HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergevin news confrence at 4:30

Old
07-02-2012, 06:12 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Only team I see us finishing ahead of in our division is Toronto.
As of now? I can see them beating us too.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:14 PM
shutehinside

As for Gomez, he'll probably stay with the big club if they don't need the cap space. To what capacity I have no idea but it seems like the Habs will do that. It gives them more options should they need the space to trade or sign a player they really want, especially once the season starts and teams have their rosters set. There's always a couple of guys like Nash etc that come on the market and teams don't have the cap to take them on. Gomez to the minors gets us there if need be.
Who knows maybe he'll be better with Therrien if he does stay on.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
I think MB might be about done. Hes the new GM of a bottom dweller team, GMs in that boat anyway have to be given 5-6 years to do their thing, like BG was. If thats the case then players MB drafted this year and next will be hitting the big club before those 5-6 years, maybe 1 or 2 alot sooner. Now MB does have some very good young players who will be in their prime for the next 5-6 years. He also has a flood of young guys hitting the Bulldogs , who will need a couple of years of seasonong for the most part.
I had badly wanted a big, defensive, hitting D-man for the top 4. Yeah, I figured a solid player in that mold would want a multi-million ( $3.5M-$4M) multi-year contract (4-5 ) and I thought that would be fine. So MB gets Cubes, on a 1 year deal. Didnt get it. Well, there is Emelin, not a young guy but young to the NHL. He absolutely has the potential to be a top 4 player , but wouldnt get that chance if we signed a player like that long term. We should likely know if Emelin can do it this year because that will be 2 years of getting used to the NHL game.
I think MB is wary of risky contracts for lots of bucks and lots of years. Moen and Prust arent risky, while they may slow a step I think both these guys will be delivering what we signed them for until their contract is up. The last couple of years they will be around when young guys start making their mark with the big team.
Anyway, I think it may be possible MB is okay with not doing anything big or dramatic this year. Still think we need a skilled player for Eller because if we have any hopes of him being a point producer of any level, he needs to develop his offensive skills.
if he's done, hello tankers

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Right now the only team in the east I feel comfortable saying we are better than is the Islanders. Maybe if the Devils take a major step back due to their money issue.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:18 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I didn't say cup contender, I said good one... Nash, Ryan, maybe both Kanes, maybe more, we don't know.

All prospects, except Gally, are available + Gionta, maybe Cole and Plekky (depending on the reurn cause these guys are gold)... + draft picks...

Also, Salavador on the market would be a solid signing...
No one in our organization other than Pacioretty and our firsts would even be remotely attractive in getting these guys here.
I'd say wait it out. We saw we had a bad season, ended up with a good crop of prospects, and we're all still alive. FA patch jobs don't win cups. I wouldn't go for top FAs for the next few years, until we're actually poised to make a run.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:22 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
According to capgeek. Habs have only:

Diaz
Subban
St Denis
Eller
Geoffrion
Palushaj

to sign and have 17+ mil in capspace. nearly 25 mil if you remove Gomez's contract. Do you REALLY believe we need 25 mil?

What makes the scenario even more underwhelming is the fact with those 3 D signed, habs will have:

Subban
Markov
Gorges
Emelin
Diaz
Weber
Boullion
Kaberle

on D

with St. Denis, Nash, Beaulieu, Tinordi as backup.

We have 17 mil with 8 NHL D lol. I'd imagine one even gets moved.

Unless we get a big fish(and even then, 17 mil!!!) Gomez won't be sent down because we're doing nothing with the space.
Maybe they haven't updated yet? I thought we had $17M before the Price signing?

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:23 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Maybe they haven't updated yet? I thought we had $17M before the Price signing?
http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=2

Price is listed. I didn't bother counting them up manually though.

Oops, i looked at wrong year, thought it was 2011-2012 on first. So 8 mil.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:24 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=2

Price is listed. I didn't bother counting them up manually though.
You're looking at the wrong column I think.

Edit: Quoted before you edited. Oops.

07-02-2012, 06:25 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
You're looking at the wrong column I think.
Yup. I'm so used to 2011-2012 being first column. My bad. Already edited. I still think we can sign everyone and keep Gomez. Only way he goes down is if we need it.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:55 PM
WhiskeySeven

You guys really need to lay off of Rene Bourque, the vitriol is getting to your heads. It's like a negative feedback loop at this point; just shut up till the season starts.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
HomaridII

IMO it came down to this:

Do they invest in a long term deal with Parenteau or Hudler considering that Gallagher, Kristo and co. are probably 1 season away from the team.

That is what it came down to in the end IMO, they did not want to give a long term deal that would take a top 6 spot away from Gallagher, Kristo and the other prospects we have in the system. With Parenteau or Hudler in the lineup, those guys wouldn't have played in our top 6 when they came up.

Remember Savard said to Stubbs that the team needed to be patient and let the prospects develop, Brisebois said the same ..

Only thing I would ask is why didn't they want Jagr on a 1 year deal?

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Schwang

Quote:
The Leafs? Really?! How does everyone forget we lost over 400 man games to injury last year? The Leafs barely finished ahead of us. They lost their hardest hitting defenceman and their goaltending is questionable at best. A healthy Habs team is tougher and will easily finish ahead of them.

Some of you guys really undervalue this team. We lost no one significant and aquired more size and toughness. Sometimes I think people will only be satified if we sign Crosby and Malkin!

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:17 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
The Leafs? Really?! How does everyone forget we lost over 400 man games to injury last year? The Leafs barely finished ahead of us. They lost their hardest hitting defenceman and their goaltending is questionable at best. A healthy Habs team is tougher and will easily finish ahead of them.

Some of you guys really undervalue this team. We lost no one significant and aquired more size and toughness. Sometimes I think people will only be satified if we sign Crosby and Malkin!
We did lose some considerable offensive depth. Everything else seems improved, albeit marginally.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:20 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
You guys really need to lay off of Rene Bourque, the vitriol is getting to your heads. It's like a negative feedback loop at this point; just shut up till the season starts.
Clap clap

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Only team I see us finishing ahead of in our division is Toronto.
Thomas is out in Boston. Corvo gone too, don't think they added anybody.

Ottawa was a pretty big fluke last year after everybody expected them bottom 5.

Buffalo just traded their top(should be) for a 3rd liner.

I wouldn't bet against the habs finishing 1st or 2nd in the division as things stand. Last year everything went pretty much worst case scenario, plus we have added a lot of solid character guys and Markov and Gio should be back. I still see us adding a top 6 winger(UFA or trade) in the next 5-6 weeks.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post

Do they invest in a long term deal with Parenteau or Hudler considering that Gallagher, Kristo and co. are probably 1 season away from the team.

That is what it came down to in the end IMO, they did not want to give a long term deal that would take a top 6 spot away from Gallagher, Kristo and the other prospects we have in the system. With Parenteau or Hudler in the lineup, those guys wouldn't have played in our top 6 when they came up.

Remember Savard said to Stubbs that the team needed to be patient and let the prospects develop, Brisebois said the same ..

Last time I checked Jagr is still unsigned, what makes you think they don't want him?

I heard they want Doan too, not sure if they can do both.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post

I'm not convinced that Bergevin did not make a great offer to Jagr. He and his agent are notorious for being difficult to negociate with.

It may be that MB got fed up with the BS and told them to FU.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post

Well said friend. We have to be better assuming Markov, Gionta, and Moen are healthy, and hoping management can light a fire under Mr Bourque (can't be worse).

Not to mention the 3 new Amigos and the continued improvement of our youth.

It's not all Doom and Gloom fellows. I'm sorry you didn't get your tired 40 year old European who faded away last year. Life is like a box of chocolate - you never know what you are going to get.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
if he's done, hello tankers
If he's done, there's too much talent on the roster to really tank. It's really more of a 9-10th place situation.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:46 PM
le_sean

Yes, Bourque is lazy, but he's paid $3.3 million a year. That's really nothing for a guy that should pot 20-25 goals.

Stop looking at him as the guy who replaced Cammalleri.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:53 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Yes, Bourque is lazy, but he's paid $3.3 million a year. That's really nothing for a guy that should pot 20-25 goals.

I just look at him like the guy who has to play in our top 6 because we have no one else.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

When I look at him I recall his half a season with our team getting ample icetime and playing poorly offensively and defensively.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 07:58 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I just look at him like the guy who has to play in our top 6 because we have no one else.
Certainly isn't his fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
When I look at him I recall his half a season with our team getting ample icetime and playing poorly offensively and defensively.
He's the 8th highest paid skater on the team. We need to expect a bit less.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Certainly isn't his fault.

He's the 8th highest paid skater on the team. We need to expect a bit less.
All I want is around 40 points and him actually being a little physical here and there. Pretty much a lesser Kostitsyn. 8 points in 38 games would be bad even for Moen. Heck Prust can probably outproduce that. Not too much to ask from the 5th highest paid forward on the team IMO.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:07 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Yes, so yes.

The guy has speed, size, can chuck 'em, can hit and he's coming off an awful season and signed for 4 more.

Get rid of him?!

Why!

Give the guy a chance. Especially since if he doesn't find his way with the team and the way THEY need him to play he'll be gone.

I can see the Habs having a great positive effect on Bourque and him becoming comfortable in more of a checking role and throwing his body far more as well.

I look forward to January 1 when the Habs are firmly in the playoffs. Or at very least on their way to a very respectable 10th place 18th overall finish.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote