Notices

Ducks sign Sheldon Souray. 3 years 3.67 mil

Old
07-02-2012, 02:27 AM
Fighter
Fighting my way

vCash: 500
Just horrible.

Get BM out of Anaheim for Christ' sake!!!!!!!!

Fighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Giguere27

I Souray is able to stay healthy,he is a solid addition to our blueline.Only thing,I'm not happy with is the 3rd year,but we probably had to offer it to get Souray.

Agree with Occupy Sheen: if Murray doesn't sign anybody,everybody is crying and if he signs somebody,people are also criticizing.Souray is a risky signing,but we have to take these risks to get good players as we are not a big-market-team.

Giguere27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:47 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
Something else to note. With these signings we are still 7.1 million under the cap floor. Now if Selanne comes back that is probably 3 million or so but needless to say we needed to spend some money this offseason simply to get to the cap floor.

I, like others, don't mind Souray as a player and the money doesn't really matter especially with Lydman a UFA after the season. The length of the deal gets me. But I also imagine many teams offered two year deals. The Ducks adding the 3rd is the only reason he went with us.

It isn't a great deal but I don't think it's too bad either. As with everything time will tell.
Current cap - 47,076,000, Cap Floor 54.2M

8 forwards, 7 defensemen, 2 goalies

Selanne - 4M

Add a few kids

Bonino - 1-1.25M?
Palmieri - 1,025,000
Holland - 1,295,000
McMillan - 875,000

Cap floor achieved.

They don't HAVE to overspend on free agents. They can just carry a 13th forward. Hopefully they trade for someone decent rather than overspend for a scrub. And yes, I'm aware that the 4th line that would create would be the weakest, softest blah blah blah, I'm just crunching numbers.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:52 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
I don't like the length of this contract and also I don't like that he gets more money than our number one guys when he's bottom pairing player. I think he's an ok player and I don't mind if he can't play every game because there are a lot of guys who can replace him for awhile (Guenin, Clark, Vatanen). Murray should have gotten him a cheaper contract even though they still have to spend money to reach the cap floor. I'm not a fan of this signing, Sutton 2.0.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
I don't like the length of this contract and also I don't like that he gets more money than our number one guys when he's bottom pairing player. I think he's an ok player and I don't mind if he can't play every game because there are a lot of guys who can replace him for awhile (Guenin, Clark, Vatanen). Murray should have gotten him a cheaper contract even though they still have to spend money to reach the cap floor. I'm not a fan of this signing, Sutton 2.0.
Well he certainly is better than Sutton. How long before he detoriates to Sutton level is another question. I actually wouldn't have minded Souray if this was a 2y deal. That 3rd year is just... Well let's just say there will be quite a few Ducks fans happy when this deal runs out in 2015. I think he will be bought before then but we'll see.

I'm positive he'll help us next season though.

Doothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:51 AM
rollingdux

Quote:
From TSN
Souray said he received other three-year offers, but chose the Ducks for their roster and their proximity to his family.
Considering the amount of time in between the first Souray to ANA rumor to the actual signing I'm guessing BM was getting the OK by Ducks players and trying to negotiate the contract. I think the Ducks added either more $ or added another yr (probably originally wanted 2 yr deal) to push things in our favor.

Now if only we can relocate Weber's fam before next summer.....

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:57 AM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

Happy to get Souray, not thrilled about term, but if he retires the money is off the books anyway and the cap hit doesn't matter to us then.

And don't give me the could of signed Garrison crap, he took a massive discount to sign with the Canucks.

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:16 AM
master4071

Why not 2 years? I don't like it, because looks like we will not see Sami in the NHL, unless someone will be injured...

master4071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by master4071 View Post
Why not 2 years? I don't like it, because looks like we will not see Sami in the NHL, unless someone will be injured...
No need to rush him right away.

07-02-2012, 04:37 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by master4071 View Post
Like it was posted, he had three year offers elsewhere. He wanted to be here, which is awesome in itself, but probably wouldn't pass up a year of security just for that.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:09 AM
Elvs

The worst part: imagine if there's a lockout

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:05 AM
Hampe
The Hampster

At least he seems excited to play for us. That's always a plus.

I actually really like Souray. The three years initially scared me, but it's really not as bad as I thought. Still bad, but not horrible. Hopefully he and Allen do well for us this year.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Fighter
Fighting my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giguere27 View Post
Agree with Occupy Sheen: if Murray doesn't sign anybody,everybody is crying and if he signs somebody,people are also criticizing.
Maybe because 90% of his moves have been horrid so far? I don't buy the "we don't attract many stars because we're not a big market": BS! Give 'em enough money and they would be willing to play even in a ****hole.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
Maybe because 90% of his moves have been horrid so far?
Nine "horrid" moves for every good one? Really?

Quote:
I don't buy the "we don't attract many stars because we're not a big market": BS! Give 'em enough money and they would be willing to play even in a ****hole.
A) That really doesn't prove to be true in reality. Look at the remaining teams that receive interest from Suter and Parise. Already strong contenders, traditional hockey markets, good places, hometown-teams. (Usually multiple of those factors.) There have been a ton of teams putting in huge offers that were never considered, and teams were told the players "were looking for a different direction". There's never just one team offering "enough money", and beyond that it always comes down to other factors, of which we don't have too many going for us right now. It's frustrating, but it's just a lot closer to reality than believing you just need deep pockets and a GM to throw money around and rake in the results. It's just not the way things work.

B) Well, if money is the issue, direct your anger at our owners, which are handing Murray the budget he has to deal with. And they put in more money than our revenue would suggest. So we're paying Allen and Souray a combined $7M - that's just a tad more than half of what the stars Suter/Parise will make next year. These dreams are nice to toy around with for a while, but in reality, they are put to a brutal stop rather quickly, almost all the time.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Fighter
Fighting my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Nine "horrid" moves for every good one? Really?
Tell me a single move he did that actually improved the team.

Quote:
B) Well, if money is the issue, direct your anger at our owners, which are handing Murray the budget he has to deal with. And they put in more money than our revenue would suggest. So we're paying Allen and Souray a combined $7M - that's just a tad more than half of what the stars Suter/Parise will make next year. These dreams are nice to toy around with for a while, but in reality, they are put to a brutal stop rather quickly, almost all the time.
Maybe money is not exactly an issue if we gave 3,6 millions to Souray for 3 damn years...

Vipers, some of your points MAY BE valid but I'm pretty fed up to watch my team getting dismantled piece by piece gettin in return a) Nothing b) Scrubs c) Over the hill veteran who can no longer contribute.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:01 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
I don't mind the player or the cap hit, but we're all going to be upset having him in our line-up as a 38 year old down the road.

There is always the option of him retiring to shorten the deal though.

ShadowDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Tell me a single move he did that actually improved the team.
Yeah, that's not hard. If you really need an answer to that - which I really don't think you do - I think I'd offer that, but I'd put that in the "Fire Murray" thread, although I hate resurrecting that one myself, for little reason.

Quote:
Maybe money is not exactly an issue if we gave 3,6 millions to Souray for 3 damn years...
Well, we don't pay him up front. So it's still "just" $4M this year, and $3.5M the next two. I agree that that's too much for him, but saying money isn't an issue because we can afford that seems a little off. If there's other guys that we could get for that money and that would provide similar or more help, sure, I'll be with you, but I have a hard time seeing that.

Quote:
Vipers, some of your points MAY BE valid but I'm pretty fed up to watch my team getting dismantled piece by piece gettin in return a) Nothing b) Scrubs c) Over the hill veteran who can no longer contribute.
Well, that's what I don't get. How has yesterday done anyhting to sing the tune of a team being "dismantled"? We lost an enforcer that was loved, but didn't positively impact the game, at all, and a #6 defenseman that went on the open market. We signed a couple of defenseman that fit a need that basically everyone agreed upon before. Yes, the Souray one feels to about everyone as overpayment. But saying that he "can't contribute" (anything / in any way) to this team before he even laces them up for a practise seems just wrong and unfair. We're a better team than we were yesteray. If we want to put Visnovsky into that equasion, that makes it tougher, but there's a few things to consider, and I'll just point to what's been said in the trade board thread on this signing.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Souray will play #4/5/6 defenseman. He wont log 20+ minutes per game (like he did in Dallas on most nights), I don't think so. He'll get easier match-ups and concentrate on PP. That's it.

Term is too long and he's overpaid, but reportedly he had other 3 year offers on the table... So it was either him or try to look elsewhere for a cannon with a size and nasty game. Not much options out there unfortunately.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:38 AM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

Unless Lubo has a massive improvement it's not that bad for us, we dump Lubo for a 2nd round pick. Acquire a guy who can contribute as much as Lubo on ES/PP but also can log some time on the PK.

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
Souray will play #4/5/6 defenseman. He wont log 20+ minutes per game (like he did in Dallas on most nights), I don't think so. He'll get easier match-ups and concentrate on PP. That's it.

Term is too long and he's overpaid, but reportedly he had other 3 year offers on the table... So it was either him or try to look elsewhere for a cannon with a size and nasty game. Not much options out there unfortunately.
I think that's a pretty fair and sober way of looking at this. I didn't know he played such big minutes with the Stars, either.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Theridion

The signing isn't fatal. Id rather see that money added to a little more to grab a better asset....

But he's a descent player who could play well and provide filler for some youngsters. And he cost us nothing. Vis was bad last year, and we got a 2nd for him.

If sheldon has an ok year, let's say year one, that will retain trading value at the deadline, even if he struggles the second year.

Deadline defensemen trades can always happen, and sheldon can be a bargain trade bait for a pick if we need to clear room for youngster.

We overpaid a mil. But we have few guys we overpay. And sheldon can potentially perform to warrant that contract.

Lastly, we need a #2 powerplay unit. Maybe we build off of sheldon. We might not have the forward talent. Our #2 pp unit has sucked. Maybe this gives us a new focus on the 2nd pp to build from.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
OCSportsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post

I completely agree with you, we were not going to get Suter or Garrison, so who is left. I did not like the term either, but he fits exactly what we needed. A third pairing, Physical defenseman,, that can manage the PP.

Having him does not prevent Lindholm or Vatanen from playing next year. I think he was trying to set up the team to make a run for Teemu this year. Now we have the cap space to trade for a forward if need be at the deadline, and dont need to worry about the defense.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:08 AM
LizardKing1

NHL is changing and all the old players retiring. In a way i think its cool we have Souray. Hes atleast a player with attitude and persona. And he wasnt total garbage last season. The contract is ofcourse stupid but Souray can still have something to give (example a fist to the face of Justin Schultz)

LizardKing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Current cap - 47,076,000, Cap Floor 54.2M

8 forwards, 7 defensemen, 2 goalies

Selanne - 4M

Add a few kids

Bonino - 1-1.25M?
Palmieri - 1,025,000
Holland - 1,295,000
McMillan - 875,000

Cap floor achieved.

They don't HAVE to overspend on free agents. They can just carry a 13th forward. Hopefully they trade for someone decent rather than overspend for a scrub. And yes, I'm aware that the 4th line that would create would be the weakest, softest blah blah blah, I'm just crunching numbers.
Well my point was more that the Ducks had to spend money somewhere. If it wasn't on Souray they would have probably overpaid for someone else.

And to your point. IMO if all 4 of those players make the team, I expect the Ducks to miss the playoffs yet again. I see what you are saying, but my point was mainly that we have money to spend and this probably won't be the first player we overpay to come to Anaheim.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
If he stays out of the penalty box, there's a chance this might actually be a decent signing for you guys.

Was penalized far too often in Dallas, and teams picked up on his shot pretty early in the season, which limited his special teams effectiveness.

Who's your special teams coach? If he can figure out how to keep Souray fresh out there, maybe he can earn that contract you guys gave him.

Doesn't look great right now, but.....it could work.