HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Michael Leighton (1-year @ $900k)

Old
07-01-2012, 09:36 PM
nuclear reactor

vCash: 500
oh and to see him get booed when he is announced on opening night.

I like the signing though!

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Reminds me of Rex Grossman to be honest

Rex was so utterly pathetic and brutal in SB ,,, Yet he got chance after chance by Bears organization to fail as we all expect he would

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:07 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Matt Carle is a NHL player. Michael Leighton is an AHL player.
Bingo. MFL is a good AHL goalie. Period.

Homer is a ****ing moron.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:09 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
oh and to see him get booed when he is announced on opening night.I like the signing though!
Homer's mission is accomplished-fans' anger and media attention are deflected from Bryz. and HFB posts, that just a few months ago were filled with Bryz hate, now are asking for him to be healthy.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:56 PM
BernieParent

This is like Barack Obama selecting Tom Arnold to be Vice-President in the belief that nobody would ever assassinate him if Arnold was second in command.

And as others have said, it's not even like Holmgren -- again! -- even bothered to wait 5 minutes into the FA period to see what his options are. How could anyone think that Michael Leighton was in any way a prized commodity to be offered something before it even starts. Probably Holmgren said to his assistants that he was busy making offers to the Parise and Suter camps.

"A backup goaltender? I don't know, do we even need one? ... Umm, I don't really care. I thought I wouldn't have to worry about goaltenders after signing Bryzgalov. ... How about just resigning Leighton? ... I don't care, give him a million. Too much? Uh, knock off $100,000. Now stop bothering me!"

Last edited by BernieParent: 07-01-2012 at 11:03 PM.
BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:35 PM
DrHamburg

oh my god you guys overreacting drive me insane lol...900K for a backup goalie. his career sv% is .902. Bob last year was .899, only .007 worse. Half the price. Leighton will start like what 20 games and 0 in the playoffs? It'll be okay, I promise. Don't jump off the bridge yet.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:49 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
oh my god you guys overreacting drive me insane lol...900K for a backup goalie. his career sv% is .902. Bob last year was .899, only .007 worse. Half the price. Leighton will start like what 20 games and 0 in the playoffs? It'll be okay, I promise. Don't jump off the bridge yet.
So you don't really care what happens in those 20 games, right? Or the potential 40-50 games if Bryzgalov gets injured? Michael Leighton, in the collective opinion of a fairly healthy majority of people here (as I've picked up on), does not provide a statistically superior chance to win games with regularity.

Like I said, part of what irks me is the seeming afterthought of just speed-dialing Leighton, despite the on- and off-ice question marks he has exhibited as a member of this franchise, and offering him (arguably) higher than what was necessary BEFORE free agency even got underway. If it was a case of mediocre FA goaltenders consistently getting in excess of $1.25-1.5 mil per season and Paul Holmgren decides to save money on signing Leighton for $900,000 as part of his master plan to offering his soul for Parise and Suter, I'd be okay. But it's like he doesn't even try.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:12 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Bingo. MFL is a good AHL goalie. Period.

Homer is a ****ing moron.
yeah and they agreed on the contract on Saturday. Which makes this signing even more deplorable.
Holmgren didnt even want to play the market for a backup goaltender. You know one that doesnt suck and is a actual NHL goalie.
Thankfully He didnt do anything else stupid. That is likely going to be later today.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Leighton will win the starting job...have a great record in the regular season....record 3 shutouts in one playoff series and then revert back to his AHL mean.....bank on it

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:07 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Leighton is pretty awful. I am disappointed. And here I was worried that Homer would sign Biron. This is much worse.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:10 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yeah and they agreed on the contract on Saturday. Which makes this signing even more deplorable.
Holmgren didnt even want to play the market for a backup goaltender. You know one that doesnt suck and is a actual NHL goalie.
Thankfully He didnt do anything else stupid. That is likely going to be later today.
Didn't want to play, or tried before Sunday and couldn't?

How do you know which agents Homer spoke with leading up to the opening of free agency? Which goalies wanted to come here, and Homer declined to offer them a contract?

Is it possible he had several targets ahead of Leighton, and after speaking with their representatives and realizing he couldn't sign any of them, ML became the next option?

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:16 AM

Someone on twitter made an interesting point. Maybe Leighton was signed because Bryz knows he's no danger to him? Let's face it, the one year when he's had a serious back up he was very dodgy.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Wow. Are you a relative or something? Leighton's behaviour from hoping one or two of his teammates gets injured, to throwing his teammates under the bus and blaming them for sucking, and then lying to the team about a serious injury, is vile and disgusting. He's a lowlife where his career is concerned. If he showed any sign of professionalism, he might not get the amount of hated he's earned. And make no mistake, he's earned every ounce he gets.
Jesus, I've never seen someone over react this much in my life.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:27 AM
kicksave27

I thought it was april 1st for a second. Then realized, crap it's july 1st. Why homer, why must you torture us?

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:53 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Jesus, I've never seen someone over react this much in my life.
Which part(s) of my post are untrue?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:14 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

For those who think this is no big deal, let's remember that the Flyers owe absolutely nothing to Michael Leighton. We just paid him $3 million over two years -- at least a million more than what anybody else would have given him. Paul Holmgren has now agreed to pay him on 3 different contracts over the last 4 years. How is that not absurd?

The negatives of this signing far outweigh the positives. That plus it's a total cockslap to every Flyers fan who can remember June 2010.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:18 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Which part(s) of my post are untrue?
Wheres this source of him putting the hex on his teammates?

If that were true he wouldnt be here today. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Leights is probably a filler anyway while paul wittles away on another contract. Leighton is more stable than bryz sometimes.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:39 AM
LSnow

I will laugh my ass off when Leighton outplays Bryzgalov next season

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:40 AM
RussianRocket10

Maybe we're saving as much money as possible to get both Suter and Parise? Not sure if I should include a or not.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:56 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
You don't know how many starts/wins he's going to get.
Nor do you. Yet my prediction (based on his career numbers) is not valid and yours (based on something other than his career numbers) is. I guess that makes sense...

Quote:
Our team defence is way worse now than it was in 2010 and 2011 so he's not going to get the benefit of people cleaning up his atrocious rebounds.
That's fine. And he won't put up the numbers he did in 2008 (EDIT: 2010...mind was on Phillies this morning). Nor do I expect him to. I expect him to put up numbers like he did when he was a backup in Carolina and Chicago, and he put up a save percentage around .900 and a GAA around 3.

Quote:
If Bryz gets injured, sick or melts down, are you really confident that Leighton is going to do the job? I would have taken Roloson, Ellis or Niitty ahead of him. That's just to start.
Good point, when Bryz got hurt/struggled this year the team was able to succeed because of the stellar play of Bob. Oh wait, he sucked this year and they still got the fifth seed with that crappy defense. I'm confident he will do it as well as any other backup we signed for the same amount of money. Roloson or Ellis I imagine will command more money than Leighton. Niitty probably will too, and frankly I wouldn't be too confident in him with his injuries.

The bottom line is if you have a problem with signing because you simply don't like Leighton, then fine. But the guys numbers throughout his career speak for themselves...he's a backup goalie. Look around the league at other teams and you'll notice that most have numbers similar to him. If you want an all-star as a backup you're dreaming (or you'll have to pay him like one). If you want someone who going to put up backup goalie numbers (which is all you need for a BACKUP), Leighton will get that job done. Simple as that.

Last edited by DrinkFightFlyers: 07-02-2012 at 07:30 AM.
DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:20 AM
nuclear reactor

This place does have the most histrionic bunch of posters around. I haven't see this much outrage from these experts since the Hyka situation.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
This is like Barack Obama selecting Tom Arnold to be Vice-President in the belief that nobody would ever assassinate him if Arnold was second in command.

And as others have said, it's not even like Holmgren -- again! -- even bothered to wait 5 minutes into the FA period to see what his options are. How could anyone think that Michael Leighton was in any way a prized commodity to be offered something before it even starts. Probably Holmgren said to his assistants that he was busy making offers to the Parise and Suter camps.

"A backup goaltender? I don't know, do we even need one? ... Umm, I don't really care. I thought I wouldn't have to worry about goaltenders after signing Bryzgalov. ... How about just resigning Leighton? ... I don't care, give him a million. Too much? Uh, knock off $100,000. Now stop bothering me!"
I still don't know how he got out of my basement to even sign the damn contract.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:40 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I still don't know how he got out of my basement to even sign the damn contract.
Looks like you need to upgrade the gimp chamber.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
This place does have the most histrionic bunch of posters around. I haven't see this much outrage from these experts since the Hyka situation.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Haha. I like how there are people who think this situation is totally and perfectly fine. I mean, it's not like Leighton has proven repeatedly that he isn't fit for NHL duties, right?

Oh, wait.