HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2012 - ALL NON-RANGER UFA TALK AND SIGNINGS HERE! (PART IV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
One scouting report went as far to say that when he lays into a hit, the other team doesn't know if they should send out their medical trainer, the EMT, or someone from a funeral home. An exaggeration - most definitely - but it shows the kinds of hits you can expect. That, and he isn't shy to drop the gloves.

There still is one flaw with him (He doesn't sake well) but I think that can be rectified and I honestly think the Rangers would be better off keeping him.
Actually his flaws are gap control, hockey IQ and looking for the big hit too much, not skating. By all accounts his skating has improved significantly but wasn't bad to begin with.

Edit: He is off limits. He represents a dynamic the Rangers do not have in their lineup presently. If McI develops he will be a Jeff Beukeboom type. I would love a guy that makes the other team keep their head on a swivel the entire game.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:58 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
What "scouting reports"?

Not internal Rangers scouting reports. Have you seen him play? He's a future top four probable top 3 defensemen.

What ever scouting reports you're reading are full of ****.
Calm down

I came here to ask about his value and what it would take to get him, I read what I read and that's where my initial value point began.

certainly didn't mean to insult anyone

Old
07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
We certainly have a few very good young defensemen. But, for many of us, our lack of defensive depth is a bigger culprit as to why we didn't make it to the SCF than our lack of offense. A lack of depth is the complete opposite of a glut.
Not taking a stab here, but the perception I got from the media was that you guys lacked offensive finishers.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
That hole needs to be filled with someone who is actually a 3rd liner. Fedotenko is not.
yea time to move on from Feds, good soldier but they have enough bottom 6 guys

Old
07-02-2012, 10:01 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Actually his flaws are gap control, hockey IQ and looking for the big hit too much, not skating. By all accounts his skating has improved significantly but wasn't bad to begin with.
Really? Because I heard that his first strides take him nowhere, and that his skating fell between below-average and average.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
Really? Because I heard that his first strides take him nowhere, and that his skating fell between below-average and average.
I've heard his skating has improved. Would you guys consider him ready to step into the NHL?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
That hole needs to be filled with someone who is actually a 3rd liner. Fedotenko is not.
There's a hole on the third line AND the fourth line.

Running Rupp and Asham out there together is begging to be pinned in the defensive zone.

Under no circumstances should both dress at the same time...ever.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Callahan
Dubinsky Anisimov x
Asham/Rupp Boyle x

Two holes

McDonagh Girardi
Staal x
Del Zotto x
Bickel

Two holes.

Four holes in total to fill. Which is why they need to be productive tomorrow. Before they get back into Nash discussions. Before Parise makes his decision and everyone scoops up the bargains.

Pyatt
Stralman (preferred) or another D
Eminger or another D
Fedotenko or another depth forward

Should be priority tomorrow and no reason that can't get done.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:05 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Edit: He is off limits. He represents a dynamic the Rangers do not have in their lineup presently. If McI develops he will be a Jeff Beukeboom type. I would love a guy that makes the other team keep their head on a swivel the entire game.
Exactly my sentiment, and that only gets compounded further knowing he doesn't back down from a fight.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

So, has Howson come down off his medications yet?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyintherain View Post
I've heard his skating has improved. Would you guys consider him ready to step into the NHL?
No, he probably isn't ready. If you look at this type of player, tough defenseman, they take longer to develop.

To use Jeff Beukeboom as a guide. It took him till the age of 23-24 to be regular in the lineup. Even if McI is more advanced than that, he is still most likely a year away.

Quote:
Exactly my sentiment, and that only gets compounded further knowing he doesn't back down from a fight.
Yeah I don't disagree with you much at all.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:11 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

It's kinda unfair for criticizing Sather for not adding anyone yet IMO.

I guarantee you he has a few very competitive offers out. It is kind of ridiculous but Parise's decision DOES affect when other players sign. If he signs for 9-10M per with the Wild every single agent out there is going to reset their clients' market values based on that. It all trickles down.

Oh and I also don't blame him because the market is miserable.

SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Calm down

I came here to ask about his value and what it would take to get him, I read what I read and that's where my initial value point began.

certainly didn't mean to insult anyone
You didn't insult anyone. So theres no need to worry.

McIlrath may take a couple of years here. As do most defensemen. But he's no less valuable to the Rangers than Zibanejad is to the Senators.

Realistically, Sather and Gorton would expect a player like Zibanejad or Michalek in return for McIlrath.

They're reluctant to add him in a package for Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan.

Old
Vitto79

Quote:

Running Rupp and Asham out there together is begging to be pinned in the defensive zone.

Under no circumstances should both dress at the same time...ever.

Four holes in total to fill. Which is why they need to be productive tomorrow. Before they get back into Nash discussions. Before Parise makes his decision and everyone scoops up the bargains.

Pyatt
Stralman (preferred) or another D
Eminger or another D
Fedotenko or another depth forward

Should be priority tomorrow and no reason that can't get done.
I disagree with even considering Feds or Eminger back. No point get some new faces in there.

Stralman would be back if he wants to be back since he was qualified. Also Erixon will be given a chance to win a spot. He did well in the minor so if he bulks up he will make it. Also I will think glass half full with Sauer. If not Bickel/Stralman can fill in till he's back. I think he will be back

I know some people dont like Rupp but thats too bad cause at 1.5 million he is going to play. Hopefully he is fully healthy this yr and he played with Asham in Pittsburgh. They were and still are a very good team so it worked for them why not us?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I said I'd be fine with Pyatt. Or Winnik, Nick Johnson or Cal O'Reilly.

Guys who produced enough last season to be a legitimate offensive upgrade on our 3rd line:

Daymond Langkow
Gilbert Brule (limited sample size, 33 games)
Tim Stapleton
Jason Arnott
Peter Mueller (limited sample size, 32 games)
Andrei Kostitsyn (eww)
Petr Sykora
Kyle Wellwood
Steve Sullivan
Jochen Hecht (limited sample size, 22 games)

Bunch of older players. One likely aberration in Stapleton. 2 players we probably never want to touch (Kostitsyn, Wellwood).

Old
07-02-2012, 10:14 PM
ncmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Agreed, you'd also be looking at losing Ryan in a couple seasons after moving all that talent we were discussing. If not, then you'd probably be looking at signing him to a contract that is as expensive and expires when the sun explodes..
you never know. he may come to love NY and never want to leave

Old
07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
You didn't insult anyone. So theres no need to worry.

McIlrath may take a couple of years here. As do most defensemen. But he's no less valuable to the Rangers than Zibanejad is to the Senators.

Realistically, Sather and Gorton would expect a player like Zibanejad or Michalek in return for McIlrath.

They're reluctant to add him in a package for Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan.
I wouldn't add him in a package for Rick Nash either, but that's mostly because I believe Nash is entirely overrated and that Howson is asking far too much for far too little.

OT: It's very interesting to see how you all view McI in terms of value, coming here I certainly felt Pumple + picks or another prospect would be more than fair but it seems I may have been mistaken, if only from a fans perspective.

note: at least I can get some discussion going here, over on the Sens board they're too busy arguing about team toughness or the lack thereof, go figure eh?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
It's kinda unfair for criticizing Sather for not adding anyone yet IMO.

I guarantee you he has a few very competitive offers out. It is kind of ridiculous but Parise's decision DOES affect when other players sign. If he signs for 9-10M per with the Wild every single agent out there is going to reset their clients' market values based on that. It all trickles down.

Oh and I also don't blame him because the market is miserable.
The market is miserable.

But i don't believe Parise's next contract has any affect on a guy like Pyatt or Meuller. Who should and can be signed tomorrow.

Or Stralman who, too, can be signed tomorrow if the effort was put into him. Give him the respect and talk to him and his family and see if its feasible within their life goals. Don't just throw the QO out there and not follow it up.

Yes, Sather has time. And no one is asking him to go crazy.

But they got Bickel, Asham, Haley, Newbury signed in one day.

Why can't they get Pyatt, Meuller, and Stralman signed in one day?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
OT: It's very interesting to see how you all view McI in terms of value, coming here I certainly felt Pumple + picks or another prospect would be more than fair but it seems I may have been mistaken, if only from a fans perspective.
I think that McIlrath's maturation as a person, more than as a player, has people really valuing him highly. This is a guy who seems like he can grow by leaps and bounds simply from his personality and attitude, plus the fact that he's already improved a lot on the ice since he was drafted.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:19 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
I think that McIlrath's maturation as a person, more than as a player, has people really valuing him highly. This is a guy who seems like he can grow by leaps and bounds simply from his personality and attitude.
So you guys feel he has a great personality/attitude which should make him a good "team" guy? Has he shown any leadership skills during his progression? Future captain or alternate perhaps?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I wouldn't add him in a package for Rick Nash either, but that's mostly because I believe Nash is entirely overrated and that Howson is asking far too much for far too little.

note: at least I can get some discussion going here, over on the Sens board they're too busy arguing about team toughness or the lack thereof, go figure eh?
I'm not 100% on all of the moves that Ottawa made, but if its mostly the same team that faced our Rangers, i don't think toughness should be a concern for your Senators. They were tough.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
So you guys feel he has a great personality/attitude which should make him a good "team" guy? Has he shown any leadership skills during his progression? Future captain or alternate perhaps?
Rangers certainly feel that way. He was named captain of their Traverse City team last year.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Yes.

He captained the Traverse City squad last summer.

He's a leader. He's a guy that won't stop working to become better.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:23 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
I'm not 100% on all of the moves that Ottawa made, but if its mostly the same team that faced our Rangers, i don't think toughness should be a concern for your Senators. They were tough.
Carkner, Foligno and Konopka all gone, lost a total of 350 pims, 3 great character guys that were willing to stick up for teammates and played with a lot of jam.

coming into Ottawa we have Latenderness, Lundin and Methot (who hits but from what I understand isn't overly "tough").

This essentially leaves us with Chris Neil and Zach Smith (who hasn't been the same since taking a big hit last year) to provide jam in a division with Burkes "Truculent" Maple Laffs, the big bad bruins, and teams who picked up Prust and Ott respectively.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
Yes.

He captained the Traverse City squad last summer.

He's a leader. He's a guy that won't stop working to become better.
Sounds like some great intangibles there, what are his other major positives/negatives?

Old
07-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Parise is holding the Rangers up because Howson is waiting for him to sign before he deals Nash. He's trying to get some sort of leverage out of Parise, so best case scenario is Parise goes to the Wild.

After Parise signs the Rangers will push for Nash because that's who Sather wants at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if a deal did happen tomorrow IF Parise signs.

Because of this situation Sather is in a holding pattern knowing that he might need the cap space for Nash, and that the Nash trade may create another hole in the lineup depending on who he gives up.

Closed Thread