HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Michael Leighton (1-year @ $900k)

Old
07-02-2012, 09:07 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Meltzer's assessment today is pretty decent....he is spot on about Leighton historically doing poorly as a backup. He is better when he gets a string of starts until he implodes of course. Maybe he'll be motivated to adjust to the backup role better but I have my doubts. I'm not sure I agree with Meltzer that he will be serviceable. Doesn't really say much. I had a piece o crap car in HS that was serviceable. In my dictionary..serviceable means unreliable. More times than not that car gave me problems and it will be the same with Leighton. He is just not NHL material. Moreover, we are not only going to have to hope that Bryz's adjustment period is over but that he will remain healthy and play like 70 games! The same crap that burned him out in Phoenix by the playoffs....

I'm hatin this Leighton corpse that has been exhumed once again!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Being a backup goaltender is a position much like being a DH in baseball is a position, not something just anyone can do because they're good enough at it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Being a backup goaltender is a position much like being a DH in baseball is a position, not something just anyone can do because they're good enough at it.
Bob had a hard time adjusting and he has immense talent and commitment.....Leighton IMO does not have the mental makeup to do well in that role. Dude deflects blame, lies and chokes. I'm not a fan of his character or lack of integrity. Moreover, he does not have NHL caliber skills. He has proven this in so many situations the latest was that game against Buffalo in the playoffs that almost got us ousted. He's just a big scarecrow in net with the lateral movement of a tree sloth....

Sounds harsh but so was having to swallow that OT goal by Kane in the 2010 finals...

Old
07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Meltzer's assessment today is pretty decent....he is spot on about Leighton historically doing poorly as a backup. He is better when he gets a string of starts until he implodes of course. Maybe he'll be motivated to adjust to the backup role better but I have my doubts. I'm not sure I agree with Meltzer that he will be serviceable. Doesn't really say much. I had a piece o crap car in HS that was serviceable. In my dictionary..serviceable means unreliable. More times than not that car gave me problems and it will be the same with Leighton. He is just not NHL material. Moreover, we are not only going to have to hope that Bryz's adjustment period is over but that he will remain healthy and play like 70 games! The same crap that burned him out in Phoenix by the playoffs....

I still think Hoivinen could see some NHL action in the 2nd half of the season. At least I hope so because that means less games for Leighton and therefore more rest for Bryz

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

Where is this business about Leighton needing a string of starts to play well coming from? He has played in the NHL for parts of seven seasons. One of them he played in ONE game. So that leaves six where he played in more than one game. Of those six he played in 8, 34, 5, 3, 19, and 34 games. The seasons that he played 8, 34, 3, 19, and 34 he put up solid backup numbers (around .900 save percentage and GAA under 3.00). The season he played 5 games he did not put up good numbers. So again, I ask, why would he not be able to put up those numbers this year? Keeping in mind I am not saying that he is good or should be the starter, only that throughout his career he has put up the numbers of a backup goalie.

EDIT: If you are saying he needs a long string of starts to put up STARTING goalie numbers, ok then I will agree. But nothing in his career (except for the fact you don't like him) should make you think he can't do what he has done throughout his career.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:34 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I still think Hoivinen could see some NHL action in the 2nd half of the season. At least I hope so because that means less games for Leighton and therefore more rest for Bryz
If they're bothering with Leighton, it's because they still think he's an NHL goaltender. If Bryz gets hurt or something, they'll roll with Leighton until he gives them a reason not to.

Flyers need to get around to finding another goaltender for the Phantoms too.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Where is this business about Leighton needing a string of starts to play well coming from? He has played in the NHL for parts of seven seasons. One of them he played in ONE game. So that leaves six where he played in more than one game. Of those six he played in 8, 34, 5, 3, 19, and 34 games. The seasons that he played 8, 34, 3, 19, and 34 he put up solid backup numbers (around .900 save percentage and GAA under 3.00). The season he played 5 games he did not put up good numbers. So again, I ask, why would he not be able to put up those numbers this year? Keeping in mind I am not saying that he is good or should be the starter, only that throughout his career he has put up the numbers of a backup goalie.

EDIT: If you are saying he needs a long string of starts to put up STARTING goalie numbers, ok then I will agree. But nothing in his career (except for the fact you don't like him) should make you think he can't do what he has done throughout his career.
I do not like him b/c he is not NHL material..he has not shown himself to be NHL material in numerous chances and not just with the Flyers. The guy had an opportunity of a lifetime that plenty of real NHL goalies never even got a chance to experience yet he blew it big time. My judgement of Michael Leighton is not in some vacuum nor is it unreasonable. Sure as a backup he can do the least damage but if something goes awry with Bryz next year I have practically no confidence he will be able to hold the fort. Hopefully I'm wrong but I have my big doubts...

Old
07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Haha. I like how there are people who think this situation is totally and perfectly fine. I mean, it's not like Leighton has proven repeatedly that he isn't fit for NHL duties, right?

Oh, wait.
It's not histrionics to look at what Holmgren has done and question it. Let's review:

1. Signed a goalie who has been a mediocre NHL backup at best (I'd argue is more a career AHL goalie then NHL material)
2. Signed him for $900k when he was available to every team in the NHL last season for $775k and EVERY TEAM passed on him.
3. Signed him PRIOR to the opening of free agency, thus not allowing the market to help lower the price nor to kick the tires on other potential free agent goalies (since doing so with players under contract would be tampering, and no one does that, right?)

So what in there does not indicate some concern? Particularly when you take in to account Holmgren's past mistakes in this area, doing the exact same thing with the exact same player? Why should I not be concerned about this? The last time he blew a bunch of cap space on this same guy, before July 1, when he could've gotten better goalies for less money. And now we repeat.

This is without getting in to all of the stuff CharlieGirl mentioned. I do appreciate The Cheat skipping most of her post to focus on one particular part. The "blaming teammates for sucking" and "Lying about back injury" part are confirmed and we all know that's true. Even if 2 out of 3 are true, though, that is another concern. Am I going to go take Holmgren hostage and beat him until he repents? No, I've got better things to do. But I still think he's handled this stupidly.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:17 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I do not like him b/c he is not NHL material..he has not shown himself to be NHL material in numerous chances and not just with the Flyers. The guy had an opportunity of a lifetime that plenty of real NHL goalies never even got a chance to experience yet he blew it big time. My judgement of Michael Leighton is not in some vacuum nor is it unreasonable. Sure as a backup he can do the least damage but if something goes awry with Bryz next year I have practically no confidence he will be able to hold the fort. Hopefully I'm wrong but I have my big doubts...
Can you maybe point to some specifics? Because, as I have pointed out, his career numbers are contrary to what you are saying. He puts up backup goalie numbers and has throughout his career. There is no reason, except for the fact that you don't like him, to think he won't put up those numbers again. I'm not saying those numbers are going to win him the starting job. I'm not saying he'll get a Vezina nomination. But he will play backup goalie and put up those numbers that other backup goalies put up throughout the NHL. And if he doesn't, the Flyers will be ok. Just like last year, when Bob put up worse numbers than Leighton, and the Flyers were ok.

EDIT: And by specifics, I don't mean, "HE LOST US THE CUP."

Old
07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Can you maybe point to some specifics? Because, as I have pointed out, his career numbers are contrary to what you are saying. He puts up backup goalie numbers and has throughout his career. There is no reason, except for the fact that you don't like him, to think he won't put up those numbers again. I'm not saying those numbers are going to win him the starting job. I'm not saying he'll get a Vezina nomination. But he will play backup goalie and put up those numbers that other backup goalies put up throughout the NHL. And if he doesn't, the Flyers will be ok. Just like last year, when Bob put up worse numbers than Leighton, and the Flyers were ok.

EDIT: And by specifics, I don't mean, "HE LOST US THE CUP."
The specifics are that despite his so-called backup numbers the guy has been a journey man AHL player for his entire career. His nickname is suitcase. He cannot hold a steady NHL job. Again this is not limited to his stint with the Flyers. How many times was this guy sent down? There are plenty of back ups who do not have this stain on their resume. He is an AHL goalie..period! I'm not arguing this anymore. Hopefully, he and you prove me wrong but somehow I doubt it.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:36 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
The specifics are that despite his so-called backup numbers the guy has been a journey man AHL player for his entire career. His nickname is suitcase. He cannot hold a steady NHL job. Again this is not limited to his stint with the Flyers. How many times was this guy sent down? There are plenty of back ups who do not have this stain on their resume. He is an AHL goalie..period! I'm not arguing this anymore. Hopefully, he and you prove me wrong but somehow I doubt it.
I think my overall point is that, if he puts up those numbers again, who cares how much "he sucks" at that point, and there is nothing to suggest he won't put up those numbers again since he has put them up throughout his career.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I think my overall point is that, if he puts up those numbers again, who cares how much "he sucks" at that point, and there is nothing to suggest he won't put up those numbers again since he has put them up throughout his career.
This all assumes he will be a backup his entire stint. If Bryz has a big setback physically, mentally or whatever then we have an AHL backup as a stopgap when there are some good NHL proven/consistent backups. Now if the Flyers land one of Parise or Suter then I will have to accept it a little more but still think his signing was more an inconvenience/afterthought for Holmgren and it could come back to haunt him once again.

Downplaying the significance of getting a legit NHL backup for Bryz is short-sighted IMO. I think though somewhere during the season they do secure a better backup and Leighton is sent back to where he belongs..the AHL!

Old
07-02-2012, 10:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
This all assumes he will be a backup his entire stint. If Bryz has a big setback physically, mentally or whatever then we have an AHL backup as a stopgap when there are some good NHL proven/consistent backups. Now if the Flyers land one of Parise or Suter then I will have to accept it a little more but still think his signing was more an inconvenience/afterthought for Holmgren and it could come back to haunt him once again.

Downplaying the significance of getting a legit NHL backup for Bryz is short-sighted IMO. I think though somewhere during the season they do secure a better backup and Leighton is sent back to where he belongs..the AHL!
Again I point to last season where Bob was worse than Leighton has been throughout his career and yet the Flyers fared ok. Any backup we got isn't going to win this team a Cup if Bryz goes down. That is why they are backups. If you have a legit #1 goalie, you don't need a backup that could also be a starter. Teams that do have two goalies like that either spend a lot of money on their backups (Tomas Vokoun in PITT for example) or have a young guy under contract (Nashville last season). The majority of goalie tandems is one legit starter and a guy who can play 20 games or so and put up numbers that Leighton has consistently put up. I would have loved Clemmenson to come here for $900k. I would take him every day of the week over Leighton. Ellis too. But those guys aren't going to come here for $900k. Everyone *****es and moans about wasting cap space yet you want to sign a guy to a bigger contract at a less important position. Come on!

Old
07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Didn't want to play, or tried before Sunday and couldn't?

How do you know which agents Homer spoke with leading up to the opening of free agency? Which goalies wanted to come here, and Homer declined to offer them a contract?

Is it possible he had several targets ahead of Leighton, and after speaking with their representatives and realizing he couldn't sign any of them, ML became the next option?
didnt want to. Holmgren has a history of not playing the market. You really think that every UFA backup goalie didnt want to come here? and Holmgren took the time to do that kind of research?
He did the same thing in 2010 with Leighton. Holmgren has never been patient this time of year.
its ok tho, when Leighton gives up a bad goal you can do what you always do. blame the system. Hey it worked for Bryzgalov.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Again I point to last season where Bob was worse than Leighton has been throughout his career and yet the Flyers fared ok. Any backup we got isn't going to win this team a Cup if Bryz goes down. That is why they are backups. If you have a legit #1 goalie, you don't need a backup that could also be a starter. Teams that do have two goalies like that either spend a lot of money on their backups (Tomas Vokoun in PITT for example) or have a young guy under contract (Nashville last season). The majority of goalie tandems is one legit starter and a guy who can play 20 games or so and put up numbers that Leighton has consistently put up. I would have loved Clemmenson to come here for $900k. I would take him every day of the week over Leighton. Ellis too. But those guys aren't going to come here for $900k. Everyone *****es and moans about wasting cap space yet you want to sign a guy to a bigger contract at a less important position. Come on!
Again Leighton is NOT NHL caliber material..that is my big problem regardless of whether or not he will not have as negative an impact as many of his detractors think. Again, I'm done. The Leighton move to me although seemingly minor could have bigger implications than thought..hopefully not.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:58 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
they likely offer someone like Auld a two way as well
Well we have Hoivinen and Heeter coming in, though Heeter could wind up in the ECHL if he isn't ready for the AHL.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 07-02-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: mispelled Hoivinen
ilovetheflyers8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Again Leighton is NOT NHL caliber material..that is my big problem regardless of whether or not he will not have as negative an impact as many of his supporters think. Again, I'm done. The Leighton move to me although seemingly minor could have bigger implications than thought..hopefully not.
Well I guess if worrying about the backup goalie is going to weigh on you that much, there's nothing more I can say. This will be a fun season. Every time Leighton loses people will KILL Homer and every time he wins it will be "luck" or something else minor.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:00 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Well I guess if worrying about the backup goalie is going to weigh on you that much, there's nothing more I can say. This will be a fun season. Every time Leighton loses people will KILL Homer and every time he wins it will be "luck" or something else minor.
It weighs on me b/c we don't know what Bryz will show up yet! You can downplay this all you want..I'm just not as apt to throw caution to the wind

Old
07-02-2012, 11:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
no when Leighton and the Flyers beat the Panthers 7-6 I wont be saying its luck. Ill still say Leighton sucks.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:04 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
It weighs on me b/c we don't know what Bryz will show up yet! You can downplay this all you want..I'm just not as apt to throw caution to the wind
Dude you keep saying that like it means something. We got pretty much the worst Bryz possible last season, followed up by the Worst Bob last season. And the Flyers were fine. If ****bryz shows up again, and Leighton plays as bad as Bob, we'll be in the same position as we were last year. And those are two "ifs." You're acting as though the worst case scenario is set in stone to happen. If we just signed him to be the starter, then I'd back off. He's made me look like a fool one too many times. But he's the backup. If Bryz goes down for the season day one, guess what, Niity, Ellis, Boucher, Biron, Raycroft, or any other BACKUP goalie isn't getting this team anywhere anyway. Find something new to complain about!

Old
07-02-2012, 11:07 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I don't have anything to add to the discussion but I did want to say that the last several pages have had some great insight and accurate information. It's threads like this that keep me coming back here. There area a lot of fans on this site that really get it. Unfortunately at times it seems like many on here get it even better than the people calling the shots.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:11 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
no when Leighton and the Flyers beat the Panthers 7-6 I wont be saying its luck. Ill still say Leighton sucks.
Oh that's right 7-6 wins are worth less than 1-0 wins. I always forget that!

Old
07-02-2012, 11:15 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
What about the nights where the Flyers allow 6 and can "only" score 4? Do those count too?

If Bryz either suffers an injury or proves he can't handle the pressure (i.e. see last season), are you confident in MFL's ability to give the team a chance to win on a consistent basis? He's never shown it before, so what is it that you've seen out of MFL that gives you any confidence that he's not going to play like MFL?

I don't hate MFL. He can't help it if he's an AHL goalie. It's not his fault that he's Michael Effing Leighton.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
The Chris Osgood argument. Yeah, that one always works.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
What about the nights where the Flyers allow 6 and can "only" score 4? Do those count too?
Of course. And again I point out, that he's the backup goalie. Many, if not all, backup goalies will have those games. Probably a couple per season. And those suck, for sure. But If Leighton loses let's say ten games, and five of them are like that (which is probably a high estimate), I'd be willing to bet that if you look across the league at backup goalies that many are in that same ballpark when it comes to losses like that.

Quote:
If Bryz either suffers an injury or proves he can't handle the pressure (i.e. see last season), are you confident in MFL's ability to give the team a chance to win on a consistent basis?
I am as confident as I would be if we had a different BACKUP goalie in the net. I don't think if Bryz goes down that Leighton will come in and guide the team to the Cup finals. But nor would another BACKUP goalie. This really isn't a hard concept. BACKUP goalies are not as good as starters. I don't think Leighton is some great goalie. I don't think the Flyers made some genius move by signing him. But there is nothing wrong with signing a BACKUP goalie to a contract under $1 million dollars. If they gave him a lot of money or wanted him to start, then I'd be right there with you saying it was a bad move. But it's a cheap contract and he's going to be the BACKUP.

Quote:
He's never shown it before, so what is it that you've seen out of MFL that gives you any confidence that he's not going to play like MFL?
Oh this argument again. Aside from the fact that he 100% absolutely showed he can win on a consistent basis (remember that time he did it for the Flyers????), he has at the very least shown he can be a backup goalie (just look at his career numbers) which is all I am saying he will do here.

Quote:
I don't hate MFL. He can't help it if he's an AHL goalie. It's not his fault that he's Michael Effing Leighton.
Let me ask you (and everyone else crying about this) this simple question: What do you think Leighton's stats will be and what do you think a goalie on a similar contract would get and why? If you can give me some legitimate answer to that question (other than HE HASN'T SHOWN HE CAN DO IT! which clearly is not true based on his career numbers), I will never defend him again. HE SUCKS is not a valid response.