HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

"No market for Roy"

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Theres a market for Roy, just not what Darcy wants at the moment hes waiting for the dust to settle..

Old
07-02-2012, 01:26 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

As mentioned...no market for Roy at the current asking price.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:32 AM
DJOpus

So what exactly do you guys think Roy is worth?

I'd like him on the Canucks as a reclamation project. NO major assets available but for scraps (2nd round and later picks, prospects, Hansen, Higgins).

I see his value as similar to Booth's last year (Booth was less productive but much more of a physical presence) and the comment that Gaustad had better value supports that.

Maybe 2nd + 3rd + Raymond?

Old
07-02-2012, 02:33 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post

I'd like him on the Canucks as a reclamation project. NO major assets available but for scraps (2nd round and later picks, prospects, Hansen, Higgins).

I see his value as similar to Booth's last year (Booth was less productive but much more of a physical presence) and the comment that Gaustad had better value supports that.

Reclamation project? "...for scraps....?" Come ON.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:45 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
If what Dallas got for Ribeiro was true market value and not just the case of him zeroing in on one trading partner from the start, then Roy should be in the same ballpark. Which wasn't all that much really, a 2nd and a decent prospect.

There's absolutely no reason to trade Roy in a "dump" type move. As part of a package? Sure. Otherwise, hold on to him until the deadline or play out his contract.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Imlach a cup

Roy is damaged goods. Injury questions, compete questions and character issues. Do you really think that's our own little secret? Why would you give up legitimate assets for a player when you can pursue him for nothing next season? In fact he will have more value then because the injury question will be either gone or confirmed. The offer presented is about what he's worth. Plus if we send him tithe Canucks you know Gillis will give us another Sulzer steal.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Roy is damaged goods. Injury questions, compete questions and character issues. Do you really think that's our own little secret? Why would you give up legitimate assets for a player when you can pursue him for nothing next season? In fact he will have more value then because the injury question will be either gone or confirmed. The offer presented is about what he's worth. Plus if we send him tithe Canucks you know Gillis will give us another Sulzer steal.
The only secret is how ridiculous we (myself included) are about Roy. He is a player who had a down year, other than that he's the player he's always been. He's a decent two-way guy, good PKer, and 60-70 point potential player in the right circumstance.

As I said, Ribeiro got a 2nd + a decent prospect. It looks like the Canucks fan offered essentially that (he didn't specify the pick), so I have not said anything critical of the offer. As far as Raymond goes, no thanks.

The point is, what good is trading Roy for that return? It makes us a worse team next year. He's worth holding on to at least until we know where Hodgson, Ennis, and Grigorenko are at, trading him at the deadline for at worst the same return, but likely better return.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:32 AM
Imlach a cup

Sorry I am the one guy who likes Paul Hamilton and I believe him when he says the players in the locker play better without Roy around. I believe the stories about Toga parties in the middle of losing streaks. If someone wants to give us a second and a prospect for Roy great! Give Luke Adam 60 games at center on the third line. If he sinks, o well we aren't winning the cup this year, if he swims he's worth double Roy.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:38 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Since when is a center who consistently has been capable of putting up 60-70 points a "reclamation project"? If those are the kind of offers Darcy's fielding, I see why Roy hasn't been moved.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Since when is a center who consistently has been capable of putting up 60-70 points a "reclamation project"? If those are the kind of offers Darcy's fielding, I see why Roy hasn't been moved.
Because the fans are trying to run him out of the city for being a detriment to winning. If he was a legit 65 pnt center we wouldn't be trying to move him. Because he waves more red flags then Dictator Day at Red Square.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Because the fans are trying to run him out of the city for being a detriment to winning. If he was a legit 65 pnt center we wouldn't be trying to move him. Because he waves more red flags then Dictator Day at Red Square.
What's an illegitimate 65 point center? A worded definition, please, not simply a "Derek Roy" reply.

Old
07-02-2012, 04:02 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
What's an illegitimate 65 point center? A worded definition, please, not simply a "Derek Roy" reply.
A 65 point center that makes his wingers worse. One you cant pair with your best forward because they don't play well together. One that's coming off an injury that may or may not have caused his worst career season. One that publically called out his coach during locker clean out (albeit I agreed with that). One with more give sways then take aways. Someone who often flaunts his coaches systemto the detriment to the team. A guy who hands out party invites after a players only meeting to discuss they're loosing streak. That sums it up without saying Derek Roy... Oops, sorry.

Old
07-02-2012, 04:47 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Honestly, my offer is based on what I read in this thread. I don't watch many Buffalo games or know what's going on with the team. Seems like some would take it while other wouldn't...I actually wanted Rebeiro but he's gone now so I've moved on to Roy or Plekanec.

The reason I'd like Roy on the Canucks is to be the replacement of Kesler while he's hurt, then on the 3rd line when Kesler is back.

Old
07-02-2012, 04:53 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Honestly, my offer is based on what I read in this thread. I don't watch many Buffalo games or know what's going on with the team. Seems like some would take it while other wouldn't...I actually wanted Rebeiro but he's gone now so I've moved on to Roy or Plekanec.

The reason I'd like Roy on the Canucks is to be the replacement of Kesler while he's hurt, then on the 3rd line when Kesler is back.
I think he'd be a good fit for the Nucks but barring other moves I don't think it's worth it until deadline time. People here are too eager to have two unproven players our top 6 centers or those guys + an 18 year old Mikhail Grigorenko our top 9.

Old
07-02-2012, 04:57 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I think he'd be a good fit for the Nucks but barring other moves I don't think it's worth it until deadline time. People here are too eager to have two unproven players our top 6 centers or those guys + an 18 year old Mikhail Grigorenko our top 9.
Or to get the young centers live fire experience instead of giving the ice to Roy. If a second and a prospect is the offer I'm on board. This team isn't winning the cup next season anyway.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:24 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Sorry I am the one guy who likes Paul Hamilton and I believe him when he says the players in the locker play better without Roy around. I believe the stories about Toga parties in the middle of losing streaks. If someone wants to give us a second and a prospect for Roy great! Give Luke Adam 60 games at center on the third line. If he sinks, o well we aren't winning the cup this year, if he swims he's worth double Roy.
The whole WGR thing about a guy in locker man saying "you watch, we'll be better now" after Roy injury has no credibility. None. When was it reported? Right after Roy went down in 2010-2011? No, well after they started winning. It's like saying saying see I told you Kings could make a run when they were on their way to routing team in second round. It's a joke.
I am for trading Roy. Ennis can do what he can do. The move should have been been done a while ago but Roy got inured.
You now have to deal with his present value and people may question whether he's able to play after this injury -- that's the overhang. Be objective. Before the injury he was a point a game man or at lesat a 65-point guy and since his stats have nosedived.
Sabres can move him now and take less or start the season, play him to boost stats and if it happens get a ransom for him at deadline. If he goes on a 70-point pace this year, he'll command a ton at deadline.
Darcy is smart. He's waiting out UFA time and trades and seeing if demand goes up. He did this with Gaustad and got a 1st. He was prepared to keep Gaustad if the market for him didn't improve and will do the same with Roy. I think the market will improve. He'll get more than spare parts back or no deal.

Last edited by HogtownSabresfan: 07-02-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old
07-02-2012, 06:47 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I could see the offers for Roy being not worth moving him right now due to his bad year last year coming off of injury.

If he bounces back, the best time to move him will be at the trade deadline.

This team isn't winning the Cup this year. I kind of hope they hold onto Roy and move him and Leopold at the deadline to get an extra 1st and 2nd in the 2013 draft.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I could see the offers for Roy being not worth moving him right now due to his bad year last year coming off of injury.

If he bounces back, the best time to move him will be at the trade deadline.

This team isn't winning the Cup this year. I kind of hope they hold onto Roy and move him and Leopold at the deadline to get an extra 1st and 2nd in the 2013 draft.
Me too. Especially in Leopold's case it's entirely possible that McNabb, Brennan, and even Pysyk would have proved they're capable of taking over the slack and Leopold has a proven track record of being a deadline guy teams would have interest in.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Clock

Quote:
Or to get the young centers live fire experience instead of giving the ice to Roy.
Roy being on the roster doesn't preclude that possibility.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:59 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Hamilton has had a personal vendetta against Roy for whatever reason for a awhile now. He spins things to make Roy sound like a horrible person. I guess he knows the game, but he can be pretty unprofessional and immature at times IMO. Objective analysis is not a term he's familiar with.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:03 AM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Or to get the young centers live fire experience instead of giving the ice to Roy. If a second and a prospect is the offer I'm on board. This team isn't winning the cup next season anyway.
Yes because putting that kind of pressure on young centers to carry the load offensively without veteran help worked so well the last time the Sabres tried.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:08 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

The Sabres in no way benefit from trading Roy for a meh prospect and a non first round pick. The only reason I want him moved is because he's a solid piece to be used to upgrade at forward (Ryan, etc).

If prospect + 2nd is the best Regier can do, we'll keep Roy and enjoy having three top 6 centers (and potentially a 4th in Grigs).

Old
07-02-2012, 09:10 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
Hamilton has had a personal vendetta against Roy for whatever reason for a awhile now. He spins things to make Roy sound like a horrible person. I guess he knows the game, but he can be pretty unprofessional and immature at times IMO. Objective analysis is not a term he's familiar with.
Yeah, as much as I appreciate Hamilton's knowledge of the game, he's clearly got a vendetta against Roy that always clouds his judgement. He does come off as immature and a bit arrogant at times.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:10 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Yeah, as much as I appreciate Hamilton's knowledge of the game, he's clearly got a vendetta against Roy that always clouds his judgement. He does come off as immature and a bit arrogant at times.
Yeah, we'll he looks like a fool now. We didn't get a ton but Ott is two more years at $3 million and a tough MF with some goals plus more depth on D. Yeah, that's nothing.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Javier Bardem is gonna have to put on some weight to play Hamilton. Haircut isn't that far off though
Bardem will have to play Ott.