HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2012 - ALL NON-RANGER UFA TALK AND SIGNINGS HERE! (PART III)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Jim Morrison

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I still think Sather is going to make us very happy very soon.
Yeah, we could use some toughness on this team. Let's hope for a 5th goon today.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:01 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I still think Sather is going to make us very happy very soon.
Booby Ryan?!?!?!?!?111111 lol

07-02-2012, 08:02 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
The club, which failed in its attempt to sign free agent defenseman Justin Schultz out of Wisconsin, has a hole on the right side of the second pair Sather will attempt to address via a trade.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1zTBuFzng
According to Brooks the Rangers are looking to a add a top-4 RD through trade? I would have to imagine that would not be cheap......

Old
07-02-2012, 08:02 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Every team in the NHL is "over paying", do you really think they want to?, of course not. Times are changing, and as with the price of gas, salaries are on the rise. So should the Rangers organization boycott the trend in defiance? Would we all be a happier group signing guys on the cheap to save a buck even though it really isn't helping the team?
You can only overpay for so many guys. Obviously you'd prefer to get positive value out of every player on your roster, but that's not really feasible. That said, if you are going to overpay, you need to do it on the right players and try and limit the waste. The Rangers have been as guilty as anyone in recent history...and those poor decisions definitely set the team back. Fortunately the organization has showed somewhat better restraint in recent years and hopefully that trend will continue.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:03 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Yeah, we could use some toughness on this team. Let's hope for a 5th goon today.
I would have rather signed Carkner honestly. I know that is an unpopular opinion but I like him and have liked him for a while. Oh well, we will be seeing him many times over the next 3 years.

Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
You're absolutely right. Let's go give PAP 4 mill a year so in a year everyone will be *****ing when he's benched and making 4 mill.

I don't understand some of you people. THE MARKET SUCKS. What do you want Sather to do, sign scrubs to insane contracts.

He's bring patient and shrewd. Be thankful and remember where throwing money at our problems got us.

Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Every team in the NHL is "over paying", do you really think they want to?, of course not. Times are changing, and as with the price of gas, salaries are on the rise. So should the Rangers organization boycott the trend in defiance? Would we all be a happier group signing guys on the cheap to save a buck even though it really isn't helping the team?
You have to weigh your options. Because there is a scarcity of good players available and an abundance of free cap space around the league to use on them, GMS are bidding numbers that seem extremely high to try to take the next step with their team.

The only reasons for the Rangers to abstain are if...

A. They want to save for something big next summer, in which case go with 1 year stopgap deals.

B. They are happy with what they have and don't want to add for financial reasons

C. They are trying to make a big trade and have to lay off big salary deals until then (I think this is the case)

Old
07-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

God the market is ugly and thin. Hoping the Rangers will add Mueller today, or maybe he gets an invite to camp or something to that extent. If Stralman isn't returning, we need a depth d-man, but there's nothing out there on the UFA market. Kubina on a 1 year deal maybe, but he looked like a pylon in the playoffs.

I'd look hard at plucking Cody Franson out of Toronto with a pick.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
You're absolutely right. Let's go give PAP 4 mill a year so in a year everyone will be *****ing when he's benched and making 4 mill.

I don't understand some of you people. THE MARKET SUCKS. What do you want Sather to do, sign scrubs to insane contracts.

He's bring patient and shrewd. Be thankful and remember where throwing money at our problems got us.
Indeed, where is Parros when you need him

Old
07-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
According to Brooks the Rangers are looking to a add a top-4 RD through trade? I would have to imagine that would not be cheap......
Its just a bad idea. We've so many kids that why we couldn't just sign Eminger on the cheap and move forward... I don't want to give good assets for a guy that gets forced out in 2 years.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:07 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Indeed, where is Parros when you need him
Who do you want the rangers to sign since you just constantly ***** about minor moves? Wow we signed 1 4th line player, the world is coming to an end.

Old
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agreed. But we let Scott walk.

Quote:
Booby Ryan?!?!?!?!?111111 lol
Didn't wanna give anything away but...

I bought this album 12 years ago, today. You like Mel Gibson? Because i'm seeing a sign.

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
The Rangers need to add some players. I am a fan of what they have done so far (I know I will be in the minority there) but they need to add, at the very least, a 3rd line scorer and a d-man.
Im very curious as to what you mean by a "third line scorer" when this team really doesnt have a 1st or 2nd line scorer with Gaborik out.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Jim Morrison

My guess is Sather won't make a significant move today and thus leave us without having adressed our scoring issues. And also thereby leaving us handcuffed in getting Nash since Howson will know we almost "have" to get him.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Who do you want the rangers to sign since you just constantly ***** about minor moves? Wow we signed 1 4th line player, the world is coming to an end.
I wanted Ray Whitney. I'd be more than happy to give him a two-year-deal. I also wouldn't mind Sami Salo at that price.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
if they sign Meuller for 3rd line RW they can likely move Anisimov for a good young top 4 RD. Similar to the CLB and OTT deal yesterday

Old
07-02-2012, 08:11 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
My guess is Sather won't make a significant move today and thus leave us without having adressed our scoring issues. And also thereby leaving us handcuffed in getting Nash since Howson will know we almost "have" to get him.
Its really unfortunate that we're not making a move today. With the season starting tomorrow we may be in offensive trouble.

There's still plenty of time to make the right move on our time. It doesn't have to be done today.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

The amount of posters pining for a big move is scary, to be honest.

Its like they want a move just for the drama of it all, consequences and brutal market be damned.

Im happy the Rangers have been relatively quiet for now, and I hope it stays that way until conditions become a little more favorable.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:12 AM
DutchShamrock

I'm actually happy we stood pat yesterday. So many teams are putting themselves in a bad spot. Not too many got better, but alot ate up tons of cap space.

We'll be standing when the dust settles with cap space for opportunistic trades and even another signing or two.

Two days ago people wanted the top line addressed, but once all the 4th line toys started getting taken from the store everyone starts begging mom to buy them one. We'll be fine. The core is still intact. We'll land a temp for Gaborik.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Its really unfortunate that we're not making a move today. With the season starting tomorrow we may be in offensive trouble.

There's still plenty of time to make the right move on our time. It doesn't have to be done today.
So, who do you think we should sign if Sather won't make a significant move today (not adress our scoring issues) and all of the good UFAs get snagged up?

Old
07-02-2012, 08:13 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
That's just bunk. If the price remains too high for Nash Sather will just move on. He'll look at Ryan or whoever else is available. The reality is we don't need a 40 goal scorer anyway. A solid 30 goal forward would be just fine and cost a lot less in assets and cap hit. Much more manageable all around. And we don't have to get that guy today or even next month. We have 100 days until opening night and about 8 months until the trade deadline. There is a ton of time to improve the team. It seems like a lot of people have forgotten about that. Or perhaps it's that they have to have a shiny new toy and they can't wait until tomorrow to get it.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:15 AM
DutchShamrock

And if we don't land a guy soon, I don't see how that forces Sather's hand on Howson. Howson is the one with the problem, not the other way around. He has no options other than us so long as Nash has patience. We got to the conference finals without Nash, I'll take my chances until they accept the deal on the table. Still have the CBA to sort out and the aftermath of that.

Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The amount of posters pining for a big move is scary, to be honest.

Its like they want a move just for the drama of it all, consequences and brutal market be damned.

Im happy the Rangers have been relatively quiet for now, and I hope it stays that way until conditions become a little more favorable.
Did I ever suggest the Rangers make a move right now?

No, I've been saying all along the rangers will make that move when the time and player are right. Unlike a lot of you I'm not worried because Sather recognizes what the main issue on this team is (another scorer) so he'll make the move when the time is right. The fact that he knows what this team needs, and how shrewd he's been in the trade market in the past is comfort enough for me to believe he'll pull the trigger when the time is right.

Until then I laugh at the people who are panicking.

Old
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
That's just bunk. If the price remains too high for Nash Sather will just move on. He'll look at Ryan or whoever else is available. The reality is we don't need a 40 goal scorer anyway. A solid 30 goal forward would be just fine and cost a lot less in assets and cap hit. Much more manageable all around. And we don't have to get that guy today or even next month. We have 100 days until opening night and about 8 months until the trade deadline. There is a ton of time to improve the team. It seems like a lot of people have forgotten about that. Or perhaps it's that they have to have a shiny new toy and they can't wait until tomorrow to get it.
Alas, leaving us handcuffed in a possible trade in getting scoring. Adressing our obvious need will make us pay more than we'd really want.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:17 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Good.

Matias Strozyk‏@MaStrozyk

SovSport: Ruslan Fedotenko is close to signing with #KHL's Donbass Donetsk. Move could be made official early next week. #NYR

Closed Thread