HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency Frenzy -- 2012 Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 11:05 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
i guess since the ducks get defense, howard on nbc 10 says the flyers will get ryan for read, guf and a first round pick, i believe they will get ryan.
That isn't even close to what Ryan is worth.

Old
07-01-2012, 11:07 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
That isn't even close to what Ryan is worth.
Ryan's worth is not even close to what people on these boards expect it to be. Read, Gus (Im assuming thats who Guf is) and a 1st is fair IMO

Old
07-01-2012, 11:10 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
His worth is also down a lot since he wants out of ANA

Old
07-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Ryan's worth is not even close to what people on these boards expect it to be. Read, Gus (Im assuming thats who Guf is) and a 1st is fair IMO
No, it's not. Read and Gus are both free agents soon and between the two of them, they have a combined 1 pretty good season in the NHL after both being undrafted prospects.

Ryan is being over- valued, but that offer is far more embarassing than a counter involving Couts or b. schenn. Terrible

Old
07-01-2012, 11:51 PM
RussianRocket10

I hate to be Mr. Negative but what if Suter or Parise don't come here? I hope Holmgren has something for a backup plan. Let's say hypothetically that Suter signs with the Red Wings and Parise signs with the Penguins. What do we do then? Sign Carle and go into the season with the same roster + L. Schenn? Trade for Nash or Ryan?

Old
07-02-2012, 12:07 AM
JayB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
I hate to be Mr. Negative but what if Suter or Parise don't come here? I hope Holmgren has something for a backup plan. Let's say hypothetically that Suter signs with the Red Wings and Parise signs with the Penguins. What do we do then? Sign Carle and go into the season with the same roster + L. Schenn? Trade for Nash or Ryan?
I believe that Holmgren have few backup plans with trades and UFA signings. Maybe something like get Ryan here and bottom6 UFA signing.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:15 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
I believe you should have named yourself Mr. Realistic and not Mr. Negative.

For what we apparently offered both Parise and Suter, I hope they don't sign with us.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:18 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Congrats to Arron Asham for completing his Atlantic Division punch card by signing with the Rangers.

07-02-2012, 12:22 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
As much as I would hate seeing Parise and/or Suter in Pittsburgh, the least that Holmgren would have done was help to drive the cost way up and doing some messing up to their (or Detroit's) salary cap. It's a small thing, but it's still something.

And I was pretty pleased with the line-up before starting the off-season. He could add a 4th line centre (Moore?), maybe bring back Jagr and call it an off-season. Defense of Coburn / Grossmann, Timonen / Schenn, Meszaros / Gustaffson-Bourdon-Manning wouldn't be awful, and this is an excellent forward corps to give another season of maturing.

On a more impact level, Doan is still in play as a FA, and if he outwaits the Ducks, maybe the price for Ryan would come down to something affordable.

One minor irritant was seeing McClement sign for relatively little in Toronto. He seemed like a nice 4th-line C option. But today was just crazy for money and years offered to FAs. $11 mil over 3 years for Souray? $5.7 mil over 3 years for Tootoo??

Old
07-02-2012, 12:59 AM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
No, it's not. Read and Gus are both free agents soon and between the two of them, they have a combined 1 pretty good season in the NHL after both being undrafted prospects.

Ryan is being over- valued, but that offer is far more embarassing than a counter involving Couts or b. schenn. Terrible
What? Read has 2 years left at 900k a year and was just short of matching Ryan's production over the last 4 years. ANH is a budget team who has an internal cap, getting production out of guys like Read at under a mil is their bread and butter. Gus is an RFA after next year and is only 23 as well as a first? For a disgruntled 5.1 million dollar 60 point player. It's a lot closer then what people have been proposing here. And Couturier or Schenn are not being moved for Ryan.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:24 AM
BillDineen

After waking up this am, I have a scary thought. After the punch in the gut of losing out on Parise, the uppercut to the chin of losing out on Suter, we may get the boot to the balls as Homer panics and overpays for Carle. This day could end very badly.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:42 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
After waking up this am, I have a scary thought. After the punch in the gut of losing out on Parise, the uppercut to the chin of losing out on Suter, we may get the boot to the balls as Homer panics and overpays for Carle. This day could end very badly.
I have a feeling w'ell get one of them, and I think we have a better shot at it being Parise than Suter.

I don't think Carle is re-signing regardless...

Old
07-02-2012, 02:03 AM
JVR21
G

The best case scenario at this point may be homer striking out altogether. He's going to do something stupid, I can feel it.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:08 AM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
The best case scenario at this point may be homer striking out altogether. He's going to do something stupid, I can feel it.
If the Pens land Parise then watch Holmgren trade for Nash or Ryan to try and compete.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:13 AM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Only problem is if he strikes out everyone knows he's going to be looking to trade. Id much rather overpay on a stupid contract then make a dumb trade and give away assets on a dumb trade

Old
07-02-2012, 02:14 AM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Congrats to Arron Asham for completing his Atlantic Division punch card by signing with the Rangers.
I wonder if it was a goal of his for whatever reason

Old
07-02-2012, 02:14 AM

vCash: 50
It saddens me that so few have any faith in Holmgren.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
What? Read has 2 years left at 900k a year and was just short of matching Ryan's production over the last 4 years. ANH is a budget team who has an internal cap, getting production out of guys like Read at under a mil is their bread and butter. Gus is an RFA after next year and is only 23 as well as a first? For a disgruntled 5.1 million dollar 60 point player. It's a lot closer then what people have been proposing here. And Couturier or Schenn are not being moved for Ryan.
I agree. Couturier and Schenn aren't getting moved for Ryan. That's as unlikely to occur as your package. If the Flyers are to acquire Ryan without including the Schenns or Couturier, it will absolutely be for Simmonds/Voracek +. There is simply no way that Anahiem isn't getting back a younger player with considerably higher upside than Matt Read or Gustaffson.

If you don't want Bobby Ryan, that's fine, but suggesting that our lowball offer is good, especially given what this UFA market is shaping up to be, is assinine.

I also agree with everyone else that given this year's market and our current team, our best bet is likely just to stand pat and gear up for a better free agent class next year when our young guys are fully in their primes.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:27 AM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I agree. Couturier and Schenn aren't getting moved for Ryan. That's as unlikely to occur as your package. If the Flyers are to acquire Ryan without including the Schenns or Couturier, it will absolutely be for Simmonds/Voracek +. There is simply no way that Anahiem isn't getting back a younger player with considerably higher upside than Matt Read or Gustaffson.

If you don't want Bobby Ryan, that's fine, but suggesting that our lowball offer is good, especially given what this UFA market is shaping up to be, is assinine.

I also agree with everyone else that given this year's market and our current team, our best bet is likely just to stand pat and gear up for a better free agent class next year when our young guys are fully in their primes.
Eh to be honest I guess my issue is Ryan you are probably right, but yea that wasn't my proposal either. To be honest thats the most I would want to give up. But like you said I personally don't want or like Ryan. I think its great he wants to play here and I think I would be ok having him here if we didnt have to give up so much for him or I didn't think he was overpayed. I feel like he was given every chance to succeed in ANH and just is what he is.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:39 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Right now, teams are paying auction prices for players, insane auction prices in a capped league with a new CBA coming.

We literally don't need to sign another player this year, except for re-upping Jake and the other minor RFAs. I'd rather spend the money on him on a long term deal to see if we can't get value for him and sign Simmonds to an extension.

We don't need Nash, we don't even need Ryan, and I was in favor of moving JVR in a deal for Ryan. Things like a #4C or a puck-moving D in the event we don't sign Carle (which I'm in favor of given the direction of the market) we can address during the season. A #4 C costs a 2 M+ contract in this market, you can get a guy for a 3rd round pick who makes less than half that and will be just as effective during the season. Why don't we do something crazy and actually see what one of our D prospects has for a chance. Gustafsson may well be a suitable replacement for Carle at a fraction of the cost. If not, we can address it next off-season when there are some top flight PMD coming on the market.

At this point, I'm in favor of sitting this insanity out and making smart cap managerial decisions. Will that make us better than last year this season? Probably not. But it will put us in a much better situation moving forward.

Weber to me is still the big prize and if we don't blow our load now we could drive a brinks truck to his house next July 1. On D guys like Edler, Streit, Enstrom, Vlasic are all also scheduled to be UFAs, along with many others like Leopold, Klein, Regehr, Whitney, Scuderi. Up front you have guys like Perry & Getzlaf for starters, among others like Weiss, Filppula, Roy, Ribeiro, Fisher, Lupul, Horton, Zajac, Clowe, and on and on. You like your older guys like Jagr? Iginla, Elias, Visnovsky, & Koivu are all available, among others.

If we're going to blow a **** ton of money in FA, we may as well do it in a good year rather than pay 6 + Million for guys like Carle.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:59 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

It'd be hilarious if Carle ended up in Pittsburgh today. Not sure why would the Pens do it but I saw that on twitter and it caught my eye. Free turnovers for G!

Old
07-02-2012, 04:45 AM
Calderone
old time hockey

Was looking over some stats tonight and was blown away to see that Ryan Suter had LESS hits and pims than Carle. And I think most fans would consider Carle charmin-soft.

I know, I know, Suter isnt being in to be a Pronger, but I think people should remember what Suter is and isnt.. hes a legit d-man, better than Carle, but he brings no snarl or physicality to the backend, for the kinda money he'll be getting he will get blasted in this town if he never hits/fights/clears the crease.

Old
07-02-2012, 04:56 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Parise day

It's time for the Flyers to become immortal

Old
07-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderone View Post
Was looking over some stats tonight and was blown away to see that Ryan Suter had LESS hits and pims than Carle. And I think most fans would consider Carle charmin-soft.

I know, I know, Suter isnt being in to be a Pronger, but I think people should remember what Suter is and isnt.. hes a legit d-man, better than Carle, but he brings no snarl or physicality to the backend, for the kinda money he'll be getting he will get blasted in this town if he never hits/fights/clears the crease.
Suter is a better version of an in-prime Timonen. There is a post on the Trade Rumor board that said Parise is down to NJ, PIT and LA.

I don't want either, but Suter makes more sense for Philly. Either way, the Flyers are going to make Weber the highest paid player in the NHL next offseason.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderone View Post

How many of Carles hits have actually dropped the opposition player.

Suter is the best positional defenseman in the entire league. He isn't Shea Weber, he doesn't run around the ice laying people out. What he does do is

QB the PP. He's one of the best.
Good accurate shot from the point.
Best positional defenseman in the league.
Top 5 transitional player (exactly what we need in lavys system)
Shot Blocker

As was said before. He's essentially a bigger and better version of Kimmo Timonen in his prime.

Closed Thread