HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*John Shannon HC "Do not be surprised if Bobby Ryan becomes a Maple Leaf"

Old
07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
ITM
Make Mine Marner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
New Leafs coach Randy Carlyle and Bobby Ryan have a history and its not a positive symbiotic relation between coach and player, but rather more an oil and water one that doesn't mix well.

Ryan was often mentioned in trade talks while Carlyle was Anaheim's coach, because he didn't fit into the coach's system.

Besides the Leafs chose to trade for winger JVR, and if Ryan was their prime target they would have attempted to go down that road instead. Perhaps they tried unsuccessful who knows and JVR was the fall back plan.

Unless they want to upgrade on Kulemin, by including him + more in a package for Ryan, I don't see this happening. Leafs need a #1 C and #1 G or even a #1 D as all higher priorities than trading for more wingers the only position they have an abundance of already.
An abundance that could do with an upgrade where and when possible.

Address at center and goal? Sure. But the club, any club is wise to augment when they can, and if those improvements (size and skill at position) aren't surfacing through the market, then trade suffices just as well.

Kulemin's a RW, Ryan a LW, perhaps the flip is a couple of assets other than NK. Hope so...A line with Ryan and Kulemin flanking a center - Grabovski? - would be fantastic.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:18 AM
John-Eric Iannicello

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
And Steve Ott took over 1000 and primarily played wing...
Little easier to manage that when your a bottom-six guy, rather than wanting a guy who doesn't take FO's (or play center regularly - IIRC) to be the teams #1 center.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:22 AM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Oh God. Poor, poor, poor Leaf fans. I feel sorry for all my brothers that they have to put up with this garbage from a media. A media that has zero credibility and morals.

It really has become a big joke. It's like every trade deadline, draft, and UFA is April Fools all over for Leaf fans. Each event roles around and the Leafs are getting Ryan, Richards, Luongo (was to be done at the draft), and Getzlaf -- I could go on an on. We could list 50-100 names that were rumoured to be coming to the Leafs and never happen.

It has gotten to a point where it's sad. Each passing event the Leafs fail to pick up rumoured star and it's like April Fools all over for Leaf fans.
I like reading these posts more than I like reading rumours

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:23 AM
mpleafan

This is just setting me up to be disapointed unless..... Burke could get it done!

mpleafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
ITM
Make Mine Marner

Quote:
Oh God. Poor, poor, poor Leaf fans. I feel sorry for all my brothers that they have to put up with this garbage from a media. A media that has zero credibility and morals.

It really has become a big joke. It's like every trade deadline, draft, and UFA is April Fools all over for Leaf fans. Each event roles around and the Leafs are getting Ryan, Richards, Luongo (was to be done at the draft), and Getzlaf -- I could go on an on. We could list 50-100 names that were rumoured to be coming to the Leafs and never happen.

It has gotten to a point where it's sad. Each passing event the Leafs fail to pick up rumoured star and it's like April Fools all over for Leaf fans.
And yet every now and then, a "Schenn for JVR" rumour pans out.

You know, I've yet to see people who post in complete confidence in their powers to predict certainty, or who claim ownership of hindsight as something always obvious, exert same excessive confidence when their assertions are proven wrong...Must be a self-perception thing...

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:25 AM
DuklaNation

I really dont see a match trade wise.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Inverted

Bobby Ryan didn't want to play in Anaheim because of Carlyle, i doubt he'll come to Toronto

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
Bobby Ryan didn't want to play in Anaheim because of Carlyle, i doubt he'll come to Toronto
Bobby Ryan would of asked for a trade much earlier if he couldn't stand Carlyle. Had his best years under him as well.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Quote:
New Leafs coach Randy Carlyle and Bobby Ryan have a history and its not a positive symbiotic relation between coach and player, but rather more an oil and water one that doesn't mix well.

Ryan was often mentioned in trade talks while Carlyle was Anaheim's coach, because he didn't fit into the coach's system.

Besides the Leafs chose to trade for winger JVR, and if Ryan was their prime target they would have attempted to go down that road instead. Perhaps they tried unsuccessful who knows and JVR was the fall back plan.

Unless they want to upgrade on Kulemin, by including him + more in a package for Ryan, I don't see this happening. Leafs need a #1 C and #1 G or even a #1 D as all higher priorities than trading for more wingers the only position they have an abundance of already.
Even when Carlyle left Ryan was still mentioned in trade talks: When Murray called his team out in Nov, trade deadline, early June, draft, and now.

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Sundinftw

Lol at all this talk over "don't be surprised if bobby Ryan becomes a leaf." Think about what that means - absolutely nothing.

Sundinftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

it would be great if it happened but shannon has zero credibility, i think my mother has scooped as many trades as him

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:35 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
"Seasons change, people change"

-EXPOSE

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Andrew Mack

Despite John Shannon's advice, I will be very surprised if we bring in Bobby Ryan.

This is also the same John Shannon from PTS who loved the Wideman trade and thinks that Pavelec is one of the top goalies in the league when every measure of a goalie says that is not the case? John "I know nothing" Shannon?

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
An abundance that could do with an upgrade where and when possible.

Address at center and goal? Sure. But the club, any club is wise to augment when they can, and if those improvements (size and skill at position) aren't surfacing through the market, then trade suffices just as well.

Kulemin's a RW, Ryan a LW, perhaps the flip is a couple of assets other than NK. Hope so...A line with Ryan and Kulemin flanking a center - Grabovski? - would be fantastic.
So you're suggesting our top 6 is ..

Lupul -- XXXX -- Kessel
Ryan ---Grabovski -- Kulemin

So where does newly acquired JVR making $4.25 mil play ? Unless its Van Riemsdyk that is heading to Anaheim for Ryan as an upgrade.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Quote:

The relationship between Ryan and Carlyle is an issue. I would think it far more likely that they take a run at Getzlaf.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

i wonder if Reilly, Blacker, or Percy would be involved

Old
07-02-2012, 10:38 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

shannon and may are on Sportsnet right now.

rogers 22

Old
07-02-2012, 10:39 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

this is where i heard the Bobby Ryan statement.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:39 AM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:

Lupul -- XXXX -- Kessel

So where does newly acquired JVR making $4.25 mil play ?
always sad when your number 1 centre is XXXX

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:

And then every Leafs fan is suddenly against Management because the deals never happened.

The media in Toronto does far more damage than people think. It's their job to sell papers or television ratings, whatever way possible - including bull**** rumours.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

it's possible that JVR could be flipped in a deal for Ryan.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:

Lupul -- XXXX -- Kessel

So where does newly acquired JVR making $4.25 mil play ? Unless its Van Riemsdyk that is heading to Anaheim for Ryan as an upgrade.
Ryan-XXXX-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Lupul

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:44 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:

Lupul -- JVR -- Kessel

Right here.

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Drmckool
Truculence!

Perhaps Getzlaf would be a better target, who satisfies more needs.

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
always sad when your number 1 centre is XXXX
Which was essentially my point, of why would Leafs want Ryan and more wingers when they have far more pressing needs like a #1 center..

If you're going to spend more young/valuable assets shouldn't they be better sacrificed to actually fill a vital important spot instead ?

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote