HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Michael Haley (2 years @ 600K per, first year is two way)

Old
07-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Yeah Haley is a pretty good signing for the 4th line or so. Dude can play

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:47 AM
NYR Viper

I still remember the Jokinen trade with Calgary. I went on record saying Prust was going to be the best piece for the Rangers in that deal. Olli was alright. Prust stayed and became a fan favorite. This guy plays with an edge and aggressiveness that this team lacks.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:52 AM
we want the cup 94

WOW our 4th line is going to be goon city lol! No one will be ****ing with a Ranger this year . Asham i like cause he is a team first guy . He will do what he needs to do to stick up for someone . Haley seems the same way and is Younger ... Should be interesting .. Cant wait for Oct cant wait for the gloves to drop and the season to get under way . I miss Rangers Hockey !!!!

we want the cup 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:19 PM
haveandare

Seems fairly obvious that they're going to roll the dice on turning this guy into another Prust. A fringe NHLer who is tough as nails, willing to do whatever it takes, and felt like he was getting shafted by his old team... sounds exactly like Prust when he came here.

I'm not saying that it'll be a success, but I think it's a smart move to make for such little money. Let's see what Torts can do with this guy.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:45 PM
GamerZX101

So what happens to Boyle now, 3rd line?

Going into the season (w/o Gaborik):

Hagelin-Richards-??? (Nash/Ryan/FA)
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Boyle?-Anisimov?
Haley-Rupp-Asham

I'd really like to see us move Rupp somehow.

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerZX101 View Post
So what happens to Boyle now, 3rd line?

Going into the season (w/o Gaborik):

Hagelin-Richards-??? (Nash/Ryan/FA)
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Dubinsky-Boyle?-Anisimov?
Haley-Rupp-Asham

I'd really like to see us move Rupp somehow.
Rupp will have an awesome seat in the press box

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:11 PM
GamerZX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Rupp will have an awesome seat in the press box
Ok, I agree, but then we'd need to still add two top-6 forwards, and it seems like Sather doesn't want to do anything this offseason.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:15 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerZX101 View Post
Ok, I agree, but then we'd need to still add two top-6 forwards, and it seems like Sather doesn't want to do anything this offseason.
Please, that's just a silly comment. What would you have had him do thus far...in the whopping 26 hours of the offseason that's passed?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:27 PM
RichieCallyGabby

I grew up on Long Island (as a Rangers fan my entire life) and almost half of my friends are Islander fans, they LOVED this kid. I would love to see him turn into a prust, or even a poor-mans prust.

RichieCallyGabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
GamerZX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Please, that's just a silly comment. What would you have had him do thus far...in the whopping 26 hours of the offseason that's passed?
Well first of all, I would have went with Konopka, Glass, or Tootoo over Asham. Konopka would have been perfect. But that's really not a huge deal, and I like what's being said about Haley. Isles fans seemed to love him.

Whitney would have been a great signing at $4.5 per over 2 years. For 1 year at $1.8, Ponikarovsky would have been a steal and a good middle-six forward.

The guy who could really help this team though would be Jagr. He'd help solve some of our power play problems and would help provide some offense with Gaborik out for a while.

I'd also kick the tires on Semin, especially if nothing is happening regarding Nash.

We also desperately need a righty defenseman, and two of them if we plan on letting Stralman go.

Last edited by GamerZX101: 07-02-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old
07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Tundra

I'm surprised the Islanders punted on Haley, which I suspect was an issue with his size. But nevertheless, he does remind me of a young Sean Avery without all the off ice baggage. Haley actually possesses a semblance of an offensive game and is really tough to boot.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
I'm surprised the Islanders punted on Haley, which I suspect was an issue with his size. But nevertheless, he does remind me of a young Sean Avery without all the off ice baggage. Haley actually possesses a semblance of an offensive game and is really tough to boot.
I hate to say this but you guys will love Haley. One negative he has going against him is that when I watched him in the NHL he always seemed like a step or two behind the play. He'll have spurts where you guys will be like "what the **** was that" and pull off a nice play but it seemed kind of far and few between.

He will beat down any middleweight in the league though(convincingly) but if he goes out of his weight class he has some issues.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I am actually warming up to this signing. I think he can replace Prust.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

You don't simply swap parts, Haley isn't a 1:1 replacement for Prust. Asham fits the role of a fourth-liner better than Prust, and he is paid accordingly. Prust stepped up a lot when the Rangers roster wasn't nearly as deep two years ago, but with Hagelin and Kreider coming in and being top-nine players if not top six, and another top-six player likely coming in via trade/FA, Prust would still be getting bumped down to the fourth line.

Penalty killing pairs shouldn't be a problem. Dubinsky and Callahan will stay together, Boyle and Anisimov can be paired together or split up for faceoffs, and Fedotenko will likely be coming back as a PK-capable winger. The sixth player on the PK depends on who is on the top offensive line - Hagelin was good as well as being an offensive threat while shorthanded, but he also played on the top line with Richards and Gaborik, so Torts put him out there right after the PK. If Kreider plays on that top line, Hagelin may PK more, otherwise Stepan is likely.

Haley is going to be a depth guy, and he's a hell of a lot better than considering calling up Kris Newbury.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Wolfpack21

How much per year?

Wolfpack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:35 PM
iceman9999

haley fights

Lets not forget once again the east is biuilding tuff.. W now ave Bickle, rupp, asham, haley.. Out of all these guys haley is by far the best, quickest, youngest....

Lets not forget he kicked beat on Bickel..

bickle & haley
http://youtu.be/mmT1ZHsUC6M

janssen & haley
http://youtu.be/CSA4GYm02vE

iceman9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:48 PM
iceman9999

Konopka does nothing for a team and his fights always end with a draw!.. Tanner glass has not won a fight since they invented swiss cheese look at his results below.. We need someone with energy and Haley brings that energy..

tanner glass fight card
http://www.hockey-fights.com/fightlog/player.php?id=917

iceman9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Islanderfan17

Really pissed off he signed with you guys, he's a ****ing crazy fighter (like literally, look at his face when he is fighting) and could probably be a decent 4th line player if given the chance to play full time.

With that being said, I wish him no luck for the next 2 years

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Haley actually has the potential to be a Prust-like player under Torts.
I concur. There is some additional talent here if a coach can get him to tap into it.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:58 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Haley-Rupp-Asham will be interchangeable throughout the year for who sits outs of the 3 on any given night. On most nights it will be between asham and haley.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:11 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want the cup 94 View Post
WOW our 4th line is going to be goon city lol! No one will be ****ing with a Ranger this year . Asham i like cause he is a team first guy . He will do what he needs to do to stick up for someone . Haley seems the same way and is Younger ... Should be interesting .. Cant wait for Oct cant wait for the gloves to drop and the season to get under way . I miss Rangers Hockey !!!!

No one ****ed with Rangers this year. Philly tried but we took it right to them. For the foreseeable future gone are the days of Rangers getting bullied.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers gave Haley 2 years/$1.2M. First year is a two way deal. $300,000 AHL which exceeds the $105,000 threshold for re-entry waivers. That could change in the next CBA.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1215

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Parker

Heard someone refer to Haley as the pound-for-pound toughest guy in the NHL. If he can add anything on top of that I think we'll end up loving this guy. Welcome aboard!

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:22 AM
eco's bones

His contract terms tells you that the Rangers are very serious about him. Even though a two way $300 K is a really high amount for the AHL end for a 26 year old.

IMO he was a guy we should have targeted. Undrafted--fought his way up from the ECHL--has gradually improved his numbers year to year. His NHL stints while not overly productive in putting up points have been interesting to say the least. There are similarities to his story comparable to guys like Prust, Konopka. Very blue collar. They've done it the hard way.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Really pissed off he signed with you guys, he's a ****ing crazy fighter (like literally, look at his face when he is fighting) and could probably be a decent 4th line player if given the chance to play full time.

With that being said, I wish him no luck for the next 2 years
I can understand. Put in a lot of work and development and an arch rival picks him up just as he might be on the verge of making it. Another Isles poster though mentioned how he was undeservingly sent down to make room for Reasoner and Pandolfo last year. I don't know the truth about that but if true you can certainly understand his wanting out.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote