HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q & A w/ Boyes on FA and Ruff -- Not returning to Buffalo

Old
07-01-2012, 01:12 PM
GodHatesBuffalo

vCash: 500
Yeah they've backed off that Ruff conversation and are now covering the signings, you'll be happy to know.

In the first hour of July 1 there are no signings. The conversation has to be filled with interesting topics.

GodHatesBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodHatesBuffalo View Post
Just because a statement may be bold and controversial does not make it absurd. Absurdity implies that there is absolutely not one shred of credibility to the statement. Several players have identified Ruff as not being part of the solution. There are credible aspects to my claim of him being a cancer.
Cancer is extremely harsh. I don't care enough to really push the issue here but I think most every person here who wants Ruff fired would agree.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:13 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
It's not just about the Sabres. They could talk about any number of other signings going on. Instead, we get the same debates about Ruff on one of the few days in the off season when actual things are happening.

Meh, if what WGR keeps spouting is what people really want to hear, then I'm definitely in the minority.

Thank you. At this point I might as well just go watch TSN or something. It seems like it's too much to ask the Buffalo sports media to give decent coverage of free agency.
Schopp has mixed it up little by whining that we haven't signed anyone yet or that there are no rumors of us signing someone. When you have no clue about the NHL or hockey generally, you stick to what little you do know.

Its amazing this guy ever hosted a radio show called "sports talk for smart people".

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Coming from coaches and having success with coaches that were yellers and screamers and hard on you, that's fine, as long as you get a pat on the back when you do something well. I want to play for a coach that I respect a lot and that'll go a long way in the way that I play.

That starts by communicating with off-ice stuff, saying hi, asking how the family is. Those things go a long way. I'm just looking for a coach that will do that to begin with. Once you get the personal side, then it's the hockey stuff, with the coach communicating what he likes or doesn't like about your play.

I don't need someone telling me every game, every minute or every shift if I've done something good or bad, but every once in a while it's nice to hear some communication either way to know you're part of the team and feel important.

I'll take what I can from last year but I'm looking at next year to really getting back to having fun and playing on a team that wants me there and I want to be a part of.
That's the most interesting quote to me. Very interesting...

I always liked Boyes, he infuriated me to no ends, but he seemed like a good teammate and never complained about his ****** position on the team. I hope he regains his form on the Islanders, quality guy.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Perhaps over the years, coaching a perennial group of call-ups, Ruff has become accustomed to barking at young players. Then when a veteran guy comes along he treats them much the same way and it doesn't go over very well? Just a thought.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Der Jaeger

Doug Weight on NHL Network, talking about Brad Boyes.

"We're going to put him into places to succeed."

Last edited by Der Jaeger: 07-01-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: deleted comment
Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:51 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
That's the most interesting quote to me. Very interesting....
Can't be Hockey Heaven when the coach treats you like a nothing.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:40 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

I think this Ruff stuff is starting to boil for the very 1st time, if he doesnt get off to a good start next year it will boil over. I can see the light at the end of the Ruff tunnel, and what long ass tunnel it was.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Revelate

it's certainly boiling on WGR right now.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

A player who consistently underperformed during his time here takes pot shots out the door, knowing full well that his lack of performance is going to cost him money on his next deal, and people actually put stock in it?

Of COURSE Boyes is going to crap on Ruff. He knows he can get away with it, and it's a classic move from a player who is trying to make excuses for his lack of numbers while angling for that next deal.

The people who hate Ruff already are of course eating this up, but it really doesn't mean anything.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Schopp has mixed it up little by whining that we haven't signed anyone yet or that there are no rumors of us signing someone. When you have no clue about the NHL or hockey generally, you stick to what little you do know.

Its amazing this guy ever hosted a radio show called "sports talk for smart people".
Schopp is a smart guy, but for someone who claims to be a #1 hockey fan and a sports radio host, he sure doesn't do his homework that well.

Your average HFboards user knows more about players/prospects around the league than Schopp. Unfortunately, this doesn't stop them from having awful, stupid opinions.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Husko

I cannot believe the attention this article has received. It is really such a nonissue...

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
I cannot believe the attention this article has received. It is really such a nonissue...
Thank WGR. They are a complete embarrassment. So are quite a number of fans. I don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with wanting Ruff out, but the quotes from Boyes were tame and he's Brad Boyes.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Husko

Does anyone contact them and tell them this? I don't have the patience to wait in line on the phone, but I'm sending in a friendly text (550550):

"All of this talk about Boyes and Ruff is boring, uninteresting, irrelevant, and otherwise embarrassing for wgr. Put it to rest and move on."

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:04 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Does anyone contact them and tell them this? I don't have the patience to wait in line on the phone, but I'm sending in a friendly text (550550):

"All of this talk about Boyes and Ruff is boring, uninteresting, irrelevant, and otherwise embarrassing for wgr. Put it to rest and move on."
Exhibit A : The Whiner Line.

WGR wants callers to call in and be unreasonable. They pander to the vocal minority that doesn't really give a damn about the sport, but are really good at complaining about it.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:07 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Exhibit A : The Whiner Line.

WGR wants callers to call in and be unreasonable. They pander to the vocal minority that doesn't really give a damn about the sport, but are really good at complaining about it.
Sports talk is really boring if its a giant Kumbaya.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Sports talk is really boring if its a giant Kumbaya.
And it's really ignorant and embarrassing if it's like the atmosphere WGR pushes. Talk radio is garbage in general and sports talk radio is typically worse than most any of it.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:15 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
And it's really ignorant and embarrassing if it's like the atmosphere WGR pushes. Talk radio is garbage in general and sports talk radio is typically worse than most any of it.
But like any business, they do what makes money. So people must listen.

I dont take what they say personally, its all opinion, everyone has one.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
indigoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Thank WGR. They are a complete embarrassment. So are quite a number of fans. I don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with wanting Ruff out, but the quotes from Boyes were tame and he's Brad Boyes.
Tell me more

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:26 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

People in this town like sports. WGR is the only sports station in town. Of course people listen.

Back when WGR and WNSA were both on the air, WNSA used to kick the crap out of WGR ratings wise. (Although ratings don't imply quality. ) The 'dumb' callers would get run on WNSA shows, and they'd get their airtime on WGR.

Now, dumb and uninformed is the rule. You can't disagree reasonably with WGR hosts; you'll be run. They want loud, they want angry. This is the same station that openly embraces patently false Eklund rumors, and does 95% of it's sports reporting based on Twitter.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:

I don't see what one has to do with the other. Yes, people like it. This is what's called the lowest common denominator, which is a consistently economically feasible concept. Their economic success has no bearing on my judgments of their content.

And I'd submit that I'm not talking about opinions, I'm talking about atmosphere. This is the territory of tabloids and the poisonous political atmosphere. It's all the same cheap-minded garbage.

If people are entertained by it, that's perfectly understandable. I find it entertaining at times. But many people take it -- as they do in political discourse -- as some sort of intellectually validated, reasoned conversation which then influences their general outlook.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:03 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
A player who consistently underperformed during his time here takes pot shots out the door, knowing full well that his lack of performance is going to cost him money on his next deal, and people actually put stock in it?

Of COURSE Boyes is going to crap on Ruff. He knows he can get away with it, and it's a classic move from a player who is trying to make excuses for his lack of numbers while angling for that next deal.

The people who hate Ruff already are of course eating this up, but it really doesn't mean anything.
It's not just Boyes i thought? I don't like where this is going. If you go on wgr 550 look at the poll. Do you think having Ruff as coach hurts the Sabres in getting players? YES 65% NO 35%

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
It's not just Boyes i thought? I don't like where this is going. If you go on wgr 550 look at the poll. Do you think having Ruff as coach hurts the Sabres in getting players? YES 65% NO 35%
There's no doubt that there are players out there who don't like Ruff, but I wish I knew how big a percentage. It's really hard to tell because the guy's been coaching so long that you have to expect there will be a bunch of guys out there who don't like him, just as with any coach. I do feel like the percentage of players who have a problem with him is likely higher than that of the average coach.

As to the poll, I don't put any stock in it because it doesn't mean anything. Almost any poll like this is completely biased by emotional response. It's the same thing in political polls, people will use their answer as a way of expressing their feelings of some current news item or point of contention. On top of that, what do they or I or any of us know what UFAs think of Ruff.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:10 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Why should put any stock into what talk radio listeners think about Ruff?

Old
07-02-2012, 11:13 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:

It's not irrelevant during free agency, when you're trying to lure players to a market that has a bad stigma attached to it already, then an ex-player comes out and says the coach treated him like ****.

As far as the "consistently underperformed" most scorers will do that when they're used on the 4th line pretty much exclusively. Boyes has a legit gripe, and his comments are pretty tame considering how much money he lost out on yesterday.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote