HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency | July 1st | 12p EST **Boyes 1 yr $1M/Carkner 3 yrs $1.5M per**

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
0 risk signing. Buys time for young guys to take that spot next year. I thought this was maybe the best value signing of the day if 1 year deals can be considered.
Indeed, zero risk. That should be the tagline for this franchise.

If Boyes is the extent of our significant acquisitions up front, then we will simply have more of the same. We don't necessarily need to sign a legit top-line RW *and* a legit 2nd line C. But we need at least one of the two.

To anyone who thinks we improved by losing Pap, and gaining Carkner + Boyes: Zimbabwe's economy has also improved.

Cheers,

Dan-o

PS Michael Haley is a petty concern. Come on, people.

Last edited by Dan-o16: 07-02-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: PS Re Haley
Old
07-02-2012, 07:19 AM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
If I recall too, Haley was starting to score in B'Port some. Even had a hattrick.

The Boulton signing is dreadful.

Boulton makes Haley look like a first liner. I don't think Haley isn't NHL caliber, and I agree. Apparently someone wanted him right away, he didn't have to sit waiting to accept a deal.

Haley lead the Sound Tigers in 10-11 in points and goals for a good stretch of the season. Had a good camp in 11-12 and was dumped in Bridgeport. Why, Reasoner and Pandolfo and the back up GM. Snow told him his role in the NHL was to fight, that's it.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Brunomics

I doubt Jokinen is coming here but I'd love it if they could sign Langkow. He's not the greatest but he does fill a need.

Moulson-Tavares-Bailey
Okposo-Langkow-Boyes
Grabner-Nielsen-Martin

I could live with that as a top 9. Plus there is flexibility in the line up.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
Haley lead the Sound Tigers in 10-11 in points and goals for a good stretch of the season. Had a good camp in 11-12 and was dumped in Bridgeport. Why, Reasoner and Pandolfo and the back up GM. Snow told him his role in the NHL was to fight, that's it.
I love Haley but seriously he had his moments but overall he was a step or two behind the play constantly when he was up with the team. He really struggled to keep up most of the time.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:34 AM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I doubt Jokinen is coming here but I'd love it if they could sign Langkow. He's not the greatest but he does fill a need.

Moulson-Tavares-Bailey
Okposo-Langkow-Boyes
Grabner-Nielsen-Martin

I could live with that as a top 9. Plus there is flexibility in the line up.
Eh, I would take that. Ideally I want that 2c position upgraded.

I do no think we are going to sign a winger. It would put a log jam on both rw and lw. On rw bailey would be either pushed down to the 4th line or most likly the luxury box. If we pick up a lw, Martin would be pushed to the fourth line, which I think is a waste. Him a Neislon would make a very good 3rd line. Defensivly sound with some bite and speed

Old
07-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Symon Asher

Einstein said "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" Garth is dumpster diving again. When those Trans-Siberian Orchestra commercials are played over and over again in November It will signify that the 2012-2013
Playoff run is over.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
Eh, I would take that. Ideally I want that 2c position upgraded.

I do no think we are going to sign a winger. It would put a log jam on both rw and lw. On rw bailey would be either pushed down to the 4th line or most likly the luxury box. If we pick up a lw, Martin would be pushed to the fourth line, which I think is a waste. Him a Neislon would make a very good 3rd line. Defensivly sound with some bite and speed
I agree with wanting it upgraded, I just don't see any other signing that fits in with the cheapness that is the NYI that actually fills a need kind of decently.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:45 AM
crashthenet

I liked Haley but as long as we have someone to fill the role so be it. Boulton will be a serviceable player for 40-55 games and allow us to rotate some rookies in.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon Asher View Post
Einstein said "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" Garth is dumpster diving again. When those Trans-Siberian Orchestra commercials are played over and over again in November It will signify that the 2012-2013
Playoff run is over.
I never liked that definition of insanity, because it's equally good as as a definition of stupidity.

That said, spot on.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
07-02-2012, 07:50 AM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Wang Clan View Post
I see what Garth is trying to do with this stepping forward thing because young teams such as the Kings, Blues, and Wild had young players contribute in their couple first years.

Prospects can't stay in the minors forever...
It comes down to the simple fact that if KO, Bailey and Grabner don't produce, this team just won't be good. I honestly have no idea if these players will come through for the Isles this year, I really don't but if they're only going to produce in absolutely meaningless games, this team will go nowhere fast as we have seen in previous years.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Nova Scotia Islander

Guys as you might have guessed i am new here. I have only watched a handful of islander games and they do have some young talent. What are we needing as of now to really make the team better?

Old
07-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Crispy385

Send a message via AIM to Crispy385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Scotia Islander View Post
Guys as you might have guessed i am new here. I have only watched a handful of islander games and they do have some young talent. What are we needing as of now to really make the team better?
New corporate.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:55 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Cue the Snow and Wang jokes. A legit 2nd line center signed short term would really go a long way to improving the team. Jokinen has been discussed and I wouldn't mind giving him a look. If we could get Salvador as we are rumored to be on him, he would also be a strong addition to the blue line.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Nova Scotia Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post
New corporate.
Well yes i know snow really hasnt done anything and still amazed about the Depetro contract. I have always like the underdogs and young teams that are rebuilding. I honestly thing the islanders are only 2-3 players away from making playoffs and possibly to the late rounds of playoffs. This years playoffs showed you need a little bit of everything grit, scoring, goal tending and staying healthy. I like that we got alot tougher should give the younger stars more room.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:59 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
A legit #2 center, top 4 defenseman, head coach

Old
07-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Nova Scotia Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Cue the Snow and Wang jokes. A legit 2nd line center signed short term would really go a long way to improving the team. Jokinen has been discussed and I wouldn't mind giving him a look. If we could get Salvador as we are rumored to be on him, he would also be a strong addition to the blue line.
Would love to see Sal come over to the islanders he had a good year and a great playoffs. Also i think with signing carkner, boulton and we get Sal then that will make your D alot better and also leadership in the dressing room and on the ice.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:00 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Well yes i know snow really hasnt done anything and still amazed about the Depetro contract. I have always like the underdogs and young teams that are rebuilding. I honestly thing the islanders are only 2-3 players away from making playoffs and possibly to the late rounds of playoffs. This years playoffs showed you need a little bit of everything grit, scoring, goal tending and staying healthy. I like that we got alot tougher should give the younger stars more room.
Snow had nothing to do with that contract.....

Old
07-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Nova Scotia Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Snow had nothing to do with that contract.....
Ok my mistake on that who signed him for that contract

Old
07-02-2012, 08:04 AM
firel28

I seriously dont get Wang,or Snow for that matter.One good trade or good free agent signing(probably overpayment) would excite the fanbase into buying season tickets,packages and attending more games overall.Merchandise sales I'm sure would also increase. But every year we are in the same boat talking about the same things.I've had enough with the coliseum nonsense,the salary cap games Wang and Snow play,thinning staff,commerical flights,and the excuses. Bring back my beloved Islanders already I'm tired of the nightmare. Venting!!!

Old
07-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Nova Scotia Islander

What about Wellwood from the jets as a center dont think he has resigned probably get him for half decent money and he probably would love to get out of that ice box.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:07 AM
YashinWorksHard

I see in Bailey a legit #2 center if he has the oportunity to prove it.

Tavares
Bailey
Nielsen
Cizikas

I dont think we need another C, anyway, if Jokinen comes to the Islanders is a huge upgrade.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:08 AM
steveat

Quote:

We were 2-3 years away 2-3 years ago. I think we should be making the playoffs this year. The whole ownership issue and old arena are causing even further problems.

Plus the Patrick Division is the toughest one..err I mean Atlantic Division. 8-) We need a top winger for first line a a 2nd line center.

ie..we need Getzlaf and Semin 8-)..then I can honestly say..we are playoff material 8-)

Old
07-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Nova Scotia Islander

Is there any room on the top 2 lines for a LW ? Evander Kane would be a great pickup he is a RF but nothing mentioned about him signing with the jets yet

Old
07-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
I see in Bailey a legit #2 center if he has the oportunity to prove it.
Oh my...

Old
07-02-2012, 08:12 AM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I agree with wanting it upgraded, I just don't see any other signing that fits in with the cheapness that is the NYI that actually fills a need kind of decently.
True. I was kind of hoping they would go the trade route to obtain that second line center. A center is a lot easier and cheaper trade wise then say a scoring winger. I would like someone with size too since we are pretty small up the middle. Would like Oli, but like you said prob won't sign here.

Closed Thread