HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Colorado signs D Greg Zanon (2 years, $4.5 million - $2.25m AAV)

Old
07-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I think AB hit it right on the head when he said he may very well be the Avs best defensive d-man. This is a very good signing.
Not even close. ROB and Hejda are ahead of him at this point in his career.

He's not bad, but he's pretty clearly a backup option that will fight with SOB in camp and be used as an injury fill in or an added dimension on the 3rd pairing if we let SOB Orr it up a bit.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Kloparren
Hth

vCash: 500
Lol Ducks just overpaid for Souray. Makes me feel better about this. Either get a top pairing guy and overpay but not that.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Drizzt1

Maybe Peter Chiarelli got on the phone to Sherman, and said:

"Hey, you know how you took Hunwick off our hands, and we ended up winning a Stanley Cup. Is there any chance we can dump Greg Zanon onto you, so we can buy some GOOD defensemen as well, and do something NEXT season?".

Sherman replies. "Yes sir, where do I sign".

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:24 PM
danmcn12
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
So they go from almost signing 6'4" 237 lb mean nasty, willing to scrap anyone Matt Carkner, to an average sized 5'11" 201 lb Zanon who isn't very physical at all. Zanon had 18 PIMS in 56 games last year. Carkner put up 136 PIMS in 50 games a couple seasons ago.

What are the Avs going for here? Anyone they can find that can't score? I feel a Bouwmeester trade for Wilson and Sgarbossa coming on.
Zanon is a quality NHL defensemen though. If Hejda, SoB, Wilson etc. struggle again like they did last year they can be sat or role diminished by Hunwick/Zanon. Carkner could not take minutes for Hejda it would be mental. Zanon, Hejda, RoB, and EJ sounds like a very good PK unit as well.

EJ still needs a partner though. As of now, it looks like Hejda will be paired again with EJ to start the season

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Upset because we signed Zanon and not Koci 2.0? Come on guys.

This management and organization just can't win no matter what they do.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

He's not bad, but he's pretty clearly a backup option that will fight with SOB in camp and be used as an injury fill in or an added dimension on the 3rd pairing if we let SOB Orr it up a bit.
Lol you guys sure do like to build guys up. First Jay McClement is some sort of defensive/PK DEMIGOD who is WORTH TWICE the amount he eventually got as a UFA and now Ryan O'Byrne is a defensive stalwart??

I like Hejda and RoB just fine but Zanon is at least as good as those guys defensively. You can believe what you want.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:56 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
I feel bad for this dude. We are underwhelmed with his signing, but watch him be a tough, shot blocking, PKing menace for us. He's not a bad player at all.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:19 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I feel bad for this dude. We are underwhelmed with his signing, but watch him be a tough, shot blocking, PKing menace for us. He's not a bad player at all.
I agree. I think he'll end up being liked, while guys like SOB and maybe Wilson (depending which version we get) will be goats.

BoxOfChocolates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

We didn't have enough depth defensemen!?

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
BoxOfChocolates

With the Carkner situation, it seems pretty clear that the Avs were targeting a bottom pairing guy from the get go.

Something else must be up.

BoxOfChocolates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:30 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
With the Carkner situation, it seems pretty clear that the Avs were targeting a bottom pairing guy from the get go.
Yeah, seriously, let's be extremely thankful we ended up with Zanon as opposed to Carkner. Zanon can actually play.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:08 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

we didnt have him for long, but I liked him. im sure its been said but he is a good shot blocker and decent hitter. you can feel comfortable with him on the ice... will be a good 2nd or 3rd pairing dman

between him and PAP you guys look like you guys are gonna be in good shape this year.

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Maybe Peter Chiarelli got on the phone to Sherman, and said:

"Hey, you know how you took Hunwick off our hands, and we ended up winning a Stanley Cup. Is there any chance we can dump Greg Zanon onto you, so we can buy some GOOD defensemen as well, and do something NEXT season?".

Sherman replies. "Yes sir, where do I sign".
Hunwick was pretty brutal post-trade but to be fair he was a breath of fresh air last season. The team needs transition and Hunwick provides it, he's a good bottom pairing option. Zanon is a defensive upgrade to pretty much everyone on the blue line with the exception of EJ possibly, the Zanon signing is great. We have redundancy in terms of O'Brien, Wilson, etc., but Zanon is a step above in defensive quality. Keep Zanon (obviously) and get rid some of the excess via some transaction that makes sense...strongly expect a trade in upcoming days.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
I think there will be a trade. Like I said yesterday, Jan Hejda could be a candidate. Again, while he had a solid(ish) year, he's 34 and was -17.

As evidenced by a number of signings today - Souray at 3.66, Allen at 3.5, Kuba at 4.0 - I doubt a team desperate for defense will have any qualms about paying Hejda 3.25 for a few seasons. Even though I don't think it's the best idea, remove Hejda from the picture and Greg Zanon at 2.25 million isn't looking so strange, is it?

I think Sherman has a few defensive upgrades in mind and wants to keep his options open, so he signed a solid depth guy that he knows will be useful no matter what ends up happening. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll be shocked if Colorado goes into the season with the seven veteran defensemen they have signed/hold the rights to.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcn12 View Post
Zanon is a quality NHL defensemen though. If Hejda, SoB, Wilson etc. struggle again like they did last year they can be sat or role diminished by Hunwick/Zanon. Carkner could not take minutes for Hejda it would be mental. Zanon, Hejda, RoB, and EJ sounds like a very good PK unit as well.

EJ still needs a partner though. As of now, it looks like Hejda will be paired again with EJ to start the season
Oh I won't argue that Zanon is a better defenseman. Was just trying to figure out how they went from Carkner to Zanon for the same role.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:25 AM
SuperJoe

vCash: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Yeah, seriously, let's be extremely thankful we ended up with Zanon as opposed to Carkner. Zanon can actually play.
Oh don't worry I'm extremely grateful we ended up getting Zanon, but the problem is we have one # 1-2 dman and a big void and a bunch of 5-6-7( ok maybe we have a#4 hidden in there) I like our depth, but missing one big piece lets hope Shermy has something cooking.

SuperJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Oh I won't argue that Zanon is a better defenseman. Was just trying to figure out how they went from Carkner to Zanon for the same role.
my guess is because Carkner is a mean SOB and a righty.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:15 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Redundant signing, even with Hejda being on the shelf to start the year potentially. Not sure what we're doing with our D, but it's kind of embarrassing.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Foppa Frossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Redundant signing, even with Hejda being on the shelf to start the year potentially. Not sure what we're doing with our D, but it's kind of embarrassing.
I came in here specifically to see if you were "not crazy about the signing"

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
I came in here specifically to see if you were "not crazy about the signing"
Yep. Not a fan of what we've done so far, even with a bad market this year.

Old
07-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Yep. Not a fan of what we've done so far, even with a bad market this year.
The alternatives being?

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:39 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
The alternatives being?
Give minutes to guys like Gaunce, Elliott and Barrie instead of signing journeymen, average D.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Give minutes to guys like Gaunce, Elliott and Barrie instead of signing journeymen, average D.
I'd rather keep them as a group in LEM and give them a chance to rack up some wins.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Balls on the table!

vCash: 140
well ****

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:45 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Are ahead of him at what?

Hejda? I can be on board with that, because in the last 30 games of last season, Hejda's defensive play was wholly acceptable. But, O'B?

Ryan O'Byrne is a decent depth player, and an easy guy to pull for. He plays about the same decent game every night, is reasonably positioned most shifts, and doesn't hurt the team in most cases. I like him...

<pause>

...when he's playing against depth lines or killing penalties, when his lack of mobility doesn't hurt him.

O'Byrne is a really slow and relatively non-mobile hockey player. I'm not trying to produce criticism out of pixie dust, but he's just limited in that way. Which is a big deal, when defending top offensive players. The man simply cannot play top D-line minutes, unless they're on the PK.

In short, I do not believe he is the equal of either Hejda or Zanon defenisvely.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote