HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergevin news confrence at 4:30

Old
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
TennisMenace

vCash: 500
It still makes me so mad to see our highest paid player be one of our worst. Grrrrrrrrrr

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Lord Chezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
It still makes me so mad to see our highest paid player be one of our worst. Grrrrrrrrrr
Mad?

Lord Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
elsubz

anyone thinks he was maybe trying to land Ott and he failed?

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:39 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Mad?
Sad too!

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:41 PM
NotProkofievian

Are people seriously worried about next season? Next season absolutely does not matter, whatsoever. Bergevin knows this, otherwise, he'd be swinging for the fences with every offensive UFA out there. And that would get us nowhere.

Like Savard said a few days back, all we have to do is be patient. This is a chess game. You don't play chess by trying to win pieces: that is the surest way to lose the game. We have to build strategically to something of much greater quality, and in so doing, turn down material in the present, for material in the future.

Bergevin knows what he wants to do: he wants to lead this team to a cup, and he knows he has no move currently that will expedite that goal any faster than letting the chips fall where they may so far as this season goes, while patching up some more minor weaknesses. Our strongest need next year, is to have another draft like the one we just had. That will really put us into position 3 or 4 years down the line. Bergevin doesn't necessarily want a playoff team next year, he wants a contender in 3-4 years.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Are people seriously worried about next season? Next season absolutely does not matter, whatsoever. Bergevin knows this, otherwise, he'd be swinging for the fences with every offensive UFA out there. And that would get us nowhere.

Like Savard said a few days back, all we have to do is be patient. This is a chess game. You don't play chess by trying to win pieces: that is the surest way to lose the game. We have to build strategically to something of much greater quality, and in so doing, turn down material in the present, for material in the future.

Bergevin knows what he wants to do: he wants to lead this team to a cup, and he knows he has no move currently that will expedite that goal any faster than letting the chips fall where they may so far as this season goes, while patching up some more minor weaknesses. Our strongest need next year, is to have another draft like the one we just had. That will really put us into position 3 or 4 years down the line. Bergevin doesn't necessarily want a playoff team next year, he wants a contender in 3-4 years.
I agree.

Getting more picks next year would allow us to stock the cupboard for a longer period, as well. To help keep up competitve longer. Building from within is important.

Also, it gives him a year to assess his team.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:48 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

But this is what puzzles me about next season. Its clear our top 6 needed a winger, Jagr would've done well to block that problem while our players developed in Hamilton. I fear Bourque on the 2nd line is going to cause a lot of problems leading to the rushing of Leblanc back into the NHL or Gallagher into the NHL. That's problematic to me.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
But this is what puzzles me about next season. Its clear our top 6 needed a winger, Jagr would've done well to block that problem while our players developed in Hamilton. I fear Bourque on the 2nd line is going to cause a lot of problems leading to the rushing of Leblanc back into the NHL or Gallagher into the NHL. That's problematic to me.
On the flip side, if he produces half decently with the inflated icetime it might drive up his trade value so we can acquire a mid round 2013 pick or two.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:59 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
On the flip side, if he produces half decently with the inflated icetime it might drive up his trade value so we can acquire a mid round 2013 pick or two.
I'm not holding my breath.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
This is possibly problematic. However, I think Gallagher/Leblanc have the right attitude to deal with the NHL next year. I would be more worried about rushing a guy like Beaulieu to the show. He's got the talent, but he needs to be groomed into a professional.

...Leblanc just needs to eat a couple thousand sammiches.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
This is possibly problematic. However, I think Gallagher/Leblanc have the right attitude to deal with the NHL next year. I would be more worried about rushing a guy like Beaulieu to the show. He's got the talent, but he needs to be groomed into a professional.

...Leblanc just needs to eat a couple thousand sammiches.
He needs to do more than that. He needs to learn how to shoot a puck and he needs to learn how to see the ice better, make more accurate passes and how to beat defenders on the rush.

He needs a full-season (keeping in mind brief 2-3 game call-ups) in Hamilton to learn how to do these things against NHL prospects, NHL journeyman and career pro players before he can do them against NHL players.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
This is a joke right?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
He needs to do more than that. He needs to learn how to shoot a puck and he needs to learn how to see the ice better, make more accurate passes and how to beat defenders on the rush.

He needs a full-season (keeping in mind brief 2-3 game call-ups) in Hamilton to learn how to do these things against NHL prospects, NHL journeyman and career pro players before he can do them against NHL players.
Couldnt agree more. You guys are both arguing similar points. Its clear that a pick in the top ten of the 2013 draft would be ideal. In 2 years time this team will be very good. Still, teams like the Penguins have so much present and future depth its insane. To compete with that one must accumulate ELITE youth. Mackinnon or Jones would certainly help in that regard.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

Sending him down to the A is probably the best move for him to start with, but I'm skeptical that he would be staying there the entire season regardless of bourque's production.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:23 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's the 8th highest paid skater on the team. We need to expect a bit less.
I don't like this analogy. We have 2 forwards making top 6 money and not performing at that level. Obviously Gomez is one of them and our fifth highest payed forward is Bourque. I really wasn't happy with the trade and personally I would like to see an opening day roster without Bourque. On the other hand I understand that hockey is a business and getting rid of Bourque now that his value is atrocious is not something the habs can do. So I guess what I am saying is give him another chance, a fresh start like everyone is going to have under a new coach and management. Like some have said, at his salary 20 goals, 40 points will be enough for me to forgive him. I just hope Therrien can find a way to inspire him and inspire the team. (I have my doubts about Therrien)

CrAzYNiNe is online now   Reply With Quote