HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2012 - ALL NON-RANGER UFA TALK AND SIGNINGS HERE! (PART IV)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 10:30 PM
ncmike

vCash: 500
Four holes in total to fill. Which is why they need to be productive tomorrow. Before they get back into Nash discussions. Before Parise makes his decision and everyone scoops up the bargains.

so maybe they should throw a contract at Semin tomorrow. take it or leave it. it comes off the table at the end of the day. he says no you move on. sign depth on d and go into the season with what they have

Old
07-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyintherain View Post
Sounds like some great intangibles there, what are his other major positives/negatives?
He has a tremendous learning curve, this kid made huge strides in his draft year. He's raw, he's big, and he's mean. He is just now starting to fill out physically. He also has a very solid head on his shoulders and is mature beyond his age IMO.

Negatives? He was drafted before Fowler. That and he's still learning the game.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Parise is holding the Rangers up because Howson is waiting for him to sign before he deals Nash. He's trying to get some sort of leverage out of Parise, so best case scenario is Parise goes to the Wild.

After Parise signs the Rangers will push for Nash because that's who Sather wants at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if a deal did happen tomorrow IF Parise signs.

Because of this situation Sather is in a holding pattern knowing that he might need the cap space for Nash, and that the Nash trade may create another hole in the lineup depending on who he gives up.
I don't understand why Sather is going to increase his push for Nash after Parise signs. As far as I understand, we didn't even make him a serious offer. It's not Sather, but Howson who is holding this up. I'm betting that Howson goes to Sather after Parise signs and says "what now?" and Sather says "same offer as yesterday."

I mean, who do you think is the better poker player?

or

Old
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

You really think Sather can't do two things at once? It's not like he's spending every hour of the business day on the phone with Scott Howson.

If Stralman hasn't signed yet, it isn't because Sather hasn't talked to him. If other more significant moves than Asham haven't happened yet, it isn't because Sather hasn't made offers to other free agents. Enough of this wasted day ********.

I'm going to repeat something I said last night.

It's almost July 3rd. San Jose, Los Angeles, Detroit (except for Samuelsson), Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and the Rangers have yet to make moves of any significance and the FA class is STILL weak. Too much worrying about what did or did not happen today for what the reality is.
Pittsburgh hasn't made any significant moves? They traded Staal and put a 100 million dollar contract offer out to Parise.

Bruins don't have any holes to fill. Other than a backup goaltender.

Red Wings are going after Suter and Parise.

Philly traded JVR for Schenn.

And none of those teams nearly have the amount of holes that need to be filled that the Rangers do.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:35 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Semin and Jagr/Doan. Sign a depth D. Call it an offseason. Go to war with this group. Make a move at the deadline if you need to.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Carkner, Foligno and Konopka all gone, lost a total of 350 pims, 3 great character guys that were willing to stick up for teammates and played with a lot of jam.

coming into Ottawa we have Latenderness, Lundin and Methot (who hits but from what I understand isn't overly "tough").

This essentially leaves us with Chris Neil and Zach Smith (who hasn't been the same since taking a big hit last year) to provide jam in a division with Burkes "Truculent" Maple Laffs, the big bad bruins, and teams who picked up Prust and Ott respectively.

Carkner and Konopka barely played in the playoffs. I don't think Ottawa is going to find it difficult to replace them at all. Konopka's redeeming value was as a face off man. Even then he was almost immediately pulled once the face off was done.

Carkner does have good character and is a true heavy. However, I think you can find someone relatively easy that can fill that slot. He can't play a regular shift, if he does Ottawa is in serious trouble.

Teams lose those type of character players every year. I wouldn't worry they are the easiest to replace.

Foligno, is definitely more skilled than the other 2. He may be more difficult to replace. That swedish kid Silfverberg is most likely slotted there.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Pittsburgh hasn't made any significant moves? They traded Staal and put a 100 million dollar contract offer out to Parise.

And none of those teams nearly have the amount if holes that need to be filled that the Rangers do.
I meant since yesterday afternoon. And putting out an offer isn't the same as making a significant move. If you're going to include contract offers to players as significant moves, than you can include trade negotiations too. I was just naming the big market teams usually most active in the UFA market.

Old
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I don't understand why Sather is going to increase his push for Nash after Parise signs. As far as I understand, we didn't even make him a serious offer. It's not Sather, but Howson who is holding this up. I'm betting that Howson goes to Sather after Parise signs and says "what now?" and Sather says "same offer as yesterday."

I mean, who do you think is the better poker player?
Well that's a good point, what I meant was he'll push to get it done. Not go harder after him by offering more.

Old
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
So I went out today and was disconnected with the social media for a bit. I come back on right to where I last left on the previous FA thread and was convinced he was going to be a Penguin.

Then it's revealed that he needs more time. God ****ing damnit.

07-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Zil

Quote:
That right side got to the conference final.

Unless you see other options that are reasonably priced to fill the right side.

How many right-handed defensemen are available that are worth what they'll get?

Slats can spend 6 months fetching after Nash but can't spend a day talking to Stralman to see if he can convince him and his family to stick around?

Stralman has an opportunity to play top four minutes on a good NHL team.

He was fine, no reason he can't be fine again.
That top six wore down and is one of the reasons we didn't go further. Someone else needs to step in and push Eminger/Bickel out of the starting lineup.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Well that's a good point, what I meant was he'll push to get it done. Not go harder after him by offering more.
In that case, I guess the only thing he can do is say "Enough, Scott. I'm not increasing my offer. Take what's on the table or let's just move on."

Old
07-02-2012, 10:40 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Some of the contracts signed on July 1 were ridiculous. Anaheim gave 3 years to both Sheldon Souray and Bryan Allen. Souray is a 35 plus contract. Torrey Mitchell and Jordin Tootoo got $1.9M per in 3 year contracts. Adam Burish got $1.8M per in a 4 year contract. This league needs a lockout to protect the teams from themselves. They need risk management to give them a call before they finalize these contracts.

5th/6th D are getting close to $4M per. 4th liners are making $2M per. Inflated market.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:41 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

And none of those teams nearly have the amount of holes that need to be filled that the Rangers do.
Huh??? The Rangers have less holes than detroit, philly, and pittsburgh.

PIT and PHI have NO defense. Luke Schenn doesn't all the sudden solidify that putrid philly defense. Pittsburgh's 6 are just awful and yet they are throwing money at a forward. Detroit lost arguably the best defenseman in the game. And yeah they have to fill out their roster. They were whiped right out of the playoffs. Even Boston hasn't done much. They have a similar roster to last year. What happens if teams improve around them. Is Rask going to be able to handle the full time starter role? Are they going to need more scoring now because of it?

The rangers need better depth. It is a big reason why they didn't last. Their top players were overworked because Torts couldn't trust the bottom depth on both offense and defense. People act like the rangers have these huge holes; they make them sound like a club that missed the playoffs. But last time I checked they finished in 1st.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:42 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
I'll see your situation and I'll raise you a situation. Your company is losing clients left and right. You have a stockholder meeting coming up and you are going to have to explain to them why your most profitable branch is bleeding. So they may be looking for a little change in the CFO. So I don't think I need to wait out Dunder Mifflin. I think I just have to wait out you.
I think that similar thinking is what's keeping Sather from budging. Outside of that sweep from the Red Wings in '09, under Howson's tenure, Columbus has finished 13th (x2), 14th, and 15th.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:44 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Anton Stralman is arbitration eligible. The filing deadline is July 5. Its a process.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Some of the contracts signed on July 1 were ridiculous. Anaheim gave 3 years to both Sheldon Souray and Bryan Allen. Souray is a 35 plus contract. Torrey Mitchell and Jordin Tootoo got $1.9M per in 3 year contracts. Adam Burish got $1.8M per in a 4 year contract. This league needs a lockout to protect the teams from themselves. They need risk management to give them a call before they finalize these contracts.

5th/6th D are getting close to $4M per. 4th liners are making $2M per. Inflated market.
The Souray and Allen signings, along with Salo, were the most alarming to me.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:50 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

There's not a lot of support for trading Zibby for McIlrath over on the sens boards atm, personally safe prospect for safe prospect doesn't seem like a bad idea, although i'm not yet sold on Mc's ability to be more than a number 4/5.

At least I have a better feeling for what Rangers fan think he's worth which is more than I had when I came.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
There's not a lot of support for trading Zibby for McIlrath over on the sens boards atm, personally safe prospect for safe prospect doesn't seem like a bad idea, although i'm not yet sold on Mc's ability to be more than a number 4/5.

At least I have a better feeling for what Rangers fan think he's worth which is more than I had when I came.
McIlrath isn't getting traded, especially for another prospect. He's going to be a moose.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:54 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
McIlrath isn't getting traded, especially for another prospect. He's going to be a moose.
So what would you realistically trade him for then?

There's at least 1 sens fan that doesn't believe him to be more than a 6th Dman enforcer so both sides appear to be pretty far apart in terms of value so far.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:55 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I can't see the rangers trading McIlrath for another prospect. The Rangers brass love the kid. He is tough as nails and he will physically punish players. Only way he is getting moved is for a scoring forward.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Zil

Quote:

McIlrath just isn't really available. He's our only relatively high level D prospect on the right side and our right side is a mess right now. Sauer's concussion has left us with absolutely nothing behind Girardi. If we had gotten Schultz he'd be slightly moveable, but right now he's way too important depth-wise.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:56 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
So what would you realistically trade him for then?
This doesn't have to do with Mactruck discussion.

But I went to school with Da Costa. I think he has a lot of talent and could be a nice addition to the 3rd line. Has nice hands.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:00 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
This doesn't have to do with Mactruck discussion.

But I went to school with Da Costa. I think he has a lot of talent and could be a nice addition to the 3rd line. Has nice hands.
DaCosta does indeed have a great set of hands, he's on the smallish side and by all accounts is still learning the pro-game but the on ice vision and offensive instincts are certainly there.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:02 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Ek is reporting TSN (although I don't see it on their page yet. maybe on twitter?): Jokinen to Jets 2 years @$4.5M
looks like $4.5M is the new black.

edit: found it, Darren Dreger on twitter

Old
07-02-2012, 11:03 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I wish the rangers could get him. He does have good offensive instincts. He can be flashy at times. Has good vision and the hands. I'm surprised ottawa pushed him of the depth chart on the nhl club.

Closed Thread