HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

Old
07-02-2012, 03:37 AM
Corncob

vCash: 500
If some people here had their way we would have a consistently mediocre team (but nobody would be 'overpaid') and about 20 million dollars in cap space.

How exactly would that help?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:24 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I like the signing, a little longer then I would have wanted and 2.5M is a little high but to me it shows how badly management wanted to add him and that shows to me that they understand that adding more grit/sandpaper/toughness was that needed to be done this off season. Signing guys like Prust/Moen/Armstrong/Bouillon are solid character additions that give workman like efforts consistently (I haven't paid attention to Armstrong when he was with the leafs but couldn't stand him on the pens, but i'm thinking opposing fans will hate him next season or so i'm hoping) plus I think they are good to have around for the incoming youth.

To me, the Habs need to rebuild the blueline and that I assume is going to take time, and not likely done via UFA's. I'd rather see them get hard working players that you can count on to play the game hard and not be fun to play against. Personally I think the Habs are going to struggle again, so not being so soft and easy to play against is the direction they should go in imo. Not only where the Habs one of the worst teams in the NHL, they had one of the softest D's in the league and were just too easy to push around.

I don't think their problems will be a quick fix, I hope they learned the lesson that building the team via UFA's is NOT the way to go. Having core players as hired guns often doesn't work out. The Habs have an exciting future with the young core of Price/Pac/Subban plus others like Eller/DD/White to go with the upcoming youth of Gally/Beaulieu/Tinordi/Leblanc/Gallagher/Kristo/Collberg/Bennett/Ellis etc.... They are still missing a lot of high end talent in the organization, but with the recent addition of Gally and others the club has improved in that aspect as well. Plus they could be setting themselves up very nicely to add some big pieces next June as they already are looking at 4 top 60 picks which could end up being a game changer when you add the mix of Timmins + and possibly improved scouting group (more hands on deck and a full year of Timmins doing nothing but scouting) + what many seem to think could end up being a whale of a draft class = a possible huge step forward for the rebuilding of the Montreal Canadiens.

Just for the record, I will never support a tank job, I just can't support losing as it makes me sick to see this team lose. But I also know that I don't have much of a choice in the matter. I just think that the Habs don't have a ton of skill or high end players and that the team is going to be in tough to make the playoffs unless some big changes are in the mix from the new magement.

Personally I'd rather see them do things the right way, build through the draft, focus on improving the development of our prospects, not load up key positions with hired guns (UFA's) and improve the infrastructure in management so we avoid the previous GM's mistakes. Stop getting bent over in trades, stop drafting/developing so much talent only to see them shine on other clubs. Granted I know that the new management isn't going to win every deal and that some of our draft picks just won't cut it with us but a change of scene can help some get back on track, so you are going to have some draft picks excel elsewhere. But hopefully we see some improvement in the areas that have not been going so well for the Habs, well since the mid '90's, as at the end of the day all Hab fans want to see us return to our Cup winning ways and while that road may still be in the future, hopefully we are headed in the right direction.

The Habs will not be a team that gets pushed around next season as easily as they did last year. I got to think that changes are still in the works to address the defense, hopefully more then just Bouillon, but losing 2 out of Kabs/Weber/Diaz I'd like to see at some point as having half of your top 6 can not be made up of those 3 (which I don't think it will). They hopefully will be a team that brings it on a much more consistent basis, a team that works harder (will be interesting to see how they handle Bourque/Gomez going forward) as the rest of the team at least so far looks to be made up of players that you can count on them working hard minus the Bourque/Gomez/Kabs group. With guys like Prust/White/Moen/Armstrong/Emelin/Gorges/Bouillon the Habs will have several players that bring a solid physical game as well as being lunch pale types that just put on the hard hat and go to work.

As they look to improve the defense, they can

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Frank Doby

Intimidation will not be part of the game plan against us next year. That is a huge improvement. Therrien has some munitions against the Bruins, the Flyers.

Frank Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

That's great, Pleky is happy..he no longer has to fight PK during practice.

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:58 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doby View Post
Intimidation will not be part of the game plan against us next year. That is a huge improvement. Therrien has some munitions against the Bruins, the Flyers.
For sure, I was just looking at the pim totals for Prust, yikes. Here's his career numbers,

AHL- 221 games, 753 pims
OHL- 177 games, 537 pims
NHL- 279 games, 612 pims

Since his junior days with the Knights, the guys racked up over 1900 pims

When you add Moen/White/Armstrong, clearly the message is that this team will be one that works harder and is more willing to get their nose dirty, not be so easy to play against.

What I like is that these additions are not goons, these are hard working lunch pale types that help teams win tough games and they don't shy away from contact. We should see a harder working, more physical brad of hockey at least.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:07 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
Prust is not a George Parros clone.........He can put the puck in the net as well.
2 years ago he had 29 points and 5shg a 2sha.....
I love those numbers for a guy, those that say we dont need.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:47 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Prust is not a George Parros clone.........He can put the puck in the net as well.
2 years ago he had 29 points and 5shg a 2sha.....
I love those numbers for a guy, those that say we dont need.
We get a lot of Rangers game here and I've watched him quite a bit. Always walked away thinking "damn, wish he was on the Habs". Now he is. I think a lot of people here think he's just a fighter. No. He's kind of a Moen clone. A guy that can play hockey. Play on the PK, play on the 3rd line if need be, but at the same time can get his nose dirty and drop the gloves.

I think fans will end up loving the guy. White, Prust, Moen, Armstrong, Bouillon, Armstrong and to a lesser extent, Cole, PK and Gorges...that's a lot of physical guys there who can take care of themselves.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
We get a lot of Rangers game here and I've watched him quite a bit. Always walked away thinking "damn, wish he was on the Habs". Now he is. I think a lot of people here think he's just a fighter. No. He's kind of a Moen clone. A guy that can play hockey. Play on the PK, play on the 3rd line if need be, but at the same time can get his nose dirty and drop the gloves.

I think fans will end up loving the guy. White, Prust, Moen, Armstrong, Bouillon, Armstrong and to a lesser extent, Cole, PK and Gorges...that's a lot of physical guys there who can take care of themselves.
Yeah, Prust is a lot like Moen, and that's a good thing. Maybe a little tougher, but the kind of players who work hard playing hockey, not just there to get into fights.

I just hope they can play on bottom 6 defensive roles as they should be. And if we need another bottom 6 players, we are also still missing a good 4C to really help lower Pleks defensive minutes, more than a goon.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
windycity

Very happy with the signing, we overpaid a bit but no worries he addresses a serious need and should help make us a better team.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Roulin

Prust is a fine depth player. He's not the kind of player you outbid the rest of the league for on the first day of free agency. He's the type you find for a bargain at the end of free agency, claim off waivers, or make a minor trade for. It looks to me like Prust has turned his exposure in 24/7 and the Rangers' long playoff run into an overpayment, and the Habs are the suckers.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:03 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What I like is that these additions are not goons, these are hard working lunch pale types that help teams win tough games and they don't shy away from contact. We should see a harder working, more physical brad of hockey at least.
Totally agree, I love the fact that they can all play hockey. I liked Staubitz for his heart and he played smart within his capabilities but he really couldn't play hockey. Prust and Armstrong can.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:05 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Prust is a fine depth player. He's not the kind of player you outbid the rest of the league for on the first day of free agency. He's the type you find for a bargain at the end of free agency, claim off waivers, or make a minor trade for. It looks to me like Prust has turned his exposure in 24/7 and the Rangers' long playoff run into an overpayment, and the Habs are the suckers.
Sorry but it looks to me like you don't know what you are talking about.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

We have Brandon Prust, this is a good thing.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
If you were familiar with the trade/signing history of someone fairly comparable like, say, Sean Avery (or Prust's own trade history, for that matter), then you'd understand what he's saying, because he's kinda right. Kinda.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 07-02-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
We may be the suckers who overpaid for him, but if you wanted to wait for the end of free agency or grab a guy of waivers, then you have to take a considerably lesser player. Even Staubitz got a 2 year deal on day 1 of the draft, you might note.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Prust has been traded three times. Twice as a bit part in a bigger deal. Once straight up for Jim Vandermeer. To me, that's the definition of a minor trade.

The Habs claimed Begin off waivers. We signed Kostopoulos for 900k per year, 2 years. Moore (a more useful player than Prust) has been making 1.1mil for the last 3 years, 900k before that. Torres is still on a deal that pays him 1.75mil per year, that he signed with Phoenix after nobody else wanted him.

I can go on and on, if you'd like. There is a surplus of depth forwards in the league that creates bargains.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

I just don't understand it. For years, people were saying we were too small, not physical and soft. Now, we sign gritty physical players and people are saying we overpaid for players and we don't really need them.

Can't people just be happy that we now have a bottom 6 capable of playing against any team in the league? A bottom 6 that will leave everything on the ice...a bottom 6 that will be more effective than anything we've had in the past 5 years!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:19 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
He fills a need...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Even though I'm a Leaf fan i really hope the long-term doesn't doesn't take the bite out of Prust's game as we sometimes see with these types (Armstrong in Toronto).

If he ends up being the same player he was in NY I don't see why people would complain about this contract. The Leafs and Habs both have way more money tied up in way bigger plugs (Gomez, Connolly etc.) for people to worry about Prust being overpaid by ~1M.
Exactly. This guy gets it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
“I talked to Torts [yesterday],” Prust said, referring to coach John Tortorella, who had said of Prust on breakup day, “I love the guy.”
Torts doesn't even love his own son. To love Prust is high, HIGH praise.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Prust has been traded three times. Twice as a bit part in a bigger deal. Once straight up for Jim Vandermeer. To me, that's the definition of a minor trade.

The Habs claimed Begin off waivers. We signed Kostopoulos for 900k per year, 2 years. Moore (a more useful player than Prust) has been making 1.1mil for the last 3 years, 900k before that. Torres is still on a deal that pays him 1.75mil per year, that he signed with Phoenix after nobody else wanted him.

I can go on and on, if you'd like. There is a surplus of depth forwards in the league that creates bargains.
Or to put it another way, find a single cup winning team post lockout that was willing to park 2.5 million on a 4th line winger.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I just don't understand it. For years, people were saying we were too small, not physical and soft. Now, we sign gritty physical players and people are saying we overpaid for players and we don't really need them.

Can't people just be happy that we now have a bottom 6 capable of playing against any team in the league? A bottom 6 that will leave everything on the ice...a bottom 6 that will be more effective than anything we've had in the past 5 years!
2010-11 had an actually effective bottom six that helped the team win games. It did not resemble this one.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Or to put it another way, find a single cup winning team post lockout that was willing to park 2.5 million on a 4th line winger.
I can tell you right now, that's gonna be tough to find.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habsfanatics

Quote:
Find a single cup winning team post lockout that had a 70+ million cap

I'll be waiting.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Et le But

Quote:
Don't worry about that, one injury and he will be playing next to Plekanec anyway.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
danyhabsfan

Im happy with the Mariepier acquisition.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote