HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Shane Doan Tested Free Agency, Got Back on His Horse and Stayed!

Old
06-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What a guy. Seriously, what an awesome dude.
We're extremely fortunate. Even if he does end up signing elsewhere, this goes to show he's going to stick with us as long as he possibly can. He's trying so hard. Almost tear worthy.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:59 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
What a guy. Seriously, what an awesome dude.
Him holding off until he knows what the deal is with regards to ownership has to be expected now that I think back to the night of his hat trick. He thanked the fans and said he heard us cheering him on. Somebody that says that, wants to perform for the fans here; his team, his fans.

He could try and chase the cup somewhere else, but who picked the final four as it was this year? I only see that if the Coyotes leave.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:18 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Shane Doan can do whatever he wants, because he is Shane Doan.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:19 PM
awfulwaffle

How many people in sports today even do what Shane Doan is doing? There is, probably a number of people you can count on 2 hands, that stay with the team that drafted them until the end. I have so much respect for anyone in sports that say screw the money, and stick with the team that took the gamble on them in the first place. That just doesn't happen anymore unfortunately, the sports business has become too greedy.

I hope Doan stays, but honestly with everything he has gone through with this team, he is one of the few that I can say deserves to go where he wants, and not be chastised about his decision. Doan is the guy that deserves "the decision" episode on ESPN, not King James. Doan was not only a leader for this team, but for this community in general. He wanted hockey to work here, and it's working. He is a leader on and off the ice, and an even better human being off the ice. He has done so much for this community, nobody could thank him enough.

I wish I won the mega millions jackpot when it was $660 million because my only investement, outside of buying my parents house would have been buying the coyotes and keeping them in phoenix.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
How many people in sports today even do what Shane Doan is doing? There is, probably a number of people you can count on 2 hands, that stay with the team that drafted them until the end. I have so much respect for anyone in sports that say screw the money, and stick with the team that took the gamble on them in the first place. That just doesn't happen anymore unfortunately, the sports business has become too greedy.

I hope Doan stays, but honestly with everything he has gone through with this team, he is one of the few that I can say deserves to go where he wants, and not be chastised about his decision. Doan is the guy that deserves "the decision" episode on ESPN, not King James. Doan was not only a leader for this team, but for this community in general. He wanted hockey to work here, and it's working. He is a leader on and off the ice, and an even better human being off the ice. He has done so much for this community, nobody could thank him enough.

I wish I won the mega millions jackpot when it was $660 million because my only investement, outside of buying my parents house would have been buying the coyotes and keeping them in phoenix.
Sadly that amount would have not been enough as if you did take the lump sum, the cash value of the jackpot would be around half of the announced jackpot and you only get that after taxes are taken out. Being an investor I could see instead.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:25 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Sadly that amount would have not been enough as if you did take the lump sum, the cash value of the jackpot would be around half of the announced jackpot and you only get that after taxes are taken out. Being an investor I could see instead.
Ha, yeah I know, but just saying, I would have taken any extra after making sure my family was settled and handed it right over to Jamisson, and let him keep the team in Arizona.

I don't know if it's true, but I heard that when the mega was up to $660 million, they got over $1 billion in tickets for that draw.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Is there anyway to contact Doan? I don't think he has an online presence of any kind, but I would love to just send him a fan letter and tell him what a great guy I think he is and how grateful I am for everything he's done for Coyotes fans.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:41 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Is there anyway to contact Doan? I don't think he has an online presence of any kind, but I would love to just send him a fan letter and tell him what a great guy I think he is and how grateful I am for everything he's done for Coyotes fans.
Great idea! He deserves any and all kudos that we can throw his way.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:43 PM
OKHoosier41218

Easily one of my favorite players of all time in the NHL.

I always respected how much he busted his tail on the ice every game I got to see in person. While I admire his dedication to the team and it would make me sick to see him in another jersey, he's more than earned his right to do so.

OKHoosier41218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:59 PM
drgregg

I can look for the article if anyone wants, but there were some amazing quotes from Doan earlier this week. From memory, he said that he was hired at 19 to do a job for this team and that is to win a cup; that job is still not done so he was not ready to leave. Legend in his own time and criminally underrated because he has spent his whole career with us. Other fans loss is our gain though.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:44 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
He kicked the butt of "Mantracker."

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:30 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

He has his stable business (ice barn) but I don't know if he'd want a ton of fan mail sent there. Couldn't it be sent to the main coyotes mailing address?

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:48 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
I don't want to see him go. I really don't. I would understand if he did, though.

If he signed for any other team, that team would instantly become my second favorite team for the duration of Doan's tenure there.
I was thinking the same thing....

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:06 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
I was thinking the same thing....
Unless, of course, it's the Wings or the Kings.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
Doan is a rare human being where the more you learn about him, the more his legend grows rather then diminishes.
Well said, Doan is a special player and by all indications a great guy. I don't care if it's tomorrow or 10 years from now, I hope some day I get to sit down and chat with the guy! lol...probably talk more about camping than hockey! Doaner = Awesome

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Per Sarah McCllelan's twitter:

Quote:
Doan's agent Terry Bross said Doan is not testing the market and does not want to leave the Coyotes
just a few minutes ago

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post

just a few minutes ago
Only because he will wait until the 9th...

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post

just a few minutes ago
I hope that's how it works out...

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:22 AM

Lebrun from ESPN is reporting that both the Stars and Kings have Doan on their radar. I know this is not really news so to speak, but Doan definitely has plenty of offers to sort through.

Isn't this what being a Coyotes fan all comes down to. Doan has been the one constant for us, the guy that seems like he would always play for the franchise the entire career. Once again we are dangling here hoping that our franchise can endure one more trial without suffering.

Needless to say, Doan leaving as a free agent would be like tearing the heart out of this team for the fans.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Amazing he was willing to give the team until July 9th, but I thought July 16th was the date they had to collect petition signatures? I'm sure GWI will come up with something on the 6th or 9th which will make it impossible to finalize any kind of ownership deal.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:39 AM
hbk

Doan owes this franchise nothing. To even provide an extension of this magnitude when other teams are spending like drunken sailors is a credit to how great of a family man Doan truly is. We don't deserve this type of loyalty but I'm glad that Doan is at least giving this organization a chance. Where ever he plays next year I will be cheering for him.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
Amazing he was willing to give the team until July 9th, but I thought July 16th was the date they had to collect petition signatures? I'm sure GWI will come up with something on the 6th or 9th which will make it impossible to finalize any kind of ownership deal.
COG says the 9th. I hear AZ law also says the same thing - 30 days from passing of ordinance, which would be the 8th. That's a Sunday, so it's the 9th.

They will make the argument that they didn't have the full 30 days because they didn't get referendum paperwork due to the emergency clause not being invalidated until the 19th. But from what I hear, they could have picked up the paperwork any time within the 30 days, but chose to wait. If they had attempted to pick it up and were told they couldn't, then they'd have a case. But no, neither Cobb nor Jones visited the office to pull paperwork on the issue until a couple of days AFTER the ruling.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:02 AM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
COG says the 9th. I hear AZ law also says the same thing - 30 days from passing of ordinance, which would be the 8th. That's a Sunday, so it's the 9th.

They will make the argument that they didn't have the full 30 days because they didn't get referendum paperwork due to the emergency clause not being invalidated until the 19th. But from what I hear, they could have picked up the paperwork any time within the 30 days, but chose to wait. If they had attempted to pick it up and were told they couldn't, then they'd have a case. But no, neither Cobb nor Jones visited the office to pull paperwork on the issue until a couple of days AFTER the ruling.
Lets say they get enough signatures, I doubt they do, then who validates the signatures? I would assume the city of Glendale, anyone know how it works? The signature validation process could take a few more days or a week to know for sure if they really have enough signatures for a referendum? Doan might not know by the 9th?

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:44 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620
I am hearing 5 years for 30 million keeps Doan in Phoenix if Glendale lease deal goes through. He could go down to 4 years but likely not 3.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

He deserves every penny if that is the case plus any performace bonuses on top of that.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote