HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How did you become a fan of your team?

Old
07-02-2012, 11:18 AM
BeBen*

vCash: 500
When i won the race to my Mom's uterus

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
nmbr_24

I became a Bruins fan when I was a kid. I had a black and white television and one day I was turning through the stations and I was barely getting channel 18 from Hartford Connecticut, for some reason it was saying it was channel 38 out of Boston.

This confused me and I wanted to figure out why this was happening so I held the antenna and watched. What I saw was the most tremendous skater I had ever seen, he skated through an entire hockey team, skated around the oppositions net and put the puck right on a wide open forwards stick for the easiest goal you can imagine.

From that day on I have been a Bruins fan and I have yet to see another player quite like Bobby Orr.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:12 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Dunno, just did. Same for my fandom of the Cubs, Bears, and Illini. I was raised into it and never saw reason to change.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Mav3rick07
Hall-McDavid-Eberle

Born in Edmonton. Grew up watching the Oilers(even though I grew up watching them losing to the Stars in the playoffs).

The rest is history....

Mav3rick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Issacar

Being from Montréal, having a grandfather who worked in the old Forum (oddly he was a Bruins fan mind you), being a Canadiens fan is only natural.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
When i won the race to my Mom's uterus
Sounds legit coming from someone with Jean-Charle Lajoie as their avatar lol

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Always sort of had a soft spot for the Canucks being from Vancouver even played a bit of NHL 98 or 99 if memory serves. However I only started watching hockey at sixteen, when my cousin insisted on showing me NHL 07 and I loved it. He mentioned the Habs/Leaf game that week and I decided to let him put it on. Never looked back.

Started with the Habs but circled back to the Canucks during their marathon series against Dallas. I slowly started watching more and more from then on.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Born in India, raised and currently living in T-dot. My first team is always my last team, so Leafs are going to be my one and only team through-out my life span.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Pizza the Hutt
Top Cheddar

vCash: 50
Born into Flames household (not from Calgary). Parents routinely threatened me with abandonment if I didn't support the family team.

Pizza the Hutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Palffy3314

My friend brought over an old NHL game for Playstation 1. It was in 2002, I was 12 years old and had played soccer all of my life up to that point. Never really liked sports video games, but I got hooked on the game (I think was was NHL Faceoff '99, so it was outdated) and my friend introduced me to the Kings. I got so addicted to the game, I asked him to let me borrow it. It was summer break, so I was up until midnight or 1 in the morning playing it almost nonstop for a couple weeks straight. By the time the real NHL season started (02-03 season,) I decided to start watching and loved the sport. I recognized some of the Kings players from the game (Palffy, Stumpel, Lapperiere...etc) and the rest was history.

Palffy3314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Acetylene
The Legacy of Jarmo

Became a Leafs fan because of Börje Salming, who is from the Northern Sweden just like me. Sundin has always been a favourite as well!

Acetylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:22 AM
mbhhofr

I grew up in Winnipeg. When I was fourteen, my dad took me to the 1953 Grey Cup game in Toronto. We also had tickets for a Saturday night NHL game between the Leafs and Canadiens. The night before the game, we went to the Royal York Hotel where the Canadiens, who had won the Stanley Cup the previous April, were staying. We knew a Canadien scout and he introduced me to Paul Meger, who gave me a post card size picture of himself and autographed it. Meger then took me around the lobby and introduced me to his teammates. I got to meet, shake hands with and get the autographs of a few of them. Among those I met and got autographs from were five future Hall of Fame Inductees, Maurice Richard, Boom Boom Geoffrion, Tom Johnson, Butch Bouchard and their coach, Dick Irvin. I still have those autographs and needless to say, I'm still a Canadien fan.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:42 AM
adsfan

I started out as a fan of the new local team in Dayton in the IHL in 1964. They became a secondary affiliate of the Bruins, so I followed them during the late 1960s and early 1970s. Bobby Orr was my idol. The team folded and I went to college. This was the Flyers era of beating up everybody in sight, so I stopped following hockey for several years. I moved to Milwaukee, who also had an IHL team, so I began following them. In 1998, the Admirals affiliated with the expansion Nashville Predators. I became and remain a Preds fan since 75% of their roster played in Milwaukee.

Last edited by adsfan: 07-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:44 AM
nyrfonmoni
beyond good and evil

NHL 2000 => Theoren Fleury => New York Rangers baby!

nyrfonmoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:29 AM
strutsboa

I won a "fantasy hockey"-league in Sweden in '07 against 55 000 competitors and the prize was a trip to Montreal/Ottawa to watch Ottawa vs Montreal and Montreal vs Buffalo. Before the trip I had always been a huge hockey fan, but never had any favorite team in the NHL. That was about to change...

Even due to the fact that Ottawa was dominating and won with 5-2 and I got to meet Alfie after the game, somehow I fell in love with the Montreal Canadiens. I think it was mostly because the Habs fans were rocking the Scotiabank Place the whole night despite losing and playing away from home.

The night after it was time for Montreal vs Buffalo with Montreal still in the hunt for a playoff-spot (4th last game of the season). Canadiens beat the Sabres with 4-3 after a beautiful goal by Koivu and after hearing 21 273 people screaming "SAAAAKU, SAAAAKU", I knew it was the right team for me.

Ever since that trip I've missed maybe a handful games per season (including this horrible season) despite having the games in the middle of the night with early school/work the day after.

I'm very happy that I won that trip, because otherwize I would probably still be without a favorite team.

strutsboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Karter

Bure <3

Karter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:22 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
Bure <3
Valeri too?

Would explain the split between Nucks and Habs

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:52 AM
clayman

I have two actually, and a number of teams I just like.. The Coyotes because I lved in Arizona for many years and the Mapleleafs because I remember watching them on tv in black and white back in the late sixties.

I have to admit to being a fan of the original six also, and have a soft spot for the Canadian teams.

I used to be a Kings fan as I grew up in SoCal, played in the Forum once and and was a huge fan of Vachon, Harper, Maloney, Goring etc, but since the playoffs and seeing the way that there Captain plays I lost all respect for them. When he's gone I'll follow them again! lol..

Anyway, overall probably I'd have to say the Coyotes are my favorite. I just hope they are able to stay put! lol..

Last edited by clayman: 07-04-2012 at 12:01 PM.
clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:16 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Got ya, was being rhetorical, thanks for the support this year!

Just for info, I don't think I have seen more hate between two teams then the Avs/Red Wings in watching the sport for 45 years...in the '70s, EVERYONE hated the Flyers, but that was Universal Hate...but between two teams (and I am talking a sustained hate here), that rivalry really went unmatched.
I remember playing hockey back in the hated Flyers day and when people found out even non-hockey fans would mention them. They were definitely a black eye ( pun intended..) on the sport for awhile?

And I can relate to the growing up in SoCal and finding hockey on tv for the first time back in the 60's! I was born in Torrance and grew up in OC... Glad to hear there are other old timers here!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:14 PM
kingsboy11
#CalderCuporbust

I really started to watch the kings around 2007 when my dad took me and my friends to a kings game. I watched some of the kings games prior to that day because they drafted this really good Slovenian player named Anze Kopitar, but I didn't follow them a lot. But when I watched the game live, I was hooked. Proudly following them for 5 years and hoping for many great years to come.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:19 AM
La Vieille Garde
Rookie User

Ok, I have my thoughts together. At my age it takes awhile! Growing up in central Indiana in the early 70s there was no local hockey that I could get to. I first saw the NHL on ABC's Sunday game of the week and loved it right away. Since I had no access to ice hockey, I managed to get a street hockey site and played street hockey. I liked the Sabres and Canadiens early on, but did not have a clear favorite in the NHL. When I turned 16 I was able to drive down to Indy to watch the Racers and they became my fave. They folded and we got the Checkers. The Checkers were the Islanders' farm club during their Cup run, so the Islanders became my first actual favorite NHL club. During the 80s the NHL was not televised in my area, as we did not have the Sportschannels on my cable. I followed the Checkers, then the Ice as they all folded. I only recently began to watch the NHL again as I worked nights for years. So I had no favorite until now. And I base my favorite on the area I would most like to retire too after studying several spots. So, the Carolina Hurricanes are my club.
p.s. I liked them some as the Whalers also. And I'd like to see Quebec City get another team.

La Vieille Garde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:57 AM
tuozzi

I started following NHL the year Wild entered the league. I thought it was really cool they got a team back in the town and also liked the logo and the colour scheme.

Funny that a lot of people seem to have inherited the fandom from their parents. I started to support my favourite team in Finland when they played in the finals against my dad's team. Just wanted to mess with his head. Guess I'm a horrible son..

tuozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
darglor

vCash: 9337
Toronto sucked, Montreal was ok but always annoyed me how they said "le canadien" instead of "les"... same with "le tricolore" when there's a ton of teams that sport 3 colours...

When the Sens came around, it was a no-brainer.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
elvisisalive

I was putting together 2 fantasy teams thru the sporting news, and gave my daughter this young up and comer named jason Spezza as her center. I thought he was poised for a big year, and was undervalued big time. So when i showed her the team I had put together, and how Spezza was a real steal for her, she started paying attention to him, and became his favorite player. So while Im a Hawks fan, with my daughter, its Ottawa all the way

elvisisalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

I followed the Grateful Dead in the late 80's. Back then everyone camped out in the parking lot of the venue. Was in Pittsburgh, and the noise from the Igloo was too much to resist, I had to see what was going on. Wandered in after the second intermission, no ticket ... and was hooked. April Fools Day, 1989

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote