HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergevin news confrence at 4:30

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
  #401
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
It still makes me so mad to see our highest paid player be one of our worst. Grrrrrrrrrr

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:31 PM
  #402
Lord Chezz
Registered User
 
Lord Chezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
It still makes me so mad to see our highest paid player be one of our worst. Grrrrrrrrrr
Mad?

Lord Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
  #403
elsubz
Registered User
 
elsubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,881
vCash: 500
anyone thinks he was maybe trying to land Ott and he failed?

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:39 PM
  #404
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Mad?
Sad too!

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:41 PM
  #405
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 500
Are people seriously worried about next season? Next season absolutely does not matter, whatsoever. Bergevin knows this, otherwise, he'd be swinging for the fences with every offensive UFA out there. And that would get us nowhere.

Like Savard said a few days back, all we have to do is be patient. This is a chess game. You don't play chess by trying to win pieces: that is the surest way to lose the game. We have to build strategically to something of much greater quality, and in so doing, turn down material in the present, for material in the future.

Bergevin knows what he wants to do: he wants to lead this team to a cup, and he knows he has no move currently that will expedite that goal any faster than letting the chips fall where they may so far as this season goes, while patching up some more minor weaknesses. Our strongest need next year, is to have another draft like the one we just had. That will really put us into position 3 or 4 years down the line. Bergevin doesn't necessarily want a playoff team next year, he wants a contender in 3-4 years.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
  #406
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Are people seriously worried about next season? Next season absolutely does not matter, whatsoever. Bergevin knows this, otherwise, he'd be swinging for the fences with every offensive UFA out there. And that would get us nowhere.

Like Savard said a few days back, all we have to do is be patient. This is a chess game. You don't play chess by trying to win pieces: that is the surest way to lose the game. We have to build strategically to something of much greater quality, and in so doing, turn down material in the present, for material in the future.

Bergevin knows what he wants to do: he wants to lead this team to a cup, and he knows he has no move currently that will expedite that goal any faster than letting the chips fall where they may so far as this season goes, while patching up some more minor weaknesses. Our strongest need next year, is to have another draft like the one we just had. That will really put us into position 3 or 4 years down the line. Bergevin doesn't necessarily want a playoff team next year, he wants a contender in 3-4 years.
I agree.

Getting more picks next year would allow us to stock the cupboard for a longer period, as well. To help keep up competitve longer. Building from within is important.

Also, it gives him a year to assess his team.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:48 PM
  #407
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,323
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Are people seriously worried about next season? Next season absolutely does not matter, whatsoever. Bergevin knows this, otherwise, he'd be swinging for the fences with every offensive UFA out there. And that would get us nowhere.

Like Savard said a few days back, all we have to do is be patient. This is a chess game. You don't play chess by trying to win pieces: that is the surest way to lose the game. We have to build strategically to something of much greater quality, and in so doing, turn down material in the present, for material in the future.

Bergevin knows what he wants to do: he wants to lead this team to a cup, and he knows he has no move currently that will expedite that goal any faster than letting the chips fall where they may so far as this season goes, while patching up some more minor weaknesses. Our strongest need next year, is to have another draft like the one we just had. That will really put us into position 3 or 4 years down the line. Bergevin doesn't necessarily want a playoff team next year, he wants a contender in 3-4 years.
But this is what puzzles me about next season. Its clear our top 6 needed a winger, Jagr would've done well to block that problem while our players developed in Hamilton. I fear Bourque on the 2nd line is going to cause a lot of problems leading to the rushing of Leblanc back into the NHL or Gallagher into the NHL. That's problematic to me.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:54 PM
  #408
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
But this is what puzzles me about next season. Its clear our top 6 needed a winger, Jagr would've done well to block that problem while our players developed in Hamilton. I fear Bourque on the 2nd line is going to cause a lot of problems leading to the rushing of Leblanc back into the NHL or Gallagher into the NHL. That's problematic to me.
On the flip side, if he produces half decently with the inflated icetime it might drive up his trade value so we can acquire a mid round 2013 pick or two.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:59 PM
  #409
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,323
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
On the flip side, if he produces half decently with the inflated icetime it might drive up his trade value so we can acquire a mid round 2013 pick or two.
I'm not holding my breath.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
  #410
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
But this is what puzzles me about next season. Its clear our top 6 needed a winger, Jagr would've done well to block that problem while our players developed in Hamilton. I fear Bourque on the 2nd line is going to cause a lot of problems leading to the rushing of Leblanc back into the NHL or Gallagher into the NHL. That's problematic to me.
This is possibly problematic. However, I think Gallagher/Leblanc have the right attitude to deal with the NHL next year. I would be more worried about rushing a guy like Beaulieu to the show. He's got the talent, but he needs to be groomed into a professional.

...Leblanc just needs to eat a couple thousand sammiches.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
  #411
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,323
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
This is possibly problematic. However, I think Gallagher/Leblanc have the right attitude to deal with the NHL next year. I would be more worried about rushing a guy like Beaulieu to the show. He's got the talent, but he needs to be groomed into a professional.

...Leblanc just needs to eat a couple thousand sammiches.
He needs to do more than that. He needs to learn how to shoot a puck and he needs to learn how to see the ice better, make more accurate passes and how to beat defenders on the rush.

He needs a full-season (keeping in mind brief 2-3 game call-ups) in Hamilton to learn how to do these things against NHL prospects, NHL journeyman and career pro players before he can do them against NHL players.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
  #412
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
On the flip side, if he produces half decently with the inflated icetime it might drive up his trade value so we can acquire a mid round 2013 pick or two.
This is a joke right?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
  #413
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He needs to do more than that. He needs to learn how to shoot a puck and he needs to learn how to see the ice better, make more accurate passes and how to beat defenders on the rush.

He needs a full-season (keeping in mind brief 2-3 game call-ups) in Hamilton to learn how to do these things against NHL prospects, NHL journeyman and career pro players before he can do them against NHL players.
Couldnt agree more. You guys are both arguing similar points. Its clear that a pick in the top ten of the 2013 draft would be ideal. In 2 years time this team will be very good. Still, teams like the Penguins have so much present and future depth its insane. To compete with that one must accumulate ELITE youth. Mackinnon or Jones would certainly help in that regard.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
  #414
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He needs to do more than that. He needs to learn how to shoot a puck and he needs to learn how to see the ice better, make more accurate passes and how to beat defenders on the rush.

He needs a full-season (keeping in mind brief 2-3 game call-ups) in Hamilton to learn how to do these things against NHL prospects, NHL journeyman and career pro players before he can do them against NHL players.
Sending him down to the A is probably the best move for him to start with, but I'm skeptical that he would be staying there the entire season regardless of bourque's production.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:23 AM
  #415
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's the 8th highest paid skater on the team. We need to expect a bit less.
I don't like this analogy. We have 2 forwards making top 6 money and not performing at that level. Obviously Gomez is one of them and our fifth highest payed forward is Bourque. I really wasn't happy with the trade and personally I would like to see an opening day roster without Bourque. On the other hand I understand that hockey is a business and getting rid of Bourque now that his value is atrocious is not something the habs can do. So I guess what I am saying is give him another chance, a fresh start like everyone is going to have under a new coach and management. Like some have said, at his salary 20 goals, 40 points will be enough for me to forgive him. I just hope Therrien can find a way to inspire him and inspire the team. (I have my doubts about Therrien)

CrAzYNiNe is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.