HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal signs Francis Bouillon [1 year, $1.5M]

Old
07-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm sorry, but Hamrlik is a much much better d-man than Boullion, even at 38. He isn't the minute eating top 4 d-man he was with the habs, but I'd still take him over Boullion.
Maybe so, but the value for Bouillon is higher when Michel Therrien knows what he can get out of Bouillon. He wasn't as far behind Hamrlik last season as most think. When Hunter came into Washington, the team was taught defensive-minded play, which saw Ovechkin back-checking and blocking shots. In Nashville, they were piecing together a team that would strive in the playoffs.

Let's wait. I feel more safe with Bouillon under Therrien's coaching then Hamrlik.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:45 PM
durojean

vCash: 500
The way i see it

Markov Subban
Kaberle Gorges
Bouillon Emelin

Weber Diaz...

Kaberle is really not that bad and with a guy like Gorges I think he'll look awesome.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:59 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I think a lot of the dislike for Frankie is that he will be taking ice time away from Diaz. For whatever reason, Diaz is a fanboy's dream for many here and Boullion is far better than him or Weber on D.
No, I don't think it has anything to do with Diaz. Bouillon is getting old, has had some concussion issues previously, and frankly I'd rather have fresh blood than bring back a player so he can retire here.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Pleky Roks

Terrible signing!!!

The defence needs a BIG, rugged defensive defencemen not a 5'8 defencemen that we let walk away from the team 2 or 3 years ago!!!

Boullion wasn't effective back then and he's no better now....and to give him that kind of money is a huge mistake.

There are SEVERAL better options out there than Boullion.

I like the Armstrong and Prust signings though!! Prust is making a little too much money, but you always overpay for free agents.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:13 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
lolwut? Too expensive for 7th D.

What.
if you look at our dmen alignement he's a no. 5-6

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Habruti!

Some time you are just better with the devil you know then the devil you don't ... Bouillon is not the perfect D but who else here thinks none of Morgan Ellis, Nathan Beulieu, Greg Patteryn or Mark Tinnordi will not be ready for next season. You have to find a guy that is willing to come over here and play with all the heart he has knowing that his services wont be needed.

I think Bouillon is an upgrade over either Diaz or Weber, he can lineup on the right side and his steady enough to be Kaberle's partner.

The way I see this our D should look like this ...

Markov - Emelin
Subban - Gorges
Kaberle - Bouillon
Weber

Hopefully one of Beaulieu or Tinnordi will be ready during the season and we can find a taker for Kaberle

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:17 PM
zzoo

I prefer to play Diaz, Weber, St.Denis or even Tinordi or Beaulieu than Bouillon.

Bouillon was the bordeline #5 or #6 two or three years ago, and he doesn't get any better now.
Bad signing.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:20 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
Terrible signing!!!

The defence needs a BIG, rugged defensive defencemen not a 5'8 defencemen that we let walk away from the team 2 or 3 years ago!!!

Boullion wasn't effective back then and he's no better now....and to give him that kind of money is a huge mistake.

I like the Armstrong and Prust signings though!! Prust is making a little too much money, but you always overpay for free agents.
Bouillon at 1,5 is a good signing, just look at at Prust's contract(he got way too much) .......still happy to have him on the habs. And actually you know what at 1,5 i'd take him any day of the week. Thing is, we needed a top 4 and didn't get it...... get over it........ free agency this year is weird

Old
07-01-2012, 11:22 PM
larrypacman8167

guys get a clue it's a good bottom line signing ............ sorry you can't see it

Old
07-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Kirk Muller

A one year depth type of deal. Some people are making more of this than it is.

Fact is he played 17 + minutes a night on a good Nashville team. He really cant be that bad.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Habruti!

Bouillon was a borderline 5 or 6 2-3 years ago with an injured leg most of the season.

When healthy he is a solid 5-6 Dmen who skates well, makes a nice first pass and can layout some nice hits to boost. He is replacing Campoli and has I mentioned he his an upgrade over Weber and Diaz.

I would normally favor developing youg guys like Weber but to be honest we have IMO better options then him in the AHL (Tinnordi, Beaulieu, Patteryn)

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Mr. Hab

Bouillon

So happy he's back and at 1.5mil for one year.

I don't care about his lack of height...he plays bigger and has more heart than most 6'1 dmen. He is also a solid bodychecker and usually they are clean hits. And Bouillon is a warrior.

Glad he's back.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:55 PM
lou4gehrig

So Bouillon was top 6 on one of the best teams in the NHL last season and played all 10 playoff games for Nashville. And yet he's a number 7 D man on one of the worst teams in the NHL?

Hmm. Go figure.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
So Bouillon was top 6 on one of the best teams in the NHL last season and played all 10 playoff games for Nashville. And yet he's a number 7 D man on one of the worst teams in the NHL?

Hmm. Go figure.
Crazy isnt it. Yet many here seem enamoured by the crumby defense we witnessed last year.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post

Hmm. Go figure.
They had a bunch of other defensemen to clear the front of the net, who do we have?

I like Boullion, but he doesn't fill a need here.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:10 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
They had a bunch of other defensemen to clear the front of the net, who do we have?

I like Boullion, but he doesn't fill a need here.
Keeping tinordi's spot warm until he's ready in another year.

I also feel much better about this signing when I realize we exchanged him for Campoli.

Cheers!

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
Terrible signing!!!

Boullion wasn't effective? Seems like blind hate.

The guy gives it his all, and is VERY PHYSICAL,i don't know what your talking about cause you won't find many more physical guy's than him .

Who was you dreaming about Bryan Allen? He threw 111 hits in 82 games

Boullion 2010-11 had 133 hits in 44 GAMES......

I think ya need to wake up here.

Boullion got a much better more MOBILE defense to play in now....

He was good in Nashville,and darn well good enough for Habs.

As Pierre MCGUIRE said today, IF THERRIEN goes off the rails, Boullion is a guy who can keep the room in check and let everyone know he seen this before....don't underestimate the importance of that.He know's MT very well,the rest DON'T

Emelin and Boullion is bad news for opponents,between the 2 of them about 450 hits ,maybe more

Boillion went to Nashville when Montreal started to turn the team into wimps /no toughness,players like him was against the rules.

Last edited by Habaneros: 07-02-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I prefer to play Diaz, Weber, St.Denis or even Tinordi or Beaulieu than Bouillon.

Bouillon was the bordeline #5 or #6 two or three years ago, and he doesn't get any better now.
Bad signing.
Fortunately you are not the GM

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:45 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Boullion wasn't effective? Seems like blind hate.

The guy gives it his all, and is VERY PHYSICAL,i don't know what your talking about cause you won't find many more physical guy's than him .

Who was you dreaming about Bryan Allen? He threw 111 hits in 82 games

Boullion 2010-11 had 133 hits in 44 GAMES......

I think ya need to wake up here.

Boullion got a much better more MOBILE defense to play in now....

He was good in Nashville,and darn well good enough for Habs.

As Pierre MCGUIRE said today, IF THERRIEN goes off the rails, Boullion is a guy who can keep the room in check and let everyone know he seen this before....don't underestimate the importance of that.He know's MT very well,the rest DON'T

Emelin and Boullion is bad news for opponents,between the 2 of them about 450 hits ,maybe more

Boillion went to Nashville when Montreal started to turn the team into wimps /no toughness,players like him was against the rules.
Hits do not necessarily translate into defensive success.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Hits do not necessarily translate into defensive success.
True.

However, Emelin and Bouillon are both very good at picking their spots and aren't wreckless with their hitting. It is important to have the threat of big hitters on the blueline as it slows down the opposition's forecheck. This is accomplished by making forecheckers more tentative and the ability to temporarily take a forechecker out of the play, creating a numbers advantage in the d-zone.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:53 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
True.

However, Emelin and Bouillon are both very good at picking their spots and aren't wreckless with their hitting. It is important to have the threat of big hitters on the blueline as it slows down the opposition's forecheck. This is accomplished by making forecheckers more tentative and the ability to temporarily take a forechecker out of the play, creating a numbers advantage in the d-zone.
True, intimidation can have it's benefits. Definitely. I just think we need, above all else on our D, someone who can kick guys out of the crease and away from Carey.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
True, intimidation can have it's benefits. Definitely. I just think we need, above all else on our D, someone who can kick guys out of the crease and away from Carey.
Bouillon does struggle with this aspect and isn't the greatest at covering passing lanes due to his limited reach. He is however, still an upgrade on Weber, Diaz, St. Denis and Kaberle in front of the net.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

Its not that Bouillon isn't a good #5-#6, obviously he is. He held his own very well in Nashville. The problem is that our need was guy to eat 20-25 minutes like Hamrlik used to (a #2-#4) We didn't get that here.

That's the problem.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kue View Post
Its not that Bouillon isn't a good #5-#6, obviously he is. He held his own very well in Nashville. The problem is that our need was guy to eat 20-25 minutes like Hamrlik used to (a #2-#4) We didn't get that here.

That's the problem.
We weren't going to get that today, the d-men available were overrated and about to be grossly overpaid. Considering that we will have 3 top young d-prospects in Hamilton this season it didn't make sense to over commit on term and dollars to a player who wouldn't fit into our personnel plans and/or salary structure.

Bouillon is a great bridge to the young guns.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:11 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Bouillon does struggle with this aspect and isn't the greatest at covering passing lanes due to his limited reach. He is however, still an upgrade on Weber, Diaz, St. Denis and Kaberle in front of the net.
That's not saying much

I don't really mind it, but I really wanted a Bryan Allen kinda guy. If Berg is deeming this a transition year and he's giving out a few 1 year deals to hold us over, that's fine. As long as they stick to their vision of it being a transition year and not shelling out assets at the TDL when we're in 8-10th place.