HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr signs with Dallas; 1 year, $4.5M (post #253)

Old
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
NHLsnipers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
LOL. Svoboda with his mind games again - I bet he is lying
Quote:
Good stuff!
Quote:
Quote:
Is Svoboda scheduled to talk to the Flyers or the Flyers just as any other 30 teams now seeing we have no reports of contact between the 2 sides?
I think we found Jags6868. This guy/girl only pots about Jagr.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Unstable

On Puck Daddy feed Dreger reporting that Jagr "wants" to play for MTL but teams other than MTL are offering him 4 million for 1 year.

Jags, thanks for the memories, it was tons of fun to have you, but take your 4 mil and GO!!!

I will be seriously pissed if we pay him that kind of money.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:08 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
On Puck Daddy feed Dreger reporting that Jagr "wants" to play for MTL but teams other than MTL are offering him 4 million for 1 year.

Jags, thanks for the memories, it was tons of fun to have you, but take your 4 mil and GO!!!

What would it change if :

We have the cap space to afford it.
It's a 1 year deal.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:12 PM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
What would it change if :

We have the cap space to afford it.
It's a 1 year deal.
not really for me. I'd like the scoring boost, but his ice time would have to be limited to keep him from breaking down at the end of the year like he did last year -- which you don't really do with a $4M player...IMHO

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:14 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS View Post
not really for me. I'd like the scoring boost, but his ice time would have to be limited to keep him from breaking down at the end of the year like he did last year -- which you don't really do with a $4M player...IMHO
Yeah, not saying that Jagr is a perfect fit, but if the organisation thinks he's needed and we have a lot of cap space, give him the money he wants as long as it only lasts 1 year.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:16 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post

It's that Whitney signing. Getting $4.5 M for 2 years. I don't want to pay that much for Jagr no matter how much I want him back.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:27 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
It's that Whitney signing. Getting $4.5 M for 2 years. I don't want to pay that much for Jagr no matter how much I want him back.
I would have taken Whitney at 4.5.

Whitney 2011-2012 82 GP + playoffs 77 Reg season pts
Whitney 2010-2011 75 GP + playoffs 57 Reg season pts.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:06 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
I would have taken Whitney at 4.5.

Whitney 2011-2012 82 GP + playoffs 77 Reg season pts
Whitney 2010-2011 75 GP + playoffs 57 Reg season pts.
77 points is nothing to sneeze at, but durability for Jagr was an issue. I would rather pay the 4.5 for Whitney over 4-4.5 for Jagr regardless if it's 1 or 2 years and I want Jagr back, just not for that much. If Jagr could put up 80 points and play a full season, however, it would be a done deal.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

if the Flyers swing and miss on Parise, I REALLY hope they dont wait till next week to find out what Doan is going to do. gonna have move quick to find another winger.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

slightly OT bit Dreger and Eklund are starting to go back and forth a bit haha

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
77 points is nothing to sneeze at, but durability for Jagr was an issue. I would rather pay the 4.5 for Whitney over 4-4.5 for Jagr regardless if it's 1 or 2 years and I want Jagr back, just not for that much. If Jagr could put up 80 points and play a full season, however, it would be a done deal.
He could put up 80 points and play a full season, the question is whether he will.

I don't know why Jagr didn't take a month off and let his injury heal. Apparently his quad hemorrhaged during the playoffs, yet he didn't stop training. Even his agent questioned that.

Sami Salo hasn't played 70 games in a season since the lockout, and will be 38 when the season starts.

Whitney's GP from '01 to '08: 46, 67, 81, 67, 63, 81, 66

I'm not saying the Flyers would be idiots not to re-sign him, but I wouldn't assume next season will be a repeat of the last.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...hl-free-agency

Source: Canadiens frontrunners for Jaromir Jagr
Quote:
A source told Sporting News that the Canadiens are the frontrunners to land future Hall of Famer Jaromir Jagr, having offered a one-year, $3 million contract to the 40-year-old winger who was third on the Philadelphia Flyers in scoring last season with 54 points.

Getting Jagr’s signature on the dotted line is no guarantee. His agent, Petr Svoboda, told Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia, “He got 21 offers. I’m not kidding.”

Still, there is no debating that one of hockey’s greatest players moving to one of hockey’s greatest franchises would be intriguing, to say the least. In his one year with the Flyers, Jagr showed that he could still be a strong performer in the NHL after three seasons away in Russia with Avangard Omsk of the KHL.

Eight of Jagr’s 19 goals with the Flyers came on the power play, which would be a big boost to a Montreal team that was third from last in the NHL with a 14.3 percent conversion rate with in 2011-12.

Another benefit to Jagr potentially joining the Canadiens would be his veteran presence in the locker room. Players on the Flyers, young and old, raved about Jagr’s work ethic, and regularly spoke about how much they learned just from having him around. For a Montreal team whose oldest player is Jagr’s countryman, 34-year-old Czech defenseman Tomas Kaberle, adding a legend to a group of emerging forwards including Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais, with prospects coming through a rejuvenated pipeline, would be worth the gamble of Jagr’s health holding up.

One possible draw for Jagr in Montreal, aside from the city and the tradition of the Canadiens, is that he could play on a line with center Tomas Plekanec, who is from Jagr’s hometown of Kladno. Jagr played with another Kladno product in Philadelphia, Jakub Voracek, although the two were not linemates.

Lesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
SilkyMitts

Dustin Leed ‏@D_LEED

RT @RickMoffat: Jagr not coming to #Habs. Agent and former Hab Petr Svoboda confirms Bergevin called this morning to say no interest in Jagr

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Quote:
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
Just told the Canadiens are not/no longer in the running for Jaromir Jagr.

With the Habs out, what is there left then? Its only the Habs that has been mentioned as front runners.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:18 PM
SAINDON

NHL Network saying Jagr wants 1 year, 4 Million.

SAINDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...hl-free-agency

Source: Canadiens frontrunners for Jaromir Jagr
How many of the 21 offers are from NHL teams?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:35 PM
bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if the Flyers swing and miss on Parise, I REALLY hope they dont wait till next week to find out what Doan is going to do. gonna have move quick to find another winger.
agree 100%. i would rather try and get Doan for around 5M/year than resign Jagr at 4M. in fact, i think the Flyers should make Doan their #1 priority. they likely won't get Parise anyway. let Doan know he's a priority and not just an afterthought. players remember and respect that.

1.sign Doan.
2.use whatever money left to land one more defeseman.
3.then next year with Timonen off the books, go hard after Weber.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
How many of the 21 offers are from NHL teams?
No idea - I guess all of them, you´d have to think Svoboda would have said he was fielding offers from Europe to otherwise.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Lockjaw333

For $4 million, no thanks. We can spend that money elsewhere, be in D depth or forwards who are role players. I also won't be surprised if his offensive numbers tank elsewhere without Giroux on his line.

Lockjaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
$4 million? Yikes. I swear there reports of him taking a discount to play here earlier in the season or am I going crazy? Guess that's gone either way. Haha. Although if there aren't any other options for cheaper or around the same price, I'd be fine giving him $4 million for a one year deal.

EDIT: Also, IIRC someone posted a while back something in realm of that in the first year of a 35+ contract under the current CBA, the cap hit can come off the books if he is sent down or retires. I'm not anticipating that happening to Jagr but it does take some of the risk away if my recollection of that is true.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
matt read was our worst defensive forward last year.

I'd go:
Read
Briere
Wellwood
JVR
Simmonds
Voracek
Jagr
Hartnell
Schenn
Giroux
Talbot
Couturier

from last year (worst to best)

unlike many on here, I don't judge defensive ability entirely on +/-

I actually watch them play as well as taking position, line mates, and opposition into account.

Matt Read is awful at defense. He plays against poor opposition, and often was out of place and unaware of what was happening defensively. He falls victim to 'Watching the play' too often. He's a rookie though, so maybe he will improve?
I don't know what team you were watching. Matt Read played against tougher competition than any forward other than Giroux, Talbot, and Couturier (and somehow Rinaldo, but with significantly fewer minutes). He is miles better in the defensive side of the game than Jagr, Briere, Simmonds, or Schenn. Read played a ton of minutes on the PK for a reason. Read had some defensive lapses, particularly in the playoffs, but that is to be expected of a player who was playing in his first NHL season. I don't think Read is going to win the Selke anytime soon, but he is far from defensively deficient and certainly is not the worst defensive player on this team.

Regardless, Read is a very good 3rd line player who can move up or down in the lineup and can play in every situation - ES, PP, or PK - and can play nearly any position - C, RW/LW, point on PP. Finally, he comes with a cheap cap hit of only $900k. For a team that is always close to reaching the cap ceiling, Read is a very valuable player.

Last edited by Four Boilermakers: 07-03-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Given the recent signings and other developments, I'd like to see Holmgren pursue forwards in this order:

1. Parise
2. Ryan (trade, but young with more manageable cap hit than Nash)
3. Doan
4. Mueller (risky, but cheap with high upside)
5. Semin
6. Jagr
6. Nash (sounds like Columbus wants a fortune in return, huge cap hit)

After that, I'd be perfectly fine with doing nothing. I don't like Kostitsyn or

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:52 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I don't know what team you were watching. Matt Read played against tougher competition than any forward other than Giroux, Talbot, and Couturier (and somehow Rinaldo, but with significantly fewer minutes). He is miles better in the defensive side of the game than Jagr, Briere, Simmonds, or Schenn. Read played a ton of minutes on the PK for a reason. Read had some defensive lapses, particularly in the playoffs, but that is to be expected of a player who was playing in his first NHL season. I don't think Read is going to win the Selke anytime soon, but he is far from defensively deficient and certainly is not the worst defensive player on this team.

Regardless, Read is a very good 3rd line player who can move up or down in the lineup and can play in every situation - ES, PP, or PK - and can play nearly any position - C, RW/LW, point on PP. Finally, he comes with a cheap cap hit of only $900k. For a team that is always close to reaching the cap ceiling, Read is a very valuable player.
I'm not saying we're paying read to be a defensive force (heck we're barely paying him at all!)
but he is undersized, often out of position, and a rookie. He was horrible at defense last year. But he scores a lot, and he's got linemates to cover his ass. I like read a lot, but he makes me pull my hair out sometimes when he's playing defense.

(briere too. But in the playoffs he plays like he gives a ****)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
agree 100%. i would rather try and get Doan for around 5M/year than resign Jagr at 4M. in fact, i think the Flyers should make Doan their #1 priority. they likely won't get Parise anyway. let Doan know he's a priority and not just an afterthought. players remember and respect that.

1.sign Doan.
Otherwise known as Doaning with faint Parise.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:11 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post

1.sign Doan.
if we give doan 5 years, people will trip balls.
(with good reason)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote