HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colorado signs D Greg Zanon (2 years, $4.5 million - $2.25m AAV)

Old
07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Give minutes to guys like Gaunce, Elliott and Barrie instead of signing journeymen, average D.
I'm afraid that ship has sailed. The Avs have signed pretty decent salaries for defensemen 1-7 for the next two seasons.

I'm struggling to find the scenario (short of lots of injuries) in which Barrie/Elliott/Gaunce get significant playing time until 2014.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:49 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Lol you guys sure do like to build guys up. First Jay McClement is some sort of defensive/PK DEMIGOD who is WORTH TWICE the amount he eventually got as a UFA and now Ryan O'Byrne is a defensive stalwart??
LOL.

Best post of the day.

-AB

Old
07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I'm afraid that ship has sailed. The Avs have signed pretty decent salaries for defensemen 1-7 for the next two seasons.

I'm struggling to find the scenario (short of lots of injuries) in which Barrie/Elliott/Gaunce get significant playing time until 2014.

-AB
Each team is essentially guaranteed 2 injuries on the blue line at any given time during the season. That's how i guess.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Each team is essentially guaranteed 2 injuries on the blue line at any given time during the season. That's how i guess.
I agree. That's not really promoting young guys to the NHL, however.

In truth, I'm OK with them letting those three guys (4, if we count Siemens) getting 25 minutes per night - every night - in Erie for a year or two.

-AB

Old
07-02-2012, 10:12 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:

In truth, I'm OK with them letting those three guys (4, if we count Siemens) getting 25 minutes per night - every night - in Erie for a year or two.

-AB
I guess I'm just anxious. I've seen them so much and know what they can be capable of and hate to hear people starting to doubt what they will ever develop.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:17 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
I guess I'm just anxious. I've seen them so much and know what they can be capable of and hate to hear people starting to doubt what they will ever develop.
I'm with you.

One of the most painful things to watch in a young hockey player, is to watch a young defenseman try to figure out the nuances of the NHL game. And then have the patience to live through the inevitable issues that come about. I suspect I'm older than most posters in here, but I distinctly remember Chris Pronger's first few years in the NHL, and they were (at times) ugly indeed. Given today's overall speed in the NHL, it can be tough.

That said, playing time is a really damn important part of development for a young defenseman. Given the Avs' signings this offseason, I believe the only way Elliott/Guance/Barrie are going to get big minutes, is for them to be in the AHL. I most certainly do not wish to see them wasting time in a suit in the stands at the Pepsi Center for 3 months at a clip this season.

-AB

Old
07-02-2012, 10:24 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
I personally don't mind it either. Detroit has been spewing out players for years, I mean Smith is what 24 or something and just starting to get a crack at the wings?

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Avs71

I don't remember watching Zanon play at all.

Just scouted him with youtube though. Looks like he can throw a decent hit every now and then.

If he plays close to 82 games it looks like he should lead the team in shot blocking and maybe hitting.

He also sounds a lot like Scott Hannan.

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Lol you guys sure do like to build guys up. First Jay McClement is some sort of defensive/PK DEMIGOD who is WORTH TWICE the amount he eventually got as a UFA and now Ryan O'Byrne is a defensive stalwart??

I like Hejda and RoB just fine but Zanon is at least as good as those guys defensively. You can believe what you want.
I don't think we can make a strong claim either way right now on how Zanon will fit in on the Avs, and his comparison to ROB.

My opinion of ROB is pretty high though. He's played about as well or better than any defensive defenseman on the Avalanche since Foote in his prime. Everyone else except for maybe Hannan has been much more inconsistent in how effectively they play their role. At $1.8 M I think he's a great deal.

On the other hand, basically all the impressions on Zanon's deal from Wild fans were, "I can't believe he got a raise after his play the last two years with Minny and Boston." He made $1.933 before his recent deal.

Again, I haven't seen Zanon play consistently, and you never know how a guy will fit in on a new team, but my initial impression would be that it isn't that outrageous to expect ROB to be a better defenseman for the Avs.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Zanon is perfect 3rd pairing D-man, he can hit, block shots, he's decent defensively, he's leaves everything on the ice and unlike SOB he knows his limits. Considering his comaprison with ROB, I'd rate ROB's defensive prowess higher than Zanon's.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:57 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
I wonder what number Zanon will wear. 7? 2?

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
I don't remember watching Zanon play at all.

Just scouted him with youtube though. Looks like he can throw a decent hit every now and then.

If he plays close to 82 games it looks like he should lead the team in shot blocking and maybe hitting.

He also sounds a lot like Scott Hannan.
I think we're missing the most important aspect of those clips.

5 out of the 7 he's playing on the right side. Very interesting in relation to ROB's future.

Old
07-13-2012, 05:21 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I think we're missing the most important aspect of those clips.

5 out of the 7 he's playing on the right side. Very interesting in relation to ROB's future.
Maybe that's why he didn't do as well in MIN. He might be more comfortable on the left side.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
Maybe that's why he didn't do as well in MIN. He might be more comfortable on the left side.
Possibly. One of the two clips he was playing the left was the Boston one.

Quote:

-AB
Exactly. There will be injuries and they can earn their NHL minutes with their play.

They may take huge steps in their development next year, but the idea of leaving a spot open for them at this point on the blueline is rooted in bias, rather than prudence.

Old
07-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Colorado Avalanche

thx for nice video clips!

Hmmmm, I'm still wondering, If we could have gotten someone offensively gifted to defense. I think we are gonna have trouble getting puck out of our own zone, because of that.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
I wonder what number Zanon will wear. 7? 2?
I really hope he doesn't wear #7. Wear 4 or 2.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:59 PM
the_fan

Zanon signing would be good if he plays where he suppose to 3rd pair, but knowing the Avs they'll give Zanon more than he can handle like top pair minutes.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
thx for nice video clips!

Hmmmm, I'm still wondering, If we could have gotten someone offensively gifted to defense. I think we are gonna have trouble getting puck out of our own zone, because of that.
Agree.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't think we can make a strong claim either way right now on how Zanon will fit in on the Avs, and his comparison to ROB.

My opinion of ROB is pretty high though. He's played about as well or better than any defensive defenseman on the Avalanche since Foote in his prime. Everyone else except for maybe Hannan has been much more inconsistent in how effectively they play their role. At $1.8 M I think he's a great deal.

On the other hand, basically all the impressions on Zanon's deal from Wild fans were, "I can't believe he got a raise after his play the last two years with Minny and Boston." He made $1.933 before his recent deal.

Again, I haven't seen Zanon play consistently, and you never know how a guy will fit in on a new team, but my initial impression would be that it isn't that outrageous to expect ROB to be a better defenseman for the Avs.
I think the first sentence, you meant "I am pretty high though".

I think saying that ROB has played as well as any defensive d-man on the Avs since Foote in his prime is a huge stretch. You are entitled to your opinion but I see ROB as just too limited to be considered that highly. Don't get me wrong, he can play a pretty sound defensive game but don't ask him to be a puck mover, or handle the puck a lot which even as a defensive d-man, that kind of limits him a lot in my opinion.

Besides, Foote in his prime was what 10-12 years ago, you can still put these guys ahead of ROB since then :

Greg de Vries
Aaron Miller
Jon Klemm - either slightly better than ROB or at least EVEN.
Bryan Muir - OK, I'm just kidding on that one.
D. Kasparaitus
K. Skrastins - most of the time.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:41 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

Quote:

Greg de Vries
Aaron Miller
D. Kasparaitus

muir wasnt anything special and kasparaitus was junk with us.

skip2mybordeleau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

I think saying that ROB has played as well as any defensive d-man on the Avs since Foote in his prime is a huge stretch. You are entitled to your opinion but I see ROB as just too limited to be considered that highly. Don't get me wrong, he can play a pretty sound defensive game but don't ask him to be a puck mover, or handle the puck a lot which even as a defensive d-man, that kind of limits him a lot in my opinion.

Besides, Foote in his prime was what 10-12 years ago, you can still put these guys ahead of ROB since then :

Greg de Vries
Aaron Miller
D. Kasparaitus
Defensively, I think ROB has played just as well as Skrastins, Miller, de Vries, and Klemm who I consider the only ones on that list on the same level of play. Kaspar didn't really fit in with the Avs, and tried to play a different style that he wasn't used to. I would put Hannan in the list you mentioned as well.

I think if the Avs decide to keep ROB, you'll see in a few years that he can be put in the category with those others. The thing that makes a name for a defensive defenseman is a strong playoff run and performance. He hasn't had a chance at that yet.

It's what made names for Gill a couple times. It's what made a name for Mitchell, including the most recent time where people had been questioning his ability a couple seasons prior. It's what gave a strong reputation to Douglas Murray, Hannan, and Mattias Nordstrom. It's also why we remember de Vries and Miller fondly.

I think ROB's level of play since he's been here has been about as consistent and effective as you can hope for a defensive defenseman, especially in this era, and it's very comparable to any of those other Avs regular seasons.

How much higher can you view other Avalanche defensive defenseman when the way you judge them is how well they keep the puck out of the net, and how consistent they have been? That's what ROB has been and done with the same level of consistency as them IMO. Those other guys weren't force fields, with foot speed that ROB doesn't have. They had occasional tough shifts against speedy forwards, and let in the odd goal as well.

They can't be viewed that much higher because they don't put up points to compare. They just keep things simple and keep the puck out of the net, and ROB has done that as well as them. He's done so in a respectable second pairing type of role, and in multiple pairings as well which is important in how I view a defenseman. He played well when paired with Liles allowing Liles' game to grow again, and he's also played very well in a shutdown pair with Hejda. Hence the idea that he's on their level IMO.

What he needs now is a playoff run to make his name, and I personally think he's capable of playing a big role on a strong playoff team.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 07-14-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old
07-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

Greg de Vries
Aaron Miller
D. Kasparaitus
Just re-reading this and wanted to add that we can't really compare defensive defenseman and give a lot of importance to puck moving. Even that said, only de Vries was a better puck mover on that list.

ROB isn't that great with the puck, but there's been worse on the Avalanche, and Miller, Klemm, Kaspar, Hannan, and Skrastins weren't really better than him in that regard. It wasn't a strong suit for any of them.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:36 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Zanon reminds me of Brett Clark in so many ways

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:33 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post

PeterTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 05:42 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
pretty much the instant the first good thing anyone had to say about him was "shot blocker"

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote