HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2012 - ALL NON-RANGER UFA TALK AND SIGNINGS HERE! (PART IV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
In Howson's defense (and that being said, the man is mental...he is an absolute lunatic), he is trying to erase 4+ years of terrible management. Nash is really the ONLY trade chip he has and he needs to get as much for him as he can.
You're not going to fix years of terrible signings, drafting, and especially player development with one trade. They should have a firesale in Columbus. (Howson already fired his scouts) Trade Nash, Wiz, Umberger, Brassard. Trading those for young, but not great players, prospects, and some draft picks could go a long way. Trading a guy making 7.8 mil who didn't reach 60 points last season, and has a NTC, isn't going to fix your hockey team. Howson needs to wake up.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:48 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Would not be surprised if ‪#CBJ‬ had Rick Nash talks with ‪#Sabres‬, per RDS report, as GM Scott Howson is willing to talk w all teams.

Can confirm, however, the ‪#Sabres‬ are not on Nash's approved list of teams to which he'd accept trade.

#CBJ‬ GM Scott Howson has talked w all clubs with the hope Nash and his agent, Joe Resnick, would expand the list. No sign of that happening

https://twitter.com/#!/Aportzline
Round and round and round we go...

Old
07-02-2012, 06:49 PM
bouds

Right, the NMC killed Howson's leverage. Eventually Nash will have to change his short list, add a couple of teams, or he can choose to rot in Columbus. Nash wanted the money and the NMC, he got what he wanted, money and the inability to change teams.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouds View Post
Right, the NMC killed Howson's leverage. Eventually Nash will have to change his short list, add a couple of teams, or he can choose to rot in Columbus. Nash wanted the money and the NMC, he got what he wanted, money and the inability to change teams.
Basically its a mexican standoff and the key is going to be who budges first, Howson, Sather or Nash himself...

Unfortunately for Howson he is in the weakest position.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
In Howson's defense (and that being said, the man is mental...he is an absolute lunatic), he is trying to erase 4+ years of terrible management. Nash is really the ONLY trade chip he has and he needs to get as much for him as he can.
You are right about this being his only trade chip and he needs to rebuild the team.

I also believe that he is being offered roughly the same assets he would have received at the deadline (with the exception of maybe Kreider). Last March when the Rangers were in first Sather was not really in a position to mess up the chemistry of a first place team and trade assets. His legacy would have been that he ruined the Rangers SC run. He had to let the season play out to illustrate the weakness in the rangers game.

Therefore, other than some insults on this message board I'm not sure Howsen is any worse for wear. He probably did the best he could in an impossible situation.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Its howson's fault for giving nash the NMC. That was hus mistake.
Yes, but I think the fact that Nash signed for 8/62.4 in Columbus and wanted the NMC to begin with suggests it wont be too difficult of a job to gloss things over.

The notion that Howson has reached the point of no return with Nash is way overblown as far as Im concerned.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yes, but I think the fact that Nash signed for 8/62.4 in Columbus and wanted the NMC to begin with suggests it wont be too difficult of a job to gloss things over.

The notion that Howson has reached the point of no return with Nash is way overblown as far as Im concerned.
One thing is for sure...they can get on the road to rebuilding a lot more quickly if they trade Nash as opposed to keeping him.

Old
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

I keep wondering why Sather hasn't done anything in FA besides sign Asham, when it hit me. He's just waiting for Howson to fold. I have a feeling it won't just be Nash coming our way.

Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Impatient with Dwight Howard circus, Nets move on with Joe Johnson
https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/219939708065685504

Quote:
Having grown impatient from their seven-month pursuit of Dwight Howard, the Brooklyn Nets moved on Monday with an agreement in principle to acquire All-Star shooting guard Joe Johnson from the Atlanta Hawks.
Quote:
And they couldn't afford to keep waiting for Howard and the Magic to figure out how, and when, that saga is going to end.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...th-joe-johnson

How much longer will Sather wait for Columbus to figure out what they want to do with Nash? Sather has been pursuing Nash since February.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Just go all in on Semin, 3 or 4 year deal with a lower cap hit than Nash. Won't give up any assets for him, still have a good group developing at the lower levels. **** Nash and his circus, let him rot in Columbus.
+1. Exactly the same thinking here.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
bouds

Quote:
Basically its a mexican standoff and the key is going to be who budges first, Howson, Sather or Nash himself...

Unfortunately for Howson he is in the weakest position.
Nash may blink first if you ask me. Neither GM wants to look like a fool, give up too much or receive relatively nothing. The prospect of playing in Columbus will get Nash to make some sort of concession, unless he really isn't that miserable and is content with playing there.

What RangerBoy posted is bang on.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Sure what do we have to lose if we move on? Absolutely nothing.

What does Howson have to lose? His job. Sather needs to try other avenues I'm getting sick of this Rick Nash crap.

07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/219939708065685504

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...th-joe-johnson

How much longer will Sather wait for Columbus to figure out what they want to do with Nash? Sather has been pursuing Nash since February.
Well, I hope we dont move on to a Joe Johnson equivalent. One of the worst contracts in pro sports.

Old
XLJ

Howson only leverage is telling Nash he doesn't like the offers and he is keeping him. What can Nash do? He is stuck there. That might get Nash to consider a couple of more teams.

IMO Nash goes to either San Jose or New York. Both teams look like they are waiting for Howson to lower his trade demands.

Old
Svenhart2008

Quote:
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype

This needs repeating: generally, a no-trade clause isn't a guarantee an NHLer stays in a city. It's there to control their next destination.

Old
Rangerfan4life90

Howson is an absolute clown, that is all. Hell, he even looks like one.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:00 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I'm guessing Ryan's asking price is through the roof. Haven't heard any rumors on him in a while.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:00 PM
SauceCheese91

Quote:
Just go all in on Semin, 3 or 4 year deal with a lower cap hit than Nash. Won't give up any assets for him, still have a good group developing at the lower levels. **** Nash and his circus, let him rot in Columbus.
Also go with this. Call Howson and tell him that this is his last chance to negotiate a deal or he has a deal in place to sign another free agent.

Go with Semin to replace Gabby for a little bit and when healthy it adds lots of potential to our offense.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:04 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I'm guessing Ryan's asking price is through the roof. Haven't heard any rumors on him in a while.
The rumor is they want a cheap center, from us that would be Stepan. They don't want Dubi or Arty. Sather said he's not trading him for anyone so that's the end of the discussions.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
2nd line center, top 4 D-man, and a prospect, likely.

Most Ranger fans saying Anisimov (who is not a 2nd line center), Del Zotto (who is the last type of defenseman Anaheim needs), and a B/C level prospect.

That deal is not going anywhere without Stepan, and that'd be silly.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:05 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
You are right about this being his only trade chip and he needs to rebuild the team.

I also believe that he is being offered roughly the same assets he would have received at the deadline (with the exception of maybe Kreider). Last March when the Rangers were in first Sather was not really in a position to mess up the chemistry of a first place team and trade assets. His legacy would have been that he ruined the Rangers SC run. He had to let the season play out to illustrate the weakness in the rangers game.

Therefore, other than some insults on this message board I'm not sure Howsen is any worse for wear. He probably did the best he could in an impossible situation.
He was never offered Kreider...Brooks said that the last offer Sather made was Dubi, Erixon, Miller, Thomas and the 2012 #1. And, I'd be willing to bet that Sather doesn't come close to making that offer right now. The Rangers brass - most notably Clark and Gorton - were highly critical of Howson and his demands. I don't care what Howson thinks he should get; the historical market for a player of Nash's value would be Dubinsky or Anisimov/Erixon and a #1 pick or another prospect. Better players with less strings attached, such as Jagr, Blake, Thornton, Hossa, Pronger and Kovalchuk, have all been dealt for just about the equivalent of the return I described. The only leverage Howson has is that he can refuse to deal Nash. OTOH, Nash can determine where he wants to get traded, and so far, he and his agent have stuck to that program.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceCheese91 View Post
Also go with this. Call Howson and tell him that this is his last chance to negotiate a deal or he has a deal in place to sign another free agent.

Go with Semin to replace Gabby for a little bit and when healthy it adds lots of potential to our offense.
What would be the benefit of letting Howson know that? Let him twist in the wind.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:07 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
I keep wondering why Sather hasn't done anything in FA besides sign Asham, when it hit me. He's just waiting for Howson to fold. I have a feeling it won't just be Nash coming our way.
Who did you want them to sign in free agency? They aren't going to do anything stupid.

Quote:
“As far as free agency, the uncertainty of it all will change everything,” Gorton said. “At the end of the day, to get a really good player, sometimes you extend yourself more than you would normally do, but in this case we don’t know what the number’s gonna be, the cap’s gonna be, we don’t know a whole bunch of scenarios that have to be worked out between the league and the union, and so I think you have to work cautiously, don’t do anything stupid, and don’t do something so under the new rules there won’t be any kind of penalties for you or hardships that put you into tough situations. So I think we’re business as usual, but I think our eye is on not doing anything stupid, too.”
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...deepest-crop/2

The free agent market stinks. The CBA is expiring. Everyone is not as smart as the Calgary Flames to invest nearly $10M in Wideman and Hudler.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers aren't alone

Quote:
Despite the lack of additional scoring depth on the wing and arguably the need for another stable top-four defenseman, General Manager George McPhee said Monday he doesn’t “expect to do anything” more in this shallow free agent market.

“It’s a very inflated market this summer. There aren’t very many players and there are a lot of teams pursuing the players,” McPhee said. “At some point you start inventing players, making them out to be better than they are and paying more than you should. It’s sometimes best to sit back and stay out of it.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...cDJW_blog.html

Old
07-02-2012, 07:11 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Who did you want them to sign in free agency? They aren't going to do anything stupid.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012...deepest-crop/2

The free agent market stinks. The CBA is expiring. Everyone is not as smart as the Calgary Flames to invest nearly $10M in Wideman and Hudler.
Precisely. There may be some real steals available after a new CBA eventually forces capped out teams to bargain off some real assets. I have been saying this for some time. Patience...

Closed Thread