HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

Old
07-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

vCash: 500
Prust

Last year Prust he spend 136:51 mins on the PK .

Travis Moen spent 113:47 last year on the Pk .

Lars Eller spent 134:01 on the PK .

Plek spent 260:58 on the PK

the arrival of Prust should take some of that PK time away from guys like Plek.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Prust

Now this I agree with.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Pandemic

Quote:
Prust

Wow. Plek definitely needs to have some time taken away from that. Prust should definitely help. It'd be nice for Plekanec to be able to focus a bit more on offense.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:00 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Prust being 28, I have no problems with the 4 years. Like Moen, he can play hockey and kills penalties. It's a great acquisition.

Having said that, a $2.5M cap hit is about M too high in my opinion. Maybe that's what it took to convince him though...

Like others here though, I still feel the need for a heavyweight.
That's not something to do in July 1st, IMO.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Neutrino

Quote:
I get this all the time : " if Plekanec is such a great player then why is he producing such average numbers ?"

Oh maybe because he spent the equivalent of 13 periods playing superman ?

A whole period every six games

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
I get this all the time : " if Plekanec is such a great player then why is he producing such average numbers ?"

Oh maybe because he spent the equivalent of 13 periods playing superman ?
One of the reason he is so underrated. It's hard to stand out in one area when the team literally has you do everything.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Obviously adding skill is the #1 priority, but let's get real here.

there is no upside to overpaying for anyone who underperforms...

the risk with overpaying for skill, is that if they underperform (as with Gomez), then it is incredibly difficult to (re)move them from the roster.

Plekanec was a big part of our PK, but it is certainly fair to suggest that relying on him as a primary PK player impacted his performance in other areas. In key times, no problem, but over the course of an 82 game season, having quality PK players that aren't also supposed to be key top-6 contributors is a good thing... Nothing wrong with adding a bottom-6 player who is a quality PKer, let alone having several of them (Moen, Prust, Armstrong...)

McClement would have been a decent addition, I agree, but Prust brings more to the table than McClement does, that's part of why he was holding out for the kind of deal we gave him (Rangers had a 3 year-6M$ deal on the table that he turned down apparently... giving him 500k more/year and 1 extra year isn't, imo, a gross overpayment by any means).

Habs, wether one chooses to acknowledge it or not, have had serious issues with getting pushed around and with being "easy" to play against. Yes, those aspects tend to get exaggerated at times, but that's not to say that they aren't issues.

It's a contact sport, intimidation is a very real element, and having enough players willing/capable of playing a physical game & stand up for them as needed is a very tangible benefit... one the habs sorely lacked under Gainey/Gauthier.

Prust/Armstrong/Moen/White... all guys that are tough and can play quality hockey (even if not top-6 "skill" level). in today's NHL that's a very nice asset to have (far better than Gainey's attempt to address the issue by signing the lone Laraque, or Gauthier's attempt in signing the lone Staubitz).
The thing with Plekanec on the PK is that he's actually elite there. I'd put good money on him being top 5 in the NHL for centermen. This is something that stands out in terms of goals against on the PK in a big way. And the penalty kill is very high leverage minutes. They mean more than even strength ones. Its one thing to not use a star on the PK because they are barely better than your plugs at it. Its another when playing him there gives you a significant advantage.

If anything, they should be looking at getting better 5 on 5 so he doesn't play so many minutes there.

But Prust isn't a center. He has no impact on whether Plekanec plays PK minutes or not. He's in contention with Moen, Gionta, Bourque and White there. And there isn't much reason to need to go away from Moen and Gionta as the top two wings. This is Moen's bread and butter and Gionta is both an excellent PK winger and also doesn't get 1st unit power play time so its reasonable in terms of minutes to use him 2nd unit on both special teams. If they actually got someone like McClement or Halpern (still UFA), the might be able to lighten Plekanec's load a bit. But Prust doesn't do that.

They might have been "easy to play against" in the recent era, but there were long periods were they weren't easy to win against. That should be the goal IMO. They've added in players that can help physically but I'm skeptical of how much they've added in ability to win hockey games. The second priority is far more important. Soft Montreal has largely matched up well against the supposed pinnacle of modern toughness in Boston. There's an object lesson in the real impact of this stuff on the scoreboard there.

Also, grit, pushback and so on are only really effective when its near the top of the lineup where significant minutes actually happen, If you want a counter to Lucic, Hartnell etc. it has to be there rather than the bottom.

Now I will give you that I'd far rather overpay for a Prust who plays minutes than even consider playing a Laraque, Staublitz, Scott or Parros who are useless in hockey terms.

The biggest problem Montreal faces right now is they appear unable to win more than one line matchup with the personel they have right now. Plekanec is unlikely to beat the tough matchups with just Gionta as support and Eller isn't going to score enough with the guys we have and have added to be a good bet to win his. Its very hard to be a good team winning only one top 3 line matchup. Montreal needs to regenerate the depth in two-way talent that let them have 3 good lines to start 2011-12 if they want to be good on even strength again. As of right now they've done little to suggest they'll be able to replace Cammalleri and Kostitsyn, let alone improve on them. Get Plekanec a Cammalleri and Eller a Kostitsyn then they'll have a fighting chance each night of winning the day.

Compared to that issue, this 4th line stuff is a side show. At the end of the day it won't have much bearing on whether the Habs make the playoffs or not.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 07-02-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Even though I'm a Leaf fan i really hope the long-term doesn't doesn't take the bite out of Prust's game as we sometimes see with these types (Armstrong in Toronto).

If he ends up being the same player he was in NY I don't see why people would complain about this contract. The Leafs and Habs both have way more money tied up in way bigger plugs (Gomez, Connolly etc.) for people to worry about Prust being overpaid by ~1M.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:27 AM
centrehice

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Just because it is free agent time does not mean you have to overpay. At then their is the term...fine $2.5 for maybe 2 years, but 4? That is way to much.
Yes, you usually do have to overpay. It's a bidding war.

Terms is part of the bidding war, the Rangers obviously wanted to keep him, and I read a tweet earlier saying 10 teams were in on Prust

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
The thing with Plekanec on the PK is that he's actually elite there. I'd put good money on him being top 5 in the NHL for centermen. This is something that stands out in terms of goals against on the PK in a big way. And the penalty kill is very high leverage minutes. They mean more than even strength ones. Its one thing to not use a star on the PK because they are barely better than your plugs at it. Its another when playing him there gives you a significant advantage.

If anything, they should be looking at getting better 5 on 5 so he doesn't play so many minutes there.

But Prust isn't a center. He has no impact on whether Plekanec plays PK minutes or not. He's in contention with Moen, Gionta, Bourque and White there. And there isn't much reason to need to go away from Moen and Gionta as the top two wings. This is Moen's bread and butter and Gionta is both an excellent PK winger and also doesn't get 1st unit power play time so its reasonable in terms of minutes to use him 2nd unit on both special teams. If they actually got someone like McClement or Halpern (still UFA), the might be able to lighten Plekanec's load a bit. But Prust doesn't do that.

They might have been "easy to play against" in the recent era, but there were long periods were they weren't easy to win against. That should be the goal IMO. They've added in players that can help physically but I'm skeptical of how much they've added in ability to win hockey games. The second priority is far more important. Soft Montreal has largely matched up well against the supposed pinnacle of modern toughness in Boston. There's an object lesson in the real impact of this stuff on the scoreboard there.

Also, grit, pushback and so on are only really effective when its near the top of the lineup where significant minutes actually happen, If you want a counter to Lucic, Hartnell etc. it has to be there rather than the bottom.

Now I will give you that I'd far rather overpay for a Prust who plays minutes than even consider playing a Laraque, Staublitz, Scott or Parros who are useless in hockey terms.

The biggest problem Montreal faces right now is they appear unable to win more than one line matchup with the personel they have right now. Plekanec is unlikely to beat the tough matchups with just Gionta as support and Eller isn't going to score enough with the guys we have and have added to be a good bet to win his. Its very hard to be a good team winning only one top 3 line matchup. Montreal needs to regenerate the depth in two-way talent that let them have 3 good lines to start 2011-12 if they want to be good on even strength again. As of right now they've done little to suggest they'll be able to replace Cammalleri and Kostitsyn, let alone improve on them.

This 4th line stuff is a side show. At the end of the day it won't have much bearing on whether the Habs make the playoffs or not.
Agree with this except if we aren't getting any scoring help we might as well lessen Plekanec's PK time even if it hurts the PK, last year showed that having an elite PK is pretty meaningless if every other element is awful. The way the team is constructed now we need whatever scoring we can get from Plek.

