HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
You should be talking about Luongo.
I think I mentioned Luongo a few pages back. Not a fan, I would not have him on team if Hockey Canada has options, i.e. Price finally looks like the goalie most people, so called expects, believe him to be. I have no confidence in Luongo.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Hey is anyone from here actually going to Sochi for the Olympics? It'd be wicked if a bunch of people meet up there because i'm sure there'll be plenty and plenty of Canadians going!
Thinking about it. We'd love to see a few Canadian games but we'll see what the tickets cost. I expect a small fortune.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
habsrule4eva3089

Marty signed a 2 year deal...He wants to end his career with one more opportunity, It's been said he definitely took it personally not being in nets for the Gold medal game...seems like he has one more chance. Does Martin Brodeur start for Team Canada come Sochi!? My take is, as of right now, there's no doubt he's the best goaltender to select from...will that be the case in 20 months...who knows.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:57 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Marty signed a 2 year deal...He wants to end his career with one more opportunity, It's been said he definitely took it personally not being in nets for the Gold medal game...seems like he has one more chance. Does Martin Brodeur start for Team Canada come Sochi!? My take is, as of right now, there's no doubt he's the best goaltender to select from...will that be the case in 20 months...who knows.
Carey Price says "Hai".

Old
07-02-2012, 10:59 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I think I mentioned Luongo a few pages back. Not a fan, I would not have him on team if Hockey Canada has options, i.e. Price finally looks like the goalie most people, so called expects, believe him to be. I have no confidence in Luongo.
Ftw.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Mehar

Brodeur was fantastic in the playoffs. If he plays great next year and the first part of the 2012-2013 season, he will be there in Sochi. I can forsee Brodeur, Luongo and one of Holtby/Price/Smith as the goalies. Not sold on Cam Ward or Fleury.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:04 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Brodeur was fantastic in the playoffs. If he plays great next year and the first part of the 2012-2013 season, he will be there in Sochi. I can forsee Brodeur, Luongo and one of Holtby/Price/Smith as the goalies. Not sold on Cam Ward or Fleury.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:58 PM
therealdeal

If Brodeur is our best option in 2014, I'm gonna have low hopes for a medal.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:27 AM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
If Marty is our best option it speaks volumes of how dedicated and how able he is to perform at the highest of levels even when his age is considered ''old''. He has performed at a superior level then the other goaltenders we always discuss even with his so called ''old age''. It's a 2 week tournament in which age plays no part like it would during an NHL season. With his ability to read plays, have a hybrid style of goaltending where he's not always performing the butterly and especially his ability to play the puck, he brings a collective set of skills no other goaltender can bring. At the end of the 2012 season Marty is the best option, but like I said there's 17 months or so left and if he's still the best option when the team is announced no one should think the thoughts you've just mentioned, it would be a epic farewell for him and for us to witness the greatest goaltender we'll ever see end his international career battling for Gold in this 5th Olympic Games.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:38 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Please don't even joke about something like that.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:24 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
If Marty is our best option it speaks volumes of how dedicated and how able he is to perform at the highest of levels even when his age is considered ''old''. He has performed at a superior level then the other goaltenders we always discuss even with his so called ''old age''. It's a 2 week tournament in which age plays no part like it would during an NHL season. With his ability to read plays, have a hybrid style of goaltending where he's not always performing the butterly and especially his ability to play the puck, he brings a collective set of skills no other goaltender can bring. At the end of the 2012 season Marty is the best option, but like I said there's 17 months or so left and if he's still the best option when the team is announced no one should think the thoughts you've just mentioned, it would be a epic farewell for him and for us to witness the greatest goaltender we'll ever see end his international career battling for Gold in this 5th Olympic Games.
that would be patrick roy.

therealdeal is correct, if brodeur is our best option then we should have fun watching the prelim rounds b/c we won't be spending time watching the medal rounds...that's for damn sure. all i can say is price better be ready. after him? i'd take luongo before i took fleury.

in any event...i'll say what i've said before...we better hope our "dream team" of forwards manages to score, like, a gagillion goals a game...because otherwise it's going to be -->

i've made the decision to be positive...but i've had a vision - and that vision is 2014 team canada GDTs where is used frequently.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Malkinbest

Whoever is in net the Canadian teams goaltending will be a joke compared to the U.S.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinbest View Post
Whoever is in net the Canadian teams goaltending will be a joke compared to the U.S.
That is true. Quick, Miller and Schneider are a scary trio. However, Canada got it done with a shaky Loungo in 2010, and has a very good chance to get back to the gold medal game again. Thanks to Getzlaf's penalty that cost us a loss in the QF of this year's WHC, Canada is in the easiest of the three pools. We will likely get the top seed, an 8th place team in the QF, a 4/5 matchup in the Semis, and the toughest test in the final. However, it will be a harder journey this time around. Hopefully they can pull it off.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:15 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinbest View Post
Quote:
That is true. Quick, Miller and Schneider are a scary trio. However, Canada got it done with a shaky Loungo in 2010, and has a very good chance to get back to the gold medal game again. Thanks to Getzlaf's penalty that cost us a loss in the QF of this year's WHC, Canada is in the easiest of the three pools. We will likely get the top seed, an 8th place team in the QF, a 4/5 matchup in the Semis, and the toughest test in the final. However, it will be a harder journey this time around. Hopefully they can pull it off.
This, of course, is what worries all of us. This team has a chance to be one of the greats EVER assembled. Up front, so deep and talented it is SCARY. On D, a top 6 all countries would envy. In net...

Well, let's be grateful the Americans can only play one at a time.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:42 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
I think it's obvious that we will not win w/ goal tending...that's for sure. however, we don't need brilliance...we need someone solid, aware, and who won't let in weak goals. i would love to see price ready...but i'm not as negative about luongo as others and fleury can't be ignored. let's not freak about goaltending. it is what it is.

what we can take confidence in is the fact we have huge offense...i have to say that imo we will have the best collection of forwards there...ainec. we will have to be very careful about the lines we put out - and make sure that on each line there is someone who is very good at skating. also, it will be important that the forwards we have are able to work together - it will be of no assistance to us if our lines are clogged with a bunch of uber elite puck hogs...or forwards who can only play with the expectation that their linemates will focus on nothing else but passing to them. leaving aside the goalie situation, i think a failure to establish chemistry amongst our forwards could be just as devastating.

we also have very solid defence...one that can certainly stand up against any other country. but again, everyone needs to be on their best behaviour...even if we get a bunch of D-Men who are top pairing on their own team...they can't all be top pairing on team canada.

it will not be easy for us...but Van was not easy for us, either...and even though it lasted until OT we still did it.

there is nothing about Sochi that should make us feel arrogant...in fact, it's quite the opposite - we will be in it tough...but there's also no team that is unbeatable for us and i think that we have to be one of the favourites for sure.

...of course we will hear endlessly about why we can't win...but if we *do* win it will be the 3rd time in 4 olympic games and no one should forget that!

Old
07-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I think it's obvious that we will not win w/ goal tending...that's for sure. however, we don't need brilliance...we need someone solid, aware, and who won't let in weak goals. i would love to see price ready...but i'm not as negative about luongo as others and fleury can't be ignored. let's not freak about goaltending. it is what it is.

what we can take confidence in is the fact we have huge offense...i have to say that imo we will have the best collection of forwards there...ainec. we will have to be very careful about the lines we put out - and make sure that on each line there is someone who is very good at skating. also, it will be important that the forwards we have are able to work together - it will be of no assistance to us if our lines are clogged with a bunch of uber elite puck hogs...or forwards who can only play with the expectation that their linemates will focus on nothing else but passing to them. leaving aside the goalie situation, i think a failure to establish chemistry amongst our forwards could be just as devastating.

we also have very solid defence...one that can certainly stand up against any other country. but again, everyone needs to be on their best behaviour...even if we get a bunch of D-Men who are top pairing on their own team...they can't all be top pairing on team canada.

it will not be easy for us...but Van was not easy for us, either...and even though it lasted until OT we still did it.

there is nothing about Sochi that should make us feel arrogant...in fact, it's quite the opposite - we will be in it tough...but there's also no team that is unbeatable for us and i think that we have to be one of the favourites for sure.

...of course we will hear endlessly about why we can't win...but if we *do* win it will be the 3rd time in 4 olympic games and no one should forget that!

I've been saying for a while now, Canad, USA-Sweden and Russia all have to be considered real bets to win gold. 1 of those teams will be without a medal when it's all said and done.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Dats13DET

Quote:
That is true. Quick, Miller and Schneider are a scary trio.
I'm sure good ol' Timmy Thomas will have something to say about that.

I'd be shocked If he comes back next year and plays half decent.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats13DET View Post
I'm sure good ol' Timmy Thomas will have something to say about that.

I'd be shocked If he comes back next year and plays half decent.
Thomas is irrelevant for Sochi. Quick will be the starter and handling most of the duties with Miller and Schneider fighting to see who is number 2. Thomas will probably sulk being the number three guy anyways, so team USA does not need that distraction. Hopefully Luongo gets his act together before Sochi, so Canada does not have to worry about their situation as much.

Old
07-16-2012, 03:45 AM
Dats13DET

Quote:
Thomas is irrelevant for Sochi. Quick will be the starter and handling most of the duties with Miller and Schneider fighting to see who is number 2. Thomas will probably sulk being the number three guy anyways, so team USA does not need that distraction. Hopefully Luongo gets his act together before Sochi, so Canada does not have to worry about their situation as much.
Exactly. Only thing is Luongo will not get his act together playing for some of the dustiest teams in the league. Florida is seeming very likely although all those Leaf fans will have you believe otherwise.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:32 PM
DyerMaker66

Price
Fleury
Subban

Old
07-17-2012, 03:14 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I've been saying for a while now, Canad, USA-Sweden and Russia all have to be considered real bets to win gold. 1 of those teams will be without a medal when it's all said and done.
yes...but do not forget finland, do not forget czech republic...don't forget about torino - so don't forget slovakia and switzerland.

it's essential that whoever picks the team is very responsible and focussed on picking the team that is most likely to win the gold in a "here and now" sense. i don't want any "you've given great service to Hockey Canada so we'll include you on the team". That might seem obvious...but let's not forget the stench of Torino.

Hockey Canada needs to put together a team that's most likely to win gold in 2014...not an all-star team or a legends game.

We can debate goalies - but i think we have to admit that we will not have the strongest goal in the competition, that's for sure. if nothing else, we should prefer those who are least likely to let in soft goals. Honesty and self-awareness are key.

also, i suspect we'll end up with an offensive "dream team" - i've said it before but those players are going to have to work together - which i think sounds more obvious that the reality might be. we will, by far, have collectively the most elite offense in the games...but one thing that leaves me a bit worried is that some of our most high end "guaranteed" players are used to having the rest of their line cater to them offensively...and that won't work altogether.

Defensively - we'll be more than fine.

I'm hopeful and positive about Sochi...we have enough depth in Canada to put together a team that not only can win it but will have the skill level to dominate it. Good vibes, good vibes - let's make it a repeat.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:27 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux (a no brainer)
Skinner - Tavares - Seguin (chemistry)
Hall - RNH - Eberle (Hall scores, RNH passes and Eberle is the powerforward)
Benn - Toews - Neal (just a great checkingunit)

Keith-Weber
Letang-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Seabrook

Old
07-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Dats13DET

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post

Keith-Weber
Letang-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Seabrook
I see where your coming from but I don't know If we should be ready to put Neal up there. This past season he had 40 goals yes but a large part of that is due to being on the same line with Hart trophey winner Evgeni Malkin. Before playing with Malkin, He was an average 20 goal scorer. He wasn't a factor when the Pens fell to Tampa in 7 either.(2 points in 7 games) If anything, Rick Nash should get the go before Neal. He can hit so it fits your description of "checking unit" He puts up numbers while playing with dust. Tell me this, Who's a good centre on the Blue Jackets? Nobody. Plus, Rick Nash was solid for us at the Last Olympics. ( 3 G, 2A, 5 points in 7 games) It's good to go with a prooven player before a questionable one.

Eric Staal, Perry and Spezza might also have a spot on the team.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:13 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post

Keith-Weber
Letang-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Seabrook
why do you think that Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux is a "no brainer" of a line? I think Stamkos/Crosby would be a horrible combination...you've got a pure goal scorer with a guy who loves nothing more than hogging the puck (and comes close to "generational" ability in doing so).

- you can take toews (who is guaranteed to make the team) right off the "checking unit" b/c that's just not going to work.

- no way that all of skinner, hall, seguin, rnh, benn make the team. this isn't the chl prospects game.

- neal won't make the team.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:28 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
why do you think that Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux is a "no brainer" of a line? I think Stamkos/Crosby would be a horrible combination...you've got a pure goal scorer with a guy who loves nothing more than hogging the puck (and comes close to "generational" ability in doing so).

- you can take toews (who is guaranteed to make the team) right off the "checking unit" b/c that's just not going to work.

- no way that all of skinner, hall, seguin, rnh, benn make the team. this isn't the chl prospects game.

- neal won't make the team.
Have to agree with you there. Except I do think Neal is in the conversation...not sure if he makes it, but one of the TOP 3 Left Wingers in the game will at least get him some discussion. RNH doesn't make it, too young and too many centers ahead of him. Benn is a long shot. I don't like his skating on big ice, so unless he turns into a 50 goal scorer, he's a long shot. Hall and Seguin will be an interesting debate for sure. If they take both, I see Hall-Tavares-Eberle as a 3rd line. He's an interesting idea I think that has been floated out there... Darren Helm (great skater) Bergeron - Seguin. You know Babcock will want to take some players he trusts to play a role, and Helm is his guy.

Closed Thread