HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Tootoo to the....Red Wings. 3 years 1.9per

Old
07-02-2012, 01:31 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

vCash: 500
Wings fan coming in peace with a few questions about Tootoo's game. Based on his statline and decent scoring per toi/60 would it be fair to say that offensively Tootoo could be a physical net presence on a third scoring line, or is he too inept and better used as an agitator? I'm obviously not expecting much, but if he was used a lot like McCarty in the McCarty-Yzerman-Shanahan line where he could be counted on for 10-15g and 15a while being a puck getter, would he fit in the role? Reason being I want to see if Him, Helm, and Brunner could make a lethal and fast third line with Tootoo being good for 35ish points.

Also, while I know he has many drinking problems, did he have good chemistry in the lockerroom? Was he a well liked guy, and did he get along well with Suter?

Thank you for your time.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:00 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
I honestly don't think this makes us in Detroit any better, but I also don't think it makes us any worse either. Detroit has needed some grit for a while now, but I'm not entirely sure Tootoo is the answer.

Could he be a valuable asset? Sure. I could also win the MegaMillions jackpot on Tuesday. Anything is possible, right? Tootoo will very likely be on a short leash in Hockeytown, so it wouldn't surprise me if he watches more games from the press box than he watches at ice level.

I wouldn't worry too much about him. if I were you guys. Good luck through the rest of free agency -- I mean that.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:24 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneHakanPlease View Post
Wings fan coming in peace with a few questions about Tootoo's game. Based on his statline and decent scoring per toi/60 would it be fair to say that offensively Tootoo could be a physical net presence on a third scoring line, or is he too inept and better used as an agitator? I'm obviously not expecting much, but if he was used a lot like McCarty in the McCarty-Yzerman-Shanahan line where he could be counted on for 10-15g and 15a while being a puck getter, would he fit in the role? Reason being I want to see if Him, Helm, and Brunner could make a lethal and fast third line with Tootoo being good for 35ish points.

Also, while I know he has many drinking problems, did he have good chemistry in the lockerroom? Was he a well liked guy, and did he get along well with Suter?

Thank you for your time.
He did rehab - seems to have put his demons and drinking behind him, altho they can obviously popup again at any time.

Fan fave for sure, altho much more popular with the casual fan than the more knowledgeable/intense fan - not that he doesn't have fans among them as well, just that he's very identifiable to the casual fan.

He has patches of really good play - 10 game kinda' things - where he's a good puck-getter and makes a few passes, but he's frustrating because he'll vanish for months afterward. He probably isn't reliably skilled enough to skate top 9 for the wings, but he still can be a very effective agitator and if he gets fair calls from the refs (which he hasn't the last several years in Nash, but wearing the wings red probably will help) he should certainly draw more penalties than he takes. He'll drive Babcock crazy on line changes though - he regularly overskates his shift and is late on the change. Be a lotta' boards rattling - either from him going hard and missing a hit or from his slapper - he's notoriously inaccurate (or square in the chest). He's a helpful piece in the right situation, but he's never been able to be a regular offensive contributor and it's hard to see those skills emerging at this point in his career.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:41 AM
jlsg

The other thing that will drive Babcock crazy is he can be a real turnover machine. He has a tendency to make a blind cute pass to no one in particular. He's an agitator and a diver and has a reputation with the refs that will never go away. Reason he didn't play in playoffs was the turnovers and the fact he was getting more penalties then drawing.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:43 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

It's well known that I was never a Tootoo fan while he was here, and couldn't care less that he's moved on to Detroit.

He's an effective player when he's playing his agitator role, but he's seemingly "evolved" beyond that in his mind.

Enjoy his centering passes that go from behind the o-zone net all the way back to your end.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:55 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneHakanPlease View Post

Thank you for your time.
Well liked, a fan favorite, nice guy, but your positive view of him will be in inverse ratio to how much time he spends on the ice. The more time he spends in the pressbox the more you will like him.

He's best as an agitator, but he no longer does that. Mostly, his game is of the 4th line checker who tries way too hard to prove that he's a top 6 forward.

And god help you if the whistles somehow find their way into the Joe.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:59 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
will be interesting to see if his donning of a different jersey will get him more latitude with the refs...
Yes, that will be curious..

Tootoo was great for us and I wish him all the best. To conquer and go thru rehab and come out on the other end..... incredible and I wish him the best going forward. He has a wonderful spirit of giving back to the community.

It will be interesting to see how he does in Detroit and how he fits in.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Jarnberg

It is funny how Wings fans dogged our team for years because we had a "puke" like Tootoo on our team. Now he is welcomed with open arms and is considered a great bottom line guy. Of course these are fans that cheer for Bertuzzi....

Anyway, Tootoo's time was up here and I was never a huge fan, but good for him to get a decent contract.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Good riddance. I could not stand this player and am glad to see that he will be playing for the evil empire.

Best part is no more whistles.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:08 AM
glenngineer

Nice little interview with him and Cooper. Had nothing but good things to say about the Preds, the fans and the organization as a whole. I'll miss his bonecrushing hits for sure. I wish him the best in the future on and more importantly, off the ice.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:28 AM
token grinder

One thing Tootoo has is class. He may be a bit classless on ice (which is fine for his role, they aren't of the cloth) but off ice is a real pro.

One thing that you can not put a value on is energy and he flat out brings it.

and about the whistles....any of you think goose calls are gonna sound better?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:31 AM
1c3

Good, now I can finally crush that annoying whistle my cousin has.

1c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:04 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I just hope Pred fans don't start tossing the whistles on to the ice when the Red Wings are in town.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Wow some of you guys are just embarrassing. Had Tootoo gone to any other team, you would be signing a very different tune, praising him for his work in Nashville. Really freaking embarrassing.

Wish we would've kept him for the 4th line, but I would say someone or a certain incident really pissed him off and got him on the wrong side with Trotz/management. He wants his pound of flesh, and if I know Tootoo he will get it one way or another. Anyone who is poopooing this move and saying it won't have a big effect is lying to themselves.

There is going to be some blood on the ice that first game of the season. Tootoo looking for revenge and the Redwings will be looking to answer the bell for the Zetterburg Weber fiasco during the playoffs.

In short, this is really not good as playing against a motivated Tootoo is never a fun or easy thing.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:55 AM
PhoneGuy

I wonder who will drop with Toots first - Yip, Goose, or Big Ern? My money's on either Yip or Goose.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:14 AM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
I wonder who will drop with Toots first - Yip, Goose, or Big Ern? My money's on either Yip or Goose.
Tootoo wouldn't dare take on McGrattan.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Legionnaire11

Yip if anyone, but I don't see anything happening with Tootoo for a while, though we'll all be waiting for it.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:22 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
Wow some of you guys are just embarrassing. Had Tootoo gone to any other team, you would be signing a very different tune, praising him for his work in Nashville. Really freaking embarrassing.

Wish we would've kept him for the 4th line, but I would say someone or a certain incident really pissed him off and got him on the wrong side with Trotz/management. He wants his pound of flesh, and if I know Tootoo he will get it one way or another. Anyone who is poopooing this move and saying it won't have a big effect is lying to themselves.

There is going to be some blood on the ice that first game of the season. Tootoo looking for revenge and the Redwings will be looking to answer the bell for the Zetterburg Weber fiasco during the playoffs.

In short, this is really not good as playing against a motivated Tootoo is never a fun or easy thing.

wow... just wow..

if Tootoo was that much of a gamechanger his career arc would be much different.

it will add a little different spice to Preds-Wings games but its not like we needed 22 in order to be fired up to play Detroit...

I'll miss Toots, but losing him isnt a disaster, its a "meh"

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Byrddog

Yeah Wing fans he will be great on your third line. The more minutes the better he may challenge Stamkos. With his speed he can help you PK as well. Don't worry his PIM are not a problem, he never takes a stupid penalty its usually when he is back when one of our players has made a bonehead move and the opposing team is breaking in two or three on one, he will give it up for the team. I can see you guys giving him 24 minutes too.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post

Normally I can see where you're coming from, but...just...no.

Tootoo is a 4th line player. Yes, he went to our rival. Yes, it sucks. But this isn't life or death. He is a 4th liner, not a game-changing player. He'll probably fight once in the first game of the year, then it won't be a big deal.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

It was time. Tootoo had lost his motivation here and was trying to be a goal scorer and not the energy player we needed. Moving to a new team he'll play that pest style again and will do the things that got him to the NHL, he was stale with us though, and a change was needed.

I thank him for the entertainment he provided us while he was here and look forward to booing him in a DRW sweater.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:24 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
The other thing that will drive Babcock crazy is he can be a real turnover machine. He has a tendency to make a blind cute pass to no one in particular.
Tootoo will play by the Detroit game, or he'll be playing Tetris from the press box!

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:22 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Still the best hit i've ever seen. period.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post

So clean, so beautiful. I'm gonna miss that replay in every "Collisions of the Game" segment

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post

Soup begs to differ ... RJ Umberger getting freight trained is my best hit i've ever seen.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote