HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2012 - ALL NON-RANGER UFA TALK AND SIGNINGS HERE! (PART III)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
So, who do you think we should sign if Sather won't make a significant move today (not adress our scoring issues) and all of the good UFAs get snagged up?
"The good UFA's"

Thats funny.

This is a market where Zach Parise and Ryan Suter will probably make $100M, and a 40 year old Ray Whitney gets a multi-year deal. Thats a brutal, brutal landscape.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:18 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Alas, leaving us handcuffed in a possible trade in getting scoring. Adressing our obvious need will make us pay more than we'd really want.
You are assuming another team won't have an obvious need that offsets ours. Or that there won't be another player who is looking to get out of somewhere and who might come cheap. Say what you want about Sather and many of his crazy UFA signings...but he usually fares reasonably well in trades. He certainly doesn't win them all, but he rarely gets fleeced.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Its just a bad idea. We've so many kids that why we couldn't just sign Eminger on the cheap and move forward... I don't want to give good assets for a guy that gets forced out in 2 years.
I still want Jurcina as the #5 RD. I think Bickel will be the #7 ideally to start the season.

They would still need another d-man....

Old
Glennsoe
Horndog

If Sauer doesn't get better in the summer, we might need a replacement for him..

Old
07-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
"The good UFA's"

Thats funny.

This is a market where Zach Parise and Ryan Suter will probably make $100M, and a 40 year old Ray Whitney gets a multi-year deal. Thats a brutal, brutal landscape.
Right. Ray Whitney is indeed 40 year old, but he put up 77 points last season and is a freak of nature when it comes to physique. Unlike Brodeur he's shown no signs of slowing down. I can't see how you could be opposed to signing him.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
Good.

Matias Strozyk‏@MaStrozyk

SovSport: Ruslan Fedotenko is close to signing with #KHL's Donbass Donetsk. Move could be made official early next week. #NYR
I, for one, dont think thats a good thing. But whatever.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:20 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
So, who do you think we should sign if Sather won't make a significant move today (not adress our scoring issues) and all of the good UFAs get snagged up?
Who should we sign? Absolutely nobody. Maybe just take a cheap flyer on Mueller.

Our big move will come from the trade market. We have all the leverage in the Nash deal, and if Howson doesn't come back to reality then we try for Ryan.

If that doesn't work there are good pieces available next summer. This team is so young and has a good sized window where we're not forced to make a move this summer. Make a move when the time is right. Don't give major money to scrubs just because we need to add scoring. It's an indie yes, but it's not an immediate issue.

07-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Right. Ray Whitney is indeed 40 year old, but he put up 77 points last season and is a freak of nature when it comes to physique. Unlike Brodeur he's shown no signs of slowing down. I can't see how you could be opposed to signing him.
I wouldve loved him...on a 1 year deal.

No signs of slowing down? Besides that whole last quarter of the season and playoffs thing, youre absolutely right. He looked every bit of 40 years old to close out the year.

I would never invest multiple years to a 40 year old. I dont care who it is.

Old
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You are assuming another team won't have an obvious need that offsets ours. Or that there won't be another player who is looking to get out of somewhere and who might come cheap. Say what you want about Sather and many of his crazy UFA signings...but he usually fares reasonably well in trades. He certainly doesn't win them all, but he rarely gets fleeced.
30-goalscorers don't come around often, and they rarely ask for a trade. There's so many variables here that has to come together for this to be a likely scenario. Too many, if you ask me.

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Im very curious as to what you mean by a "third line scorer" when this team really doesnt have a 1st or 2nd line scorer with Gaborik out.
With the amount of money players are getting, I would not be willing to give a 2nd liner 5~6 million. So, sign a 3rd line scorer like Mueller.

Callahan had 30 goals last year. Not a 1st or 2nd line scorer? Really?

Old
07-02-2012, 08:23 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
After Parise and Suter, who's a good UFA? Neither will sign here. You make it sound like Sather is stubborn and refusing to upgrade the team. Souray, Wideman and Garrison could have added O from the blueline but they got grossly overpaid, and a couple of excellent teams ate up a ton of cap.

Salvador and Mueller. Jagr would fit, understand about the Sather thing but I'm not convinced it's insurmountable. That addresses a lot of short and long term issues. Still have flexibility, have enough depth for a Nash or Ryan trade.... if it's needed and the price is favorable.

Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Obviously Sather wasn't comfortable giving a 40 year old a 2 year deal at such an insane cap hit. Sure his body has held up to this point but you're taking an awful big risky, especially at that kind of money, that he will continue to be healthy and produce.

Old
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
I, for one, dont think thats a good thing. But whatever.
It's not a good thing, it's a great thing! Good soldier like Prust, but need to move on from Feds as well.

Old
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I still want Jurcina as the #5 RD. I think Bickel will be the #7 ideally to start the season.

They would still need another d-man....
Jurcina sucks you really don't want him

Old
07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
It's not a good thing, it's a great thing! Good soldier like Prust, but need to move on from Feds as well.
Agreed. Looks like Feds was skating in peanut butter all year, and couldn't pot a goal for his life.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
NYR Viper

Lombari was ridiculed for years for being too shrewd and not overpaying for players. He kept his core intact and had/has a great system churning out NHL talent. He made his moves in Richards and Carter and they won the Cup. Who's laughing now?

Old
07-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Who should we sign? Absolutely nobody. Maybe just take a cheap flyer on Mueller.

Our big move will come from the trade market. We have all the leverage in the Nash deal, and if Howson doesn't come back to reality then we try for Ryan.

If that doesn't work there are good pieces available next summer. This team is so young and has a good sized window where we're not forced to make a move this summer. Make a move when the time is right. Don't give major money to scrubs just because we need to add scoring. It's an indie yes, but it's not an immediate issue.
Our big move will indeed come from the trade market, that is obvious. And since that's very obvious, our "leverage" really gets reduced. The whole world knows we want/need Nash or Ryan. Howson is standing pat, waiting out Free Agency and if we don't get a scorer from it he'll know we'd want Nash even more.

Ah yes, the "window". I've said this before and I'll say it again. You know nothing about a window. The management knows nothing about a window. We could just aswell flop for the next seasons. One good season does not make a freakin' dynasty, not that you were suggesting that. Look at teams like Carolina and Edmonton. Do you really think they expected to be where they're at after winning the cup/getting to the finals?

Old
07-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Sounds like Rangers aren't comfortable standing pat and hoping Sauer is fine by the time season starts. They are looking for top two pairing RD via trade. Also speaks volumes of their viewpoint on Erixon's readiness.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

From the trade section of the main board;

Martin Brodeur is staying with the Devils. 2 years / 9 millions. Great news for the Devils fans and that franchise.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:27 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Obviously Sather wasn't comfortable giving a 40 year old a 2 year deal at such an insane cap hit. Sure his body has held up to this point but you're taking an awful big risky, especially at that kind of money, that he will continue to be healthy and produce.
I was listening to Ray Whitney on NHL Tonight last night and he said one of the main reasons he went to Dallas was because they were (what sounded like) the only team to offer that 2nd year.

It wasn't just Sather not offering to give a 40 year old 2 years.

Did people not see how quickly Drury deteriorated at 33-34? You think it's a good investment to sign a 40 y/o to 2 years? C'mon people.......

(RKY, that last part was not directed at you)

Old
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
After Parise and Suter, who's a good UFA? Neither will sign here. You make it sound like Sather is stubborn and refusing to upgrade the team. Souray, Wideman and Garrison could have added O from the blueline but they got grossly overpaid, and a couple of excellent teams ate up a ton of cap.

Salvador and Mueller. Jagr would fit, understand about the Sather thing but I'm not convinced it's insurmountable. That addresses a lot of short and long term issues. Still have flexibility, have enough depth for a Nash or Ryan trade.... if it's needed and the price is favorable.
I would've loved Ray Whitney and Sami Salo at that price. 3.75m cap-hit is a good price, in my opinion.

Let's hope we get Hudler or Jagr now.

Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
30-goalscorers don't come around often, and they rarely ask for a trade. There's so many variables here that has to come together for this to be a likely scenario. Too many, if you ask me.
They come around often enough. Time is on our side. No need to rush it and make a move that sets us back. We've got a very good group here...one or two smart moves and this team has a great shot to go the distance.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Levitate

Hudler is also mediocre as hell and Jagr isn't coming to the Rangers. No way Sather and Tortorella want him

Old
07-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
Good.

Matias Strozyk‏@MaStrozyk

SovSport: Ruslan Fedotenko is close to signing with #KHL's Donbass Donetsk. Move could be made official early next week. #NYR
huh did not see that coming. didnt expect him back here either though.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:29 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I would've loved Ray Whitney and Sami Salo at that price. 3.75m cap-hit is a good price, in my opinion.

Let's hope we get Hudler or Jagr now.
I just threw up in my mouth thinking about signing Whitney for 2 years and Salo for 2 years at their respective cap hits.....

Closed Thread