HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

where does Leblanc fit in this puzzle ?

Old
07-03-2012, 12:55 AM
lou4gehrig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
See Pacioretty circa 2010 , playing tons of minutes in Hamilton !

People forget that Pacioretty was labeled a 3rd/4th line energy player before he was sent back to hamilton and show his true offensive potential.
Do you ever notice that the consensus for most of our prospects on Habs HFBoards is that that are 3rd-4th liners or bottom pairing players. That's why when McDonagh was traded, nobody really cried. And guys like Eller, Leblanc, etc are always called 3rd liners max.

Maybe we should give our prospects time and respect to develop.

I guess only Crosby is worthy of being a first line player around here.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
key contributor on a newly stock hamilton team

first call up, but i hope he leads the bulldogs in scoring first

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
double post

Last edited by Redux91: 07-03-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
key contributor on a newly stock hamilton team

first call up, but i hope he leads the bulldogs in scoring first
Pretty much this and there's nothing wrong with it. Leblanc still has lots to learn in Hamilton and being in a leadership role will help him.

Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Teufelsdreck

Where does Louis Leblanc fit in? It's largely up to him. If he improves enough, he could be a Hab fixture for years. If not, he'll end up as another Palushaj.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Where does Louis Leblanc fit in? It's largely up to him. If he improves enough, he could be a Hab fixture for years. If not, he'll end up as another Palushaj.
He's already much better than Palushaj. One year and a few months younger and yet he's actually scored some points at NHL level. Palushaj has what, one goal?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
He's already much better than Palushaj. One year and a few months younger and yet he's actually scored some points at NHL level. Palushaj has what, one goal?
Don't you think I know that?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:56 AM
holyhabs

Shouldn't Leblanc play as a W in the AHL? I can't see him fitting in as a center with Montreal.

Gally, Pleks, DD and Eller are all above him as centers. Even if you think he is better than Eller, Eller is just not the same player on the wing so it wouldn't be smart to move Eller.

Or are we hoping that with time in the AHL Leblanc could develop into a very good 2C?

holyhabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Do you ever notice that the consensus for most of our prospects on Habs HFBoards is that that are 3rd-4th liners or bottom pairing players. That's why when McDonagh was traded, nobody really cried. And guys like Eller, Leblanc, etc are always called 3rd liners max.
You may be remembering incorrectly.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:12 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
He should start in Hamilton. He'll get plenty of games in Montreal when injuries hit.
Agreed, he's a better first call-up than Palushaj and Enquivst were last season.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Lapierre, Eller and Subban gained (within a year) the necessary weight that allowed them to compete (according to their playing styles) against NHL competition.

Once he gains a decent amount of muscle, Leblanc (based on his high compete level, aggressiveness and good toolbox) will be a key top9 contributor. Just picture a grittier version of Tanguay... who, imo, was/is a good (high hockey IQ) player.

Leblanc is a keeper.

In the current context Leblanc will be the right winger of Moen and Eller on 3rd. I am still uncertain regarding his (physical) NHL readiness and I wish for the addition of a top 9 winger; Jagr would be a great stop gap measure while waiting for Leblanc, Eller (long terms I picture him on wings) and Gallagher.

Side note regarding "... he is not an ideal bottom 6 on this team...". Moen – Eller – Gionta would be, imo, a great shutdown line who, in the classical form, would be labelled as a 3rd line. However, in terms of TOI, they would assume a large chunk of the responsibilities. So, from my perspective, Gionta would be a good (and, in terms of lines, a de facto 2nd line winger) shutdown winger. The same "logic" applies to Leblanc: once he is physically ready, he should be able to contribute offensively and defensively.

Again... the kid is a keeper... and I laugh at "eyeontheprize" (I think t was him/her) who called (on his/her blog/official sponsor) this selection "a selection to appease the French fans".

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Palushaj was showing some good hockey by the end.. but to answer the OP question Leblanc will be competing with Palushaj to bump Armstrong/White (who knows how good Armstrong is at this point) down a line.

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 12:59 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Shouldn't Leblanc play as a W in the AHL? I can't see him fitting in as a center with Montreal.

Gally, Pleks, DD and Eller are all above him as centers. Even if you think he is better than Eller, Eller is just not the same player on the wing so it wouldn't be smart to move Eller.

Or are we hoping that with time in the AHL Leblanc could develop into a very good 2C?
Good point. If Habs are thinking ahead, hopefully they are on this as you are.
I agree with you- he would be behind Gally, DD, Pleks, and Eller , so it doesn't look like much chance here unless we move 1-2 of these guys.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Good point. If Habs are thinking ahead, hopefully they are on this as you are.
I agree with you- he would be behind Gally, DD, Pleks, and Eller , so it doesn't look like much chance here unless we move 1-2 of these guys.
It's much easier to adjust from center to wing than from wing to center. At this point he is probably our 1st callup option if one of the top 3 centers goes down so he should be playing center. I can see him as a RW in the NHL.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:45 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's much easier to adjust from center to wing than from wing to center. At this point he is probably our 1st callup option if one of the top 3 centers goes down so he should be playing center. I can see him as a RW in the NHL.
In my opinion, his game is very suited to the wing. Leblanc is at his best battling along the boards.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think this is logical. Have him at least start the season with the Dogs playing the position he played with the Junior, and if it's not working out, move him to the wing. The potential reward of developing a player who can play both positions outweighs any developmental risks, IMO.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:59 PM
teh doors
worst habs poster

Eventually I see him as a great fit with Pacioretty - Desharnais - Leblanc, or maybe even Pacioretty - Leblanc - Desharnais.

teh doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:36 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
best case Louis takes another year in AHL. he's still only 20-21. 10 points in 42 games last year isn't very good for a top 6 player. He needs time to get strong and develop. In two years he'll replace Gionta.
Exactly. Look at the contract structure of the team and insert the youth where the contract aren't renewed.

Best for Leblanc to emerge as a leader of the younglins in the likes of Gallagher and Galchenuyk. These are the three that will replace Gomez, Gionta and Bourque.

And it may be as early as the 2013-14 season.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote