HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leinos role on the team

Old
06-29-2012, 12:46 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

vCash: 500
too many injuries last year (being his first year on the team). He is a good puck handler.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
Ha. It did end in another Leino to Pominville goal though.

Hate to separate Pominville from Vanek. Maybe we should try Leino at center between the two of them.
Although it'd be silly to try now that we have at least Roy-Hodgson-Ennis at center, that's what I wanted opening day last season (with Roy and Hecht injured) and also what I wanted early on when it was clear Leino was struggling. "If Adam can succeed there..." Plus Pommers can play center defensively and take draws.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Revelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Although it'd be silly to try now that we have at least Roy-Hodgson-Ennis at center, that's what I wanted opening day last season (with Roy and Hecht injured) and also what I wanted early on when it was clear Leino was struggling. "If Adam can succeed there..." Plus Pommers can play center defensively and take draws.
Yeah it was only half sarcasm, as that's what I wanted last year too.

I do worry Leino - Hodgson - Pominville would be too slow. Although I think Leino is deceptively quick, he isn't a known for his speed. Also, as I mentioned before, i'm not fond of breaking up Vanek and Pominville. I wish we could clone Pommers. He's not the traditional type of "make the players around him better" player, but he does.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:37 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Scoring line winger, preferably the second line. He's not a good two way player, nor will he be. Just because Lindy tries to jam that square peg into a round hole with everyone doesn't mean it's going to happen. Utilize him for what he's good at. Offensive zone faceoffs and powerplays.
He was a pretty good two way guy in Philly, often took the center role in the defensive zone for briere....he isn't great but he can play on a two way line if needed

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:29 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
To be honest, that probably doesn't stink all that much. It's entirely probable that Ruff would try others in Foligno's place over the course of the season as he's a rookie and also isn't on the same level as the other two offensively. Since that line was used in a highly offensively-biased role, it would probably work out. Though I obviously want to see that line given every opportunity to build on last year just like everyone else, Ennis+Stafford is the real time-tested chemistry combination.
Didnt leino have some chemistry with those two in the preseason last year? Maybe that is his spot when they cool down with foligno.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:34 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
I really feel like people are going to be pretty happy with the season(+playoffs ) Leino puts together next season. I don't think it will live up to the contract, but I don't think anyone ever really thought he would. I will be extremely upset and very surprised if he doesn't get 40 points. I think Ruff will find a player that he works with.

This is contingent on him not being 3rd line center if the 3rd line is being used like the Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta line that he ended up filling in for after the trade deadline.

I'd strongly consider Leino at LW and moving Vanek to RW, though I prefer Vanek play RW when it can be helped. Leino-Hodgson-Vanek gives him two guys with the hockey smarts and the shots that I think he could really excel with. The line would be weak defensively and, well, quite slow, but if it becomes the line getting all the offensive zone starts it has serious puck possession and goal scoring potential. This isn't my ideal line-up scenario, just an idea.

The Leino-Ennis-Stafford line suggested earlier is also very intriguing. It's a line we basically recommended last offseason (with Leino at center and Ennis at wing) as being closest to the Leino-Briere-Hartnell set-up that worked so well. It would not be very good defensively but it would have good speed, draw easy competition, and get a fair number of offensive zone starts.
this is exactly what I was thinking

Old
06-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Havok89

He's very similar to Brad Boyes. The odd man out of our top 6 wingers, and not suited for a 3rd or 4th line role.

He would have a better offensive year if he was in the top six and given more powerplay time, just like Brad Boyes.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:08 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Guy has skills, Ruff just destroys his useable assets.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Guy has skills, Ruff just destroys his useable assets.

Is Leino Braveheart in the second video? Gladiator?

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:43 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Is Leino Braveheart in the second video? Gladiator?
Lein_ is legend. Nuff sedd.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Lein_ is legend. Nuff sedd.
Like what you did there.

Reminds me of andy _elmore.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:56 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Leino's role on the team right now is that he doesn't have one until he makes one. We're still waiting for him to do what he was signed to do, or to do anything else particularly well.

I think it's pointless to speculate at what he might turn out to be good at until he shows us something. Sooner or later, he'll get comfortable somewhere, you'd hope.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:02 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Like what you did there.

Reminds me of andy _elmore.
An_y _elmore, actually, and he was indeed the inspiration

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote