HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Free Agent Sit and Think Things Through Thoroughly (Matt Carle signed with Tampa Bay)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 08:52 PM
ilovetheflyers8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheroc87 View Post
roy being moved opens up a spot in buffalo for briere?... maybe if the sabres cant get ryan and the unlikely event both suter and parise sign with flyers
I don't think Briere wants to leave the Flyers he's got 3 kids under 18 who have been living in the area for the past 5 years, and since he is divorced I'm sure he has some sort of custody agreement with her. If he moves to upstate NY he might not be able to maintain that custody as it is a lot to ask your ex-wife to relocate with you for your job.

edit- I don't know that his wife is still in the area or that they have joint custody but I imagine she must be and that they do because Briere is obviously out of town sometimes, so someone has to be with his kids.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
This is a very well thought out point that had not even crossed my mind at all for all of the parties involved.
It's like a bad relationship where each person tries to make life miserable for the other one and they just spin their wheels on any effort to get out of it. No wonder other GMs are having so much trouble dealing with them.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I don't think Briere wants to leave the Flyers he's got 3 kids under 18 who have been living in the area for the past 5 years, and since he is divorced I'm sure he has some sort of custody agreement with her. If he moves to upstate NY he might not be able to maintain that custody as it is a lot to ask your ex-wife to relocate with you for your job.

edit- I don't know that his wife is still in the area or that they have joint custody but I imagine she must be and that they do because Briere is obviously out of town sometimes, so someone has to be with his kids.
Yeah I don't know what type of custody they have, but the law in PA (don't know if that's where the divorce is) is that the parent proposing relocation has to prove the potential advantages, integrity of the motives, and availability of alternative or substantive visitation. So basically it wouldn't really be an issue.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Psuhockey

The best scenario would be Parise to the wild, Suter to the Preds, then the Flyers offer sheet Weber with a giant offer sheet, something with 14 mil per the 1st 3 years as a bonus. If the Flyers went something like 12 x 8.5 mostly front loaded, no way Nashville could match, especially after signing Suter.

Old
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah I don't know what type of custody they have, but the law in PA (don't know if that's where the divorce is) is that the parent proposing relocation has to prove the potential advantages, integrity of the motives, and availability of alternative or substantive visitation. So basically it wouldn't really be an issue.
Lol, I know why you know that and it makes me so sad and reminds me of my hell hahahaha.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Indeed. Keep in mind that there is a lot of ego and emotion involved between Howson and Nash, at least going back to Howson throwing Nash under the bus after the deadline last year. Don't presume that you're looking at purely rational actors here.

Howson is not making it easy on Nash (astronomically high, self-defeating asking price) and Nash is not making it easy on Howson (overly restrictive list of approved teams). It's really turning into a staring contest between Howson and Nash, and Howson and other GMs. It seems like a very toxic situation that could drag on for a long time.

I think Columbus' best option is just to fire Howson and hope for a detente with Nash, hopefully to the point that they can cordially work out a trade that works for everyone (Columbus, Nash, some other team) this summer.
They're not going to fire Howson during the off-season, it was a mistake that they didn't do it sometime between November and April.

This isn't even a trade he should be making. I do think this will go on all summer.

If I was Howson, and he isn't traded within a week, I do what Bryan Murray did with Heatley and tell his agent: "I had deals to get him out of here, he wouldn't go. I'm going home for the summer, you talk to the teams, let me know what happens, and we'll see if I like what you come up with."

Remember it's not Howson's job to trade him to the Rangers, it's his job to get the best deal/deal he likes/is satisfied with. Sometimes the situation works out smoothly with the team on the list willing to part with pieces. Even though Nash is within his rights have a full no-move, Howson can and should try to get him to open up the list.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Lol, I know why you know that and it makes me so sad and reminds me of my hell hahahaha.
Haha.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:22 PM
BringBackStevens

Moving briere for room for parise would be brilliant. Therefore it will not happen

Old
07-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
The best scenario would be Parise to the wild, Suter to the Preds, then the Flyers offer sheet Weber with a giant offer sheet, something with 14 mil per the 1st 3 years as a bonus. If the Flyers went something like 12 x 8.5 mostly front loaded, no way Nashville could match, especially after signing Suter.
They offered Weber the same deal as Suter so they are prepared to keep both with massive deals.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Moving briere for room for parise would be brilliant. Therefore it will not happen
Yeah it would be pretty amazing. I don't think it would happen, and I really like Briere so I'd be bummed to see him go. They could easily fit Suter AND Parise under the cap if they did that. But again, I don't see it happening. It would be surprising if Briere waived, and I think that would be detrimental to the team's morale, not just on the ice. He seems to be a GREAT off-ice guy especially with the young kids. But, they'd get over it though and the on-ice product would be exciting to watch.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
They offered Weber the same deal as Suter so they are prepared to keep both with massive deals.
The teams' worth as of 2011 was 163 million according to forbes. They were also losing money. I have read those same articles/stories that said they had two massive deals on the table for those players but I doubt if they could pay out the signing bonuses the first year on those players. That would be two payments each of 14 mil in a calendar year, or 56 million. If these guys are getting well over 100 mil long term, they would be combined worth more than the franchise.

Old
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Parise WHY YOU NO DECIDE?!

Old
feedingschennzy

Quote:

Guys he lives in South Jersey, and among the VERY few teams he'd accept a trade to, one is buffalo I know for fact

Old
07-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugan View Post
Guys he lives in South Jersey, and among the VERY few teams he'd accept a trade to, one is buffalo I know for fact
I believe this is the second time I saw you say this, how do you know this as a fact?

Old
07-02-2012, 09:43 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I didn't know that, and that is a good point. I'm sure they could work something out, but it would probably be like he gets the kids in the Summer and for Christmas or something, which means a lot of time where he is not seeing his kids.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:45 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I didn't know that, and that is a good point. I'm sure they could work something out, but it would probably be like he gets the kids in the Summer and for Christmas or something, which means a lot of time where he is not seeing his kids.
Yeah, I was only saying it likely would 't be an issue from a legal standpoint. I don't know how he would feel about it though.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:06 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Why wouldn't he waive to go to Buffalo? The fanbase still loves him there, he'd play with Leino again, his family is familiar with the area.

If a team tells you they don't want you around anymore, why would you want to stay? What if we tell him he is moving to the wing, whether he likes it or not. Sometimes it is just best for both parties to move on. I could see it going down.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Top Cheese Danish

All of the Sabres fans that I know in real life would take Briere back in a heartbeat. Many of them never wanted him to leave in the first place.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Quote:
I agree with this.

Forget Parise and Suter. Get Weber, please.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Prongo
Beer

I highly doubt they will throw an offer sheet at Weber... The Preds are said to have made a very substantial offer to Suter too, they might be able to sign an offer sheet we send their way. It's more of a does Weber want to be there kind of thing now. If Suter leaves and they can't lock up Weber long term, look for them to start quietly seeing what he could get them in return for a trade.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:30 PM
feedingschennzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I believe this is the second time I saw you say this, how do you know this as a fact?
Because he/his son both kinda told me these things. He is ready to retire soon, almost certainly after this contract ends, and was asked to waive for Carolina earlier at the trade deadline but said no. He would however accept buffalo and a few select teams nearby.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
They'd match it. No question.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Aside from Gagne, who's the last player that they asked to waive?
Chill, he wasn't talking about asking players to waive their NMC. He was merely disagreeing with forcing players into performing back and forth hand motion. And I tend to agree with him, that's no franchise, asking players to do that without even qualifying for the ultimate parade for winning the Cup!

Old
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugan View Post
Because he/his son both kinda told me these things. He is ready to retire soon, almost certainly after this contract ends, and was asked to waive for Carolina earlier at the trade deadline but said no. He would however accept buffalo and a few select teams nearby.
Swhatttttt? Wouldn't the big heads on TSN hear about this if it did happen?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:53 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Swhatttttt? Wouldn't the big heads on TSN hear about this if it did happen?
I think players get asked all the time and we don't hear about it. When Holmgren told Gagne to waive it the first time and he refused, word never got out. When he told him the second time and Gagne gave him 1 team, that's when word got out.

Closed Thread