HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adrian Aucoin to columbus

Old
07-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/CLB?year=2013

We HAVE to spend at least $54.2 million on Salary. That's the minimum required by the league. Don't worry about the $800,000. Currently, with Aucoin and WITH Nash we are at $51.3 million...WITHOUT Nash we are at $43.572. So, even if we kept Nash for the entire 2012-3 season, we still need to spend another $2.9 Million on depth players. If we trade Nash, we will need to take some serious salary in return and overpay a few FAs to reach the required payroll.

More than anything..i hope Aucoin is a good "player/coach" for helping Moore and Murray. Not as worried about what his on ice results will be, as we have too many other issues with this team.
My thoughts exactly. Really, this is a "meh" signing, as it's unlikely that Aucoin will be the force he was for a long time. He'll be a good #6/7/8 guy that is solid in the locker room and helps us bring the kids along. Look at some of the guys he's mentored in Phoenix and how they've turned out...

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:23 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

We HAVE to spend at least $54.2 million on Salary. That's the minimum required by the league. Don't worry about the $800,000. Currently, with Aucoin and WITH Nash we are at $51.3 million...WITHOUT Nash we are at $43.572. So, even if we kept Nash for the entire 2012-3 season, we still need to spend another $2.9 Million on depth players. If we trade Nash, we will need to take some serious salary in return and overpay a few FAs to reach the required payroll.

More than anything..i hope Aucoin is a good "player/coach" for helping Moore and Murray. Not as worried about what his on ice results will be, as we have too many other issues with this team.
Don't forget, there is a certain goaltender that on the trade block that commands a large salary and is signed for the next decade....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:32 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Don't forget, there is a certain goaltender that on the trade block that commands a large salary and is signed for the next decade....

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:59 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:

And a no-trade contract. He's not coming here unless I'm greatly surprised.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
You mean the certain goaltender that used his veto power on a no-trade clause to avoid being traded to Chicago and Toronto? He's hot for Columbus?

Bobcat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
You mean the certain goaltender that used his veto power on a no-trade clause to avoid being traded to Chicago and Toronto? He's hot for Columbus?
He wouldn't have the media breathing down his neck at every opportunity, he could come and go without being bothered, and there's no pressure on him to win immediately or else be regarded as a colossal disappointment.

Yes, I think there may be some appeal there if a deal were worked out.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
bizzz*

I knew one guy back in Russia who has been AA's personal fan forever. I thought that AA is underrated d-man when he was younger, during his stint with the Islanders. I like this signing and hope he still has something in the tank to run for 1 more year. At least we saved 1 million on bottom-pairing defenceman and added another young forward.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:40 AM
elias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
I knew one guy back in Russia who has been AA's personal fan forever. I thought that AA is underrated d-man when he was younger, during his stint with the Islanders. I like this signing and hope he still has something in the tank to run for 1 more year. At least we saved 1 million on bottom-pairing defenceman and added another young forward.
Did you just mention me?))))
Cause I don't know other fan of oakie in Russia except myself )))

elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:43 AM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Source please? That has not been the case at all or even reported here in Vancouver at all.

He will prob go to Miami or the Leafs, or could be the 1b goalie in Van. stranger things have happened. With the team basically giving CS the #1 spot, less pressure for Lou, and he would suddenly be the best backup in the NHL, expensive yes, but whatever.

Acoin is a good signing for your young D

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:01 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias View Post

Did you just mention me?))))
Cause I don't know other fan of oakie in Russia except myself )))
Yeah. The world is soooo small and time runs so fast I didn't know you've being here on HF boards. I still remember attending the CBJ-NYI game back in 2003 with Viking when I was watching Aucoin closely cause I knew he's got personal fan in Russia and that was strange Oh, memories...

Old
07-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Source please? That has not been the case at all or even reported here in Vancouver at all.
"Luongo using the power of his no-trade to "steer" a trade to ‪#Panthers‬ as much as possible at this point in off-season."
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...40753729044481

"Only place Luongo is willing to be traded, as of today, is back to the Florida ‪#Panthers‬."
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...38924236566528

"Told by very good source ‪#Canucks‬ G Roberto Luongo has - to this point -- declined to waive no-trade clause to go to ‪#Blackhawks‬ or ‪#Leafs‬."
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...38812118614016

I'm making an educated guess that Porty's "very good source" is related to the CBJ organization. So, I'm kind of reading this as Howson put the feelers out to Canucks and the Canucks basically replied "Hey...don't take this personally, as he already turned down Chicago and Toronto, but Columbus probably wouldn't be an acceptable destination for him. Right now, he's only OK'd returning to Florida."

FWIW...a bleacher report blogger on June 24th also reported only Florida at this point. However, link won't post. I think HFboards has some type of block on them. But here's some of the info:

"Roberto Luongo is one of the biggest names on the trade market, and news came out today that the All-Star netminder would only move his no-movement clause for a trade to the Florida Panthers. Luongo spends his offseason in Florida, and a report by The Fourth Period lays the situation out clearly:

The Florida Panthers are serious about bringing back Roberto Luongo to South Florida, one league source told TFP on Sunday.

Speaking on the basis of anonymity, the source indicated that Luongo is now only willing to waive his no-movement clause to Florida, where he spends his off-seasons.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are also among the teams extremely interested in acquiring Luongo, who has 10-years left on his contract, but unless the veteran netminder changes his mind in the near future, that doesn't appear to be a possibility.

It's believed the Vancouver Canucks are demanding a package that includes center Nick Bjugstad, something the Panthers are not willing to do.
"

Last edited by Bobcat110: 07-02-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old
07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Tyutin,Nikitin
J.Johnson, Wisniewski
Moore/Murray, Aucoin

if not other trades

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:

Tim Thomas says hello.

Stretch Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Nordique

Its alot of jack for a 40(?) year old 7th defenseman. Hell I remember him from the SCF Canuck's team in '96. This is what we mean when we say Columbus has to overpay free agents to get them signed.

I'm also curious from reading this thread, why is it no big deal to overpay this guy, but that Methot contract was such a big problem?

He's a fine depth signing, but he's being paid 2nd/3rd pairing dollars.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:59 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Its alot of jack for a 40(?) year old 7th defenseman. Hell I remember him from the SCF Canuck's team in '96. This is what we mean when we say Columbus has to overpay free agents to get them signed.

I'm also curious from reading this thread, why is it no big deal to overpay this guy, but that Methot contract was such a big problem?

Methot past this season was the problem. His stock wasn't going up, only down here and he multiple years left.

Aucoin will be a cheaper, one year bridge to the younger guys that are still developing. Expect Savard, Ruth, Holden and Golo (maybe Weber) to be in the mix for this position next season.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:

Not by today's standards.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

He's due to make less than Methot each of the next 3 seasons.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Methot past this season was the problem. His stock wasn't going up, only down here and he multiple years left.

Aucoin will be a cheaper, one year bridge to the younger guys that are still developing. Expect Savard, Ruth, Holden and Golo (maybe Weber) to be in the mix for this position next season.
Well the one year nature of the contract I do like, as we are clearly on the cusp of a youth movement on defense. I still find 2 million excessive, but thats how it goes for the CBJ in the market.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:24 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
"Luongo using the power of his no-trade to "steer" a trade to ‪#Panthers‬ as much as possible at this point in off-season."
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...40753729044481

"Only place Luongo is willing to be traded, as of today, is back to the Florida ‪#Panthers‬."
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...38924236566528

"Told by very good source ‪#Canucks‬ G Roberto Luongo has - to this point -- declined to waive no-trade clause to go to ‪#Blackhawks‬ or ‪#Leafs‬."
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...38812118614016

I'm making an educated guess that Porty's "very good source" is related to the CBJ organization. So, I'm kind of reading this as Howson put the feelers out to Canucks and the Canucks basically replied "Hey...don't take this personally, as he already turned down Chicago and Toronto, but Columbus probably wouldn't be an acceptable destination for him. Right now, he's only OK'd returning to Florida."

FWIW...a bleacher report blogger on June 24th also reported only Florida at this point. However, link won't post. I think HFboards has some type of block on them. But here's some of the info:

"Roberto Luongo is one of the biggest names on the trade market, and news came out today that the All-Star netminder would only move his no-movement clause for a trade to the Florida Panthers. Luongo spends his offseason in Florida, and a report by The Fourth Period lays the situation out clearly:

The Florida Panthers are serious about bringing back Roberto Luongo to South Florida, one league source told TFP on Sunday.

Speaking on the basis of anonymity, the source indicated that Luongo is now only willing to waive his no-movement clause to Florida, where he spends his off-seasons.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are also among the teams extremely interested in acquiring Luongo, who has 10-years left on his contract, but unless the veteran netminder changes his mind in the near future, that doesn't appear to be a possibility.

It's believed the Vancouver Canucks are demanding a package that includes center Nick Bjugstad, something the Panthers are not willing to do.
"
Odd that a CBJ beat writer has a better handle of this than the local scribes. Not saying that it is true or not but is porty well connected? Has he broke a lot of trades/ signings? He seems like is is good he comes on team 1040 here in van every few weeks.
No one in van actually believes he will be traded to the hawks, it's like Nash being traded to wings. Not sure what would come back? Kane? Towes? Or one of the local dmen in Seabrook or Keith. How would Chi fans warm up to him? Vince Vaugn is not his biggest fan. Hahaha

Anyways good singing for CBJ for aucoin. He played heRe for a few years in his younger days and was a fan fav with his shot

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:43 PM
cbjfaninmo
I know nut-ting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Tim Thomas says hello.
If Thomas comes to Columbus, he won't have to worry about creating any White House controversy.

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Odd that a CBJ beat writer has a better handle of this than the local scribes. Not saying that it is true or not but is porty well connected? Has he broke a lot of trades/ signings?
He has a pretty good reputation. I don't recall anything he's said that was too far off base or highly speculative. He may only have a better handle than some Vancouver writers because he probably heard it through CBJ management position on the issue. I bet he just asked someone in CBJ organization what status was on CBJ trading for Luongo and got the "Columbus not on his radar right now, he's trying to get back to Florida" response." Which probably means Howson has at least tested the waters.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjfaninmo View Post
If Thomas comes to Columbus, he won't have to worry about creating any White House controversy.
His golf game will certainly improve...

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:36 PM
WALLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
His golf game will certainly improve...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjfaninmo View Post
I dunno... Ohio can be a magnet for political weirdness...

"As Ohio Goes, So Goes the Nation"

WALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:48 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Well the one year nature of the contract I do like, as we are clearly on the cusp of a youth movement on defense. I still find 2 million excessive, but thats how it goes for the CBJ in the market.
For 2 mil. you get:
1. Reliable d-man.
2. Great teacher for the bunch of our kids.

Just last year AA was 3rd in ice-time per-game for the Pacific division champs: http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce
So Aucoin actually was a top-4 defenceman and averaged more ice-time than Klesla. When he got injured in the playoffs Phoenix went down pretty fast (I'm not saying they would've survived with him, but you could feel his absence in the LA series). He was +5 in 11 playoffs games.
$ 2 mil. for all of that is a pretty decent deal.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Its alot of jack for a 40(?) year old 7th defenseman.
Well to be fair to CBJ, Aucoin's game was never dependent on speed, or physicality for that matter. He is the epitome of the quietly efficient veteran who has been around. (Quiet, apart from that one crazy 23-goal year.) I think that CBJ is smart to acquire a guy like that who can be a sort of playing coach to their young blueliners.

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote