HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ducks sign Sheldon Souray. 3 years 3.67 mil

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2012, 10:02 PM
  #26
DuckJet
Destiny pls
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,769
vCash: 69
My biggest problem is this 3 years could serve as a block for guys like Vatanen

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:07 PM
  #27
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
My biggest problem is this 3 years could serve as a block for guys like Vatanen
Lydman has one season left on his contract, and I don't think anyone expects Souray to play the entire season. No one is being blocked. Being able to patiently develop in the minors shouldn't be seen as a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I don't love this signing at all.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
  #28
DuckJet
Destiny pls
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,769
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Lydman has one season left on his contract, and I don't think anyone expects Souray to play the entire season. No one is being blocked. Being able to patiently develop in the minors shouldn't be seen as a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I don't love this signing at all.
That's a good point...it's actually not my biggest problem. Poor wording on my part. Term and price are still wrong to me.

I do like that the guy seems very excited to play here.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:14 PM
  #29
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly
 
jax00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaslime
Country: United States
Posts: 8,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I do like that the guy seems very excited to play here.
I bet he flipped **** when he saw that contact offer.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
  #30
Chistov23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Memorial Cup 2005
Posts: 1,441
vCash: 500
I like this signing. The 3rd year obviously sucks but thats probably the only way we could get him. Souray matched up against Perry and Getz last season and he pretty much man-handled Perry every single time. Souray will slash and cross-check first and then ask questions later, which is something our D has lacked since Pronger left.

When Visnovsky was dealt, Murray stated it was about changing the look of our defense. Well taking out a 5'11 and 6'1 D and bringing in 6'5 and 6'4. Finally, players will pay a price to stand in the crease.

Chistov23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
  #31
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,383
vCash: 500
Definatly a Brookbank replacement

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:31 PM
  #32
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim
 
ShadowDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 150
3 ****ing years??? Jesus Christ that's a terrible deal

ShadowDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:56 PM
  #33
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs
 
davidy2d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Don't hate this and it's still better than what Wideman got, or what Carle would have cost us. At the very least it fills a need and we get some much needed grit.

davidy2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:59 PM
  #34
Papaspud
Bring on...
 
Papaspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the ketchup!!
Posts: 7,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
That's a good point...it's actually not my biggest problem. Poor wording on my part. Term and price are still wrong to me.

I do like that the guy seems very excited to play here.
Of course he's excited to play here(meaning SoCal), kducks and I met one of his lady "fans" that probably precipitated his messy divorce at an oiler/queens game at the stapler 2 years ago. They were screaming "what kind of name is Sheldon anyway?" and she'd scream back at them " A sexy one!!!" It's been an inside joke about the name Sheldon ever since.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
  #35
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly
 
jax00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaslime
Country: United States
Posts: 8,560
vCash: 500
I just can't believe Murray would make this deal given the fact he's gotta be on the hot seat. You're gonna roll the dice on a guy who's been in the minors twice the last few seasons? You're gonna live and die with THIS deal?

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:24 PM
  #36
Papaspud
Bring on...
 
Papaspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the ketchup!!
Posts: 7,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
I just can't believe Murray would make this deal given the fact he's gotta be on the hot seat. You're gonna roll the dice on a guy who's been in the minors twice the last few seasons? You're gonna live and die with THIS deal?
....and tie the team to a 3 year deal? The cap hit will haunt us long after BM is drawing unemployment.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:27 PM
  #37
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,135
vCash: 500
I don't think this will be the deal that he lives or dies by. Souray wasn't brought in to be on our top pairing, and I doubt that he's on the second pairing for that matter. It's a strange signing, but not a significant one.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:32 PM
  #38
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly
 
jax00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaslime
Country: United States
Posts: 8,560
vCash: 500
I kinda meant him and Allen together. He's gonna live and die by both of them.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:41 PM
  #39
Quattro
Registered User
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 4,212
vCash: 500
I actually like Souray but holy crap 3 yrs at that much $? Yikes.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:00 AM
  #40
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Y'all are acting foolish

You can't sit here and criticize Murray for making the team bigger and tougher, when before we signed anyone alot of you were whining we werent getting anything done.

It's easy to sit here and say who we should and should not sign but we have to overpay to get people to come here.

We're a bigger, nastier, and tougher team than we were yesterday, Souray will be a big addition to our PP mark my words, and he's a high character guy who will stand up for his teammates.

Before casting aspertions let's wait and see how he plays, because with all of your pre-conceived notions you people will never give him a fair chance

this is the going rate for defensemen, deal with it, or we can stand on the sidelines and do nothing, or do such things as trade Bobby Ryan.

You can't sit here earlier in the day and say we shouldn't rely on Vatanen, then when we make moves to protect ourselves if he's not ready, you STILL whine and complain.

Tell us what you would have done, and then be reasonable with the current going rate for defensemen

Fowler/Beauch
Sbisa/Allen
Souray/Lydman

that's a much better group of Dmen than we had a year ago

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
  #41
Static
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 17,524
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
I don't know why anyone is whining about the money either. Who cares, we're a billion dollars from the cap and still under the floor by several million.

The term is bad, but only in the sense that he'll never make it that long. Logistically it means nothing for the team since we'll never be cap strapped, and for the most part after these next rounds of re-ups will have nobody of note to sign.

We gave an ant a big piece of chicken because there isn't anyone to eat the food anyway. BFD.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:33 AM
  #42
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei
 
Doothpick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 771
vCash: 500
Only thing I'm worried about that how long it takes before one of his blasts from the point breaks Perry's foot. Pre-season?

Doothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:10 AM
  #43
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Worst case scenario is.....we buy out Souray at the end of his deal. If he's healthy he's still a quality player obviously you can only count on him for 50-60 games, but those 20 or so games will be a good opportunity for say Vatanen or Clark to get their feet wet. If he can score some goals on our PP and be solid on our 3rd d pairing he'll make our team better, I don't think he's coming in to matchup with top lines or anything. Our team is in dire need of toughness and character guys...plus Souray has a hot GF that will be at all the games......

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:26 AM
  #44
Gibsons Finest
Beast
 
Gibsons Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saskatoon/Brandon
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
I just can't believe Murray would make this deal given the fact he's gotta be on the hot seat. You're gonna roll the dice on a guy who's been in the minors twice the last few seasons? You're gonna live and die with THIS deal?
Well, it's not like he was in the minors because of his play. He was there because he and the Oilers had a very messy divorce and they buried him.

And making moves that aren't in the best interests of the team, but best interests in trying to keep your job, isn't a good strategy. That's how you end up trading Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton for Phil Kessel.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:28 AM
  #45
2faded
Registered User
 
2faded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lomita, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Worst case scenario is.....we buy out Souray at the end of his deal. If he's healthy he's still a quality player obviously you can only count on him for 50-60 games, but those 20 or so games will be a good opportunity for say Vatanen or Clark to get their feet wet. If he can score some goals on our PP and be solid on our 3rd d pairing he'll make our team better, I don't think he's coming in to matchup with top lines or anything. Our team is in dire need of toughness and character guys...plus Souray has a hot GF that will be at all the games......
Is it too late to offer him $4m to have her sit behind the other teams coach?

2faded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:45 AM
  #46
rollingdux
Registered User
 
rollingdux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: So Cal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 500
So Murray says don't expect much to happen and he goes and makes 4 signings on the 1st day of free agency.... LOL

I won't judge the guy's play until I see him in a Ducks jersey.

So looks like Murray meant we're getting bigger on D and younger upfront. (?)

Quote:
@AnaheimDucks

Souray: "To be in southern California and be near my family, I feel I'll be able to play my best hockey. I think my best years are ahead."

Souray: "I like bringing character and experience...I'm looking forward to getting to Anaheim and meeting expectations for me & the team."
Definitely hope so.

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:01 AM
  #47
Papaspud
Bring on...
 
Papaspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the ketchup!!
Posts: 7,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Y'all are acting foolish

You can't sit here and criticize Murray for making the team bigger and tougher, when before we signed anyone alot of you were whining we werent getting anything done.

It's easy to sit here and say who we should and should not sign but we have to overpay to get people to come here.

We're a bigger, nastier, and tougher team than we were yesterday, Souray will be a big addition to our PP mark my words, and he's a high character guy who will stand up for his teammates.

Before casting aspertions let's wait and see how he plays, because with all of your pre-conceived notions you people will never give him a fair chance

this is the going rate for defensemen, deal with it, or we can stand on the sidelines and do nothing, or do such things as trade Bobby Ryan.

You can't sit here earlier in the day and say we shouldn't rely on Vatanen, then when we make moves to protect ourselves if he's not ready, you STILL whine and complain.

Tell us what you would have done, and then be reasonable with the current going rate for defensemen

Fowler/Beauch
Sbisa/Allen
Souray/Lydman

that's a much better group of Dmen than we had a year ago

Really?
Okay, I've felt his shot playing pick-up. Not that hard, and not that hard to deflect into a corner. I've faced this gentleman, and have sustained worse bruises from National players, and AHL players. Guess I dont know what I'm talking about huh?

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:07 AM
  #48
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia
 
TheFlyingV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
....and tie the team to a 3 year deal? The cap hit will haunt us long after BM is drawing unemployment.
Until we spend to the cap, this is not an issue.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:10 AM
  #49
Professor John Frink
Registered User
 
Professor John Frink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,678
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Something else to note. With these signings we are still 7.1 million under the cap floor. Now if Selanne comes back that is probably 3 million or so but needless to say we needed to spend some money this offseason simply to get to the cap floor.

I, like others, don't mind Souray as a player and the money doesn't really matter especially with Lydman a UFA after the season. The length of the deal gets me. But I also imagine many teams offered two year deals. The Ducks adding the 3rd is the only reason he went with us.

It isn't a great deal but I don't think it's too bad either. As with everything time will tell.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:16 AM
  #50
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17,602
vCash: 500
Well if Souray stinks, then we'll all get what we want, and that's Murray fired........win/win situation in my book..

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.