HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Armstrong bought out

Old
07-01-2012, 09:28 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
im not sure if sitting in a press box is considered "playing"
Shhhhhh. Markov is a premier defenseman in the NHL!
You don't have to actually play to be a star in Montreal!

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:30 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Still a better deal than paying him to play for them.
That's not fair, we honestly don't know what it would be like if he played.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Suntouchable13

I dont care that he signed with Montreal. He is worn out. No surprise, really. Players that play his style dont last long. I bet he spends more time in the press box than on the ice next season. Good riddance.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

I really like Armstrong, and really wish him the best. I hope he can overcome his issues because when he wasn't hurt, he was one of my favorite guys to watch. He is all heart and soul.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:35 AM
thebear

I know the Leafs have a winning record with him in the lineup, but I feel as an older player and with the A he seemed way too laid back/jokey, which was good for laughs in the dressing room, but I'd much prefer a serious/no nonsense/balls out/tough type of leadership, as well as that type of style in the bottom 6... it's too bad. I thought when he had that half clapper top cheddar in his first preseason that he would be awesome.

thebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Wait. So we buy him out, he gets signed, and the Habs pay nothing?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Habs will have quite a few guys in bottom 6 to work with, Armstrong being one of them. He may be on 4th line or 3rd line or in pressbox, at 1 mil, not a bad deal for my team. That being said, surprised he got bought out but not the end of the world for TO.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Antropovsky

Not gonna miss him, he's a glorified lapierre, runs around, talks alot, but won't back it up with his fists.. and the few times he does, well it's royally embarrassing. Definitely didn't bring any leadership either, unless bringing it on twitter counts.

Burke wants tough... something Armstrong isn't.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:54 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Habs will have quite a few guys in bottom 6 to work with, Armstrong being one of them. He may be on 4th line or 3rd line or in pressbox, at 1 mil, not a bad deal for my team. That being said, surprised he got bought out but not the end of the world for TO.
There really should be no surprise. He wasn't effective in Toronto and we need the cap space.

I wish him luck in MTL, but honestly hope he stinks!

Old
07-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Armstrong sucked his entire time here, or was injured.

Will not miss him at all, he brought nothing but jokes to the team. A team full of jokes.

Armstrong + Wilson gone, the old-but-not-old Guard, peace

I feel that i need to atleast state twice, how awful Armstrong was here. I give it 10 games before he breaks something again, then spends the 5 games he's back with a courtesy flush to "get back up to speed" before he gets injured again

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:59 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Not gonna miss him, he's a glorified lapierre, runs around, talks alot, but won't back it up with his fists.. and the few times he does, well it's royally embarrassing. Definitely didn't bring any leadership either, unless bringing it on twitter counts.

Burke wants tough... something Armstrong isn't.
I swear I remember tons of post saying how instrumental Armstrrong was to the Leafs when they had their amazing start to the season two years ago. Then he got hurt and the Leafs started loosing every game. Same last year, Leafs were in playoff contention until he got hurt. Burke gave u on him and it was unfair to tell him they lost faith in his ability to play in this league. He will proveBurke and the Leafs wrong in Montreal. He just got terrible injury luck. Pathetic he was bought out for that. No respect.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
I swear I remember tons of post saying how instrumental Armstrrong was to the Leafs when they had their amazing start to the season two years ago. Then he got hurt and the Leafs started loosing every game. Same last year, Leafs were in playoff contention until he got hurt. Burke gave u on him and it was unfair to tell him they lost faith in his ability to play in this league. He will proveBurke and the Leafs wrong in Montreal. He just got terrible injury luck. Pathetic he was bought out for that. No respect.
But I thought that "nobody would want him" and he was "dead wood" as you put it?

I wonder what has changed since then?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:11 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
You know what's funny, some guy with the same handle as you called Armstrong dead wood back in April.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=365
Nice find! Putting things in contest though, the OP that initiated my reply was trying to package mediocre players in a trade to get a good player. I get fed up of the all too frequent Komisarek, Connolly, Lombardy and McArthur for Nash type of trade proposals so I write stupid things then. I also said he was dead wood for 3 million. Not 1 million, which is close to league minimum. Anyway, Burke has other more pressing issues to deal with in my opinion (#1C, goaltender...). My biggest complaint about all this Armstrong thing is Burke going public saying he thought Armstrong was done as a player. Considering his injuries, Burke should just have shut up, nut everyone knows he can't shut up. Classless really. No wonder we are having trouble getting good UFAs. Having said all this, Armstrong will certainly not get Montreal out of the gutter though.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:18 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
But I thought that "nobody would want him" and he was "dead wood" as you put it?

I wonder what has changed since then?
Furthermore, in this case the only thing the Habs gave for Armstrong was a chance to prove Toronto wrong. The original post you mentionedinvolved giving up a top player in package including Armstrong.
Very different IMHO.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Now that A is gone...time to think about getting rid of L C K.

If we did absolutely nothing from now till October besides get rid of L C K and let the kids play, I'd be a happy camper.

Lombardi, Connolly, Komisarek don't provide veteran leadership...and they are almost always invisible so we won't be missing their on ice contribution at all.

Komi could be trade to Long Island since his cap hit is now higher than what he is actually paid.

Waive Lombardi.

Give Connolly a chance to bounce back if we can't find any suitors but if things do work out, it's time to give a guy like Kadri or Colborne a chance.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
Nice find! Putting things in contest though, the OP that initiated my reply was trying to package mediocre players in a trade to get a good player. I get fed up of the all too frequent Komisarek, Connolly, Lombardy and McArthur for Nash type of trade proposals so I write stupid things then. I also said he was dead wood for 3 million. Not 1 million, which is close to league minimum. Anyway, Burke has other more pressing issues to deal with in my opinion (#1C, goaltender...). My biggest complaint about all this Armstrong thing is Burke going public saying he thought Armstrong was done as a player. Considering his injuries, Burke should just have shut up, nut everyone knows he can't shut up. Classless really. No wonder we are having trouble getting good UFAs. Having said all this, Armstrong will certainly not get Montreal out of the gutter though.
Burke never said that.

"Colby, from our perspective...it's a difficult thing because this is a guy that was hurt the entire time he was here. If it wasn't for bad luck he would have had no luck as a Leaf, and they were totally different injuries. It wasn't like he had a bad knee that kept going wonky on him. High ankle sprains and this and that, concussions...he just couldn't stay healthy and the injuries, the recovery period broke him down as a player and he wasn't able to get there at the end so...We're greatful for what he did for us when he was here, it wasn't for a lack of effort, he's a good kid, but we're moving on."

Not sure where you heard him say that.

Liminality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:06 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
Burke never said that.

"Colby, from our perspective...it's a difficult thing because this is a guy that was hurt the entire time he was here. If it wasn't for bad luck he would have had no luck as a Leaf, and they were totally different injuries. It wasn't like he had a bad knee that kept going wonky on him. High ankle sprains and this and that, concussions...he just couldn't stay healthy and the injuries, the recovery period broke him down as a player and he wasn't able to get there at the end so...We're greatful for what he did for us when he was here, it wasn't for a lack of effort, he's a good kid, but we're moving on."

Not sure where you heard him say that.
I find it hilarious how fans and management are more patient with Burke than with Armstrong. It was not for effort that Army could not produce while on the leafs. It was things a bit out of his control - like injuries and such. And here is Burke ditching a under perfomring and underwhelming player that has lots of potential. And yet any discussion of removing Burke (not that I'm arguing for this ) is tabboo.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I find it hilarious how fans and management are more patient with Burke than with Armstrong. It was not for effort that Army could not produce while on the leafs. It was things a bit out of his control - like injuries and such. And here is Burke ditching a under perfomring and underwhelming player that has lots of potential. And yet any discussion of removing Burke (not that I'm arguing for this ) is tabboo.
Trying to derail the thread?

I also wouldn't say Armstrong had lots of potential. He was underwhelming and under performing because of injuries like you said. Maybe he could be a decent 3rd line winger again but I'd rather he made room for Frattin or someone else who's fighting for a spot on the roster.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:29 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
That's not fair, we honestly don't know what it would be like if he played.
Well actually we do. He played about 70 odd games for the Leafs. I'll tell you what it would be like if he played. UNDERWHELMING. What is the fascination with mediocre 3rd line players? Why do folks get all hung up on Armie, Crabb and Steckel type players...these guys are so replaceable and I'd rather the Leafs play a bunch of AHL scrubs in those roles and have some real talent on the top 6 and a bonafide #1 goalie with a Suter type #1 Defenseman.

Who cares about Colby Armstrong? I'd much rather see Matt Frattin....any day of the week.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:34 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
Trying to derail the thread?

I also wouldn't say Armstrong had lots of potential. He was underwhelming and under performing because of injuries like you said. Maybe he could be a decent 3rd line winger again but I'd rather he made room for Frattin or someone else who's fighting for a spot on the roster.

Not trying to derail the thread at all. I find it curious how people can compartmentalize this situation in their brain to rationalize a story.

And I'm all for playing the kids. What you are pointing is how these costly and long UFA signings (and trades via Lombardi) are hampering the development of youth.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Liminality

Quote:
Not trying to derail the thread at all. I find it curious how people can compartmentalize this situation in their brain to rationalize a story.
haha I had to look up the meaning of this word, had me confused for a second.

Quote:
And I'm all for playing the kids. What you are pointing is how these costly and long UFA signings (and trades via Lombardi) are hampering the development of youth.
I don't think I was drawing that conclusion, not sure how you perceived that from my post.
I'm on the side of playing the kids when they're ready.

I just think Armstrong tried to make it work here, got unlucky and both parties have moved on. Not really a big deal.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
bobermay

I can't say that I'm all that surprised. Despite Colby being a more heart and soul player than most of our players, I always felt like he wasn't a Randy Carlyle player.... He's actually quite small (not in height, but in size), and isn't that strong of a presence in the bottom six. I loved his never give up attitude, but I didn't think he was a Carlyle player.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:09 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Well actually we do. He played about 70 odd games for the Leafs. I'll tell you what it would be like if he played. UNDERWHELMING. What is the fascination with mediocre 3rd line players? Why do folks get all hung up on Armie, Crabb and Steckel type players...these guys are so replaceable and I'd rather the Leafs play a bunch of AHL scrubs in those roles and have some real talent on the top 6 and a bonafide #1 goalie with a Suter type #1 Defenseman.

Who cares about Colby Armstrong? I'd much rather see Matt Frattin....any day of the week.
It was a joke but anyway, for the first time in ALL history I agree with you. Colby (for whatever reason) didn't get it done in TO. Let's give Frattin his chance.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:12 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Burke is 'ditching' a guy who didn't get the job done. Don't care why, he didn't. We move on, he moves on. No hard feelings until he takes his first run at Phil

Old
07-02-2012, 11:29 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Burke is 'ditching' a guy who didn't get the job done. Don't care why, he didn't. We move on, he moves on. No hard feelings until he takes his first run at Phil

Yet people disagree with any fan that want to "ditch" Burke who they feel is not getting the job done. Not that I disagree with opening a roster spot for a kid (if that is the plan) nor am I suggesting to fire Burke, but ditching underperforming people works equally well for management as it does for players.