HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency 2012 (7/1/12)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Anyone suggesting Semin as an option needs to spend more time studying what a "DL type" player is, because Semin is as far from that type as humanly possible.
I think that term has been put out to pasture. And good riddance.

Trading for Jeff Carter, Dustin Penner and Ryan Smyth and making serious runs at Kovalchuk and Gaborik to name a few. None of these guys are ever going to be mistaken for Mike Ricci or Bryan Marchment who were the quintessential Lombardi players.

I think Dean realizes not everyone is going to be a Selke winning forward.

Last edited by Herby: 07-03-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old
07-03-2012, 02:34 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Anyone suggesting Semin as an option needs to spend more time studying what a "DL type" player is, because Semin is as far from that type as humanly possible.
Not that I would like to sign Semin.

But DL did say that he liked him.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Had the Kings not acquired Carter, Semin would have been an option. They're similar players in terms of being deadly shots who can put the net from anywhere inside the blueline, and both are considered enigmatic, with Carter being the far superior defensive player.

Semin is being criticized due to the severe drop in his offensive numbers, but look all across the Caps roster, that was a problem with everyone, including Ovechkin and Backstrom. I think any team that misses out on Parise would be wise to pick him up, whether it be Pittsburgh or Detroit. As a support player, he would work quite well with a playmaking center.

The Kings don't need Semin. Shane Doan has the sandpaper that Dean Lombardi and Darryl Sutter love. If they add any free agent, it should be Doan. He's as close to a Jarome Iginla you'll find right now and it would be great to have another battle tested vet who is hungry to win a Cup.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:42 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Darryl Sutter will set him straight.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:46 AM
cubsfan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
You make it sound like a bad acquisition. Yes iginla makes most sense, because he has a higher chance of joining. But other than that I could care less about iginla not having a cup. I want the team to be long term contenders. Not sign inginla to some silly 2 year deal then have him retire. No thats stupid. Perry is much younger, more of a threat. 5 year contract with him. Id like to see iginla win a cup too, but it'd be stupid to bring him on for a final ride when Perry has longer left in him.

Plus dean looks usually long term, now that we've won he wants to put ahead conistency. How often do you come across a pacific division player who has 40 plus goals and likes players on the kings who is still young. It'd be stupid to go after iginla harder than Perry even though iginla has a better chance of coming here

And if iginla takes a discount to try to win with LA at 3y/3.5m per, and perry wants 5y/8m per what then?

Old
07-03-2012, 03:56 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
when Ryan leaves Perry wouldn't want to stay for the team. He would walk from any contract. Perry has really good friends on the Kings. He would take a shot at a great team. No matter the rivalry. Plus he loves California. I hate him but id love to have a 40 goal scorer with carts and Richards. I know you guys dont like him. Atleast he isn't a nancy, people hate the kings, brown, doughty, the amount of soreness other fans would have with Perry is exponential
Bobby Ryan isn't the key to keeping Perry. I see him resigning barring another collapse next season, which actually is very possible. I also agree he would actually make a good fit in LA as painful as it is to say. He would be a big improvement on Penner and the guy is also an agitator. As long as he knocks off the goalie running crap it could work.

Make a power play of Perry-Carter-Brown Doughty-anyone, troll the rest of HF with it.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:12 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Getz or Perry on my Kings team???

Please never in any dimension existing ever in any time since and before the Big Bang. (future as well, had to make sure no loopholes)

That's how I feel about it.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:07 AM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Getz or Perry on my Kings team???

Please never in any dimension existing ever in any time since and before the Big Bang. (future as well, had to make sure no loopholes)

That's how I feel about it.
Why would the Kings need Getz anyway? No need for another center.

Old
07-03-2012, 06:55 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
Bobby Ryan isn't the key to keeping Perry. I see him resigning barring another collapse next season, which actually is very possible. I also agree he would actually make a good fit in LA as painful as it is to say. He would be a big improvement on Penner and the guy is also an agitator. As long as he knocks off the goalie running crap it could work.

Make a power play of Perry-Carter-Brown Doughty-anyone, troll the rest of HF with it.
I know but its like the domino effect one leaves most will want to leave especially the stars. It would be a lethal combination to have. Honestly i dont care if the fans dont like him, our players do, which will make it easier for the rest to also. Honestly hate him all you want but put him on your team and the cup is ours.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:03 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
Why would the Kings need Getz anyway? No need for another center.
Burke will be all over those guys if they hit free agency.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
The TSN bash fest against him the other day was totally unprofessional.
yes, but that doesn't mean there wasn't any truth to it. The thing that gets me right now is the fact that all anyone is talking abt in regards to acquisitions is a RW. The SCC Kings (and by the way, I will preface Kings with SCC Until they aren't SCC anymore) are fairly set down the right side.

The area of concern for my money and concern is probably too strong a word, is the left side. Particularly LW2.

Also, I'll be very surprised if Doan decides to leave and play for a rival like the SCC Kings. I see him winding up in Philly or somewhere in the east if for no other reason out of loyalty and because he'd probably not enjoy playing his longtime team 6x a year.

I'm convinced the SCC Kings will have to make some deals to improve team and organizational depth, feel better about LW2 and keep moving forward. Fortunately, they have some chips to do it with.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenKing18 View Post
Darryl Sutter will set him straight.
Dustin Brown also says hi.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
123slam

You guys are seriously talking about Corey Fairy on the Kings? What is wrong with you people?! Good player, but you can't respect his ****ing personality. He's a piece of **** and all you have to do is look at the YouTube video of him calling out Datsyuk (nicest guy ever) and the story of him and the Simmonds bobblehead.

I will never welcome him. Never.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

If Ryan Getzlaf hits free agency, you guys better believe he's signing in Toronto. They have a huge need at center and he's played for Brian Burke before. Book it.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
The area of concern for my money and concern is probably too strong a word, is the left side. Particularly LW2.

I'm convinced the SCC Kings will have to make some deals to improve team and organizational depth, feel better about LW2 and keep moving forward. Fortunately, they have some chips to do it with.
Weren't you convinced that the Kings couldn't win the Stanley Cup in 2012?

The Kings depth at forward is near the top of the NHL, how many teams have a better group of top 6 forwards? Top 9? Top 12?

No team is going to be without a position that could be improved, but the Kings have Gagne and Penner available for the LW2 position. That's not a bad position to be in.

In your opinion, who is available for the LW2 that the Kings could trade for? Which UFA would sign with LA to fill that LW2 position?

Old
07-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
If Ryan Getzlaf hits free agency, you guys better believe he's signing in Toronto. They have a huge need at center and he's played for Brian Burke before. Book it.
I have a hard time believing that players like Perry and Getzlaf are going to leave the Ducks because they are aren't doing so well and then sign with Toronto because... well, because why? Because Brian Burke is the GM? Come on now...

Old
07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Weren't you convinced that the Kings couldn't win the Stanley Cup in 2012?
Ah yes, I was the only person on HFBoards who through 60 games thought the Kings were underachieving and had no chance if things kept going the way they were going. Shame on me for citing actual historical statistics that backed that claim.

Quote:
The Kings depth at forward is near the top of the NHL, how many teams have a better group of top 6 forwards? Top 9? Top 12?
Would the SCC Kings have signed Penner if they were confident with Gagne. Would they have had the conversation they had with Penner before signing him if they were confident with him? If the Kings were so confident with these guys, would Shane Doan's name even be mentioned by Lisa and Rich as a possible UFA target? SCC Kings have a terrific lineup, but clearly DL has some top 6 concerns.

Quote:
No team is going to be without a position that could be improved, but the Kings have Gagne and Penner available for the LW2 position. That's not a bad position to be in.
It is if they're healthy...one has more concussions than your average crash test dummy and the other needs wrist surgery, doesn't stay in shape and his desire has been questioned by almost everyone the last year and a half. This is a top6 spot on a Championship team. It's kind of a big deal if these guys can't/don't perform.

Quote:
In your opinion, who is available for the LW2 that the Kings could trade for? Which UFA would sign with LA to fill that LW2 position?
UFA...no one jumps out. Trade? We'll see after the top free agents sign and teams reassess their needs. Most of the chatter before the UFA signing period started was about the void for top UFAs this offseason and how we'd see a lot of trades. SCCLAK have some chips to trade. We'll see who might be dangled in the next few weeks.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Kings don't need Semin. Shane Doan has the sandpaper that Dean Lombardi and Darryl Sutter love. If they add any free agent, it should be Doan. He's as close to a Jarome Iginla you'll find right now and it would be great to have another battle tested vet who is hungry to win a Cup.
That's the one thing I am concerned about going into the new season...we have a team full of champions who had that hunger in the last quarter of the season and the playoffs; will they have that again? Get that Doan who is starving for a title...it would be akin to the Lakers getting Ron Artest in 2010, being the one player on the team who didn't have a ring, he stepped up and made all the difference to winning the second title.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I have a hard time believing that players like Perry and Getzlaf are going to leave the Ducks because they are aren't doing so well and then sign with Toronto because... well, because why? Because Brian Burke is the GM? Come on now...
If they have their 10-11 seasons again, Perry could get Parise money. Getzlaf will get a nice payday as well.

I'm not sure the _ucks can afford that, while paying Souray and Allen $7.1M.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 07-03-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old
07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
SLang

Can we please just stop the Perry to the Kings talk? It is literally making me want to vomit.

There is NOTHING he brings that some other comparable, but less hateful player couldn't bring.

I would cringe every single time the guy takes a shift. DO NOT WANT.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
You guys are seriously talking about Corey Fairy on the Kings? What is wrong with you people?! Good player, but you can't respect his ****ing personality. He's a piece of **** and all you have to do is look at the YouTube video of him calling out Datsyuk (nicest guy ever) and the story of him and the Simmonds bobblehead.

I will never welcome him. Never.
Not that I have a dog in this fight, but reading your post wondered about how you would move forward should the Kings obtain him?

Would you still be an enthusiastic Kings fan?

Last edited by Ron: 07-03-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old
07-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Can we please just stop the Perry to the Kings talk? It is literally making me want to vomit.

There is NOTHING he brings that some other comparable, but less hateful player couldn't bring.

I would cringe every single time the guy takes a shift. DO NOT WANT.
I don't get your attitude either, to be honest...he is a rich talent that could only make the kings stronger...I am having a hard time getting all the hate going on here.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I don't get your attitude either, to be honest...he is a rich talent that could only make the kings stronger...I am having a hard time getting all the hate going on here.
I've seen enough from him to know I don't like him. There is nothing he brings that couldn't be brought by someone else. Really quite simple. If you like him, I'm ok with that.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:56 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Not that I have a dog in this fight, but reading your post wondered about how you would move forward should the Kings obtain him?

Would you still be an enthusiastic Kings fan?
for me, it'd probably be the same as when we had Cloutier. It's like watching Braveheart with nails on the chalkboard behind you. Corey Perry is a textbook wiener. I agree with everyone else

Old
07-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Would the SCC Kings have signed Penner if they were confident with Gagne. Would they have had the conversation they had with Penner before signing him if they were confident with him? If the Kings were so confident with these guys, would Shane Doan's name even be mentioned by Lisa and Rich as a possible UFA target? SCC Kings have a terrific lineup, but clearly DL has some top 6 concerns.
Penner provides the forward depth to help protect against an injury. No way would Dean let Penner walk with no other players available. Of course the Kings would be interested in Shane Doan, he is Dean's wet dream. If the Kings sign Shane Doan, do you think the Kings would keep both Gagne and Penner? Will Doan accept a third line position with the Kings? Do you think Williams would be bumped to the third line?

Every GM in the NHL is trying to improve their team and will look at every possible UFA that may help them improve.

Quote:
It is if they're healthy...one has more concussions than your average crash test dummy and the other needs wrist surgery, doesn't stay in shape and his desire has been questioned by almost everyone the last year and a half. This is a top6 spot on a Championship team. It's kind of a big deal if these guys can't/don't perform.
Well, the Kings just won the Stanley Cup, going 16-4, with Penner as a top 6 forward and Gagne out of all but 4 of those games. I'm okay with the Kings depth at forward right now, but I would also be fine with Dean signing Doan (doesn't cost anything but cap space). I just don't want to see some of the depth traded away for a top 6 forward that might not even be needed. Depth wins championships, not just a great top 6. Dean could always get another top 6 at the deadline if he feels it is needed. No reason to do it before the season begins.

Closed Thread