HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Does Scott's signing suggest a different setup?

Old
07-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Husko

vCash: 500
Does Scott's signing suggest a different setup?

So, I've made clear the past couple weeks that I thought we would run a 3 scoring line, 1 checking line offensive setup, with Kaleta and Gerbe as 2/3 of a 4th line checking line.

However, does this move suggest maybe we won't? I think maybe it's possible we will run with 2 pure offensive line (1 top line and 1 easy matchups line), a 2-way offensive line that sees checking assignments (see: Drury's line 05-07), and a traditional, 4th line hitting and grinding line.

(Without additions [which I don't predict])
Top offensive line: Vanek-Hodgson-Leino
Easy matchups line: Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
2-way line: Gerbe-Roy/Other center-Pominville
Grinder line: Tropp, McCormick, Kaleta, Scott, etc.

Biggest problem I see is the already discussed one of Leino. I'd prefer someone not just better, but bigger (Ryan zomg) there.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
So, I've made clear the past couple weeks that I thought we would run a 3 scoring line, 1 checking line offensive setup, with Kaleta and Gerbe as 2/3 of a 4th line checking line.

However, does this move suggest maybe we won't? I think maybe it's possible we will run with 2 pure offensive line (1 top line and 1 easy matchups line), a 2-way offensive line that sees checking assignments (see: Drury's line 05-07), and a traditional, 4th line hitting and grinding line.

Biggest problem I see is the already discussed one of Leino. I'd prefer someone not just better, but bigger (Ryan zomg) there.
I don't think that's out of the question. I'm not really sure that Roy is the right two-way guy - rather have Ott.

A Scott - McCormick - Kaleta line in the grinder role, seven minutes a game, seems reasonable.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I don't think that's out of the question. I'm not really sure that Roy is the right two-way guy - rather have Ott.

A Scott - McCormick - Kaleta line in the grinder role, seven minutes a game, seems reasonable.
I don't think he's the right guy at all, but he might be all we have to work with.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

For the 8 games a year he'll play? I doubt it.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Imlach a cup

The way Darcy and Devine have been talking you think maybe they want Girgs there? Seams to be a lot of chatter that he may play this season.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Der Jaeger

Quote:
I don't think he's the right guy at all, but he might be all we have to work with.
Wouldn't have been my first choice, no. Would have rather had one of the multiple grinders that signed today.

Old
McTank

He wont play to much, play him against our division(especially boston)
A Scott-Mccormick-Kaleta line could definately be intimidating

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
For the 8 games a year he'll play? I doubt it.
I think he plays a lot more than 8. He played 35 last season.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Husko

Quote:
Wouldn't have been my first choice, no. Would have rather had one of the multiple grinders that signed today.
Honestly, I don't think they'd be the right guy either. We need someone who can carry some offense too, especially playing with Pominville. We'll need offensive production out of his line. Think Drury while he was here, that's what I want from this guy. Obviously we won't get that much, but there might be someone of that ilk.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think they'd be the right guy either. We need someone who can carry some offense too, especially playing with Pominville. We'll need offensive production out of his line. Think Drury while he was here, that's what I want from this guy. Obviously we won't get that much, but there might be someone of that ilk.
If you assume that your model at the top is what Regier and Ruff are going off:

Scoring line 1 (best talent): Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Scoring line 2 (easy match-ups): Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Two-way line: Gerbe - Roy - Leino
Grinder line: Scott - McCormick - Kaleta

Looking at the free agent / trade market, I'd look at another winger (Ryan), and then probably a center to replace the one that Buffalo probably has to trade to get Ryan.

So, some of the guys that went today could've been on Buffalo's grinder line.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I dont think so, I think they bid on a few of the centers lost out and took what they could get....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I posted this elsewhere but there is the possibility that they shuffle him into the lineup to support the trio of more rugged kids they ended this past season with. If they continue to have Foligno, Tropp and McNabb in the lineup as they were to end the year, they have three kids who are keen to play the man. They now have someone who has their back when it's go-time. It may be that the Sabres brass are looking to bring along their own bangers and do so with someone who can ride shotgun for them at times.

Or, it could simply be a guy who can swing to 4th line or 3rd pairing minutes and mangle people in fights while not providing much in terms of real hockey skills. He's versatile but terrible.

07-01-2012, 11:56 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I don't think he was signed with lineup projections in mind. I really don't. I don't see him in the everyday plans...so no.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:50 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

If John Scott is helping dictate the system the Sabres play, we're basically admitting we're ****ed, right? A borderline NHL guy with 5 career points in 4 years? I frankly think Scott would be best used to instill a tough guy vibe down in Rochester and maybe help our prospects grow in a system that beats people up a little, so they're ready to be physically aggressive when they get here. I'd be fine with that, I guess, but I thought we already got Joe Finley for that job.

I don't want to see him in an NHL sweater anytime soon unless he plays way over his head. Didn't we get Joe Finley for the same reason? Did we really need another 6'8" guy who can't play?

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Kruschiki

If anything, we'll see a lot more of the top 3 lines when he's dressed.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:23 AM
HiddenInLight

The guy is going to be in the press box enough to just ask for 'The Usual'

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I hardly see him having an impact on how the line-ups are shaped. He'll end up in 30 games and in those games he'll get 5 minutes and other guys will double shift. Let's be clear, the guy is there to fight and that's it. He's not a good hockey player by any account.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I hardly see him having an impact on how the line-ups are shaped. He'll end up in 30 games and in those games he'll get 5 minutes and other guys will double shift. Let's be clear, the guy is there to fight and that's it. He's not a good hockey player by any account.
And I'm ok with that for $600K and 1 year. How much more effective can Kaleta be when he runs someone and they can't touch him because it will anger the big man? How much more can Gerbe, Tropp, whoever get away with?

It should also make players think twice about making contact, especially questionable hits, with any of our "midgets"/star players if they know the next shift they may go toe-to-toe with someone 6'8" 270 that has a 24-0 fighting record.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
And I'm ok with that for $600K and 1 year. How much more effective can Kaleta be when he runs someone and they can't touch him because it will anger the big man? How much more can Gerbe, Tropp, whoever get away with?

It should also make players think twice about making contact, especially questionable hits, with any of our "midgets"/star players if they know the next shift they may go toe-to-toe with someone 6'8" 270 that has a 24-0 fighting record.
I was not criticizing the signing, just addressing the question of the topic. In terms of how the lines are structured he should have the least impact of any forward on the roster.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I was not criticizing the signing, just addressing the question of the topic. In terms of how the lines are structured he should have the least impact of any forward on the roster.
Oh, yeah. I was basically agreeing with you and adding his additional potential benefit.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I posted this elsewhere but there is the possibility that they shuffle him into the lineup to support the trio of more rugged kids they ended this past season with. If they continue to have Foligno, Tropp and McNabb in the lineup as they were to end the year, they have three kids who are keen to play the man. They now have someone who has their back when it's go-time. It may be that the Sabres brass are looking to bring along their own bangers and do so with someone who can ride shotgun for them at times.

Or, it could simply be a guy who can swing to 4th line or 3rd pairing minutes and mangle people in fights while not providing much in terms of real hockey skills. He's versatile but terrible.
The first part of your statement is what I was thinking last night and posted above. I don't think it's the greatest idea, but I also don't think it's the worst.

During the late run, Ruff was rolling the top three lines, with the 4th line getting about seven minutes TOI/G if I'm remembering correctly. Maybe the thinking is just what your saying, along these lines:

Quote:
Scoring line 1 (best talent): Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Two-way line: Gerbe - Roy - Leino
Grinder line: Scott - McCormick - Kaleta
A different lineup might be:
Scoring line 1: Vanek - Hodgson - Tropp
Two-way line: Leino - Roy - Pominville
Grinder line: Gerbe/Tropp - McCormick - Kaleta

Not an overwhelming lineup, but I can see the logic. It seems to be along the "if we're healthy" line of logic, which I don't agree with.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
DixonWard15

He is an enforcer that isn't going to dress for every game, I don't see his signing as a direction change for the organization. The Club has talked about drafting bigger so it makes sense that they signed a bigger forward to round out the 4th line.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Boose30

could possibly there be a bigger issue like kaleta doesn't want to resign with the team or hes asking for way to much for the very little he does and they're signing scott for insurance just in case??

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:

since you suggested it then the only thing it means is you were wrong, zomg.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
could possibly there be a bigger issue like kaleta doesn't want to resign with the team or hes asking for way to much for the very little he does and they're signing scott for insurance just in case??
Nah, they're completely different players. Scott has no value outside of fighting. Kaleta doesn't fight often (but he's pretty good at it) and is a real player with a good balance of abilities.