HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Official 2012 Coyotes Off-Season Thread (part 2)

Old
07-02-2012, 10:06 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Here's a hypothetical; say we keep Doan, replace Whitney with Sullivan and pick up Lombardi in a trade. Pyatt moves on, but we bring back Brule and Chipchura to battle it out for a spot while Torres serves the rest of his suspension. We keep the log jam of defensemen from the six to ten spot and plan on letting them work througb it in camp. So basically we role with...

Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Korpikoski-Lombardi-Brule
Chipchura/Torres-Gordon-Moss
Bissonnette

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Klesa-Youngster
YoungsterII

Smith
LOLBarbera

Is that a better or worse group than we had pre deadline last season? I'm tempted to say better. That D corps is just so awesome. Whitney to Sullivan is a big downgrade but, overall I think its a much deeper group up front.

The biggest thing is getting Doan back, obviously. The rest should be easy. Sullivan is probably looking at 2.00m on a one year, tops. If we offer 3m, he basically has to accept. Toronto has like seven centers and we could easily get Lombardi back if we wanted. Brule's phone is not ringing off the hook, I'm sure. Same for Chipchura. Seems pretty easily doable beyond Doan.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:26 AM
PhoPhan

That's a solid squad in general, and I think the addition of Vermette more than offsets the dropoff from Whitney to whomever, but I'm not really sold on Lombardi, even as a #3.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:34 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
That's a solid squad in general, and I think the addition of Vermette more than offsets the dropoff from Whitney to whomever, but I'm not really sold on Lombardi, even as a #3.
Fair enough. He's a gamble, for sure. Maybe give them actual assets for Bozak instead?

If Detroit grabs both of Parise and Suter, I wonder if Filppula might become available. Or really if any decent player might become available if the two sign somewhere as a package.

Not much beyond Jokinen available on the UFA market. I mean, he'd be an amazing pick up, but it's probably a long shot. Who knows, maybe Jokinen will sign in Buffalo and Roy will be made available. Maybe to Washington for a cap hit lower than Laich's allowing them to move him for assets and spend a little more cash. Maybe Edmonton and Gagner becomes available. Who knows? Maybe wherever he ends up opens options for us.

We do need another center though. And we need one closer to Vermette than to Gordon.

Last edited by rt: 07-02-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old
07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Ted Mosby

I think a full season of Vermette will be interesting. He was excellent in his few weeks here after the trade deadline.

Ted Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Fair enough. He's a gamble, for sure. Maybe give them actual assets for Bozak instead?

If Detroit grabs both of Parise and Suter, I wonder if Filppula might become available. Or really if any decent player might become available if the two sign somewhere as a package.

Not much beyond Jokinen available on the UFA market. I mean, he'd be an amazing pick up, but it's probably a long shot. Who knows, maybe Jokinen will sign in Buffalo and Roy will be made available.

We do need another center though. And we need one closer to Vermette than to Gordon.
I see room for a center and a wing. Honestly, even with Chipchura as the fourth center, this is an upgrade over last year's center corps. Vermette is just such a huge improvement over Langkow or Turris or whoever that they can get by with a scrub down there. If they can bring in someone even on Gordon's level, I think center depth is a strength. It might even be Miele, though I doubt it.

Wing is where I see a definite need for a top six guy. Boedker, Vermette, Hanzal and Vrbata are guaranteed top six minutes this year. Ditto for Doan if he comes back. All of those guys are more than capable in that role. There's a pretty steep drop off from there, though. Torres or Moss or Korpikoski can probably fill in, but they're all much better suited for bottom six roles.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Ted Mosby

Rather than Lombardi from Toronto, what about Tim Connolly?

Ted Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:46 AM
ginner classic

I could see a Connor Murphy for MPS deal. Sarnia connection and lots of scouting of Murphy by association with Yakupov. Not a fan of either team...but looks like a decent fit to me.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:47 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Haha. Maybe Maloney was just playing possum and he goes on an insane spending spree, and picks up Hudler, Jokinen, and Hagman. Then of course, Doan on the 9th.

Hudler-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Hagman-Jokinen-Korpikoski
Bissonnette

...ugh. An owner sure would he nice.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:50 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Rather than Lombardi from Toronto, what about Tim Connolly?
Steeper price tag but maybe even riskier. Better player when he's on his game but probably more likely to get hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
I could see a Connor Murphy for MPS deal. Sarnia connection and lots of scouting of Murphy by association with Yakupov. Not a fan of either team...but looks like a decent fit to me.
I don't see it. The Oilers need NHL-ready defensemen, but in terms of prospects, they're almost as deep as the Coyotes. Schultz, Marincin, Klefbom, Musil and Gernat are all valued similarly to Murphy. MPS is an asset, so if they were to trade him, I assume they'd move him for a player further along in his development.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:50 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
I'd do it. I'd put Murphy in a package for Hemsky, too. David Musil is a favorite of mine, too. I would mind a big old deal with the Oilers, and a grip of pieces changing hands.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
I'd do it. I'd put Murphy in a package for Hemsky, too. David Musil is a favorite of mine, too. I would mind a big old deal with the Oilers, and a grip of pieces changing hands.
They seem like decent trading partners from the outside. They can't offer much at center but on the wings there is a piece or two there that may be available.

St Louis and Toronto obviously have a bunch of those pieces as well. Between those three teams, I see no need for DM to pick up the phone this summer to speak to anyone else. Maybe Vancouver.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Radalov back in the KHL.

Szymon Szemberg ‏@Sz1909_Szemberg

Quote:
CSKA Moscow GM Sergei Fyodorov announces his first big signing, a 4-year deal with Alexander Radulov
Scottsdale isn't appealing enough.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Haha. Maybe Maloney was just playing possum and he goes on an insane spending spree, and picks up Hudler, Jokinen, and Hagman. Then of course, Doan on the 9th.

Hudler-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Hagman-Jokinen-Korpikoski
Bissonnette

...ugh. An owner sure would he nice.
With our defense, that team is a cup contender. One day, it will be a reality that we can actually spend money.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I feel like the Hawks could he decent partners. They need D depth and cap space for Luongo.

Maybe we take a bad contract in Frolik, who might actually be an okay gamble on the Czech line. His negative value reduces the cost to acquire Stahlberg who is a big body that certainly would fill a need here, especially if Doan moves on. Another player we were supposedly high on is Jimmy Hayes, who I thought was really impressive in the couple of games he played against us.

Maybe send a handful of decent cheap D their way for a handful of forwards that could help our cause. That way maybe theyre able to make a move for Luongo.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

As bad as Lunogo is, Crawford is worse and I don't want to make any moves that make Chicago better.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

So we have 3 spots to fill, on forward, with 14mill~ left to reach the cap floor. Is that about right? How we gonna get there? Sounds like we can afford paying somebody a decent penny.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:41 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Wait, some people want Olli Jokinen back on this team??

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
So we have 3 spots to fill, on forward, with 14mill~ left to reach the cap floor. Is that about right? How we gonna get there? Sounds like we can afford paying somebody a decent penny.
I see it as, generally:

Vrbata-Hanzal-[XXXXX]
[Doan]-Vermette-Boedker
Korpikoski-Gordon-Torres
Moss-[Chipchura]-[Brule]

If Doan sticks around, I don't see him getting more than $6 million, and Chipchura and Brule (or whomever they're replaced by) get $3 million combined. I'm sure the team will carry at least 21 and more like 22 or 23 skaters, which is probably another couple million. That leaves only $3 million needed to get to the floor, and if they're planning on bringing in a top six forward, that shouldn't be too hard. Of course, if Doan leaves, his replacement will probably only be worth $3 million or so, which leaves $6 million on the table for a top liner.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:51 PM
DesertDawg

I can see the Coyotes carrying 23 players this season and the floor changing (being lower) with the new CBA. I can't see the owners or NHLPA insisting that teams reach the mandatory $16Mil under the ceiling. While the ceiling increases (based on revenue , which also may change in the new CBA) the differentiation % between the ceiling and floor decreases. If the % was the same in the 1st year of the (last) CBA, it would be much lower than the $54MIL that it is currently at.

DesertDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:03 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I see it as, generally:

Vrbata-Hanzal-[XXXXX]
[Doan]-Vermette-Boedker
Korpikoski-Gordon-Torres
Moss-[Chipchura]-[Brule]

If Doan sticks around, I don't see him getting more than $6 million, and Chipchura and Brule (or whomever they're replaced by) get $3 million combined. I'm sure the team will carry at least 21 and more like 22 or 23 skaters, which is probably another couple million. That leaves only $3 million needed to get to the floor, and if they're planning on bringing in a top six forward, that shouldn't be too hard. Of course, if Doan leaves, his replacement will probably only be worth $3 million or so, which leaves $6 million on the table for a top liner.
IMO, the Coyotes are trying to improve the idea of secondary scoring. They are also hoping that a healthy Moss would help in that. I don't expect Moss to be on the bottom line, more of the typical Coyote 2nd-3rd line tweener playing on the right side.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Wait, some people want Olli Jokinen back on this team??
Of course. He's an excellent hockey player.

I really wish Parise would make up his goddamned mind so we can watch the dominos fall and see what opportunities for us remain.

I see it as...

LW..........C..........RW:

xxxxxx-Hanzal-Vrbata
[Doan]-Vermette-Boedker
Korpikoski-xxxxxxxx-[Brule]
Torres/Chipchura-Gordon-Moss
Bissonnette/Chipchura

Old
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Of course. He's an excellent hockey player.
...that tends to float, not that great at faceoffs, and not very physical. Don't see him as Tippet kinda guy!

Old
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
...that tends to float, not that great at faceoffs, and not very physical. Don't see him as Tippet kinda guy!
Float? If anything he's a puck hog. I don't know if I've ever seen a bigger beavertailer in all my life. Haha.

Unless you mean in the D zone. I do recall him cheating quite a bit. Whitney was pretty prone to that as well, and DT didn't seem to mind. I guess because Hanzal and Vrbata never do.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

One thing I'll miss about Ray, for a small guy he was really good at just stealing the puck away from bigger guys in the corners.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
One thing I'll miss about Ray, for a small guy he was really good at just stealing the puck away from bigger guys in the corners.
Oh absolutely. His work, while physically engaged (at least in the regular season) was really impressive. I believe that was really improved during his tike in Phoenix. My memory of him before his arrival had none of that.