HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

J.J. Daigneault hired as assistant coach

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2012, 10:30 AM
  #101
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,649
vCash: 500
Therrien probably wanted someone who he knew would be around with him for a couple of years, who knows how much longer Robinson even wants to coach.

I would've been pissed off if we hired some plug as the assistant but Daigneault seems like a really good choice so I don't see the big deal.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:34 AM
  #102
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
It's the coach's job to select his assistants. Don't really understand the problem here.
A coach that refuses to even consider the best assistant coach in the game and a Montreal legend because he's afraid of being overshadowed is probably not a very good coach though.

That being said Daigneault sounds very promising.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:36 AM
  #103
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
A coach that refuses to even consider the best assistant coach in the game and a Montreal legend because he's afraid of being overshadowed is probably not a very good coach though.

That being said Daigneault sounds very promising.
You really think that's why Therrien didn't hire him? C'mon.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:38 AM
  #104
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,657
vCash: 500
Assistant coaches should always be the coach's call. As for the Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon signings, those are depth player. It makes sense that Therrien had a say in picking those players as depth players, in my opinion, can be especially effective when they get along with the coach. Too many times in the last few years have we seen good depth guys being traded because the coach didn't like them. I'm not sure if what I'm saying is making any sense to anyone but me!

As for Daignault, I'm glad he's the defense coach. He did really well in Hartford. He's still young and has been in the league more recently. He has decent experience and he will be very good to our young defensive players. Robinson would've been nice too, but let's not overrate the position to the point where Daignault means apocalypse while Robinson means Stanley Cup.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
  #105
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure what you're talking about here. Isn't it clear that Robinson has NO INTEREST in a head coaching job? Geez, there was talks about him retiring, and now he's a thread to be a head coach in Montreal? Makes no sense.

One thing people should consider. While we might not like it...if you don't feel you won't "click" with a guy, you choose another guy you will click with. We don't like a hire based on what we know and what we'd like from the outside....but just now take into consideration how people work with each other....And it's unfortunately a mistakes from us. Point again, is that there were 2 talks. Yet no interviews. Strange to be able to solely point the problem towards Therrien. And again, should I repeat....I am NOT a Therrien fan by any means.
I wasnt saying Robinson wanted to be the head coach. I'm saying that he'd be the BEST available assistant coach. His calibre is more so than Therriens and he still wasn't offered the assistant coach job despite being more than happy to play second fiddle to Therrien.

As for clicking, we'll nerves know as Robinson was never even interviewed. It upsets me when we could have had the quintessential defensman coach out there and didn't because of our head coach as it was obvious Bergy wanted him. Makes me dislike Therrien that much more. I wish JJ the best but he has some huge expectations now whether it's warranted or not seeing as he's doing the job that Larry would have been happy to do.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
  #106
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
A coach that refuses to even consider the best assistant coach in the game and a Montreal legend because he's afraid of being overshadowed is probably not a very good coach though.

That being said Daigneault sounds very promising.
Because Robinson was better than Daignault doens't mean he's a better assistant coach. It can go either way, so maybe he IS better...we'll see.

I mean, Wayne Gretzky is one of the best player of all time, and he was a bad coach...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
  #107
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Because Robinson was better than Daignault doens't mean he's a better assistant coach. It can go either way, so maybe he IS better...we'll see.

I mean, Wayne Gretzky is one of the best player of all time, and he was a bad coach...
Well, Robinson does have a very good coaching record, unlike Gretzky.

Daignault is basically "potential" as a coach. He did a good job with the Whale, but this is different, especially when I don't have much faith in the head coach on the tactical side of things.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
  #108
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,177
vCash: 500
I'm sorry to see Robinson passed over, he's an incredible coach. However, no ****ing kidding the head coach picks his own assitants! Geez people, get some perspective here. If Therrien wanted someone else, he was gonna pick someone else. Just like any other veteran coach would.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
  #109
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Assistant coaches should always be the coach's call. As for the Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon signings, those are depth player. It makes sense that Therrien had a say in picking those players as depth players, in my opinion, can be especially effective when they get along with the coach. Too many times in the last few years have we seen good depth guys being traded because the coach didn't like them. I'm not sure if what I'm saying is making any sense to anyone but me!
Makes complete sense. In the past it's almost as if the GM's never consulted with the coaches. You hire Martin, then sign/trade for guys that don't fit his system. It's dumb.

Seems like Bergevin and Therrien are on the same page here....something that we haven't seen in a long time with a GM/coach.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
  #110
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,112
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
A coach that refuses to even consider the best assistant coach in the game and a Montreal legend because he's afraid of being overshadowed is probably not a very good coach though.

That being said Daigneault sounds very promising.
Do you have any proof to that statement, or is that an assumption?

They held their process, they interviewed him and they went with J.J.. Time will tell if that was the right move or not.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:44 AM
  #111
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,699
vCash: 500
Someone **** on me for mentioning I would have liked Robinson over Daigneault stating that Robinson wasn't available and wouldn't come to Montreal. I'll serve him a plate of crow right now..

Well Daigneault is now The Guy and let's see what he can do. But I still would have preferred Robinson.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:49 AM
  #112
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,586
vCash: 500
Still don't think Robinson was really available. Therrien can't be THAT stupid. Bird is zero threat to his job as he has no interest in head coaching and is an invaluable encyclopedia of hockey knowledge/experience.

Robinson may have given it a thought but his heart lies with NJ if he does return.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:50 AM
  #113
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I wasnt saying Robinson wanted to be the head coach. I'm saying that he'd be the BEST available assistant coach. His calibre is more so than Therriens and he still wasn't offered the assistant coach job despite being more than happy to play second fiddle to Therrien.

As for clicking, we'll nerves know as Robinson was never even interviewed. It upsets me when we could have had the quintessential defensman coach out there and didn't because of our head coach as it was obvious Bergy wanted him. Makes me dislike Therrien that much more. I wish JJ the best but he has some huge expectations now whether it's warranted or not seeing as he's doing the job that Larry would have been happy to do.
How do you know he was the BEST available assistant coach?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
  #114
Habruti!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 2,010
vCash: 500
Turn the page, we have a good coaching staff, nouf said...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:54 AM
  #115
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I am sick and tired too to talk about language issues. But I won't let anyone crap and bash my language and my culture.

This team has over 100 years of existence and its name is Le Club de hockey Canadien de Montréal... Not the "Habs". Not the CanadiAns. But it always had for the first 85 years of his existence a super blend of French and English Canadian players + some amazing Americans and some Europeans, my favourite being Mats Naslund.

Having some (not all) Francophones at key positions just make GOOD BUSINESS SENSE. Bergevin and Therrien are the ones who will have to face the medias (and then the fans) the most frequently over a hockey season - and off season too. A majority of people going to attend games at the Bell and paying big bucks to do so have French as their first language. The people watching games on RDS are in majority Francophones or Bilingual.

NOW. I was not overly thrilled when Bergevin and Therrien were hired. But Bergevin is proving everyday that he is a very clever hockey man. The guy has surrounded himself with a solid cast of advisors/assistants - and kept Timmins which prove once again last weekend that he is a top talent seeker. I am amazed by his top three picks, and I was kind of pissed off they drafted Hudon, another Corey Locke for me.
I like the fact that Bergevin - himself a product of many other organisations - has brought some talents that never were in the Canadiens'org before like Dudley, Mellanby, Lapointe and Gallant. Good to have different visions.

I would had prefer a guy like Groulx (from Gatineau) or Hartley over Therrien. But Therrien got experience and he is as good - or as bad - as 90% of the other NHL coaches. In three years, he,s gonna be gone. He's the type of coach needed on this team at this stage to re-boost them.

Since the end of the season and the beginning of the different processes to find a GM, his assistants and a new cvoaching staff for the Clubs in Montreal and Hamilton, it's always the same song: too many "French".... Of course it's too many, when you had none before. It's always suspicious. But just check at the ice level.... I see only ONE and he is almost a raw rookie: DD. Too many, I guess for some. And of course, he had a great year because he is playing with the two best wingers of the team...

But Mr Molson knows what he's doing and why. He knows his clientele, he knows his community, and he knows his family became nulti-millionaire throughout the centuries because the had French Canadians to work for them and buy their products in Montreal and in the province of Quebec.

My favourite players back then were Dryden, Robinson, Gainey, Mahovlich along with the Lafleurs, Lemaires and Cournoyers.

And today, I am still thrilled by our younger cast of Pacioretty, Subban, Price and DD. And I am really looking forward to see Galchenyuk, Collberg, Tinordi along guys like Leblanc and Bournival.
Here here. Where's the Kleenex!

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:55 AM
  #116
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well, Robinson does have a very good coaching record, unlike Gretzky.

Daignault is basically "potential" as a coach. He did a good job with the Whale, but this is different, especially when I don't have much faith in the head coach on the tactical side of things.
Yeah good track record...

But can only assume Robinson is a better D coach than Daignault. It's OK, but we can't objectively come up with that conclusion.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:58 AM
  #117
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,172
vCash: 500
Rangers fan here. Daigneault is going to be great for your young D. He's been a big part of our success the last few years and, to be honest, I'm suddenly much more worried about McIlraths development in the AHL. Left a big hole in our organization, in my opinion.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:14 AM
  #118
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Turn the page, we have a good coaching staff, nouf said...
This. I would have loved Robinson, but Daigneault was the next best option so I can live with it.

Hopefully it works out well.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:56 AM
  #119
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
How do you know he was the BEST available assistant coach?
Let me count the ways.
He has the coaching experience both as a head coach and an assistane
Gone to the cup finals multiple as a head and as an assistant
Won the cup as a coach
Won the cup as a player
Has the respect of the league
Hall of fame defenseman
Played for and is one of the best all time defenseman for the Canadiens
Has a proven track record of working with and improving defenseman
Worked with one of the best defensive teams in the NHL as teir defense coach

I mean quite literally that you could not mentally conceive of a better candidate if you tried to create one.

Better question is how is he NOT the best candidate for the job?

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
  #120
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Let me count the ways.
He has the coaching experience both as a head coach and an assistane
Gone to the cup finals multiple as a head and as an assistant
Won the cup as a coach
Won the cup as a player
Has the respect of the league
Hall of fame defenseman
Played for and is one of the best all time defenseman for the Canadiens
Has a proven track record of working with and improving defenseman
Worked with one of the best defensive teams in the NHL as teir defense coach

I mean quite literally that you could not mentally conceive of a better candidate if you tried to create one.

Better question is how is he NOT the best candidate for the job?
He may very well be the best option as an outsider. Clearly. See, most people don't know JJ. So Robinson becomes the best solution. But going with assistants is that it has to work out a lot with the coach. I say that even moreso than a relation between coach and GM. So there were ties between Therrien and Daigneault, and he went with that. I mean, something isn't right here. So Therrien was scared of Robinson okay so....why talk to him in the first place....2 times? Isn't Therrien aware of who Robinson is before talking to him? And then, if you'll say that he only talked to him to say to the people that he did talk to him.....is he stupid that much to think that "small talk" would be enough? That people would be satisfied with that and wouldn't come up with the "how the hell wasn't Robinson interviewed"??? Come on.....there are things we don't know here. There's a reason why it took so long to get to JJ and it's the Schoenfeld situation in Connecticut. Do we know for sure what is the deal over there? Did the Rangers just gave the Habs a small window to talk to JJ and then if they don't sign him, they'd close the window so that he might become a head coach or even an assistant in New York? Could it be that Sather had no immediate plans for JJ but things was evolving and the possibility of JJ not being available be really true? So what if we lose on that opportunity and with his extensive interviews, Therrien finds out that he really doesn't click with Robinson's philosophy...what now? We go with Alain Nesreddine? That's all guessing but I believe we've also been doing it with Robinson as well. It just doesn't work with me that a CLEARLY best candidate would be ignore just for fun. Makes no sense to me.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:16 PM
  #121
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He may very well be the best option as an outsider. Clearly. See, most people don't know JJ. So Robinson becomes the best solution. But going with assistants is that it has to work out a lot with the coach. I say that even moreso than a relation between coach and GM. So there were ties between Therrien and Daigneault, and he went with that. I mean, something isn't right here. So Therrien was scared of Robinson okay so....why talk to him in the first place....2 times? Isn't Therrien aware of who Robinson is before talking to him? And then, if you'll say that he only talked to him to say to the people that he did talk to him.....is he stupid that much to think that "small talk" would be enough? That people would be satisfied with that and wouldn't come up with the "how the hell wasn't Robinson interviewed"??? Come on.....there are things we don't know here. There's a reason why it took so long to get to JJ and it's the Schoenfeld situation in Connecticut. Do we know for sure what is the deal over there? Did the Rangers just gave the Habs a small window to talk to JJ and then if they don't sign him, they'd close the window so that he might become a head coach or even an assistant in New York? Could it be that Sather had no immediate plans for JJ but things was evolving and the possibility of JJ not being available be really true? So what if we lose on that opportunity and with his extensive interviews, Therrien finds out that he really doesn't click with Robinson's philosophy...what now? We go with Alain Nesreddine? That's all guessing but I believe we've also been doing it with Robinson as well. It just doesn't work with me that a CLEARLY best candidate would be ignore just for fun. Makes no sense to me.
I'd love to comment on your post but too be honest I don't know what you're saying or how it relates to my post about not having Robinson for the job when he clearly wants to come and he was clearly the best candidate. As far as I know, Therrien and JJ don't have a prior relationship so it doesn't seem like cronyism to me.

Bottom line, we didn't get the best man for the job when he was available and wanted to come. I do t care why we didn't. We didn't.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:18 PM
  #122
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,710
vCash: 500
‘Would have been interesting,’ Robinson says of Habs post

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...s-of-habs-post

Quote:
“I understand the Canadiens had to get going, they couldn’t wait,” he said, settling into the off-season with his wife, Jeannette.

“They decided, and they chose Daigneault. They had to move on in their task to improve their club.”
Quote:
Complicating matters with the Canadiens was the fact that he was unable in recent days to come north for a face-to-face interview, tied down in Florida dealing with the onslaught of Hurricane Debby and the torrential rains that overflowed his swimming pool and swamped the 12-acre polo farm he co-owns, stabling and training polo horses.
Quote:
“Nature didn’t help me get up to Montreal and have a formal discussion with them,” Robinson said of the hurricane and his delay to meet, upon the Canadiens request, with Therrien. “We can speculate all we want about whether that made a difference. This was a decision they made and I have to live with it.”

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  #123
BobbyFischer*
 
BobbyFischer*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
Fml...

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  #124
Nashy
The Honey Badger
 
Nashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,437
vCash: 500
Robinson is a class act....he would have upped the credibility of the organization ten-fold, not to mention the coaching knowledge he could have imparted to the youngsters....ah, well....

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
  #125
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,268
vCash: 500
Can't imagine Robinson working with Therrien.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.