HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penner re-signs [1 yr, $3.25M]

Old
07-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Fine with the signing. I suggested re-signing Penner way back in Jan-Feb, when he was at his worst and we were out of it. I think he is capable of rebounding, and it costs little to keep him. He has been a good influence in the locker and a decent player to have around.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/07/01...medium=twitter

One of the reasons Penner wanted to come back, besides wanting to remain on a Cup winning team, was to play for Coach Sutter (and also Dean Lombardi):
Quote:
Question: What was it like to play for Darryl Sutter?

PENNER: ‘’Darryl was great. I don’t think you would find anybody who would say one bad word about him from our side. Everybody enjoyed his coaching, and more so his personality. He’s a great person, and that translated into a great coach. He came in there and he was honest with the players. He treated everybody fairly and with respect, and he got the most out of us. So, I had a great time. That was also another contributing factor to me coming back, as well as Dean (Lombardi).’’

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:26 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
DustinBrown23

Welcome back @Dustinpenner25 pancake breakfast on pens! #pancakesaregood

Dustin Penner
@Dustinpenner25
@DustinBrown23 apparently there's still room for 2 dustin's in LA. Ha. See ya soon # 2 #drevil #secretundergroundlayer
3 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

This is so awesome to see. This team really has come full circle. When everybody buys in......well we saw the results........ This is a tight team there are no real outsiders ok mabe Loki,hahahaha (see MR 36 hours) Im glad the team has rallyed around Penner. He will do well this year. I am glad for him. He deserves this. Total character guy. Here's to a great comback story.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 06:30 PM
William H Bonney

Very happy about this. If the playoffs Penner can show up for most of the year, a great signing. And if he's struggling, Sutter has clearly shown he will sit him down. Low risk, high reward signing and he's clearly a well liked guy on the team. Welcome back, Pancakes. Great job by Penner and Dean to get this done.

07-01-2012, 07:19 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Good, without him we were starting to look a bit thin (no pun intended). I mean another injury to Gagne and King having a sophomore slump, both very real possibilities, and the Kings would be back to hoping Richardson or Clifford could fill a top 6 role. Now we have a bit more security.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:51 PM
MsWoof

I don't want to wish summer away but I can't wait till the season starts, and hopefully there won't be a work stoppage.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

How can you not root for this guy?

Lolz at Dustin #2 Brown

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:37 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:
DustinBrown23

Welcome back @Dustinpenner25 pancake breakfast on pens! #pancakesaregood

Dustin Penner
@Dustinpenner25
@DustinBrown23 apparently there's still room for 2 dustin's in LA. Ha. See ya soon # 2 #drevil #secretundergroundlayer
3 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

haha thats awesome! Glad to see he's back.

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:15 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I'm also very whatever on this signing, I usually look forward to us re-signing players but I just don't really care that he's back. I wanted Parise but I knew that wasn't realistic. I love the team we have and I think we've got a dynasty (hopefully) but other teams around us are getting better, I just hope Dean doesn't settle and think that bringing the same roster is good enough, because it isn't.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:04 AM
kynen

It's fine that he's back, it's a fair deal for both.

I am more interested in finding out who we're bringing in to replace Kompon though...

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:42 AM
Jetteroheller

Glad to see Penner back, really grew to like him by the end of the season(playoffs).

Jetteroheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:37 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

So this was Leiweke's big news announcement?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:34 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I thought I read Penner needed wrist surgery?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I thought I read Penner needed wrist surgery?
In his conference call, he said that it hasn't affected his golf game (), but that he would have to take care of it soon because it affects hockey. Didn't sound major and he would be ready for camp.

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:01 PM
DaAnimal

It's just so hard not to like this guy.

Like most fans I am "whatever" on this signing. He's got a lot of potential and can really do damage in our Top 6, but this upcoming season he really needs to step it up. If he's paired up with Carter and Richards, then there should be no excuse for not having more than 40 pts.

But I gotta say one thing, ever since Sutter came abroad Penner has shown more enthusiasm on the ice. Like sometimes I see him skate ass off.

We also have plenty of guys who can carry on his position (King and Gagne)

I'm super excited about the upcoming season. If the Kings can do what they did during the playoffs during the regular season we can be witnessing history in the making!

Kopi 80+ pts
Carter 40+ goals
Richards and Brownie 60+ pts
Williams and Penner 40+ pts
King 20+ goals

FUDGE, am I dreaming?

So now that Penner is signed, I guess it is time to bring pancakes to the home opener. If Penner scores I will be tossing a pancake on the ice. So if you see a pancake on the ice, youll know who did it

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:31 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
It's just so hard not to like this guy.

Like most fans I am "whatever" on this signing. He's got a lot of potential and can really do damage in our Top 6, but this upcoming season he really needs to step it up. If he's paired up with Carter and Richards, then there should be no excuse for not having more than 40 pts.

But I gotta say one thing, ever since Sutter came abroad Penner has shown more enthusiasm on the ice. Like sometimes I see him skate ass off.

We also have plenty of guys who can carry on his position (King and Gagne)

I'm super excited about the upcoming season. If the Kings can do what they did during the playoffs during the regular season we can be witnessing history in the making!

Kopi 80+ pts
Carter 40+ goals
Richards and Brownie 60+ pts
Williams and Penner 40+ pts
King 20+ goals

FUDGE, am I dreaming?

So now that Penner is signed, I guess it is time to bring pancakes to the home opener. If Penner scores I will be tossing a pancake on the ice. So if you see a pancake on the ice, youll know who did it

Williams had 59 points on a team that was horrible offensively for 2/3 of the season, I look for him to at least maintain that.

You also might be reaching a bit on King, 10-15 goals is probably more realistic.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Penner is the guy I think most benefited from the carter trade...got slotted into the third line, excelled there, then earned his way onto the second line...I expect some good things next season from him.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Quattro

Think about this team if we get Penner playing anywhere near his potential, Gagne contributing for a significant portion of the season, Carter playing like himself for a whole season and a healthy Mike Richards?

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:06 PM
no name

I have no strong feeling about this signing. I do like the fact that it's 1 year. Maybe Penner will be motivated for another cup and a longer contract.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Yeah, you beat me to it...would sure love to have been a fly on the wall during that meeting.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:27 PM
deeshamrock

The conversation that Lisa Dillman tweeted about DS and DP was very telling. That DS pulled no punches, spoke to DP 'man to man' and DP bought into the whole pitch and took less $ to stay.
DS might be the best kind of coach for DP and it could be that DS is the guy who will unleash a beast in him.
I also think Richards is good for him, that intensity and tenacity he brings tends to make his linemates work harder. Carter adds the kill shots and the Kings have themselves one helluva line...a line that also plays 200 feet of hockey.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
KingsCorona

Happy to have Pancakes back, he's a likeable dude and I'm glad we're giving him a shot to regain his regular season form after having such a great playoff performance.

KingsCorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Squeeven

Sharks fan here, I come in peace. If this deal was any more than 1 year I'd say it was a bad deal because as you all know he had a rough season until the playoffs. What would you guys say if it was like 2 or 3 years out of $3.25? I'm just curious about that because I wonder if he can go back to his old form of being a 40-60 point player.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:21 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
Sharks fan here, I come in peace. If this deal was any more than 1 year I'd say it was a bad deal because as you all know he had a rough season until the playoffs. What would you guys say if it was like 2 or 3 years out of $3.25? I'm just curious about that because I wonder if he can go back to his old form of being a 40-60 point player.

I'm definitely happier that it's a one-year deal. That way Penner has another year to prove himself under the tutelage of Darryl Sutter.

This is Penner's last chance. We saw some brilliance in the playoffs, but if he wants a chance of getting another contract after this one, he's gonna have to step up and put up numbers consistently. I'm expecting 20-25 goals (minimum) and 50-60 points.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote