The 2012-2013 Boston Celtics Thread: Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 04:47 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine View Post
After reading this post, it becomes crystal clear...

You clearly hate Ray Allen.. Therefore, it is an exercise in abject futility to have a rational discussion about basketball, the Celtics, Allen or Rondo, with you.

You cleary have an intense dislike for the man.

Later
No its not an intense dislike... its frustration that at this stage in his career he thinks we owe him something. The only dislike would be that I consider the Big 3 currently to be Rondo PP KG and he isn't even in the conversation anymore and if he thinks he is he's crazy.

I think he is an enourmous question mark for next year (and one that isn't going to be happy if he plays less than 20 minutes in a game.) Pierce and KG I know what to expect and a slower version of each is still a great player. A moody Allen who has lost his stroke (he struggled with FTs this year even though he did find his game eventually in the playoffs) isn't going to help us much.

If Ray wants to piggyback to a ring in Miami it takes a notch off his legacy here and there's no chance I say anything good about him until he retires or leaves the heat I promise you I will have an strong dislike then (its OK for fans to have all sorts of different opinions of a guy under those circumstance...I still love Manny Ramirez but lots of Boston fans don't unfortunately since they listen to the media.)

Rajon Rondo does things no other NBA point guard does. He is a pure distributor. Rose and Paul are good players but they are volume scorers who need a ton of shots. A scoring PG like Jeremy Lin could step into Chicago or LAC's teams and emulate Paul and Rose and just be a poor mans version of them...Jeremy Lin could never ever ever be a poor mans Rondo even in his dreams he wouldn't be able to see the court and pass the ball like Rajon.

2 years ago saying we'd be a 500 team without good players around him would be true. Right now I think he'd carry any NBA team to the playoffs. Rondo is equally comfortable dishing the ball on the break or in the fast court too, the offense can go at any pace with him.

Because he has elevated his game so much I don't really care about his off-court behavior and immaturity (we have KG around 3 more years we're fine in that area.)

Old
07-02-2012, 05:03 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
My buddy keeps arguing with me that Russell Westbrook is better than Kevin Durant and is the 2nd best player in the league.

I don't know what to say anymore.
I don't think Durant is THAT much better than Westbrook (or Harden.) I think Westbrook is closer to Durant than Wade is to LeBron.

Durant's outside shooting has regressed a little even if his all around game has improved and he's an annual MVP candidate/top 5 NBA player.

I used to think Westbrook should look to distribute more but after seeing how hard a lot of the buckets he gets are I think he needs to keep trying to score 30 points every game. Thing which people don't realize about OKC is that team relies on their home court far more than any other team and is a team that can be smacked in the mouth and sort of "lose it" and not play well for stretches (why I gave us a shot against them if we got by Miami.) When OKC gets cold its speedy Westbrook who carries them through bad stretches of games.

And Westbrook is pretty tall for how good a ball handler he is and how fast he is if I was building a team from nothing and knew I wouldn't have great players around my PG I'd take him over almost anyone.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:46 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
I don't think Durant is THAT much better than Westbrook (or Harden.) I think Westbrook is closer to Durant than Wade is to LeBron.

Durant's outside shooting has regressed a little even if his all around game has improved and he's an annual MVP candidate/top 5 NBA player.

I used to think Westbrook should look to distribute more but after seeing how hard a lot of the buckets he gets are I think he needs to keep trying to score 30 points every game. Thing which people don't realize about OKC is that team relies on their home court far more than any other team and is a team that can be smacked in the mouth and sort of "lose it" and not play well for stretches (why I gave us a shot against them if we got by Miami.) When OKC gets cold its speedy Westbrook who carries them through bad stretches of games.

And Westbrook is pretty tall for how good a ball handler he is and how fast he is if I was building a team from nothing and knew I wouldn't have great players around my PG I'd take him over almost anyone.
Stick him at 2 guard where he belongs and he'll never have to worry about passing.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Seems like everybody is making a big deal about the 3 draft picks we made this year & have completely forgot about the PF & Guard we got last draft.

Do they suck or something?

Old
07-03-2012, 11:32 AM
bostone737

any word on Green?

Old
07-03-2012, 03:03 PM
kman22

According to Marc Spears, the Celtics are in final discussions on a multi-year deal for Jason Terry.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:04 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostone737 View Post
any word on Green?
They are close to a deal, but new deals can't become official until July 11th I believe.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:21 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
According to Marc Spears, the Celtics are in final discussions on a multi-year deal for Jason Terry.
Wow - that came out of nowhere. If they do sign him that would likely rule out Ray Allen coming back.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
kman22

According to Adrian Wojnarowski, the Celtics can make the money work for Ray Allen still, with the Bird rights situation. Miami can offer more playing time, but Boston can offer more money. Should be interesting.

Also, Terry's deal is 3 years/$15 million. Full mid level exception.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
They have actually signed Jason Terry....Ainge made an excellent move. It gives them a good replacement for Allen(and I don't think one is needed just yet). It also gives them an adequate ball handling and passing guard, which helps considerably.....I still want Calderon or some other backup PG but this is a very good signing.
I agree that a backup point guard would be nice, they'd have to be willing to take the veteran minimum at this point though. This also suggests that they are fully intending to bring back their free agents, like Green and Bass.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:10 PM
CDJ*

****ing love the Terry deal. Great player. CLUTCH player

Old
07-03-2012, 05:14 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Terry oh wow AMAZING Dannny Ainge!

What a great signing. Past it...uh yah 12 months past being instrumental in Dallas beating Miami in the finals!

Wow great move.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Shaun
beauty

now if we can just sign and trade Bass for Josh Smith....

Old
07-03-2012, 06:11 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
Sorry for the misinformation went by some tweets I saw that said they had agreed in principle yadda yadda yadda. Terry is not a Celtic yet as he still wants to give Dallas the right to retain him until the very last minute. Terry though said, "it does not look good" [the chances of re-signing] which is interersting in itself. I want Terry totally invested in the Celtics, but I imagine he will get used to them. Edit: one thing bothers me a bit here. I don't really understand the NBA cap but I have heard that if they are above a certain salary figure-70 million-maybe-but below the tax threshold they get the full MLE. [I][But/I]if they do not get to that figure they do not have that five million dollar MLE. Is that correct?
I imagine the Celtics will just spend to that figure no matter if they get Allen or not so it is excellent news either way.
As long as they don't renounce any of their free agents, they are over the cap and can use the MLE. If the Mavs re-sign him, it'd be a shocker.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Soderberg

Doc said like a week ago I think that he wants both Ray and Jason Terry. Could you imagine? I saw a tweet that said if we had both of them it would be something like 4300 career 3 pointers coming off the bench.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:00 PM
CDJ*

Courtney Lee had his QO withdrawn. Very good player. Hope we take a look at him.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:25 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segchise View Post
Doc said like a week ago I think that he wants both Ray and Jason Terry. Could you imagine? I saw a tweet that said if we had both of them it would be something like 4300 career 3 pointers coming off the bench.
It makes me sick to my stomach that Allen only wants to play for the punk ass heat other than us...but I don't want to lose a series to that team because he decides to hit his threes (unlike the game in 2010 after he set the record and missed all of em and cost us the title.)

Id give Allen anything he wants to keep him of Miami. I was thinking F him (and will if he choses em) but I think I want him on our team and not theirs.

I hope we bring Allen back.

I bet he goes to Miami though.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Shaun
beauty

I think its a lock he goes to Miami. The Celtics already offered him more money and term so clearly he doesn't think he can win here and is looking to go to a contender like Miami.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:16 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It makes me sick to my stomach that Allen only wants to play for the punk ass heat other than us...but I don't want to lose a series to that team because he decides to hit his threes (unlike the game in 2010 after he set the record and missed all of em and cost us the title.)

Id give Allen anything he wants to keep him of Miami. I was thinking F him (and will if he choses em) but I think I want him on our team and not theirs.

I hope we bring Allen back.

I bet he goes to Miami though.
The Celtics apparently tried to trade Ray several times in the past 2 years, most recently in February. Rumor has it they even told him he was traded before having the deal fall apart.

If it was me, I would probably be interested in playing somewhere where I know I am wanted, and won't be shopped at the deadline

Old
07-05-2012, 01:48 PM
kman22

The celtics are reportedly looking at nick young as a potential replacement for ray allen, if he should happen to sign elsewhere.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:38 PM
kman22

The clippers signed jamal crawford and chauncey billups, and they dropped out of the running for ray allen.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Jeff from Maine

Quote:
No its not an intense dislike... its frustration that at this stage in his career he thinks we owe him something. The only dislike would be that I consider the Big 3 currently to be Rondo PP KG and he isn't even in the conversation anymore and if he thinks he is he's crazy.

I think he is an enourmous question mark for next year (and one that isn't going to be happy if he plays less than 20 minutes in a game.) Pierce and KG I know what to expect and a slower version of each is still a great player. A moody Allen who has lost his stroke (he struggled with FTs this year even though he did find his game eventually in the playoffs) isn't going to help us much.

If Ray wants to piggyback to a ring in Miami it takes a notch off his legacy here and there's no chance I say anything good about him until he retires or leaves the heat I promise you I will have an strong dislike then (its OK for fans to have all sorts of different opinions of a guy under those circumstance...I still love Manny Ramirez but lots of Boston fans don't unfortunately since they listen to the media.)

Rajon Rondo does things no other NBA point guard does. He is a pure distributor. Rose and Paul are good players but they are volume scorers who need a ton of shots. A scoring PG like Jeremy Lin could step into Chicago or LAC's teams and emulate Paul and Rose and just be a poor mans version of them...Jeremy Lin could never ever ever be a poor mans Rondo even in his dreams he wouldn't be able to see the court and pass the ball like Rajon.

2 years ago saying we'd be a 500 team without good players around him would be true. Right now I think he'd carry any NBA team to the playoffs. Rondo is equally comfortable dishing the ball on the break or in the fast court too, the offense can go at any pace with him.

Because he has elevated his game so much I don't really care about his off-court behavior and immaturity (we have KG around 3 more years we're fine in that area.)
Give me proof that Allen believes that he is owed something. I have not seen one quote attributed to him thatr even remotely insinuates that he believes the team owes him anything.

Your making him out to be a jerk...and as such, its on you to PROVE that. If you cant, then your statements are flat out wrong.

And BTW....as for Ray Allens on court play....who was the ONLY member of the Big 4 to show up in the seasons first month?

Easy answer....Rondo, Pierce and KG were jokes on the court during that time. Ray Allen CARRIED them.

And furthermore, until his INJURY, he was the leading or 2nd leading scorer on that team. He was the most consistent scorer that the team had. Pierce was a pale shader of himself for the entire season. KG didnt even remotely play well until he was moved out of the 4 and into the 5 spot on the court.

The ONLY thing that derailed Allen was the ankle. If that injury had not occured, this thread wouldnt even exist. Furthermore, Avery Bradley....who, BTW had been GOD AWFUL prior to Allens injury, would never have seen the light of day.

The ONLY thing that makes him a question mark is the ankle.

And also....Bradley started becoming ineffective once teams saw him more than once, and the book was written on him.

Later

Closed Thread