HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philly fans predict: Who is playoff darkhorse?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2006, 03:32 PM
  #101
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 19,870
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
so your argument then would be that 9 game streaks are normal? that we can accept them as a normal thing that most teams, even good teams, have? you know as well as i do that 9 game win streaks are uncommon, even for very good teams... especially when they sandwich a sub .500 23 game stretch. that's just odd. it isn't like they lost then went back to winning at a good clip... they struggled... then suddenly started winning every game again.

it's odd.

it's an anomaly ("Deviation or departure from the normal or common order, form, or rule. ").
When a team is playing at their peak, no it's not a anomaly as one that you re trying to suggest. I mean have you even watched any of the games that the Devils have played during this streak minus the Flyers games?

They are dictating how the games are being played with their style of play, after we played Carolina Matt Cullen said the Devils were the toughest team that they have played all season, that they have four good lines that never stop coming at you.

Your problem is you want to ignore the fact that we are finally seeing the real Devils team instead of the one who in the first half of the season when the Devils had faced so much adversity such as their head coach stepping down because of cancer, their best player missing the first half of the season due to illness, our defensive corp bring in total disarray due to Stevens retiring and Neidermeyer skipping ship and Lou's bad signings of Malakov, McGillis, Mogilny, a Head Coach who's heart was not into taking over the reins and a team as a whole that was playing perhaps their worst hockey over a decade.

My guess is this is the team you want or hope will show up in the playoffs, not the one now that has put away or settled any problems that they have has in the first half of the season and have looked like they have settled into a well oiled machine. One that has always strike fear of opponents come playoff time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
so, i'm going to assume that we can agree that the 9 game streaks are slightly anomalous. doesn't mean that i think they would have gone 4-5 or something, but lets just say that 6-3 is much more the norm of things... hell, you can shed those wins into the 10-13 stretch (which would make them make a TON more sense to understand).
Wow, I can't believe the lengths you are going to dismiss these winning streaks, seriously Jester, your acting like this a fluke. You can tell me your not but you are.

A nine game winning streak for the Islanders could be consider a anomaly because they have never done it with this current team before and have been an also-ran for the past decade or so, but to suggest a team that has won multiple cups over the past decade and has had MANY winning streaks like this one including this season, I fail to see how in the hell this can be consider such an anomaly as you are trying to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
the problem with your claim that they've suddenly become this good road team is difficult to clarify because it deals with what i consider to anomalies... where they were playing exceptionally well... in fact, one can argue the ONLY reason they stopped playing so well is because they returned to normal on the road...

during that 23 game stretch....

10-13 total

3-9 on the road

7-4 at home.
What stretch are you talking about? The one after the first nine game winning streak? That 10-13 record was helped by a string of games where they went 1-5, but of course that's not an anomaly right? It's only an anomaly when the Devils win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
you're also latched onto this road argument, which i think is a very interesting one... but the argument actually started with are they a darkhorse? which i didn't think they were when the thread was originally started... now, i admit, they are a much murkier thing to figure out. how do you tell what they are? cuz they just don't make any sense... if you look at their record and think to yourself, "makes sense..." fine... but i don't think that's possible.
They have been an ignima this season, but you need to understand they have been this for good reason as the reasons I stated above about the many troubles they had to endure in the first half the season - sick head coach and sick Elias among other problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
it's an odd team. they're also primed for Brodeur to go back into one of his funks.
Broduer is primed to go into a funk? Based on exactly what? He very well might, but I'm curious if you have anything to back this up or perhaps it more wishful thinking than anything else.

__________________
1995, 2000, 2003..........
Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 04:10 PM
  #102
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
it's an odd team. they're also primed for Brodeur to go back into one of his funks.
You know, Jester, I was about to give a long winded reply, but this sentence clearly indicates to me that it would be wasted on you.

I think you have Brodeur confused with either Esche or Niittymaki. What on earth leads to to believe that Brodeur is primed to go back into one of his funks? But, even if he is, the Flyers would be lucky if either of their goalies played as well as Brodeur plays in one of his "funks" given that his GAA and save %age during these "funks" are about the same as Esche and Niitymaki's stats for the season.

You are so fixated on what happened earlier in the season when Elias was out and they had a different coach. They now have developed chemistry on 3 different lines and their defense is playing really solid. The fact that they are the least penalized team in the league makes them even more dangerous since they are so good at even strength.

Anyway, if you want to bury your head in the sand and think that the Devils aren't that good feel free.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2006, 12:12 PM
  #103
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
You know, Jester, I was about to give a long winded reply, but this sentence clearly indicates to me that it would be wasted on you.

I think you have Brodeur confused with either Esche or Niittymaki. What on earth leads to to believe that Brodeur is primed to go back into one of his funks? But, even if he is, the Flyers would be lucky if either of their goalies played as well as Brodeur plays in one of his "funks" given that his GAA and save %age during these "funks" are about the same as Esche and Niitymaki's stats for the season.

You are so fixated on what happened earlier in the season when Elias was out and they had a different coach. They now have developed chemistry on 3 different lines and their defense is playing really solid. The fact that they are the least penalized team in the league makes them even more dangerous since they are so good at even strength.

Anyway, if you want to bury your head in the sand and think that the Devils aren't that good feel free.
do me a favor... write the long winded reply... and then LOOK AT BRODEUR'S stats that BACK-UP that statement and try to deal with fitting that in your reply. or do i need to remind you that i can make a strong argument that the Devil's lost in five to the Flyers last time around because Marty was in one of his funks... which have continued throughout this season?

actually... here you go again...

Brodeur SVPCT by month
.883
.902
.901
.938
.923
.896
.935

wow... that's all over the place! and WOW it directly correlates to the success of the Devils... whereas our success has very little to do with our goaltenders since they've been pretty consistent at the .900% throughout the season. prior to this stretch Brodeur was a friggin seive... he had back to back games where he gave up 6 goals. this isn't the Brodeur of the mid 90's... he can still be very good at times, but he lacks consistency.

and READ what i friggin wrote dude. i don't know WHAT they are. they've gone 28-9-4 since december, which is absurd. but had a 23 game stretch where they went 10-13 and 3-9 on the friggin road.... FOLLOWING 9 straight wins. that's friggin absurd... then they go back on another tear. both of which directly correlate, as said, to Marty getting hot for a bit...

that's an odd team... but your love affair with Marty is based on his play in the past... yes, he's better than either goalie that we have... but he's simply not the boogie-monster that he once was.

and there are only two teams in the East that have been pretty consistently good this year...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2006, 12:33 PM
  #104
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Wow, I can't believe the lengths you are going to dismiss these winning streaks, seriously Jester, your acting like this a fluke. You can tell me your not but you are.

A nine game winning streak for the Islanders could be consider a anomaly because they have never done it with this current team before and have been an also-ran for the past decade or so, but to suggest a team that has won multiple cups over the past decade and has had MANY winning streaks like this one including this season, I fail to see how in the hell this can be consider such an anomaly as you are trying to do.
i'm sorry... what do the cup teams have to do with this version of the team? i'm not acting like it's a fluke, i'm acting like it's odd... which it is. the breakdown of their record is odd?

take off your red and white goggles for a moment and look at it this way... if i presented you with a team that played 40 games that broke down like this...

9-0-0
10-9-4
9-0-0

...you wouldn't view that as slightly odd? what the hell happened to the team that went 9-0-0? at best that simply represents inconsistent play (in fact, if you look at the statistics it represents inconsistent play from Brodeur.). i state at the outset that 9-0-0 is anomalous for ANY team in the NHL... let alone one that is playing the level of competition that the Devils have been playing of late. more to the point, it's clearly made strange by the fact that they then didn't follow that up with good play... if they'd gone and maintained a high win-rate following the original streak, it would make more sense... they didn't. the Red Wings taking care of business against the Central slop is one thing, but teams generally don't rake off 9 game winning streaks in the NHL against good opposition.

then you consider that they were a sub .500 team prior to the first winning streak... you can say it correlates to the return of Elias... fine. however, he was also present for that 10-9-4 thing... so it doesn't directly correlate to him either (again, it does correlate to Brodeur).

their 28-9-4 record is strange... as i said, it would make much more sense if they simply won with some consistency throughout it, but they didn't... did they?

whatever dude... we disagree. that's fine... never in here have i said that they are a bad team... i've simply said i don't fear them and don't think that they were a cup contender this season (we will note that the thread is Philly fans predict: Who is the playoff darkhorse?, so why you've taken such umbrage to my opinion is beyond me... i don't think you're a playoff darkhorse... get over it. nor are you a "Philly fan." you can go state that you don't think WE'RE a playoff contender... would i care? no.)

if you think the way the Devils have played this season makes any sense, great for you. i don't. oh well. if they play like they are right now, more importantly if Brodeur continues to be in the .920+ svpct area, the stats state that they will be a tough team to beat in the playoffs. the stats also say that if Brodeur goes back to the .900 svpct stretches he's had this season as well they will be in trouble... because they don't score enough to make up for that.

the playoffs are around the corner -- thank god -- we'll see how everyone does. personally, i think the East is going to quickly turn into utter chaos. as stated above, the only team i would wager on winning in the first round is Ottawa... everyone else is suspect.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.