HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think the Habs need a legit heavyweight enforcer?

Old
07-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Drive425

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Bears arent bullys......Bruins are... I want to see a turnaround...Its our turn to be the kid with the stick....But not to poke but to beat and beat with both ends.
LOL!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Bryson

No if I wanted to watch staged fights I'd watch boxing.

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
July 2 would be the time to panic. We had a brief discussion the other day about the bottom 6, you didn't think it was I need. I no longer think it's a need.

It's hard to blame Bergevin for the state Gauthier left the team in. There was a time when winger depth was this teams strong point. He pissed it all away by trading cammy and AK.

Give Bergevin some time. I expect one of Bourque/kaberle to no longer be with us and the need for a top 6 and bruising dman to be picked up. No need to criticize yet.
I didn't say it wasn't a need, I said it wasn't the top priority.
I'm not criticizing Bergevin, nor am I panicking. No big name has been signed yet, so the players are the ones taking their time.
My critic is more towards the people on this board that seem more focused on who will fight than who will score goals.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Unless I didn't see him signed with anybody, I wouldn't mind Darcy Hordichuk or Steve MacIntyre, Hordichuk can fight with anybody in the league (he didn't fight that much those last few seasons though), is a bit crazy and can still play decently enough not to be a liability on the ice. Big Mac, well, yeah, on the ice he'd be a liability if he played too much, but, this guy is a real heavyweight, and doesn't go by the code very often, a bit crazy too...

Mike8 : Really, these acquisitions are less about establishing a team identity than they are following other teams' identities.

I somehow agree, but I think that with Therrien, and the guys we got yesterday, we're actually changing our identity into a more aggressive one, so an acquisition like that would be logical.

But, in the end, I agree with CrimsonSkorpion, let's not poke the bear while he sleeps...
He was re-signed by the Pens already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
LOL!

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:34 AM
charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm not criticizing Bergevin, nor am I panicking. No big name has been signed yet, so the players are the ones taking their time.
My critic is more towards the people on this board that seem more focused on who will fight than who will score goals.
See picture above.
Much easier too score once the opponent has backed down....

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:37 AM
shutehinside

I tink Prist is a guy who can play that roll well for the Hans. He's fought guys like Konopka and Thornton and plays a regular shift and is awesome on the PK. Moen is another guy who can drop them and we all know White loves to fight. Add Armstrong to the mix and you have yourself a team that can hold up to most in terms of fighting and grittiness. Even in the top 6, guys like Cole and Bourque are pretty tough and can stand up for themselves. Even Patches has some of that to his game.

Overall I think we're a lot bigger and tougher to play against as well as being able to play a team tough game on a regular basis. What we need now is not an enforcer but a sniper so we can score more goals. We need a LW to play with Plecks and Gio.

Patches DD Cole
Xxx Plecks Gio
Bourque Eller Armstrong
Moen White Prust
Noki

Really no easy line to play against with this lineup.

PK Gorges
Markov Emelin
Kaberle Boulion
Weber/Diaz

Back end is a little weak. I'd love to get a shut down D, who can hit and fight to wear down the other teams forward. Not enough toughness on D right now.
Price
Budaj

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:46 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Fair enough. I don't think your criticism is fair though. I don't think fans here are more content with fighting our way to last place, they just recognize the need to add another dimension.

Adding a tough element is a good thing, be it, we still have work to do, I don't believe any posters suggested otherwise.

I am glad the days of Darche, weber, ect on the 4th line are no more. It's a great thing and a positive step.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:48 AM
FireBergevin
Penultimate warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Fair enough. I don't think your criticism is fair though. I don't think fans here are more content with fighting our way to last place, they just recognize the need to add another dimension.

Adding a tough element is a good thing, be it, we still have work to do, I don't believe any posters suggested otherwise.

I am glad the days of Darche, weber, ect on the 4th line are no more. It's a great thing and a positive step.
Only because the Darche is too good for the Habs & refused their offer.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:04 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Only because the Darche is too good for the Habs & refused their offer.
I'm thankful this guy won't be back. He adds no new elements to our team, he's more of the same. Signing prust and armstrong was a step in a positive direction.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:06 AM
TennisMenace

Nothing wrong with protecting your assets. Even John Scott averages about 30 games a season. I would imagine his presence restrains teams from taking cheap shots on his teams skilled players. I'm all for it.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Top Corner2

YES we need a big guy...it will make all the guys we just got that much better.

All the teams seem to be picking up these guys.

I know this won't be popular, but if Laraque is really serious & in good shape....he was a pretty good hockey player and an excellent fighter.

If not him who else is available? Stortini...I liked him in Hamilton...

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dont Poke Subban
Fall is coming

no need. most bruins fans are already scared of playing montreal with the players we signed yesterday.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
old scotia

Pretty much all the unrestricted enforcers have been gobbled up. Bergevin must be going to trade for one.

Maybe someone like Ryan Reaves from St. Louis, he can actually play defense and even threw around Big John Scott when they fought.

or BGL is making a comeback with the habs, omg!!!

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:14 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Nothing wrong with having an enforcer that will play games against certain teams. Prop him in when you're playing the more physical teams.

Habs fans have not really seen players for defined roles in a very long time so it's understandable that many do not want an enforcer. I don't think one is needed, but I'd have no issue with one who played 20 games or so and could actually play some hockey.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:20 AM
FireBergevin
Penultimate warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
Pretty much all the unrestricted enforcers have been gobbled up. Bergevin must be going to trade for one.

Maybe someone like Ryan Reaves from St. Louis, he can actually play defense and even threw around Big John Scott when they fought.

When Bergevin inquires aboot Stewart maybe he can ask for Reaves as well.

As for a pure goon, no way. Those precious roster spots need to be open for guys like Diaz & Engqvist to travel with the team on long road trips. Nothing worse than having to dress 11 forwards because guys are hurt & your goon is useless against a small, skilled team.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Maxpac

Quote:

I would love Reaves on the Habs line-up.

BTW, when did Therrien say that he wanted a heavyweight on the team?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Et le But

Because that's what this team needs, more 4th liners.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I think we need a more intimidating lineup; skill-wise and physically.

As tough as Prust is, he's not intimidating. John Scott is intimidating, Shea Weber is intimidating, Zdeno Chara is Intimidating, Derek Boogard was (r.i.p).

I just want the habs to be really tough to play against. Burn you with skill/speed and hurt you with their physical game.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:

Agree with you, Reaves is a beast. Crombeen from St-Louis too, would be neat, better player. Always liked Jared Boll from the Blue Jackets, can play decently enough not to be a liability.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
I think we need a more intimidating lineup; skill-wise and physically.

As tough as Prust is, he's not intimidating. John Scott is intimidating, Shea Weber is intimidating, Zdeno Chara is Intimidating, Derek Boogard was (r.i.p).

I just want the habs to be really tough to play against. Burn you with skill/speed and hurt you with their physical game.

Chara/Weber have very, very different roles than Scott/Boogaard.

Ideally if we add more toughness instead of skill, it should be on the defensive end, but I think we missed the boat with that.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Maybe, but not Laraque.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Takashi

Why would you sign a player just to have him so he can beat players from the bruins?

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Would love Reaves.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Bullsmith

No. Pure enforcers are dinosaurs. I'd like to see them add a big-bodied physical d who can clear the crease, though.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Chara/Weber have very, very different roles than Scott/Boogaard.

Ideally if we add more toughness instead of skill, it should be on the defensive end, but I think we missed the boat with that.
For sure, but they're intimidating in their own ways. They have that in common.

When you step on the ice against Weber or Chara, you know that if you try something out of the ordinary you'll pay the price, same for John Scott.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote