HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

****** !! T-shirt Poll !! ******

View Poll Results: Which t-shirt design do YOU dig?
T-shirt 1 47 55.95%
T-shirt 2 15 17.86%
T-shirt 3 3 3.57%
T-shirt 4 12 14.29%
T-shirt 5 7 8.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Habsaku

vCash: 500
Those T-shirts are pretty awefull compared to the Kovalchuk army ones. Someone can probably do a lot better then anything presented.

Old
04-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Bergeron47

I dont follow the Canadiens much, can someone please explain to me the potatoe thing?

Old
04-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47
I dont follow the Canadiens much, can someone please explain to me the potatoe thing?
Someone else will. It's getting quite lame, frankly. Let's move on.

Old
04-13-2006, 06:01 PM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
The difference is that a trademark is intellectual property (as defined by the Canadian trademarks act)

any such mark gives the owner the right to sue any other person who uses this mark in any way that diminishes its economic value. Ex.: if we make t-shirts with the CH logo on it, we won't buy t-shirts from the Canadiens. So they will be losing money.

A name is not property. You can protect your name by a personal action if you feel your name has been misused. But in this instance we're not misusing anyone's name.
So, lets say a paper prints a picture of a Hab player on the ice or where ever. The Hab players has his jersey on... To print the picture, you need permission of the Habs because of the logo?

Old
04-13-2006, 06:09 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
The difference is that a trademark is intellectual property (as defined by the Canadian trademarks act)

any such mark gives the owner the right to sue any other person who uses this mark in any way that diminishes its economic value. Ex.: if we make t-shirts with the CH logo on it, we won't buy t-shirts from the Canadiens. So they will be losing money.

A name is not property. You can protect your name by a personal action if you feel your name has been misused. But in this instance we're not misusing anyone's name.
didn't the guys said it was okay if they give the money to the Habs fondation???

Old
04-13-2006, 06:18 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous
So, lets say a paper prints a picture of a Hab player on the ice or where ever. The Hab players has his jersey on... To print the picture, you need permission of the Habs because of the logo?
No because you're not selling t-shirts which takes money away from the Habs.

You're media and you have a consitutional right to inform the public.

Old
04-13-2006, 06:18 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50
didn't the guys said it was okay if they give the money to the Habs fondation???
That would be an excellent idea.

Old
04-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Talent Analyst

Number one is very nice

Old
04-13-2006, 06:30 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
No because you're not selling t-shirts which takes money away from the Habs.

You're media and you have a consitutional right to inform the public.
So I could go to the Bell Center every game, take some pics and at the door sell some magazine with the picks to inform the public of the season the Habs are having?

Sorry I not trying to be an ***, I just want to understand it. Just trying to see where the line is crossed.

Old
04-13-2006, 06:41 PM
DicAnns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent
Yeah the legal question is good.

Really, whoever created the "Drive For 25" slogan owns that, We could own the concept of having a potato on a brown shirt.

But the CH and Downey Potatoes are not ours.

But I'm no lawyer.
We definitely have no right to use the CH logo.
However, I don't see the club suing us because of that if we're only a few bozos to wear them and that we don't resell them for profit.

"Downey Potatoes" might also be a registered trademark, somebody should try to find this out.

If "Downey Potatoes" and "Drive for 25" are not yet registered, someone should pick them up... great marketing potential!

Old
04-13-2006, 06:44 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabs73

If "Downey Potatoes" and "Drive for 25" are not yet registered, someone should pick them up... great marketing potential!
Yeah, they might even be able to sell the drive for 25 to the Habs!

Old
04-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22
are you actually going to have these T shirts made? if so how do we go about requesting one, and how much do you want for it?

lol @ your avatar

nice one

Old
04-14-2006, 01:09 AM
The n00b King ©*

The Downey potatoes might be registered, but in Ontario. So that would have no effect here.

I think we should querry the legal department of the Canadiens and ask them the question about the logo.

In this instance any "profit" that we would make (which we wouldnt make any as everyone who would pay for the shirt would essentially pay for them to get made and therefore nullifying the original cost) would go to a foundation. But like im saying, there's not going to be any profit. So i think we're okay on that one. But it doesnt hurt to ask.

Thus far, it says that a lil over 50% of the people like the first shirt better. Which is fine, we can use that and put the habs logo on the potato somewhere.

My question though what color do we want the shirts to be in? Some say brown (which i personally prefer, although the shirt that is shown there doesnt mean that that will be the actual shirt or color) and some want it black.

So i'll add that to the pole.

Old
04-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Bunka Gurndeep

I would like black shirts.

Old
04-14-2006, 01:54 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous
So I could go to the Bell Center every game, take some pics and at the door sell some magazine with the picks to inform the public of the season the Habs are having?

Sorry I not trying to be an ***, I just want to understand it. Just trying to see where the line is crossed.
That's the beauty of Law arguments, the closer you get to the line, the more blurry it is.

In this last case, I remind you that pictures of Habs players aren't trademarks. Just cuz they're wearing Habs shirts doesn't count. You'd be infringing other rights, but not trademark rights IMO. So, I'm not so sure. I don't think you'd be allowed, but it could go either way.

The rule on trademarks is pretty simple though. If you use a mark to help sell products, and someone else uses the same mark to sell similar products, then he's infringing on your proprietary right.

Ex.: Habs use CH logo to sell Merchendise. Joe Blow from the street can't just use the CH logo to sell similar merchendise.

The same way I can't just go and start making shoes and put a Nike Swoosh on them.

Oh.. and I like the potato-sack brown color.

Old
04-14-2006, 02:01 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Speaking of trademarks, isnt the Stanley Cup a registered TM of the National Hockey League?

Old
04-14-2006, 02:11 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz
Speaking of trademarks, isnt the Stanley Cup a registered TM of the National Hockey League?
probably. it's easy for people to be "designer du jour" when they dont know anything about design.

Hence why i still think the potato is our best bet.

Old
04-14-2006, 02:12 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Those T-shirts are pretty awefull compared to the Kovalchuk army ones. Someone can probably do a lot better then anything presented.
kovy army t-shirt is probably the gayest thing ever made.

Old
04-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47
A couple of weeks ago, we had 2 games against Toronto. Between the two games, Aaron Downey and his dad and/or uncle showed up at Habs practice with a pick-up truck full of 10 lb bags of potatoes. Downey's family runs a potato farm in Ontario. They gave out one bag to each player and coaching staff member.

I believe our record is now 9-2-0 since then (including 7 straight wins following the handout).

Old
04-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
kovy army t-shirt is probably the gayest thing ever made.
Well we don't have the same definition of "gay".

IMO a Shoe salesman @ Aldo = Gay

Closed Thread