Unfortunately I'm expecting the team to sign a hockey-useless "heavyweight" before someone like Semin, Jagr or even Kostitsyn, especially with Therrien seemingly having major input.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:35 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Prust is one of the best 4th liners in the league. You want players like that.

But it doesn't do anything to fix the Habs terrible offense.
In a way, we gain Plex' offense because he gets to play a more go-to role with these signings.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:38 AM
clownquestionbro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
In a way, we gain Plex' offense because he gets to play a more go-to role with these signings.
very true, he'll be more fresh to provide offense as opposed to running around his zone trying to kill a penalty. this is how successful gm's think the game.

clownquestionbro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Agree with this except if we aren't getting any scoring help we might as well lessen Plekanec's PK time even if it hurts the PK, last year showed that having an elite PK is pretty meaningless if every other element is awful. The way the team is constructed now we need whatever scoring we can get from Plek.

Unfortunately I'm expecting the team to sign a hockey-useless "heavyweight" before someone like Semin, Jagr or even Kostitsyn, especially with Therrien seemingly having major input.
Well, like I said, Prust isn't a center. His PK time might help Gionta but it has no bearing on Plekanec. If you wanted to help Plekanec lose some PK minutes you sign a McClement or a Halpern or even a Moore.

And that Bergevin seems to see his job as mostly getting Therrien the players he wants isn't exactly encouraging either. Fine for getting a value deal on Armstrong but the other moves are more questionable in that light. GM's job is the best possible lineup, no staffing the squad with coach's favourites.

All of this of course turns on whether Bergevin can do something significant for the more important parts of the lineup. He's basically spent his initial cap room today so other adds will have to involve getting rid of salary in some fashion.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 07-02-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Habitants

plek is essential on pk because of his ability to win faceoffs. none of the moves made today will help in that range. although Nokelainen can play pk and win faceoffs.

a little expensive for prust but given the amount of fights he has put up, i do not mind overpaying to get a quality guy. seems very happy to be in MTL, and i look forward to the grit he will add. Added factor pk abilities.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:45 AM
Mr. Hab

Prust's info:

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?3242

Very very happy with the signing

Moen, White, Prust, Bouillon, Armstrong...love the grit, toughness

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:53 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I wonder if the Habs might try Leblanc on Plekanecs and Gionta's wing?

Allowing Bourque to play on a 3rd line with Moen

And a pretty fun sounding 4th line of Prust-White-Armstrong

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:57 AM
elsubz

Love the signing but would have loved to have kept staubitz to back him up a little bit. Got the feeling that he's gonna run out of juice pretty fast during the season.

elsubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:03 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
Love the signing but would have loved to have kept staubitz to back him up a little bit. Got the feeling that he's gonna run out of juice pretty fast during the season.
Staubitz is not that good.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:08 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Or at all.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:08 AM
elsubz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I know that. I meant for the fighting part.

elsubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:10 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Or at all.
White, Moen, Prust and Bourque is more than good enough. You have Subban and Emelin on the back line too.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:11 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I know that. I meant for the fighting part.
Fighting?

Let other teams be stupid and take advantage of the powerplays.

Old
07-02-2012, 04:09 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
“I talked to Torts [yesterday],” Prust said, referring to coach John Tortorella, who had said of Prust on breakup day, “I love the guy.”

07-02-2012, 04:18 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
plek is essential on pk because of his ability to win faceoffs. none of the moves made today will help in that range. although Nokelainen can play pk and win faceoffs.

a little expensive for prust but given the amount of fights he has put up, i do not mind overpaying to get a quality guy. seems very happy to be in MTL, and i look forward to the grit he will add. Added factor pk abilities.
Plekanec is very average in the faceoff circle. I wouldn't list this as a strength for him.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
you think this is Prust first rodeo?

news flash

in the last 3 years he fought

29 times
21 times
21 times

the guy in his career at 28 has 677 reg season games played has 248 scraps Jr to NHL

I think he rode many bulls .

Let's keep this in mind,Prust in 2010-11 had 21 fights and 29 pts .
13 goals 16 ast......

He is just 28 you never know .

Last edited by Habaneros: 07-02-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote