HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Give Gomez one last chance?

View Poll Results: Give Gomez One Last Chance?
Yes 86 31.62%
No 186 68.38%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
patsbury

vCash: 500
No, he had his chance last year and he knew it coming off a very bad year, he had an ever worst season. Unacceptable. The whole "1 year without a goal for Gomez" was a complete joke and shameful for the whole Habs organization. Some young players are better options at this point with Leblanc and even Palushaj (not as centre obviously)

This is all part of the business.

That being said, Bourque will get his *last chance* season; start producing or your faith with the team will be uncertain.

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Shabutie

Looks like he'll be around at training camp...so;

Patches - DD - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Gio
Moen - Eller - Prust
Armstrong - Gomez - White

Or if we switch DD to the wing and give Gomez a real chance;

Patches - Plekanec - Gio
DD - Gomez - Cole
Moen - Eller - Bourque
Prust - Armstrong - White

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Habs13

Give Gomez another chance? Yeah, that was last year. Ship him off to Hamilton.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
haburger

gomez is gonna be in our starting lineupin come october no doubt.what happened last year doesnt really matter.if he produces he ll stay,if not i'm sure options will be explored.i think he's gonna bounce back personally,not 70 points ,but 50-55 points .

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Why are we insisting to put our best playmaking center(or forward in general for that matter) on the wing when he's a natural C? Ya ya, he's small, I get it, but our of all our offensive centers, he has the best vision and is part of our ONLY working line last year.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
gomez is gonna be in our starting lineupin come october no doubt.what happened last year doesnt really matter.if he produces he ll stay,if not i'm sure options will be explored.i think he's gonna bounce back personally,not 70 points ,but 50-55 points .
35 points and I'm happy. As long as he isn't a liability.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Why are we insisting to put our best playmaking center(or forward in general for that matter) on the wing when he's a natural C? Ya ya, he's small, I get it, but our of all our offensive centers, he has the best vision and is part of our ONLY working line last year.
Because he'd be better there.

He sucks at D , he has literally no understanding of the game.

Putting him on the wing would take defensive pressure.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Saintpatrick

It wouldn't surprise me to see him in the lineup come preseason. I have a feeling that Therrien will try to coach him up. Personally I would have dumped him in the minors last season. As far as I'm concerned he's gotten too many chances and his time has run out. His effort and production are totally unacceptable.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:14 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Marty St. Louis and Daniel Briere both have great vision as well.

They're also not that similar to Desharnais, other than the fact that they're much smaller than the average NHL player.

I defy you to find me one top 6 minute getting centerman in the last 20 years to win a Stanley Cup.

I love what he brings to the table, and I think the potential is there for him to move to the wing and be a continual top 6 guy, or even maybe be an absolutely lethal 3rd line centerman allowed to face inferioer competition due to great depth on the team.

Or maybe he proves me wrong.

But I just think he makes the most sense to move to center.

Also, when Galchenyuk comes in to the picture unless they move a guy who played center in junior, to the wing...they need to move (through trade or realignment) a guy anyways. Why not do that now? Provided Galchenyuk isn't on the team of course.

Why shouldn't Desharnais be able to use his great vision from the wings?

I look at a guy like Eller with goal scoring acumen, speed, size and 2 way capabilities and I think Desharnais would look great on his wing.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
The fans will show management what to do with Gomez if they don't send him to Hamilton... MB will learn the Mtl market the hard way if he doesn't do what's necessary and it won't be pretty.

If Gomez is the reason why we haven't signed free agents like Jagr or Jokinen... then Molson is really a cheap ass owner.

Please, I refrain myself toward Gomez because people who are defending him are dillusionnal and I thought his days were numbered... if it isn't the case, I'll get really mad.
Agreed. But I just can't see management giving Gomez the boot. It's been far too long already and nothing has been done. I'm positive management knows the fans don't want Gomez around. Who knows...

I wish him gone. But the fact is, he doesn't deserve another chance. The idea is just funny. And unless things go ape ****, such as a big group of fans very publicly displaying contempt, management won't boot him. And that's why we'll have to deal with it.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Gomez had better hope that Galchenyuk isn't NHL ready...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:19 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
No, he had his chance last year and he knew it coming off a very bad year, he had an ever worst season. Unacceptable. The whole "1 year without a goal for Gomez" was a complete joke and shameful for the whole Habs organization. Some young players are better options at this point with Leblanc and even Palushaj (not as centre obviously)

This is all part of the business.

That being said, Bourque will get his *last chance* season; start producing or your faith with the team will be uncertain.
Fair answer. Agree or not.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
PATCHESx67

They can find a spot for him on the line up has long as it doesn't take away Eller's time,Lars is part of our future and is getting better & it's the total opposite for Gomez

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 400

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Hugo Sham

so where's gomez playing? taking eller's time? on the 4th with our 'grit'? yeah that'd work

how about the wing? he's certainly good at winning puck battles and holding possession

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me to see him in the lineup come preseason. I have a feeling that Therrien will try to coach him up. Personally I would have dumped him in the minors last season. As far as I'm concerned he's gotten too many chances and his time has run out. His effort and production are totally unacceptable.
This I agree. I also like like the idea of Therrien coaching him.....make or brake type of deal!~

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I will be beyond furious if we don't dump Gomez in the minors this year, anything to not have him on the Canadiens. It'd be one thing if he had an appropriate salary, but he doesn't and he won't. He's a joke, and so is this organization if we allow him to continue playing in the NHL. There is literally no reason we shouldn't just play someone younger in his place (or anyone, really) and they will do a similar job, if not a better one.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
so where's gomez playing? taking eller's time? on the 4th with our 'grit'? yeah that'd work

how about the wing? he's certainly good at winning puck battles and holding possession
we tried, he sucked if I recall

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:36 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Because he'd be better there.

He sucks at D , he has literally no understanding of the game.

Putting him on the wing would take defensive pressure.
So you want Plekanec and Eller to be our #1 and #2 centers(assuming Gomez is #3 or #4). Wow. I guess mckinnon will look good in a habs jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Marty St. Louis and Daniel Briere both have great vision as well.

They're also not that similar to Desharnais, other than the fact that they're much smaller than the average NHL player.

I defy you to find me one top 6 minute getting centerman in the last 20 years to win a Stanley Cup.

I love what he brings to the table, and I think the potential is there for him to move to the wing and be a continual top 6 guy, or even maybe be an absolutely lethal 3rd line centerman allowed to face inferioer competition due to great depth on the team.

Or maybe he proves me wrong.

But I just think he makes the most sense to move to center.

Also, when Galchenyuk comes in to the picture unless they move a guy who played center in junior, to the wing...they need to move (through trade or realignment) a guy anyways. Why not do that now? Provided Galchenyuk isn't on the team of course.

Why shouldn't Desharnais be able to use his great vision from the wings?

I look at a guy like Eller with goal scoring acumen, speed, size and 2 way capabilities and I think Desharnais would look great on his wing.
Eller is a shadow of Desharnais' offensive vision. I don't mean to disrespect Eller but Desharnais finished top 20 in center scoring. I don't understand what more he's supposed to do.

I really don't get it. Desharnais was on the wing and did MUCH better as a center. So, put him back on wing?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:37 PM
kassian

Each year it's the same thread popping up, asking whether Gomez deserves another chance or not. Answer's no. Gomer blew his chances and besides that, he just doesn't fit in the lineup anymore. To be honest, I'd rather have anyone play over him at this point.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:41 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
So you want Plekanec and Eller to be our #1 and #2 centers(assuming Gomez is #3 or #4). Wow. I guess mckinnon will look good in a habs jersey.

Eller is a shadow of Desharnais' offensive vision. I don't mean to disrespect Eller but Desharnais finished top 20 in center scoring. I don't understand what more he's supposed to do.

I really don't get it. Desharnais was on the wing and did MUCH better as a center. So, put him back on wing?
He was on the wing for 43 games of his rookie NHL campaign.

I don't understand why Desharnais can't use that vision on the wing.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Habsoil

As bad as he is and he's simply awful, i will trust MB's judgement and refrain from negativity!
Worse case: they try to increase his value by giving him pp time, o-faceoffs and etc. Only to fall on his face with little to show for it!

Best case scenario: demoted to AHL or we try to increase his value and he succeeds!

Either way, i think this is the last dance for Scotty! Succeed or ride the bus!

I know we are in rebuild mode and MB might just be able to increase his value enough to get a draft pic!
Prob 7th rounder but hey!

Habsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:43 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
He was on the wing for 43 games of his rookie NHL campaign.

I don't understand why Desharnais can't use that vision on the wing.
Plekanec also started his career as a winger but went back to his natural position, because he's more effective there.

I don't see the argument here. On the wing, .51 PPG, as a center .74 PPG and being part of the career years for himself, cole and pacioretty. Yes, let's put him on the wing.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:46 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Plekanec also started his career as a winger but went back to his natural position, because he's more effective there.

I don't see the argument here. On the wing, .51 PPG, as a center .74 PPG and being part of the career years for himself, cole and pacioretty. Yes, let's put him on the wing.
Again...that PPG number as a center is his first 43 games getting any real minutes in the NHL. He was also getting much lower minutes with worse linemates than he did last season.

You're not answering either question.

1) Why can't Desharnais use his vision on the wing
2) Who are comparable guys to Desharnais that have set a precedent that this is a true and viable option?

And again, not saying Desharnais can't have a great impact in the NHL, I just don't see him as a top 6 center though. 3rd line center with some skilled size wingers, or top 6 winger...but just not top 6 center.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Shad

The only problem I have with Gomez is the salary. He is a good team guy and really not that bad of a player when used correctly (still not a 7mil player obv, third line minutes type player). If MB has no other immediate plans for that cap space, then yes I wouldn't mind keeping him as a depth player, and there's always a small chance he picks up his game significantly.

Shad is offline   Reply With Quote