HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Sit and Think Things Through Thoroughly (Matt Carle signed with Tampa Bay)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Let's suppose the Flyers signs one or both of Parise and Suter. They will then have to dump salary, right? and if they decide to move Briere, what else will be involved? I am assuming Holmgren would have to trade Briere plus 1st or 2nd round pick for some team's scrub salary dump, like Matt Walker 2.0, or do you think there actually would be a demand for Briere?
I would think there would be demand for the leading playoff scorer since the lockout.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Why would you dump Mez over Briere (assuming they can get him to waive)? If your goal is to improve defensively you get rid of your worst defensive player and keep your depth on D.
Oh trust me, I'm probably among the most Briere's biggest critics on this board, I just think: 1) he won't waive his NMC, and 2) the Flyers won't ask him to, unless they have no other choice.

EDIT: I also think it is a year premature to move Briere--his salary still exceeds his cap hit this year, and I'd prefer Schenn and Couturier get another year to work their way into the 2/3C positions...

Old
07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I would think there would be demand for the leading playoff scorer since the lockout.
Good stat to bring up. I was just afraid that if it came to moving him, other teams would see the Flyer's cap problems and try to screw us over.

Old
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Oh trust me, I'm probably among the most Briere's biggest critics on this board, I just think: 1) he won't waive his NMC, and 2) the Flyers won't ask him to, unless they have no other choice.
i think we could trade him to nj/caps/rangers/isles...somewhere that could keep him relatively close with his family...it'd suck trading him in division though

Old
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Theres not a chance we move Briere. His family lives here, he has a Full NMC, hes been welcoming in the kids that have been playing for us. If there is one player that could really hurt us as far as moving contracts go Briere is the biggest one

Old
07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

EDIT: I also think it is a year premature to move Briere--his salary still exceeds his cap hit this year, and I'd prefer Schenn and Couturier get another year to work their way into the 2/3C positions...
It seems like a pipe dream, but perhaps Nanne has heard something. I don't think it is premature because if he further declines next year then you are stuck.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
It seems like a pipe dream, but perhaps Nanne has heard something. I don't think it is premature because if he further declines next year then you are stuck.
It is a risk, to be sure, but next year he becomes valuable to bring a team to the salary floor. He's only owed $5 million combined over his last two seasons--on a $6.5 cap hit.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
I didn't look up stats, but he might be the most scored on forward 5vs5. He's a one dimensional 6.5m deal.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Not if team's know the Flyers need to dump salary. People thought Gagne would be worth more than Matt Walker and a 4th round pick.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
It is a risk, to be sure, but next year he becomes valuable to bring a team to the salary floor. He's only owed $5 million combined over his last two seasons--on a $6.5 cap hit.
When is the last time a floor team traded for someone's cap hit? I doubt he will be any more valuable and I don't see him waiving to go to a floor team.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
It's the first time I can recall in recent memory that an executive from another team went on record as to what another team plans to do with a player

Old
07-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Not if team's know the Flyers need to dump salary. People thought Gagne would be worth more than Matt Walker and a 4th round pick.
He most likely was, but Gags would only waive to go to TB.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
When is the last time a floor team traded for someone's cap hit? I doubt he will be any more valuable and I don't see him waiving to go to a floor team.
Eh, at the time of the deal, wasn't that the primary interpretation of the Brian Campbell deal?

(Granted, that worked out well for Florida, but the hypothetical situation doesn't seem that different, does it?)

Old
07-02-2012, 08:11 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Why would you dump Mez over Briere (assuming they can get him to waive)? If your goal is to improve defensively you get rid of your worst defensive player and keep your depth on D.
Bourdon is about the same player as Mez and is a lot cheaper. Briere is one of our top playoff performers. With that being said I wouldn't mind Briere being traded but that is only if they sign Parise and Suter and then re-sign Voracek. There would be teams out there willing to get Briere, but would Briere be willing to move is the question.

Last edited by flyersfan187: 07-02-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old
07-02-2012, 08:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Ott and Kaleta 4 times next year? Better see Sestito in those games.
Was thinking the same thing. And bring in John Scott to fight all their battles for them. I'm sure Lucic will be a target for those two after the Miller thing last year.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
bp spec

vCash: 0
Mesz is way better than Bourdon. Pretty similar players but Meszaros is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Was thinking the same thing. And bring in John Scott to fight all their battles for them. I'm sure Lucic will be a target for those two after the Miller thing last year.
Rinaldo and Simmer centered by Sestito. Let's go.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Jokinen to the Jets.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Rinaldo and Simmer centered by Sestito. Let's go.
I hope this is a joke, because that would be amongst the worst lines I've ever seen. Even Rinaldo - Talbot - Sestito would be a nightmare.

The Flyers would never trade Briere. Just won't happen. Yes, it makes sense from a dollars and sense standpoint, but from a roster management perspective and team leadership perspective, it doesn't.

Bourdon is no longer waiver exempt. Lilja is a 35+. If we add Suter (or in some fantasy land, both guys), we are carrying 8 defensemen on our roster. Meszaros would get moved for a pick.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
RT @Aportzline: Would not be surprised if #CBJ had Rick Nash talks with #Sabres, per RDS report, as GM Scott Howson is willing to talk w all teams.

RT @Aportzline: Can confirm, however, the #Sabres are not on Nash's approved list of teams to which he'd accept trade.

RT @Aportzline: #CBJ GM Scott Howson has talked w all clubs with the hope Nash and his agent, Joe Resnick, would expand the list. No sign of that happening.

For wanting out so bad, sure is making it hard to do.

Indeed. Keep in mind that there is a lot of ego and emotion involved between Howson and Nash, at least going back to Howson throwing Nash under the bus after the deadline last year. Don't presume that you're looking at purely rational actors here.

Howson is not making it easy on Nash (astronomically high, self-defeating asking price) and Nash is not making it easy on Howson (overly restrictive list of approved teams). It's really turning into a staring contest between Howson and Nash, and Howson and other GMs. It seems like a very toxic situation that could drag on for a long time.

I think Columbus' best option is just to fire Howson and hope for a detente with Nash, hopefully to the point that they can cordially work out a trade that works for everyone (Columbus, Nash, some other team) this summer.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:37 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Briere has personal reasons for never waving. Go through the NJ court system with custody and you'd rather slit your neck with a skate.

Also, the Flyers have to stop asking players to wave. Their credibility is trash.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Eh, at the time of the deal, wasn't that the primary interpretation of the Brian Campbell deal?

(Granted, that worked out well for Florida, but the hypothetical situation doesn't seem that different, does it?)
He was acquired by the guy who signed him to that contract. Was that his primary goal in acquiring him?

Old
07-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Indeed. Keep in mind that there is a lot of ego and emotion involved between Howson and Nash, at least going back to Howson throwing Nash under the bus after the deadline last year. Don't presume that you're looking at purely rational actors here.

Howson is not making it easy on Nash (astronomically high, self-defeating asking price) and Nash is not making it easy on Howson (overly restrictive list of approved teams). It's really turning into a staring contest between Howson and Nash, and Howson and other GMs. It seems like a very toxic situation that could drag on for a long time.

I think Columbus' best option is just to fire Howson and hope for a detente with Nash, hopefully to the point that they can cordially work out a trade that works for everyone (Columbus, Nash, some other team) this summer.
This is a very well thought out point that had not even crossed my mind at all for all of the parties involved.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
He was acquired by the guy who signed him to that contract. Was that his primary goal in acquiring him?
I'm saying, at the time, most observers thought Campbell's value to the Panthers was two-fold--both his ability to QB the PP, and his ability to bring them a bit closer to the cap floor.

I'm not saying someone will acquire Briere simply as a cap dump; I'm saying that, if the floor doesn't go down under the new CBA (a real possibility) that Briere's value to some teams might be enhanced by his salary-AAV, in addition to what he brings on the ice.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Briere has personal reasons for never waving. Go through the NJ court system with custody and you'd rather slit your neck with a skate.

Also, the Flyers have to stop asking players to wave. Their credibility is trash.
Aside from Gagne, who's the last player that they asked to waive?

Old
07-02-2012, 08:47 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Briere is probably my favorite current Flyer. I'd be sad to see him go.

EDIT: Besides Leighton, of course.

Closed Thread