HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency II (Joey Crabb's Playground)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2012, 01:34 PM
  #76
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,863
vCash: 500
Barring a surprise offer for Parise that catches every rumor monger napping, Washington is probably going to replace Semin's roster spot with fewer regular-season goals. A vigorous pursuit of Parise was never the team's plan.

The question is whether you can offset that dip in regular-season production with a player more willing to engage consistently in the playoffs than Semin. Can you find a player who won't take stretches off at critical junctures in May? This is ultimately why McPhee has not tried to retain his services.

Even with a probable bump in the production of the likely top-six wingers, after adding a second scoring center to the stable, the Caps need to replace Semin's production via trade or free agency. I'm more interested in the playoff pedigree of the player(s) inbound. Clearly, players like Doan or Ryan fit the bill, but their teams may not trade them. If they do, competition will be fierce. McPhee has work to do.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
  #77
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
We were never "in".
Well now we're officially out.

Carlzner is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
  #78
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Because his list of recent centers has been Johansson, Laich, Morrison, Flash.....

We got Ribeiro, in case you forgot.
When you're paid as one of the top 25 players in the league yhe****ing focus should be on how much you're improving the players around you, not how badly you need other $7 million players to play with.

Where did this nonsense start?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
  #79
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,120
vCash: 500
I am, and have always been, much more concerned about he 1LD situation than the second line wing situation.

That's the spot, especially with the 2C filled, where the Caps can make the biggest gains, IMO.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
  #80
pman25
Registered User
 
pman25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 926
vCash: 500
seriously, everyone is waiting for these guys to sign. Then the dominos begin to fall. Hopefully. Hell, I don't know. I just wanna see some damn signings, I don't even care if the caps are involved!

pman25 is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
  #81
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
On Twitter, almost all reports saying Parise is down to NJ, MIN, PIT, and CHI.

Well, looks like we're out... And we have a **** ton of cap space with nobody to spend it on.
Just don't want the Pens to get him to be honest.....never thought we had a chance!

It's time for McPhee to pull the trigger on big trade......the Caps need Bobby Ryan !

sunnydaycrash is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
  #82
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,120
vCash: 500
I just wan the Caps to make a signing of consequence today. Ideally, it would be Suter. But any top-4 d or top-6 F would do.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
  #83
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I'm worried about what you type because it's all misdirection. I'm not sure if you fully realize that it is or not, but if you do, you're good at it, and it has a very negative effect on actual discussions.
Misdirection.....Hilarious. What's negative is you constantly harassing other posters with this crap. Debate the topic kid, not your personal agenda.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
  #84
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Barring a surprise offer for Parise that catches every rumor monger napping, Washington is probably going to replace Semin's roster spot with fewer regular-season goals. A vigorous pursuit of Parise was never the team's plan.

The question is whether you can offset that dip in regular-season production with a player more willing to engage consistently in the playoffs than Semin. Can you find a player who won't take stretches off at critical junctures in May? This is ultimately why McPhee has not tried to retain his services.
Semin was at a PPG in 2 of his 5 playoff runs.

Remove this dog ass of a playoff where we scored what....5 goals in 14 games? And the guy is at 30 pts in 37 playoff games.

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
  #85
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I am, and have always been, much more concerned about he 1LD situation than the second line wing situation.

That's the spot, especially with the 2C filled, where the Caps can make the biggest gains, IMO.
In these past playoffs, do you think Offense or Defense was the problem?

... Our defense was fine, and Orlov will be even better.

Carlzner is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
  #86
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The question is whether you can offset that dip in regular-season production with a player more willing to engage consistently in the playoffs than Semin.




Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
  #87
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
On Twitter, almost all reports saying Parise is down to NJ, MIN, PIT, and CHI.

Well, looks like we're out... And we have a **** ton of cap space with nobody to spend it on.
How anyone can be surprised at this, is beyone me.

All of the "We could sign Parise/Suter" humps must be musing now (I'm talking directly to a few of you on here).

The problem as we see it, is that the Caps have missed the boat on the lower tier players, while many on here were "Keep hope ALIVE for Parise!!!". Yeah, right....that ship was never sailing, and other players have moved on.

GMGM sucks this year. Prove me wrong, George.

Oh, and For the love of GOD, do NOT have Parise sign in ****tsburgh. Help us all.

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
  #88
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I am, and have always been, much more concerned about he 1LD situation than the second line wing situation.

That's the spot, especially with the 2C filled, where the Caps can make the biggest gains, IMO.
Perhaps it's feasible, but I don't think there is any indication that the Capitals are actually trying to land a first-pairing defenseman. I see their appetites in the range of a #3 or #4 myself, else a cheap #5.

Drake1588 is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
  #89
amjay13
Registered User
 
amjay13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,590
vCash: 500
I'd do all I can to get Ryan, he's a perfect fit.

Regarding the earlier 3 for 1 Ryan proposal, that is way too much. MoJo in his prime won't be Ryan but the difference between him and Ryan is not Kuz AND Orlov. I'd probably trade MoJo and Kuz for Ryan, only due to the Kuz uncertainty factor. I'd have a hard time doing MoJo and Orlov for Ryan but if we're in September and the Caps still need a winger, I'd think long and hard about it.

amjay13 is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
  #90
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
When you're paid as one of the top 25 players in the league yhe****ing focus should be on how much you're improving the players around you, not how badly you need other $7 million players to play with.

Where did this nonsense start?
Semin isn't the type of player that does that though... And he's available for free right now.
He would benefit off Ribeiro in this coming year... That's ALL that matters.

Carlzner is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
  #91
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
How anyone can be surprised at this, is beyone me.

All of the "We could sign Parise/Suter" humps must be musing now (I'm talking directly to a few of you on here).

The problem as we see it, is that the Caps have missed the boat on the lower tier players, while many on here were "Keep hope ALIVE for Parise!!!". Yeah, right....that ship was never sailing, and other players have moved on.

GMGM sucks this year. Prove me wrong, George.

Oh, and For the love of GOD, do NOT have Parise sign in ****tsburgh. Help us all.
Well we have a **** ton of cap space, so I was holding on to some hope.

Carlzner is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
  #92
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
It doesn't even make sense to debate 28 anymore. Everybody agrees (I think) that the Caps' biggest mistake is failing to get assets for him. But at this point, re: his return, we're now Democrats and Republicans -- pointlessly talking right past each other, lol.
Let's be real, the SDF is the one who keeps this topic alive every day clamoring for some miracle last minute Semin signing that JUST ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

You're right in with your post though....poor asset management to let him walk for nothing, which leads me to believe the trade offers were so pathetic that the Caps felt it was worth more to use him for one more playoff run and let him walk.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
  #93
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Misdirection.....Hilarious. What's negative is you constantly harassing other posters with this crap. Debate the topic kid, not your personal agenda.
Mods, is there any chance we can get an irony.gif added to the emoticons?

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
  #94
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Let's be real, the SDF is the one who keeps this topic alive every day clamoring for some miracle last minute Semin signing that JUST ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

You're right in with your post though....poor asset management to let him walk for nothing, which leads me to believe the trade offers were so pathetic that the Caps felt it was worth more to use him for one more playoff run and let him walk.
Nobody is in the SDF.

He's just the best option right now, since we won't get Parise.

Carlzner is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
  #95
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post



Needs moar grinder.

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
  #96
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Semin isn't the type of player that does that though... And he's available for free right now.
He would benefit off Ribeiro in this coming year... That's ALL that matters.
So if he needs to play with a star to produce, he should sign a contract like Parenteau, who has the same rub on him.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
  #97
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
So if he needs to play with a star to produce, he should sign a contract like Parenteau, who has the same rub on him.
Ribeiro isn't a star, and Semin is one of the most talented players in the world.. Parenteau is not.

Carlzner is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
  #98
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Needs moar grinder.
His puck-protection technique is clearly Russian-inflected. He needs to use a more Canadian method, honestly.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
  #99
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post



Obviously you're missing the point.

He's European, so he must be soft and one dimensional!

Carlzner is offline  
Old
07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
  #100
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,863
vCash: 500
At $70M, you have to wonder when the Capitals are operating under a budget and not the cap.

In any event, I don't think it's the cap but the structure that is bringing the large-/small-market clubs into the forefront again, as we head into another CBA negotiation. Top players are going to get a $14M signing bonus, another $14M next July 1st, then whatever term is left over the length of their mega deals.

That's a huge chunk of change up front. Leonsis doesn't talk about finances much, but that kind of expenditure might not be kosher.

I don't think the ultra-long deals or the massive front-loading of contracts will survive into the next CBA.

Drake1588 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.