HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Ducks sign Sheldon Souray. 3 years 3.67 mil

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2012, 12:44 PM
  #76
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 39,005
vCash: 500
All that money wasted just to get Kelly Kelly to The Pond...

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
  #77
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,514
vCash: 500
I was under the impression that if you sign a FA >= 35 years old, even if they retire while the deal is still valid, you are on the hook for that salary for the duration regardless.

Also, yeah if his minutes are limited, he could be useful, but the main concern I have since we dealt Lubo for a piece of paper, is who is going to pick up all those minutes.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:26 PM
  #78
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 15,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
I was under the impression that if you sign a FA >= 35 years old, even if they retire while the deal is still valid, you are on the hook for that salary for the duration regardless.

Also, yeah if his minutes are limited, he could be useful, but the main concern I have since we dealt Lubo for a piece of paper, is who is going to pick up all those minutes.
I believe it's on the hook for the cap hit, not the salary. If they retire they don't get paid.

Someone before also mention buyout. You could buy them out, but the cap hit doesn't go away. But again you do save salary, which might be more important to the Ducks.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:29 PM
  #79
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I believe it's on the hook for the cap hit, not the salary. If they retire they don't get paid.

Someone before also mention buyout. You could buy them out, but the cap hit doesn't go away. But again you do save salary, which might be more important to the Ducks.
Ah yes, I meant cap hit. Sometimes I forget that actual dollars mean more than cap dollars to the Ducks now. Sigh.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
  #80
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 7,353
vCash: 500
Just some thought...

So, we all were surprised that Vatanen chose (?) #45.

Why? Even if we are not giving younger players low numbers, this is not the case (there is basically no difference between 44 and 45, and some guy neamed Beleskey got 39 right away Sbisa got 5 also.

So.. why 45?

I just had this crazy thought in my mind that maybe Bob knew all the way we will sign Souray? Maybe Cogs and Saku was calling him long ago.

Sami is a fan and managment favorite (or so) prospect, and would definately get a chance to choose a number at some point. Maybe for now they just reserved #44 for Souray. Then Vis trade would make at least 5% more sense..

What do you think?

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:43 PM
  #81
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,107
vCash: 500
Sorry to say, but a tremendous overpayment for a washed up Sheldon Souray. Playing in the Stas defenive system hides ot of flaws for a D-man. Had the Ducks signed him for $1 per it would be fine. $3.6 for 3 years? Should have kept the money and extended Getzlaf and Perry instead. The Souray flame psts will follow once the season starts.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:50 PM
  #82
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
So, we all were surprised that Vatanen chose (?) #45.

Why? Even if we are not giving younger players low numbers, this is not the case (there is basically no difference between 44 and 45, and some guy neamed Beleskey got 39 right away Sbisa got 5 also.

So.. why 45?

I just had this crazy thought in my mind that maybe Bob knew all the way we will sign Souray? Maybe Cogs and Saku was calling him long ago.

Sami is a fan and managment favorite (or so) prospect, and would definately get a chance to choose a number at some point. Maybe for now they just reserved #44 for Souray. Then Vis trade would make at least 5% more sense..

What do you think?
Don't think so. #44 may not be a low number, but it's defenitely a popular one. It's a number of someone established, usually a defenseman. Same with #55.

Why Sbisa was given #5 right away I have no idea, maybe because he already had a NHL season (or 47 games if you want) under his belt and because he was supposed to be a sure thing on the opening roster?

Beleskey's #39 is much more random than #44. It's lower, but still considered a higher hockey number if you know what I mean.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:54 PM
  #83
DuckJet
#iamsorry
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 32,851
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
So, we all were surprised that Vatanen chose (?) #45.

Why? Even if we are not giving younger players low numbers, this is not the case (there is basically no difference between 44 and 45, and some guy neamed Beleskey got 39 right away Sbisa got 5 also.

So.. why 45?

I just had this crazy thought in my mind that maybe Bob knew all the way we will sign Souray? Maybe Cogs and Saku was calling him long ago.

Sami is a fan and managment favorite (or so) prospect, and would definately get a chance to choose a number at some point. Maybe for now they just reserved #44 for Souray. Then Vis trade would make at least 5% more sense..

What do you think?
Pretty good thinking. Vatanen's gonna have a hard time slotting in unless we trade or buy out Lydman

Fowler-Beauchemin
Sbisa-Allen
Souray-Lydman

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:01 PM
  #84
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Sorry to say, but a tremendous overpayment for a washed up Sheldon Souray.
The money isn't terrible. It's the contract length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post

Playing in the Stas defenive system hides ot of flaws for a D-man.
Nt as much as wehn Hithcock was ther but yah it helpps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post


Had the Ducks signed him for $1 per it would be fine.
I think the only player you could sign at that price in this current marketplace is JF Jomphe and he might turn it down unless you threw in a loaf of bread or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post


$3.6 for 3 years? Should have kept the money and extended Getzlaf and Perry instead.
That won't get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post


The Souray flame psts will follow once the season starts.
Pay attention, they've already started.


Last edited by Pwnasaurus: 07-02-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:15 PM
  #85
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 9,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Had the Ducks signed him for $1 per it would be fine.
Come on. With this market, it's obvious he'd be worth more than $2M. Greg Zanon got $2.25M. That's a starting point, and it's only logical his asking price was quite a bit north of that. I agree that it's overpayment, but the degree seems to get a bit overstated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Should have kept the money and extended Getzlaf and Perry instead.
No need to worry. I can virtually guarantee you that none of the signings we made yesterday will have a negative impact on our ability to re-sign those two until next summer. They either will, or won't. Having Souray around should only help, as spending money for a veteran that has put up good numbers before is a sign that the organisation wants to be successful. Players tend to not think of other players in the same dimensions as fans and HF posters.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:06 PM
  #86
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 47,638
vCash: 500
he came out like gang busters for the stars and then hit the wall

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:08 PM
  #87
vroom96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Didn't see this posted (at least in this thread)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...or-new-chapter

Didn't know he lives in Beverly Hills. At least he's excited to be here unlike the other guy. Will make the Oilers game even more interesting...

vroom96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:57 AM
  #88
mightyquack
Reverse Tank
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 15,485
vCash: 500
More Kelly Kelly at Ducks games, fans be cheerin'

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:08 AM
  #89
Markus078
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Austria
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
As long as I don't know how his contract looks like I will not judge it. Performance based contracts do not hurt money wise. CAP wise it's not even worth to think about. The Ducks will not go to the max over the next years, so who cares. I also he will retire if he can not play in the league anymore.

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:35 AM
  #90
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 15,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
As long as I don't know how his contract looks like I will not judge it. Performance based contracts do not hurt money wise. CAP wise it's not even worth to think about. The Ducks will not go to the max over the next years, so who cares. I also he will retire if he can not play in the league anymore.
It can't be performance based because it's a multi-year deal. Yet another reason why I hate the term.

Performance bonus contract would have actually made this a decent acquisition.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
  #91
Vipers31
Moderator
Advanced Stagnostic
 
Vipers31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bergisch Gladbach
Country: Germany
Posts: 9,935
vCash: 500
Yeah, the contract looks pretty simple. $4M in 12-13 / $3.5M in 13-14 and 14-15.

It's pretty weird to look at our defense and see him as our highest paid defenseman next year.


Last edited by Vipers31: 07-03-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:58 AM
  #92
rollingdux
Registered User
 
rollingdux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: So Cal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Don't think so. #44 may not be a low number, but it's
Why Sbisa was given #5 right away I have no idea, maybe because he already had a NHL season (or 47 games if you want) under his belt and because he was supposed to be a sure thing on the opening roster?

Plus Sbisa came over w/ that # already.

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
  #93
Sean Garrity
MAGNUSIFENT!
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 8,905
vCash: 500
The thing that most people(outsiders) don't realize is that the Ducks could care less about his cap hit if Souray retires or not. Sure the length is a year too long, but we don't know what happened in the negotiations. Souray could've said, I've got another offer for 3 years so if you don't match it I'm not gonna be a Duck.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:33 PM
  #94
mightyquack
Reverse Tank
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 15,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGallINYAface View Post
The thing that most people(outsiders) don't realize is that the Ducks could care less about his cap hit if Souray retires or not. Sure the length is a year too long, but we don't know what happened in the negotiations. Souray could've said, I've got another offer for 3 years so if you don't match it I'm not gonna be a Duck.
I think it was reported that Souray had got at least one other 3 year offer, would assume that he'd of taken a 3 year offer, even if it wasn't in SoCal if Anaheim stuck to 2 years for example

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:51 PM
  #95
Belanger25
ZUES!
 
Belanger25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upland
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Cap Geek just posted Souray got a NMC/Modified NTC.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=21

https://twitter.com/capgeek/status/220316006868987905

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:55 PM
  #96
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly
 
jax00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaslime
Country: United States
Posts: 8,487
vCash: 500
Who the **** is Souray's agent? Mother****er scored.

Also: This contract is still brutal 2 days later. I still can't believe penny pincher Bob dished out 11 mil to this guy. Unreal.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:58 PM
  #97
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,331
vCash: 500
Souray said he had a NMC for the first year of the deal.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:02 PM
  #98
Theridion
Registered User
 
Theridion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
Who the **** is Souray's agent? Mother****er scored.

Also: This contract is still brutal 2 days later. I still can't believe penny pincher Bob dished out 11 mil to this guy. Unreal.
Nmc is rediculous. It's a sport that pays you 4 mil a year. Suck it up and deal with the fact that you might be inconvenienced with having to move. Or quit when you are traded, and stop playing and collecting fat checks.

Nmc is totally against what this team has done in the past.

Sheldons existance and contract will probably not change the team much for good or worse, but I don't like the nmc offering.

Sheldon better sit on the #2 pp unit and make it dangerous.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:06 PM
  #99
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 15,786
vCash: 500
Oh god, it keeps getting worse.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:20 PM
  #100
Crazy8oooo
k ؃
 
Crazy8oooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theridion View Post
Nmc is rediculous. It's a sport that pays you 4 mil a year. Suck it up and deal with the fact that you might be inconvenienced with having to move. Or quit when you are traded, and stop playing and collecting fat checks.

Nmc is totally against what this team has done in the past.

Sheldons existance and contract will probably not change the team much for good or worse, but I don't like the nmc offering.

Sheldon better sit on the #2 pp unit and make it dangerous.
After the fiasco in Edmonton and being buried in the AHL, I don't blame him for wanting a NMC. He probably insisted on it.

Crazy8oooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.