HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Free Agency Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Alklha

vCash: 500
Unsurprisingly Martin Brodeur extends with the Devils, 2 years/$4.5m per.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:32 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Unsurprisingly Martin Brodeur extends with the Devils, 2 years/$4.5m per.
Nope, not suprising at all.

BleedinBlueSince1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Alklha

Radulov signs 4 year deal with CSKA Moskva.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:37 AM
intangible

vCash: 139
I get that the Blues did well last season, but I can't help to look around and see other teams making changes to get better, and meanwhile we sign three AHLers. Granted, there's more time in free agency, and that's not the only road we can take to get what we need. But while other teams are signing players that might fit well here, we sit by and sign our own guys... and wait. Reminds me of the trade deadline, where we just sat by and let the Kings get better. The Kings did what they needed to get the Cup.. went out and secured those piece. We just sit idly by.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:38 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
The Blues still have something to win today, and that's Suter/Parise not signing in Detroit. I think one of them will, possibly both but hope neither do. If one's going to sign let it be Parise so that their D stays weak.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
I don't understand the Cole talk. I am a huge fan of Cole. He already has a spot next year. That leaves us with 6 D. If someone or 2 get hurt are you ok with Chorney and Fairchild being our go to guys?

Never amazes me how fans forget in the offseason that injuries happen. Most physical league on the planet yet you think 6 D is ok.

Carle would make our team better period. He would help the pp a lot. He can play with top end players and he knows how to win. With that said it does not matter because I'd bet my house he ends up in Nashville as Suters replacement.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:44 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
I get that the Blues did well last season, but I can't help to look around and see other teams making changes to get better, and meanwhile we sign three AHLers. Granted, there's more time in free agency, and that's not the only road we can take to get what we need. But while other teams are signing players that might fit well here, we sit by and sign our own guys... and wait. Reminds me of the trade deadline, where we just sat by and let the Kings get better. The Kings did what they needed to get the Cup.. went out and secured those piece. We just sit idly by.
In this case there wasn't really more than Garrison out there who truly fit the Blues' needs. I suspect the Blues offered him a contract ala Wideman but he took a discount to go to Vancouver. Really not much they can do at that point.

Armstrong still knows there's a defensive need and made reference to waiting for a trade opportunity. He's not a passive guy when he knows there's a need. But he's also not a rash, foolish guy. He's not going to panic and make a bad trade, because he knows that's a worse idea than rolling into the season with Ian Cole as a top six player.

From JR's piece:
Quote:
Armstrong says the defenseman the Blues come up with might not be acquired via free agency. He acknowledged having trade talks with clubs Sunday, but nothing came to fruition because any potential deals hinge of the agendas of other teams, too.

"You talk to people that you think are going to be active," Armstrong said. "You just try and let people know what your needs are. So you just say, 'If you get into this situation let me know and I might have interest.' A lot of this is predicated on other teams making decisions on unrestricted free agents, so it's difficult. I know the fans want to see instant results, but I think this is something that could play out into the fall or into the season."
If Doan leaves Phoenix, for instance, they will need a top-6 winger to replace him and suddenly the Blues might be bigger players for Yandle and/or Gormley.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Well ****, now Garrison is gone. I guess we can bring on Carle but if he wants a 6 year deal I say no way and maybe go the trade route. If we do a trade the player I want us to target is Giordano. With Calgary's stockpile on D I think he can be had but the price might be too high.

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
I don't understand the Cole talk. I am a huge fan of Cole. He already has a spot next year. That leaves us with 6 D. If someone or 2 get hurt are you ok with Chorney and Fairchild being our go to guys?

Never amazes me how fans forget in the offseason that injuries happen. Most physical league on the planet yet you think 6 D is ok.

Carle would make our team better period. He would help the pp a lot. He can play with top end players and he knows how to win. With that said it does not matter because I'd bet my house he ends up in Nashville as Suters replacement.
I don't think anyone is saying not add another dman to hedge in case of injury. The Cole talk has to do with him being a starter. If you listened to Armstrong's interview on KMOX on May 10 following the season, he made an extra point of emphasis that it was time for Cole to get regular minutes from the start of the season. If they added Carle as you would like and I would hate, Cole would be the extra and not in the regular lineup until there's an injury. I'd rather bring back Colaiacovo than add Carle, so they can save $$ for in-season flexibility. Colaiacovo even has a better shot than Carle and they're equally bad defensively. Carle is simply a better puck mover and passer and healthier, that's it. For twice the price? No thanks.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Harley83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
For all we know Garrison may very well turn out to be another bum on Vancouver's roster, Keith Ballard
I think the guy has potential and a good slapshot but I was actually fearing a Ville Leino or Jeff Finger situation. Playing alongside the right teammate like Brian Campbell can make an average player seem way better than average. Campbell's play compliments others and not himself and I don't know if he'll find that with Bieksa. I'd be interested to see how he is going to fit in over six years.

Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Harley83

Your Keith Ballard comparison gives me an image of Garrison getting upset after a goal and smashing Schneider in the head with his stick.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley83 View Post
I think the guy has potential and a good slapshot but I was actually fearing a Ville Leino or Jeff Finger situation. Playing alongside the right teammate like Brian Campbell can make an average player seem way better than average. Campbell's play compliments others and not himself and I don't know if he'll find that with Bieksa. I'd be interested to see how he is going to fit in over six years.
Everywhere seems to be saying that he has got it on the back of 1 season, but he was very good in 2010/11 as well and it is being completely overlooked. Obviously his point totals shot up this year, and that can partially be attributed to the fact his PP time doubled. I think that 8-9% shooting is probably a fairer reflection of his shot than the 4-5% he was in 2010/11, so I don't see why he won't replicate those numbers in Vancouver is he gets the PP time.

I said a few months back that I thought he would get 6 years/$31.5m somewhere and it was the length that would worry me about us getting him at that. That is still the same, I think 6 years is a risk but not a huge one. If he had signed with the Blues on the terms he signed with the Canucks, I would be happy with the move.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Harley83

Investing in a guy that has only had one thirty point season is a gamble to me when it could go either way with a new team, I think of Erik Johnson who I really liked. I think defense is a position that if you have the right linemate you can have an impressive career because even with the most talented teammate if the chemistry isn't there their play doesn't look as great.

I'm sure he is good on the PP but I wonder if spending too much time trying to put offensive numbers will keep him from wanting to play a shutdown game at full strength. I see that all around the league with defenseman.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:16 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Apparently the Hawks are one of the last teams in the race for Parise. I hope they sign some stupid long contract for an ungodly amount of money and put themselves back in cap hell. It does pain me though since Parise is one of my favorite non-Blues.

Edit- here's the tweet

‏@Ledger_NJDevils

Zach Parise decision may be down to two teams-- the Chicago Blackhawks being strong contenders

The Note is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley83 View Post
Investing in a guy that has only had one thirty point season is a gamble to me when it could go either way with a new team, I think of Erik Johnson who I really liked. I think defense is a position that if you have the right linemate you can have an impressive career because even with the most talented teammate if the chemistry isn't there their play doesn't look as great.

I'm sure he is good on the PP but I wonder if spending too much time trying to put offensive numbers will keep him from wanting to play a shutdown game at full strength. I see that all around the league with defenseman.
In 2010/11 his partner was Mike Weaver and he was playing 22 minutes a night against the opposition top lines, and was starting in his own defensive zone more often than not. He was their best defenseman before Campbell. I don't see why he'll be trying too hard on the offensive side when his defensive game is very, very good and has shown that over the past 2 seasons.

We have signed Jeff Woywitka again, 2 way deal.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

Woywitka? Really?

This tells me they are either going with Cole or that Cole is being traded.

I'm not very knowledgeable on Peoria's depth, but there seems like there are plenty of guys who could fill the 7th d man spot now.

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

Jeff Woywitka! 'eff YEEEAAAAAAH!

I wonder if this signals that the Blues are out of the running for a top-4 defenseman though? Woywitka becomes our 7th and Cole gets regular minutes. Probably just some Peoria depth they hope they can slide through waivers though.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
Regardless what scoring help they get up front, their defense and goaltending are still pretty average. I'd much rather the Hawks sign him than the Wings though. The Hawks will always score goals if they have Hossa, Kane, Toews, and Sharp. Keeping the puck out of their own net has been their problem. I really don't think Corey Crawford is the answer to that problem. Maybe if they sign Parise, they can move one of their other forwards for Defensive/goaltending help. Parise certainly makes any team better, so it would still be a good move for them to sign him. Cap problems could arise though.

Edit:Looks like Woywitka is this year's Huskins, albeit much younger version.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wiems35

EDIT: Nevermind, was thinking of something else.

Wiems35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:26 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

yesssssss WOYRIKA

Old
07-02-2012, 02:28 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Anyone else think army is up to some devious trade plot?

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:31 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
Anyone else think army is up to some devious trade plot?
I'd like to, but I don't want to get my hopes up that we'll do something major.

The Note is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:32 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

JR gives me the impression that the full court press is on Matt Carle. I think he would fit reasonably well, but if Phoenix is open to trading Yandle, I really hope we pounce on it.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Alklha

Flames give Jiř Hudler a 4 year $16m deal...

Old
07-02-2012, 02:43 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Overpayment slightly, but that's free agency. Hudler's a very consistent, 45-55 point player. I'd be okay with it if I was a Flames fan.