HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think the Habs need a legit heavyweight enforcer?

Old
07-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Habs13

vCash: 500
The Habs can finally play the "team toughness" mentallity with the guys that were brought in yesterday, so I'm not sure if a heavy is absolutly needed. I wouldn't mind having one and I thought Staubitz should have been kept on as a 13th forward. Hopefully that goes to Blunden now, who isn't much of a fighter. Would have liked Konopka, who is good on face-offs, hits a like stream roller and can play as well as be a nasty beasty! Prust has taken on Lucic before, mind you. Chara is another animal all together; remember the beating he put on Ivanans? If we were able to sign Atryukin, though, I'd be happy. As long as Emelin is ok with that, haha.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

I don't want anyone that doesn't know how to play hockey on this team, so no.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:11 PM
firewagon77*

yes they need heavyweights who can skate and play,and who will take on lucic,parros and chris neil types,like brandon mashinter player with p.k. subban in belleville 34 goals last year in junior his 3 years in ahl 22,14 and 16 goals last year he is 6 foot 3 225 pounds he will take on the heavyweights,another decent player is troy bodie who played with moen and gorges in kelowna,other teams carry heavyweights kings carried westgarth the devils carried janssen and boulton,why to let the skilled players just worry about hockey.

Last edited by firewagon77*: 07-02-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: wrong name
firewagon77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Do you think the Habs need a legit heavyweight enforcer?
Most definitely.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
gusfring

Apparently most teams do, but not us.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Even though it's not a necessity and we can do without , i won't mind if they do bring an HW enforcer who would play in limited role.. Just NOT Laraque. He's possibly the worse choice of all. Good fighter and all but he just doesn't have the right mentality for the job. He used to but that was a loong time ago in his early Oilers days.

You want to bring a HW then you need to a bring a guy that is willing to go dirty and send a message (IE: Carkner dropping Boyle in the playoffs). You want a bit of a nutcase , a guy like Eric Godard for exemple. Not saying it should be Godard himself but a guy in that mold.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Miller Time

no.

Team toughness is far better, especially when it comes by way of guys that can actually play.

Cole
MaxPac
Bourque
Prust
Moen
White
Armstrong

Subban
Gorges
Bouillion
Emelin

about half the roster of guys that going to back down or shy away from sticking up for teammates without automatically getting beat down the way a Pyatt or Spacek would...

that's a nice shift. Could still use a top4 dman that can eat a lot of minutes and be a sledgehammer on the back end, and it never hurts to have a big physical C, but at least our group is now capable of responding to/imposing physical play.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:26 PM
niftymove

We now have Prust with the most fights in NHL last year.

But tbh, I would have like to have a young healthy Laraque like player instead of Noke, but where to find such a beast?

One that almost never loose a fight, keep other teams bigmouths quiet and is able to chip one from time to time?

niftymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
no.

Team toughness is far better, especially when it comes by way of guys that can actually play.

Cole
MaxPac
Bourque
Prust
Moen
White
Armstrong

Subban
Gorges
Bouillion
Emelin

about half the roster of guys that going to back down or shy away from sticking up for teammates without automatically getting beat down the way a Pyatt or Spacek would...

that's a nice shift. Could still use a top4 dman that can eat a lot of minutes and be a sledgehammer on the back end, and it never hurts to have a big physical C, but at least our group is now capable of responding to/imposing physical play.
This, absolutely

I'd rather have a toughness by committee approach rather than just one hired goon that we parade out every time we face the Bruins/Flyers/Leafs. Clearly, with the moves made yesterday and the Moen/Emelin re-signings, Bergevin and company feel the same way.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 135
Who needs a heavyweight when we have Prust? He may not be huge, but he's ****ing insane and will throw down with anyone; Lucic, Chara and Thornton included

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:32 PM
deandebean

Ok, all for it...but who's available?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Monsieur

Since the Laraque fiasco, I really don't care or want any heavyweight goon. There is simply no point and dosen't add anything to the team.

Monsieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Trade for Engelland. Though, I doubt Pittsburgh trades him for anything less than a massive overpayment. He's good enough to play in the NHL and top talent fighting ability.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
I love Prust, Moen, White and Armstrong, but the Habs really need a heavy, or else Thornton and Lucic will continue to do anything they want as they have done since 2007.
You sound like a little girl, toughen up man.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Forsead

Some people are mentionning Lucic, He fought Prust twice in the last 2 seasons : 1 win, 1 lost. I think he will be taken care of.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:31 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

No, no team in the NHL does because they're useless individuals who serve no purpose.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Thornton scored 10 goals. He's useful in playing and useful in beating players up. Staubitz may be a tough player, a great guy and teammate, but he can't play hockey all that well.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

I would've taken Carkner but too late now.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Beendair Donedat

It's funny how quick the non heavyweight crowd is quick to insult those who do want a designated "go to" guy.

Ideally I'd like to get Ryane Clowe. Even a Jimmy Vandeermeer type would be nice though. Can play defense or forward.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Some people are mentionning Lucic, He fought Prust twice in the last 2 seasons : 1 win, 1 lost. I think he will be taken care of.
Prust didn't beat Lucic. The first fight was a draw--the officials broke it up too early. The second fight, just a few months ago, Lucic manhandled Prust.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
This, absolutely

I'd rather have a toughness by committee approach rather than just one hired goon that we parade out every time we face the Bruins/Flyers/Leafs. Clearly, with the moves made yesterday and the Moen/Emelin re-signings, Bergevin and company feel the same way.
Where's the rule stating that you can't have both?

Obviously, from your last sentence, you're not the one who will have to drop 'em with a guy who has 4" and 20 lbs one you.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:14 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
It's funny how quick the non heavyweight crowd is quick to insult those who do want a designated "go to" guy.

Ideally I'd like to get Ryane Clowe. Even a Jimmy Vandeermeer type would be nice though. Can play defense or forward.
You uhh....you realize that when a guy can "play defence or forward"' it is almost always a case where the guy isn't good enough to play defence so they can send him out for some filler minutes on the 4th line if need be right?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:45 PM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Practically no one in the league (except for Chara maybe) can beat Lucic in a fight so there is no point in going there; Prust vs Thornton would be a good fight. Bergevin did a great job getting grit, we just need a talented winger now.

MsChanandlerBong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:52 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
Practically no one in the league (except for Chara maybe) can beat Lucic in a fight so there is no point in going there; Prust vs Thornton would be a good fight. Bergevin did a great job getting grit, we just need a talented winger now.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Noob616

We need skill on this roster.

I can't believe that Habs fans still believe this "small team" garbage that the media lemmings preach. Cole, Pacioretty, Bourque, Eller, Armstrong, Prust, White, Moen, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, they're all big guys. Plekanec, Gionta, and Boullion don't "play small" either. The myth that the Canadiens are a small team that can be pushed around simply isn't true. Total team toughness is the important thing, and our forward group is definitely tough enough. We don't need to throw stupid money and waste a spot on a goon to play 8-12 games against Philadelphia and Boston.

Potentially add Jagr to the 2nd line and we've really only got 2 small forwards, one of whom (Gionta) doesn't seem to let that affect his play.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote