HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency II (Joey Crabb's Playground)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
Barring a surprise offer for Parise that catches every rumor monger napping, Washington is probably going to replace Semin's roster spot with fewer regular-season goals. A vigorous pursuit of Parise was never the team's plan.

The question is whether you can offset that dip in regular-season production with a player more willing to engage consistently in the playoffs than Semin. Can you find a player who won't take stretches off at critical junctures in May? This is ultimately why McPhee has not tried to retain his services.

Even with a probable bump in the production of the likely top-six wingers, after adding a second scoring center to the stable, the Caps need to replace Semin's production via trade or free agency. I'm more interested in the playoff pedigree of the player(s) inbound. Clearly, players like Doan or Ryan fit the bill, but their teams may not trade them. If they do, competition will be fierce. McPhee has work to do.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
We were never "in".
Well now we're officially out.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Because his list of recent centers has been Johansson, Laich, Morrison, Flash.....

We got Ribeiro, in case you forgot.
When you're paid as one of the top 25 players in the league yhe****ing focus should be on how much you're improving the players around you, not how badly you need other $7 million players to play with.

Where did this nonsense start?

Old
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I am, and have always been, much more concerned about he 1LD situation than the second line wing situation.

That's the spot, especially with the 2C filled, where the Caps can make the biggest gains, IMO.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
pman25

seriously, everyone is waiting for these guys to sign. Then the dominos begin to fall. Hopefully. Hell, I don't know. I just wanna see some damn signings, I don't even care if the caps are involved!

Old
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
On Twitter, almost all reports saying Parise is down to NJ, MIN, PIT, and CHI.

Well, looks like we're out... And we have a **** ton of cap space with nobody to spend it on.
Just don't want the Pens to get him to be honest.....never thought we had a chance!

It's time for McPhee to pull the trigger on big trade......the Caps need Bobby Ryan !

Old
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I just wan the Caps to make a signing of consequence today. Ideally, it would be Suter. But any top-4 d or top-6 F would do.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I'm worried about what you type because it's all misdirection. I'm not sure if you fully realize that it is or not, but if you do, you're good at it, and it has a very negative effect on actual discussions.
Misdirection.....Hilarious. What's negative is you constantly harassing other posters with this crap. Debate the topic kid, not your personal agenda.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Barring a surprise offer for Parise that catches every rumor monger napping, Washington is probably going to replace Semin's roster spot with fewer regular-season goals. A vigorous pursuit of Parise was never the team's plan.

The question is whether you can offset that dip in regular-season production with a player more willing to engage consistently in the playoffs than Semin. Can you find a player who won't take stretches off at critical junctures in May? This is ultimately why McPhee has not tried to retain his services.
Semin was at a PPG in 2 of his 5 playoff runs.

Remove this dog ass of a playoff where we scored what....5 goals in 14 games? And the guy is at 30 pts in 37 playoff games.

Old
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I am, and have always been, much more concerned about he 1LD situation than the second line wing situation.

That's the spot, especially with the 2C filled, where the Caps can make the biggest gains, IMO.
In these past playoffs, do you think Offense or Defense was the problem?

... Our defense was fine, and Orlov will be even better.

Old
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The question is whether you can offset that dip in regular-season production with a player more willing to engage consistently in the playoffs than Semin.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
On Twitter, almost all reports saying Parise is down to NJ, MIN, PIT, and CHI.

Well, looks like we're out... And we have a **** ton of cap space with nobody to spend it on.
How anyone can be surprised at this, is beyone me.

All of the "We could sign Parise/Suter" humps must be musing now (I'm talking directly to a few of you on here).

The problem as we see it, is that the Caps have missed the boat on the lower tier players, while many on here were "Keep hope ALIVE for Parise!!!". Yeah, right....that ship was never sailing, and other players have moved on.

GMGM sucks this year. Prove me wrong, George.

Oh, and For the love of GOD, do NOT have Parise sign in ****tsburgh. Help us all.

Old
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Perhaps it's feasible, but I don't think there is any indication that the Capitals are actually trying to land a first-pairing defenseman. I see their appetites in the range of a #3 or #4 myself, else a cheap #5.

Old
amjay13

I'd do all I can to get Ryan, he's a perfect fit.

Regarding the earlier 3 for 1 Ryan proposal, that is way too much. MoJo in his prime won't be Ryan but the difference between him and Ryan is not Kuz AND Orlov. I'd probably trade MoJo and Kuz for Ryan, only due to the Kuz uncertainty factor. I'd have a hard time doing MoJo and Orlov for Ryan but if we're in September and the Caps still need a winger, I'd think long and hard about it.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
When you're paid as one of the top 25 players in the league yhe****ing focus should be on how much you're improving the players around you, not how badly you need other $7 million players to play with.

Where did this nonsense start?
Semin isn't the type of player that does that though... And he's available for free right now.
He would benefit off Ribeiro in this coming year... That's ALL that matters.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
How anyone can be surprised at this, is beyone me.

All of the "We could sign Parise/Suter" humps must be musing now (I'm talking directly to a few of you on here).

The problem as we see it, is that the Caps have missed the boat on the lower tier players, while many on here were "Keep hope ALIVE for Parise!!!". Yeah, right....that ship was never sailing, and other players have moved on.

GMGM sucks this year. Prove me wrong, George.

Oh, and For the love of GOD, do NOT have Parise sign in ****tsburgh. Help us all.
Well we have a **** ton of cap space, so I was holding on to some hope.

Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
It doesn't even make sense to debate 28 anymore. Everybody agrees (I think) that the Caps' biggest mistake is failing to get assets for him. But at this point, re: his return, we're now Democrats and Republicans -- pointlessly talking right past each other, lol.
Let's be real, the SDF is the one who keeps this topic alive every day clamoring for some miracle last minute Semin signing that JUST ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

You're right in with your post though....poor asset management to let him walk for nothing, which leads me to believe the trade offers were so pathetic that the Caps felt it was worth more to use him for one more playoff run and let him walk.

Old
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Misdirection.....Hilarious. What's negative is you constantly harassing other posters with this crap. Debate the topic kid, not your personal agenda.
Mods, is there any chance we can get an irony.gif added to the emoticons?

Old
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Let's be real, the SDF is the one who keeps this topic alive every day clamoring for some miracle last minute Semin signing that JUST ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

You're right in with your post though....poor asset management to let him walk for nothing, which leads me to believe the trade offers were so pathetic that the Caps felt it was worth more to use him for one more playoff run and let him walk.
Nobody is in the SDF.

He's just the best option right now, since we won't get Parise.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:

Needs moar grinder.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Semin isn't the type of player that does that though... And he's available for free right now.
He would benefit off Ribeiro in this coming year... That's ALL that matters.
So if he needs to play with a star to produce, he should sign a contract like Parenteau, who has the same rub on him.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
So if he needs to play with a star to produce, he should sign a contract like Parenteau, who has the same rub on him.
Ribeiro isn't a star, and Semin is one of the most talented players in the world.. Parenteau is not.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Needs moar grinder.
His puck-protection technique is clearly Russian-inflected. He needs to use a more Canadian method, honestly.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Carlzner

Quote:

Obviously you're missing the point.

He's European, so he must be soft and one dimensional!

Old
07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

At $70M, you have to wonder when the Capitals are operating under a budget and not the cap.

In any event, I don't think it's the cap but the structure that is bringing the large-/small-market clubs into the forefront again, as we head into another CBA negotiation. Top players are going to get a $14M signing bonus, another $14M next July 1st, then whatever term is left over the length of their mega deals.

That's a huge chunk of change up front. Leonsis doesn't talk about finances much, but that kind of expenditure might not be kosher.

I don't think the ultra-long deals or the massive front-loading of contracts will survive into the next CBA.

Closed Thread