HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*John Shannon HC "Do not be surprised if Bobby Ryan becomes a Maple Leaf"

Old
07-02-2012, 11:52 AM
number72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Interesting that Carlyle played Ryan more minutes per game than Boudreau has but Carlyle was part of the problem of lack of appreciation.
It is probably a real and valid misunderstanding like the Lupul scenario that can be easily smoothed over by Carlyle eating crow.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:53 AM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelGriffith View Post
Grabo would have to be going back at the min. Grabo 1st 2013 plus plus

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:54 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Just saw it on Sportsnet and I can't believe there hasn't been a thread made about his statement.

He can play center. I am not sure of the price. I assume that some of our D (they really could use some help in that dept.) and maybe someone like Kadri might be involved in the deal.

Could this be our guy at 1C? His name is out there in terms of being on the trade block.

What do you think?
If he could play center why would the Ducks trade him?

He took 69 face-offs all of 2011-2012.

He's a winger, has been since he broke into the NHL 5 years ago.

I do think JVR-Grabovski-Ryan would be a great 2nd. line though.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:57 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko99 View Post
Yeah same here, just saying though

Assuming Kadri+Kulemin+prospect/pick would do it we'd have a deadly top six.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Ryan

I'd say that we'd be fine rolling into next season with that, we were one of the highest scoring teams last season and that just make us more dangerous even without a 1C

D and G are still kind of iffy though
nobody is gonna get fleeced by burke ......likley ever again .hes a lightning rod for future criticism ,if the leafs get anybody good ....they are gonna pay ...97.1 in detroit on their last update says ken holland has an offer on the table for nash .....at best the leafs will make lateral moves ,its the way its gonna be until we totally bottom out ,the way u get elite talent ,is to bottom out. build your foundation ,get a gm who has a clue and go from there
every expert predicted the leafs will not do much and quite frankly ,if im a rival gm i want KESSEL OR GARDINER or i hang up
why the hell would anyone want kadri ?kulemin wants a raise .......just for once .why dont us leafs fans play rival gm and ask ourselves what wed want from burke?

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:58 AM
despotic

I'll be VERY surprised if he becomes a leaf. We dont't need him.

despotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Banic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
So you're suggesting our top 6 is ..

Lupul -- XXXX -- Kessel
Ryan ---Grabovski -- Kulemin

So where does newly acquired JVR making $4.25 mil play ? Unless its Van Riemsdyk that is heading to Anaheim for Ryan as an upgrade.

Friend of mine met Carlye a week ago and was told that JVR would be penciled in for Center as he was only converted once he made the NHL. Mind you that #1 spot may not be where he is supposed to go.

Take it for what it is.

Banic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
nobody is gonna get fleeced by burke ......likley ever again .hes a lightning rod for future criticism ,if the leafs get anybody good ....they are gonna pay ...97.1 in detroit on their last update says ken holland has an offer on the table for nash .....at best the leafs will make lateral moves ,its the way its gonna be until we totally bottom out ,the way u get elite talent ,is to bottom out. build your foundation ,get a gm who has a clue and go from there
every expert predicted the leafs will not do much and quite frankly ,if im a rival gm i want KESSEL OR GARDINER or i hang up
why the hell would anyone want kadri ?kulemin wants a raise .......just for once .why dont us leafs fans play rival gm and ask ourselves what wed want from burke?
He gets too much hate (kadri) around here? Hasn't made an impact since being drafted 3 years ago. Big deal, alot of prospects go through several years before making an impact. Montreal should of threw away Patrioretty after not performing early on his career and didn't make an impact until 23 years old.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:02 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
He gets too much hate (kadri) around here? Hasn't made an impact since being drafted 3 years ago. Big deal, alot of prospects go through several years before making an impact. Montreal should of threw away Patrioretty after not performing early on his career and didn't make an impact until 23 years old.
people are dumb, kadri has taken the right way to develop.... Schenn didnt and look what happened with him, he has to earn his spot. Once Kadri earns his spot and has the feel of entitlement of having that spot he will run with it and it will be special.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:04 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
@ ES

Yeah long term I can see something like

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardner - Blacker/UFA
Finn/Gunnar - Percy/Blacker

Maybe sign a defensive/two way defenseman to pair with Gards

kamosko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko99 View Post
@ ES

Yeah long term I can see something like

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardner - Blacker/UFA
Finn/Gunnar - Percy/Blacker

Maybe sign a defensive/two way defenseman to pair with Gards
woops, I forgot Liles. Not sure if Gardiner, Liles would be the best pairing. Maybe put Gunner up then?

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:08 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
It is probably a real and valid misunderstanding like the Lupul scenario that can be easily smoothed over by Carlyle eating crow.
What misunderstanding between Ryan and Carlyle are you referring to? Something else that you made up?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
shibbiness

Honestly can't see this happening, but I'll add fuel to the fire anyways.

Probably already mentioned but Dregs:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
To trade Bobby Ryan, the Ducks want a few pieces, including a 2nd line center.

Connolly, Bozak and Grabo are all arguably 2nd line centers.

shibbiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
chadw01

Quote:
This.

chadw01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:12 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banic View Post
Friend of mine met Carlye a week ago and was told that JVR would be penciled in for Center as he was only converted once he made the NHL. Mind you that #1 spot may not be where he is supposed to go.

Take it for what it is.
He took 5 face-offs this year (yes only 43 games) but it doesn't even look like he was 2nd. choice on draws.

In 75 games last year he took 3 draws. Zherdev took 7.

If he played center it was at least 4 years ago.

He could always give it a try, especially if Bozak is being traded for Ryan?

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
chadw01

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbiness View Post
Honestly can't see this happening, but I'll add fuel to the fire anyways.

Probably already mentioned but Dregs:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
To trade Bobby Ryan, the Ducks want a few pieces, including a 2nd line center.

Connolly, Bozak and Grabo are all arguably 2nd line centers.
Connolly, yes (when healthy).
Bozak, no (should be a 3C).
Grabo, for sure.

I say Getz before Ryan.

chadw01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:16 PM
shibbiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadw01 View Post
Bozak, no (should be a 3C).
Looks like our first line center this season haha

shibbiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:16 PM
ponder

Bobby Ryan has never shown that he can play C at the NHL level, at all. If he was at all capable of playing C in the NHL, Anaheim would have used him there, they've badly needed C depth for quite awhile now. The ghost of Saku Koivu has been their #2 C, with basically garbage/bandaid solutions at #3 C, if Ryan could play center he'd be firmly entrenched as their #2 C, with Koivu as their #3.

I'd still love to acquire Ryan if the price was right, he'd be an excellent winger for us, but this center talk is nonsense. I wouldn't read too much into John Shannon's comments though, he's just speculating, it's not exactly inside info. Also, as others have noted, Anaheim would almost certainly want a #2 C coming back, and the only good #2 C we have is Grabo, who I can't see us trading. Bozak, Connolly, etc. are poor options as #2 Cs, not the kind of players you're looking for when you trade someone like Ryan. My guess is they could get someone like Schenn or Couturier from Philly, Duchene or Stastny or ROR from Colorado, etc., and we really can't match an offer like that.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Quote:
woops, I forgot Liles. Not sure if Gardiner, Liles would be the best pairing. Maybe put Gunner up then?
Next 2/3 years I could see us going

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Liles - Holzer
Gardner - Percy/Blacker

Then when Liles contract runs out Rielly could jump in.

Rielly - Phanuef
Gardiner - Blacker/Percy
Gunnar/Finn - Holzer

In the next 4+ years imo

kamosko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:19 PM
colchar

Quote:
the way u get elite talent ,is to bottom out. build your foundation ,get a gm who has a clue and go from there

Bottoming out has worked real well for Edmonton hasn't it?

And what do you think Burke is doing right now? He is building the foundation. When he came in the cupboards were bare but they are much better stocked now. It is a process, not an overnight thing, and that process is well under way.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:23 PM
gabeliscious

i think the business of ryan vs carlyle is not nearly as bad as the media makes it seem. im sure he and carlyle can sort things out and ryan would have a fun time playing in toronto. lots of young guys around his age and an up and coming team.

ryan bozak kessel
jvr grabs lupul

^^^^ that would make 4 actual top 6 wingers on any team in the nhl. all of which are in their prime or younger. i can remember that every happening in the past ~30 years.

obviously it would take an absolute fortune to get ryan here but imo it would be worth it.

if they want a 2nd line center then one of connolly or lombardi could go. i know they arent great but they can still play on the 2nd line.

i wonder if something like kulemin, kadri/ colborne, connolly, blacker/ finn would get the conversation going?

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:23 PM
devilishleafs

Im sorry but Connolley is no way a 2C anymore! The guy did have speed and was a good playing up the middle. watching him last year, he was slow and horrible on face-offs. The guy looked sluggish and didnt fit on the 1st line or the 2nd. I do have to say he does great work in front of the net, and on the PK. Is he a guy we need,........NO!!!! We have McClemment and Bozak and Steckl now who can play 3C so Connolley is and needs to be traded away. The writing is in the wall for him and Lombardi.

devilishleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
This is the trade we should of made instead of JVR. Would cost more but were getting a much better player and know what we are getting in Ryan.
Yeah but having both would be awesome-o.

07-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Frankie

Quote:
He gets too much hate (kadri) around here? Hasn't made an impact since being drafted 3 years ago. Big deal, alot of prospects go through several years before making an impact.
the big deal is that he hasn't done anything yet. sure, he may go on to become a good nhl player. but at this point, he doesn't have much trade value.

surely the ducks can get more for bobby ryan than prospects who are bordering on suspects such as kadri and colborne. and a guy coming off a 7-goal season? seriously?

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Crabovski*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
This is the trade we should of made instead of JVR. Would cost more but were getting a much better player and know what we are getting in Ryan.

both isnt realistic, theres only so much water in this well

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:55 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Actually making both deals is the correct course of action.

Alone JVR or Ryan aren't enough to make a difference in overall top6/9 size but combined they are.

Ryan -------- Kessel
JVR Grabovski Lupul

Ryan for Kadri (Young F), Blacker/Percy (Young D), 1st 2013 (High Pick), Komisarek (Salary Dump)
If it were that easy , I think he would already be a Leaf..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote