HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers don’t expect to re-sign Prust (Signs with Habs 4yrs $10m)

Old
07-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Got a little choked up reading that. Now I feel a bit sad.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:29 PM
ak10r

This sucks more than when Orr left….. Just have to love the guy…. Glad for him

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'm glad for Prust that he is getting a nice chunk of change from Montreal. As a pro athlete, your career can end any moment (and its short to begin with) so you should try to make as much as you can. The only thing I take issue with is him saying that we didn't want him as much as the Habs. Just because, as an organizational decision, the Rangers don't want to over-pay for you doesn't mean they don't want you on the team. I'm sure Sather, Torts, and everyone on the team wanted him back. It just did not work out because, well, 2.5 million a season is way too much for a 4th liner. I wish him luck in Montreal.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak10r View Post
This sucks more than when Orr left….. Just have to love the guy…. Glad for him
Having Prust on the team will help a guy like Subban mature that much faster...he might be overpaid but his work ethic will rub off on some of the kids in Montreal ! He was a good Ranger...but with his style of play and his penchant for fighting bigger dogs...he won't even be around the league in that 4th season IMO !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I'm kind of proud we made an 8 digit player out of a throw-in to a Jokinen deal for a salary dump and a spare part from a salary dump deal.

2 and a half pretty good seasons from Prust. Like Sjostrom before him its moving out time.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerZX101 View Post
That's because of the penalty kill & occasional 3rd line minutes because of injuries... he's a 4th line forward on a good team.
Strange, I was under the impression that the Rangers were a pretty good team.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:47 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
It is believed the Rangers offered Prust a deal in the neighborhood of $6 million over three years.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1zRfebfZ8

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:58 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
6 mil over 3 years? And he turned it down?

**** him then. Have fun protecting Scotty and that midget Gionta.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:08 AM
mike14

huge fan of Prust, almost bought his jersey recently (and I could have added it the collection of I bought the jersey so they got traded/left) but $2m a year is too much, to say nothing of what the Habs gave him. Hell, even if Asham is only half as good as Prust, the rangers come out on top cap wise

Good luck to Prust, I look forward to seeing him and Asham throw down when the new season starts

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Legend23

Did anyone look at the Canadians site with the Prust article? They have a video linked to it where Prust gets his a** beat by Neal. Now why couldnt they find a video where he wins the fight. For all the great history that organization is just a bunch of idiots right now.

Legend23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post

This attitude is ridiculous. It's a business, Montreal's offer was 1 year, 4 million better, plus he lives in the same city as his GF.

It's smart on his part, not sure why Rangers fans get their panties wadded over this. He played his ass off here and has nothing to be ashamed of for taking more money. At those prices I am happy he went to Montreal, it's a win win, good for him.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
NYR Viper

Love Prust and I will admire him for a long time for the way he plays the game and the way he sticks up for his teammates but it was time to move on. This was probably his only time to make a decent amount of money and he took the opportunity and ran with it. Good for him and I wish him all the best.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Yes I have to problem with a hard working duster taking his payday for himself and family/future family in t he prime of his career. You never know what might crop up. He'll make 4 million more and play 6% less in income taxes over the course of his contract.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
6 mil over 3 years?
I would not have been pleased to see the Rangers hand out that contract, especially when you see what Asham got.

I don't pay much attention to the Habs, but I just can't follow the strategy. They've got lot of money tied up in some pretty unimpressve players there, a couple of high priced RFA's to sign and what would appear to be a lot of holes to fill. You wouldn't think a guy like Prust would be on their radar, nevermind somone you blow the doors off the market to grab.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
NYR Viper

The Habs are trying to become tougher and bigger. They continually get pushed around. They must finally be fed up with it.....

The Sabres went the other direction and they signed John Scott to handle the Bruins. They now have Kaleta, McCormick and Scott.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:00 PM
nyrage

I liked Prust. I'm glad that he worked hard to become a decent penalty killer. He has a ton of heart and will fight anyone.

As far as protecting teammates. I think it's a bit overrated. Maybe I have a faulty memory, but it seems like a majority of his fights were just fights for the sake of fights, especially off face-offs.

Prust had a lot of respect for his opponents and you have to admire that. I hope he does well in Montreal, but I think we'll be fine with Asham.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:05 PM
True Blue

I think that the lockerroom will miss Prust. I think that the Rangers as a whole will miss Prust. However, I cannot blame management for not resigning him. $2.5 per for 4 years is way too much.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:31 PM
haveandare

Wish he stayed. I understand the logic of leaving, but 2m a year and a chance to actually win the cup, which is the goal of playing in the NHL, is pretty attractive as well. He took a big step away from the possibility of being a champion, but I understand why I guess. He's one of the very few ex-Rangers that I hope continues to prosper and grow as a player.

EDIT: spelling

Last edited by haveandare: 07-02-2012 at 02:49 PM.
haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend23 View Post
Did anyone look at the Canadians site with the Prust article? They have a video linked to it where Prust gets his a** beat by Neal. Now why couldnt they find a video where he wins the fight. For all the great history that organization is just a bunch of idiots right now.
Didn't realize our GM was running the website.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Richard Brads

Quote:

what?

the guy is making 4 million more over the life of the contract, or about 67% more than the six the rangers offered.

good luck to pruster don't blame him one bit

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Brads View Post
what?

the guy is making 4 million more over the life of the contract, or about 67% more than the six the rangers offered.

good luck to pruster don't blame him one bit

Is it more correct to say the Canadians offer was "67% more" or the Rangers offer was "40% less"? lol

Either way Prust did the right thing.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

It's less about the money than most of you seem to believe as the money is actually almost identical if the $6M/3yr report is accurate.

Though it's significantly more complex than this, even using basic tax calculators proves that he'd actually make more annually playing for NY @ $2M than he would in Montreal at $2.5M. Around $500k more in fact. Tax rates are really high here. After taxes he'll make around $5.6M with both contracts.

It's more about stability and obviously wanting to be near his gf who is a local celebrity (a minor one, but still) and recently obtained new work. Although if you consider the cost of living (real estate) he'll be able to afford a much nicer place in Montreal than he would have in NYC.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
It's less about the money than most of you seem to believe as the money is actually almost identical if the $6M/3yr report is accurate.

Though it's significantly more complex than this, even using basic tax calculators proves that he'd actually make more annually playing for NY @ $2M than he would in Montreal at $2.5M. Around $500k more in fact. Tax rates are really high here. After taxes he'll make around $5.6M with both contracts.

It's more about stability and obviously wanting to be near his gf who is a local celebrity (a minor one, but still) and recently obtained new work. Although if you consider the cost of living (real estate) he'll be able to afford a much nicer place in Montreal than he would have in NYC.
He gets an extra year in Montreal.

Old
07-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Richard Brads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post

exactly like miamipuck said, he gets another year at 2.5 (or 2 after taxes or whatever calculations you did), which he might not get after a three year contract expired.

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Brads View Post
exactly like miamipuck said, he gets another year at 2.5 (or 2 after taxes or whatever calculations you did), which he might not get after a three year contract expired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
He gets an extra year in Montreal.
Which is why I said: "It's more about stability and..."

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote