Toby Enstrom

Old
06-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
I agree Meuller's injury history is concerning but I think we would take Sidney Crosby if we could and he suffered a similiar injury.

Meuller certainly seems to have the ability to put up points as demonstrated by his rookie year. His progression actually makes me think of Wheeler, the difference being the concussions.

If you don't like his game that's fine, but I'd sure like if you'd explain why. I was just hunting around to make a trade and watched some clips which doesn't tell the whole story. From what I saw he seems to have be a big strong guy with decent speed and a good shot.
Don't personally disagree with using a Burns-type return as a basis, though as Huffer said I'd also expect much better in return, especially from the main piece. In my opinion Mueller is a bit of a floater at times, he doesn't demonstrate enough commitment in all zones. Your own mileage may vary and if so, cool.

Not a Mueller fan in the first place, and his injury history is far too big a red flag when considering an exchange for the Jets best trade bait. Now if he was a throw-in alongside a deal for Matt Duchene, then fine; if we had to take him in order to acquire MD then I'd find something for him either here or elsewhere.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:08 PM
TroubaFan1

vCash: 500
Personally id like to see us try and hang on to him, have him play with bogo instead of buff, see what happens and then try to sign him long term.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Don't see Peter Mueller as being much of an upgrade to the Jets top 6, which is what I'd want coming the other way for Enstrom should the Jets opt to deal him. Mueller strikes me as an incredibly streaky player, and of course has had some major injury issues to boot.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Like I said on the other board I don't see the value in Wilson unless he can replace Little. We have a glut of 2-4 line C's.
Part of the reason I personally like Wilson is that I'd like to increase the size of some of our centres.

Plus, I don't think you can ever go wrong with having a lot of quality centres. Especially when some of your centres can also play wing. I think a team that has guys playing wing that can also play centre is a nice thing to have as it can give you flexibility in terms of line combination's, as well as in injury situations. Plus, while some natural centres can play wing, it's not often that natural wingers can go over to centre.

In that regard, if the Jets got a guy like Wilson I could see in the future Scheifele and Wilson being the 1-2 punch down the middle, and Little and Burmistrov being moved to wing.

Edit:

This is from Paradise in the Wilson to Wpg or TO thread:

Enstrom + Klingberg + pick (2013 3rd)

for

Wilson + Watson + Blum

Under the caveat that Enstrom is not staying here, I think something like this helps us out now, and in the future.

Wilson can be a big body in the middle, and can be paired with Scheifele in the future as our 1-2 punch. We could either have Burmistrov on the wing and have Watson as the 3rd C, or move Watson to the wing and have Burmistrov as the 3rd C. Blum could be brought along on the bottom pair and could possibly be a top 4 player in a few years.

2 / 3 years out:

Kane - Wilson - Wheeler
Ladd - Scheifele - Little
Telegin - Watson - Burmistrov
Cormier - Slater - Machacek

3C's with size, 3 scoring lines and a checking line. Not tonnes of size, but Kane, Wilson, Wheeler (to an extent), Ladd, Telegin, and Watson could probably handle themselves, and I wouldn't be worried about anyone on the 4th line.

The problem on D would be that all of our potential top 4 guys at that time are RHD (Bogo, Buff, Blum, Postma, Trouba), so some guys either need to play on their off side, or we would have to acquire some guys to play LD.

Last edited by Huffer: 06-25-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Huffer

So, how long after the Free Agency period ends are we going to start hearing about possibly extending Enstrom?

It seems kind of strange to me for a UFA of Enstrom's caliber to get such little press in the Winnipeg media.

I feel like the direction with Enstrom will have more impact to the team in the short and medium term than anything we do or didn't do on UFA day.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:03 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
So, how long after the Free Agency period ends are we going to start hearing about possibly extending Enstrom?

It seems kind of strange to me for a UFA of Enstrom's caliber to get such little press in the Winnipeg media.

I feel like the direction with Enstrom will have more impact to the team in the short and medium term than anything we do or didn't do on UFA day.
I imagine we will start to hear things as soon as some of the big names sign. Then still being on the market seems to have put a freeze on trade activity. For instance if we were to get Jokinen there wouldn't be a reason to make the Nashville trade.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Yeah, after it was released that we weren't even attempting to go after Suter, but went for Parise instead. It definitely looks like we're not looking to move Enstrom, but extend him instead.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:44 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Yeah, after it was released that we weren't even attempting to go after Suter, but went for Parise instead. It definitely looks like we're not looking to move Enstrom, but extend him instead.
Suter would have been wasted effort. He's made it known that he has a strong preference to sign for an American team.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I don't think that necessarily indicates anything about Enstrom but rather the fact that Suter wanted to stay in the Western conference and Parise wanted to stay in the East, which is where we are

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I don't think that necessarily indicates anything about Enstrom but rather the fact that Suter wanted to stay in the Western conference and Parise wanted to stay in the East, which is where we are
I don't really know about the whole east-west thing because Winnipeg is essentially a West team currently playing in the East.

That will probably be changed in 1 to 2 years and the players for sure know that.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:49 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Buff is the kind of guy we need to use as a 7th dman
Buff is the kind of guy we need to use as a dman... TFTFY (There; Fixed That For You)

I understand him getting goals+assists from centre ice or the blue line. But he should not be roaming behind the opposition goal line. When he does that, and the opposition gets a quick breakout...
  • either they get a 2 an 1 (our remaining defenseman)
  • or we have one of our forwards playing defense
Nothing good can come of this. Buff needs to buy into the system and play defense.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote